tablet stuck in vocal tract (HELP)

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by LARiA, Feb 20, 2015.

1. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

I was supposed to visit a recording studio and have an opera lesson, but welp. Suppose that's cancelled now. FML.

I absolutely don't know wtf to do. I've gone to the doctor's, they were absolutely unhelpful. The pill is still there. The receipt reads that I have laryngitis? Which is totally bullshit imho, any inflammation can be attributed to the fact there's a goddamn tablet lodged in my throat. There's a bit of a language divide, and my grandmother was told merely that I have laryngitis; not that the pill is still there. She doesn't believe me, even though I had a wire shoved up my nose and down my throat and I saw it.

This happened four hours ago. It was a b-12 supplement.

Should I be concerned? Science side of kh-v, is b-12 harmful b/c I know some pills can corrode flesh if caught in the throat (and that's why you should always drink pills with water).

btw one of the ladies working at the hospital was wearing crocks which should have tipped me off right away as to the poor service of the place

update: I've also tried triggering my gag reflex and throwing up but that hasn't worked. can you throw something up when it's stuck in the vocal tract? how work?

2. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Have you tried drinking water in big gulps, by this I mean put some water in your mouth and just 'force' the water down. The pressure might dislodge the pill. That and there should be some good news, the casing can't last forever and will most likely dissolve, especially if you are drinking a lot of water.

3. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

I've already tried that, and I've eaten soft bread as well. To no avail.

It's nice to know that it will probably dissolve, but ... will that not damage the vocal chords? Where will it dissolve? Where has it to go. It is not in the esophagus, afaik. That's the worrisome part.

4. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

You mentioned that it was a vitamin, worse comes to worse it just devolves and either gets absorbed into your system or it just finds some way of making itself out. One thing I do suggest though, is try to relax. Tension is the last thing you want if you want to get something like this out.

One thing I can also suggest as I had this condition in my early years in grade school called 'vocal chord dysfunction', is to try some different breathing exercises. Deep breaths in through your nose, then out through your mouth. Another one is to pant really hard like a dog (weird I know but it has worked in the past). Basically what VCD (vocal chord dysfunction) was is my vocal chords randomly shut throughout the day which caused me some bad breathing problems. Just try your best to relax and do what I said.

I wish you the best though.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  5. Patman Bof

B12 does dissolve in water, though gastric acid is much more efficient to break it down. Forcing yourself to vomit might be quicker than drinking. Wikipedia warns that some B12 pills take quite a lot of time to be dissolved by either (they can reach your guts and still have their casing). If your local medicines are as top notch as your local hospitals ... you might want to brace yourself for a trial in patience.

As for whether it could damage anything ... I wouldn' t bet on it but I don' t think so.

6. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Yeah, I am definitely not going to wait it out. I'll see another doctor tomorrow. Thanks very much for the info, the both of you.