Help Table Code Problems

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Amaury, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Bump.

You guys can also see my signature for the different line thing and non-centered stuff.

2. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Everything is on one line for me, even when I reduce the window size, so I can't really help with the text wrapping. However, the basic alignment tags do work on tables.

Game​
    Type​
    Started​
    Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King Let's Play 4/2/2011
    Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits Let's Play 8/19/2012
    [CENTER][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TH][LEFT]Game[/LEFT][/TH]
    [TH][LEFT]Type[/LEFT][/TH]
    [TH][LEFT]Started[/LEFT][/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King[/TD]
    [TD]Let's Play[/TD]
    [TD]4/2/2011[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits[/TD]
    [TD]Let's Play[/TD]
    [TD]8/19/2012[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE][/CENTER]

EDIT: It seems that the WYSIWYG editor will kill your table by placing the alignment tag on each and every line rather than the table as a whole

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

That was with looking at my gaming / timeline thread, right?

Here's a screenshot, if it helps:

[​IMG]

It seems to only do it when it's a hyperlink, I think.

For example, in my Social Networks tab in my signature, Facebook is appearing as:
    Facebook
    Account

Also, thanks for left-aligning Game while keeping it as a header -- it's exactly what I wanted. The Game column and game titles are all I want left-aligned. The columns Category and Started are centered, but I also want their content (e.g., 4/2/2011) centered. As you can see in the screenshot, they're not.

4. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Considering I have no idea why it would do that, and I would need to relay all attempts through you to see if they work, I just really can't help on the text wrapping.

As for the alignment, you can move any element of the table (or the entire table) with the left, center, and right tags. Just make sure you switch to BBC view and perhaps save the code away on your computer in case you need to edit it, because it will open into WYSIWYG and break itself.

Game​
    Type Started
    Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
    Let's Play​
    4/2/2011​
    Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
    Let's Play​
    8/19/2012​

[CENTER][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TH][LEFT]Game[/LEFT][/TH]
    [TH]Type[/TH]
    [TH]Started[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King[/TD]
    [TD][CENTER]Let's Play[/CENTER][/TD]
    [TD][CENTER]4/2/2011[/CENTER][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits[/TD]
    [TD][CENTER]Let's Play[/CENTER][/TD]
    [TD][CENTER]8/19/2012[/CENTER][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE][/CENTER]

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Yeah, I can see that. We need the actual table to show in the WYSIWYG editor like on vBulletin instead of its BB code, and that doesn't happen on XenForo.

In regards to the table width, or text wrapping, as you call it, there doesn't appear any way of fixing it -- at least I'm not seeing anything.

As you recall, if you were in WYSIWYG Mode on vBulletin, all the table icons were clickable, and you'd click the one with the gear to adjust things like width. If you were in Source Mode, you'd have to edit the BB code, which was this:

Code:
    [TABLE="class: grid, width: 500, align: center"]
    Cassie, once she returns, and / or Mark can probably shed some more light on this.

Thanks for the help, Mixt. Except for the width issue, I can get it looking how I want it now.

6. Misty gimme kiss

Xenforo is not vBulletin. The codes are different, they work differently. Table code functionality is not native to the Xenforo editor, it's bound to have issues. I check often for improved codes & etc., and the Xenforo editor is due for updates once they get out of some legal litigation, but for now you'll have to try to work with the picky code.

There are, however, many other ways to represent information; tables do have their place but lists, images, tabs, etc. are good alternatives.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

I see.

Since it's native, I'm assuming, then, that there's currently no way to adjust the width? I'm going to assume no since you didn't say anything. :)

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

It isn't native (which is why it doesn't mesh all that cleanly with the editor), but it is supposed to auto width to the text. For whatever reason (at least on your machine), it is deciding on a width less than what it needs and then the text wraps. Are you forcing font behavior in your browser perhaps?

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

Oops, that was a typo. That would explain why the table itself doesn't appear in WYSIWYG Mode

As for the font, is this what you're referring to?
    [​IMG]

10. Mixt The dude that does the thing

That is what I was referring to, but all of that is standard (or it closely matches mine at least) so I'm not sure why it can't quite seem to figure it out. It is a pretty minor detail though

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

Hm. I viewed this thread as a guest on Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, and the tables in my signature appeared fine there, so it seems to be a Mozilla Firefox issue. Whatever the difference is between our font settings is probably it.

For the KH-MF tab, even on Mozilla Firefox, I'm not sure why Sean (The Dark Lord) is appearing higher in the cell than the text in the other cells, but that's just probably a formatting mistake on my part.

Anyway...

Mozilla Firefox:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Google Chrome:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Internet Explorer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT - 7:39 PM PST: The Sean thing was a mistake on my part. His name was in several places in that area of my signature, making only one show, but high in the cell.

12. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Yeah, I use Chrome and no longer have Firefox installed to test with. So it might be your settings, or the browser in general. I was just comparing your FF settings with my Ch settings. The settings are identical in every way I can see but due to the different interfaces I can't see everything so I just said mostly.

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

Where are the font settings in Google Chrome? I could compare them to Mozilla Firefox.

14. Mixt The dude that does the thing

The menu is the three horizontal bars to the right of the address bars. In the menu you'll find settings. Click "Show Advanced Settings" at the bottom and it will be in there.

15. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm not sure what the problem is. I looked, and the settings are basically the same. I even tried changing the encoding in View -> Character Encoding from Unicode (UTF -8) to Western (ISO-8859-1) like in the font settings, and it did nothing.

As I'm not willing to move to Internet Explorer, my only options are to just deal with it (unless I'm missing something) or move to Google Chrome.

I suppose we could also have you test Mozilla Firefox if you'd be willing to download it for that. Maybe I'm missing something and you need to see the settings for yourself.

16. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Alright, so I did end up installing Firefox and got the same issue. The only way around it I found was to ignore the given font and force one that is small enough to work. That is obviously not the ideal though.

Interestingly though a post preview displays it correctly and the text only wraps over after submitted.

17. Amaury Legendary Hero

I noticed that as well. Additionally, post previews don't show a lot of things, such as the ribbon code and dark shade of gray for the table headers (they're just transparent). That might also be a Mozilla Firefox-only thing, though.

I guess I could move to Google Chrome. Nothing's really stopping me, anyway, since Adblock Plus came out of BETA on it on October 27, 2012.

18. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, I moved to Google Chrome a while to remedy the issue, so this can be locked.

Thanks for the assistance, Mixt.

19. Amaury Legendary Hero

Thanks for unlocking this, Alex.

In case anyone's interested, I finally got around to reporting the issue on Bugzilla here.

20. Amaury Legendary Hero

I deleted my last reply.

After discussing it further with support, it seems it's how KH-V is styled even though the issue only appears to be on Mozilla Firefox.

It basically has to do with KH-V being explicitly styled with "word-wrap: break-word." It if were to be removed, the issue should disappear, but I'm not sure if that would cause issues. Additionally, the behavior of Mozilla Firefox is correct, but support also argues that the behavior on Google Chrome -- where it's not an issue -- could be fine, too. (Just read through the link below for more details.)

Misty, since you're the styling expert here, if you could read through this when you get a chance, that would be wonderful.

Side note: obviously, this wasn't an issue on vBulletin because you could choose your width, but here it's auto-based, and it seems to be causing some minor issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.