Anime Sword Art Online

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Sanya, Sep 10, 2012.

1. StardustXtreme Chaser

Wow, no update pertaining to Caliber and Mother's Roasrio Arcs.

Caliber arc was rather good, especially the Sinon tail pulling, but I think it's a definite agreement that Mother's Rosario arc is gonna be the probably best arc so far and the circumstances surrounding the guild, the Sleeping Knights and of course, Yuuki Konno, showing that even someone terminally ill can still bring life to everyone, considering what she has been through.

Kirito proves he can be a perceptive person, as evidenced by telling Yuuki was in Full-Dive for a year longer than him and even admits Yuuki would beat him, of course he never tried using Dual Blades against her as well putting him in a Floor Raid Group's way to let them take the boss, I admit, his reflexes seem to be almost too perfect, being able to accurately predict where a projectile is likely to connect, but I have to keep in mind he had been fighting for his life for two years constantly on the front lines of SAO as a lone person for most of the time.

My guess is right now, Sword Art Online II will end on the Mother's Rosario Arc as they are close to the original number of episodes in the first season, since the Alicization Arc is after it and that arc hasn't finished in the Manga.

I suspect Mother's Rosario will be a close second to an emotional arc with Clannad still taking first place in my list honestly.

2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

To be honest, I'm really liking the Mother's Rosario arc, but not necessarily for the reasons the show wants me to like it.l

I really like the story of the side characters a lot more than the other characters of the show. And while I groaned at Asuna's first-world problems, I've been warming up to sort of feeling bad for her. I liked the progression of this arc, and showing that the HEROES OF THE STORY DON'T HAVE TO WIN EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME.

I think my favorite part of this arc is how minimal they are using Kirito. I laughed hard at the show when they tried to convince me that Kirito lost a battle. If you want me to actually feel anything about that, show me, don't just tell me. And then when he showed up at the end of one of the episodes, I yelled out "Oh, screw you, SAO". And, I'm at least glad that I didn't have to see too much of Kirito's Mary Sue tendencies. Kirito is storytelling poison.

And even with those complaints, this is still the best arc that Sword Art Online that they have done (and that includes anicard, fight me).

EDIT:

Okay, I posted the above before watching the newest episode. My thought process was "maybe I should watch the new episode before posting anything. Naw. What's the worst that could happen?"

I forgot with what I was dealing with.

Rant below
    AIDS? Are you seriously doing this right now, Sword Art Online. AIDS! You honestly think that you're talented enough to tackle this issue, after you have shown us how you understand nothing about storytelling and tackling other big issues (the biggest example being rape).

I'm fine with her being ill; I was fine with it just being some generic cancer trope that a lot of shows use. BUT NOPE! I had to pause the episode because I was laughing so hard. The show was going strong for me up until that exact point. I honestly do like Yuuki's character, but I feel this kinda ruins it.

They are trying to get some kind of false sympathy for the character out of me, and that just doesn't work. This was never hinted at in any of the previous episodes (WHICH THEY COULD HAVE DONE BECAUSE I ASSUME THAT THEY WOULD TRY TO CHANGE A BIT OF THE SOURCE MATERIAL) so it feels very inorganic and out of place.

This very much reminds me of someone writing an SAO fan fic and wanted to put someone with a terminal illness in the story. That person asked me (because of my own illness), "wouldn't that be a paradise for you; just being free of your physical disabilities". My answer to that is this: It's absolutely insulting to me for you to say that. Yes, it's a certain kind of freedom, but it's not actually living. Concurring a disability is coming to terms with what's going on and not allowing that to affect who you really are.

A lot of fiction does with with characters: they give them a disability not because it adds anything, but because they want the audience member to 1) automatically like them and 2) go "aww; poor baby" (this is also why I hate The Fault in Our Stars). They abandon good character traits or actually using the disability to tell a story and just cheat their way to false sympathy.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  3. burnitup Still the Best 1973

4. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

5. burnitup Still the Best 1973

At least they get all the free ice cream they want.

6. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

And pepperoni pizza as well, because you're not allowed to have pepperoni when you reach adulthood.

7. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Too bad they can't really enjoy it. You know with the dying and retinal detachment and all. But hey, savor the victories that you get!

I'll give SAO credit for one thing though, at least they actually gave them a real named disease.

8. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I kinda would've liked it better if they came up with some future disease. I mean, they're treating it like a generic terminal illness, and only using the familiar name to garner sympathy.

On a side note, do you think Asuna's gonna call the ALO version of Make-A-Wish, or did they already use it up?

9. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Honestly, I prefer that they did use a real illness. There are more then enough anime out there that give a character a terminal illness to make them more sympathetic through the illness but don't want to actually attribute a real illness to them.

Yuuki will finally live her dream of making a movie about a single shade of blue! ...Is that too obscure of a reference?

10. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I guess so, but it kind of has the same effect on me: "ehh".

Yeah, reign it back in a bit.

11. burnitup Still the Best 1973

To each their own. Though, if it ends with Yuuki becoming a cyber ghost or some **** I'm jumping ship.

Yeah, I was running out of reference material. But just in case you were curious about the last one, here.

12. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

When they first revealed that it was AIDS, my first thought is they're going to find a way to Yui-fy her in some ways, because this show would find a way to make Kirito even more of a god. And then Yuuki can be apart of a harem, although that may be a bad idea. Is it possible to catch virtual-AIDS.

13. burnitup Still the Best 1973

That would be the most ridiculous thing ever if it happened. And yes, it is called the poison status effect.

Speaking of the harem, Shinon has more chemistry with Kirito than anyone else. Just throwing that out there.

14. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

And Kirito will pass it on to the rest of the girls.

You know, I really hate to admit it, but you're right. I really didn't want her to become apart of the harem brigade, and it's more insulting that they turned her into a cat-girl...but I have to admit that their chemistry is pretty strong. Who knows; maybe they do Yui-fy Yuuki so Asuna can fall in lesbians with her, and leave Shinon (quite literally) open for Kirito.

15. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Even his sister?

Probably helps that they had more episodes together than the rest.

16. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Especially his sister!

That's true, although it got old rather quick when she did random switches between being nice and "It's not like I like you or anything, b-b-b-BAKA!!"

17. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Kirito just couldn't resist those giant virtual breasts she had... Seriously, was that just a random default model she got or did she deliberately make it that way?

Still a better love story than Love Actually.

18. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Well, to be fair, she's well endowed in the real world. But yeah, she probably got the largest size that the game allowed and would probably request for bigger breasts in an update pack.

I haven't seen that movie. I take it that it's bad?

19. burnitup Still the Best 1973

"I want my character to have breasts bigger than the ones on the women in Soul Calibur! MAKE IT HAPPEN ALO!"
    How old is she anyway?

Go watch the honest trailer.

20. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I would say she's about...above legal age in Japan.