Teenager's Death Causes Chaos in Ferguson, Missouri

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Amaury, Aug 11, 2014.

1. libregkd -

2. Patman Bof

Wait, I' m confused, who are we talking about now ? Are Ferguson policemen still walking around waving a gun and a badge (or a lack thereof apparently), or would that be the state policemen that were supposed to replace them ?

How could you possibly cook up such a childish defense and expect to get away with it ?

Source :

Huh. If that' s true, that explains a lot.

It could just be a statistical glitch, sure, but when you look at the nation-wide statistics a pattern quickly emerges. For instance white people are more likely to be drug users, but black people are (three times if memory serves) more likely to get arrested for it. By all means don' t take it on my word, check it out for yourself.

I suppose most black people know from experience that they' re more likely to be suspected in the US, just like I know from personal experience that my whitey-whitey, glass-wearing, slickly clothed, pedantic-mouthed face gets away with a lot of ****. I don' t fear walking around with hemp in my pocket because the probability of a cop stop and frisking me for an ID, let alone asking to check my pockets, is extremely unlikely. It only happens when I' m driving and they can' t see my face. The last time it happened the cop wanted to check my alcohol levels at first, but he quickly took it on my word that I didn' t drink more than is legally allowed and dropped it. I kid you not. And that' s just one anecdote in a sea of anecdotes. Gee, I wonder why white people are more likely to be drug users. The double standard is blatant in my country, I assume it' s just as blatant in yours. I know equality is an utopia, an ideal we should strive for but will never actually achieve, but in both our countries the police system clearly isn' t striving as much as it could.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. Amaury Legendary Hero

An update.

US Police Come Under Gunfire, Arrest 31 in Missouri Racial Unrest
    • Source: Reuters
    • Published: August 19, 2014

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Seems things are calming down.

There's a video and there are images in the link below.

Calm Restored in Ferguson, Support for Officer Builds
    • Source: USA Today
    • Published: August 22, 2014

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Zazu, @Misty, @Cloud3514, @Plums, @TheWorldThatNeverWas, @Patman, @libregkd, @Ami Mizuno, @Chad Thundercucc, @Menos Grande, @Sara

New Audio Reveals Pause in Gunfire When Michael Brown Was Shot
    • Source: CNN
    • Published: August 26, 2014

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  6. Misty gimme kiss

There's no reason to mass tag people like that...

I'm not sure whether this many bullets are reflected in the autopsy but I have no idea what sort of relevance this might have since it doesn't change what happened. At any rate, the autopsy shows Brown was shot six times. To correct a previous statement of yours, though, things are NOT calming down. The media would like you to believe so because then people will forget about Ferguson and the movement will lose any awareness and traction it may have gained.

With Ferguson (and really anything) it's best to turn to independent news sources for the REAL news (stay away from CNN, nbc, fox news, etc.). If anyone would like to keep up
    http://america.aljazeera.com/topics/topic/issue/Michael-Brown-Shooting.html
    http://m.democracynow.org/tags/872
    http://iwriteaboutfeminism.tumblr.com/tagged/ferguson (great compilations of tweets from journalists and protestors)
    can grab more when I'm not on my phone

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

I apologize.

While I understand, do know, and agree with you that the media does things like this, whether it's over-exaggeration or whatever, people seemed pretty calm in that video, so things must be calming down, no? Maybe not everywhere, but perhaps it's getting there.

8. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    I think it's less important to know how many shots were fired (after all, it is logical to assume that at least a few shots missed) and more important to note the pause in the shooting. Why did Wilson fire, stop, then resume firing? At the very least, the recording is consistent with eyewitness accounts saying that he fired, stopped, then continued to fire.

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

So I guess there was a riot outbreak the other day, but aside from that, news on this has pretty much stopped. However, the police chief has apologized today.

As always, for the most part, there are videos in the source link below.

• Source: CNN
    • Published: September 25, 2014

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Well, that's something.

I'm plenty happy for him to resign, but resigning isn't the same as being held accountable, which is what really needs to happen.

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Governor Nixon is holding a press conference now, ahead of tonight's grand jury announcement.

Regardless of the outcome of the announcement, Brown's parents are calling for a four and a half minute silence after the announcement is made, in memory of Michael's body being left in the street for four and a half hours.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  13. libregkd -

14. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The official verdict: Darren Wilson will not be indicted.

15. MandyXRiku4ever Twilight Town Denizen

Guys, please keep in mind that this is just the beginning. I know people who live in that area and I'm just hoping that it doesn't get out of hand.
    I just hope that no one will get hurt tonight....>_<

16. Hayabusa Venomous

What I said about this on Facebook:

If ever there was a strong argument for why law enforcement should be equipped with body cameras and identify themselves, it's with the Ferguson case.

(All I can say with certainty right now.)

17. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    "Anyone who doesn't see an explanation for the violence and the anger are either not ****ing trying or they're a part of the problem. All it takes is to read the disgusting racism on ANY article about this. There's your explanation. There's the reason why people are angry. And there's the reason why they've taken to violence."

That's what I had to say about this turn of events. I wish I could say I was surprised at the decision. It's absolutely disgusting that a man walks away from killing an unarmed 18 year old without even going to trial. He should have been tried even if there was ONE member of the jury that had doubts about him being justified, whether or not he IS actually justified. However, dwelling on what happened isn't going to do ****.

What needs to happen now is people need to get involved and change the system, both from within and without. I have no idea how to get this done, but it needs to be done. Remember, the Republicans were scared shitless when Ferguson residents were registering to vote. That says something.

18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Don't make this a political parties "all republicans are racist and are the problem" thing. Robert McCulloch, the prosecuting attorney, and Governor Jay Nixon are both democrats.

19. Amaury Legendary Hero

The rioters don't even care about the issue, one way or the other, and they're unfortunately giving the peaceful and respectful protestors a bad name.

20. libregkd -