Anime Sword Art Online

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Sanya, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Chie Satonaka Twilight Town Denizen

the light novels are on bakatsuki...

AMAZING ENDING TO SAO~~~!!!!

THEY BETTER MAKE AN ANIME FOR THE NEXT FEW VOLUMES!!!!

2. Mysty Unknown

Sword Art Online. Well, I do not think I have had such enthusiasm over an anime before in my life. This is one of those titles that will always be a classic once I am older. The visuals were stunning. Every image brought life to a world within we cannot touch, yet. The story alone is fun, loving, suspenseful and it leaves the viewer crying in some parts. You become so connected to the characters within this fictional world that you cannot help feel like you made a new friend. This anime shows a glimpse at a possible future for the gaming industry for one. I also hope other animators and writers can draw inspiration from a title like Sword Art Online. Although the series has only spread through 25 episodes and cover 4 of the light novels, it had an ending that justifies itself. It brings you home to the original intentions that it wanted to make out. It opens the viewers to continue on within this world with the literature. Do I wish for the series to continue? Yes I do. It is one of those series I wish to never leave. But there is a part of me that is happy with the ending that makes me believe it is good that it has ended here. I will surely read the other 7-8 light novels the story is based on. Although this show is only in Japanese at this moment in time, it has been the most powerful thing I have watched within my life.

3. heartless_angel Traverse Town Homebody

In my opinion, the best anime I have seen so far since Angel Beats :D

4. CrownMoksha Decimo

I find it funny that right when I decided to actually start watching this, the series as almost ended. Other than that I really love this show.

5. Mysty Unknown

I think I have found myself a friend. XD

But for you guys to not give up hope on the series continuing, there is a confirmation of another song for use in the series which could entail we will get GGO and possibly UnderWorld. So this series may just be taking a break. I mean, if you think about it, this could have summed up to just be one season, so a second season is a possibility.

6. StardustXtreme Chaser

Plus the Manga takes a long amount of months to be created and then produced.

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

...I thought the ALO arc was Season 2? D:

8. Mysty Unknown

Most would consider it to be but there is a reason it is not. The plot point is the same. SAO still had not ended. There was still a drive to end the game once and for all.

9. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

SAO is one of those animes where I just feel pumped whenever I am watching it. Also I think that the anime has a good way to make you feel uneasy, imagine you just buy a game and it is in a virtual reality, you cannot log out, you panic, some creeper tells you if the nervegear gets taken out you die, if your health goes to zero you die. Now that would be pretty scary. Do you think that there should be a SAO video game? I think that could work, after all it is, well a game. I kind of feel after episode 14 the show lost tension, I know that there are like 10 LN but, I kind of feel the show changed very suddenly.

10. Mysty Unknown

It has been rumored that the 2nd season will begin mid February. The source is not completely trust worthy, but I have seen other places say so as well. I don't have an exact date sadly to say.

11. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I finished SAO a could of days ago, and I can say this with full confidence that it's...an okay series. It's not terrible but it's not that great either. It's one of the better shonen I've seen simply for the action and consistent animation style. However, the story, while it had a promising premise, was just not that well thought out.

To me, Kirito was just uninteresting because he's basically in God Mode the entire series. To me, it's more interesting to see a characters fail but work to triumph than to just triumph all the time.

Most of my complaints come from the ALO arc though, and my God, did that arc drag down the quality of the show. Yeah, let's turn our strong female lead into a completely useless damsel in distress and introduce a love triangle and completely ignore it.

And, Christ, episode 24. Gah! What kind of logic did they follow to come up with that episode? Considering tone, it didn't follow at all. It was all pure fan service that can only be equaled to meaningless flashing of panties...oh wait, they did that too a few episodes ago.

My biggest issue is the overuse of Deus Ex Machina. Some way or another, Kirito and his friends are saved not by their own skill, but by some sort of Act of God (episode 24 being the biggest sinner in this). It feels like the writers put themselves in a corner and needed a cheap way to conclude it. It's just a clear sign of bad writing.

Despite all I posted though, I don't hate this anime, I don't even dislike it. It was an okay anime to kill some time, but there are some gaping holes on SAO that just bother me.

12. heartless_angel Traverse Town Homebody

@tummer I see your point and I agree with you. I think SAO kinda fell a bit in the ALO arc in terms of plot and character development, but it wasn't too bad. I don't see why people hate the random Godmodding modes in the plot. To me, I find it quite appalling in the anime.

13. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Well, like most shonen anime, Godmodng is used to basically used to just show how powerful a certain character is. For many, it's annoying to see the main character having all of this power, basically pulled out of the writers ass, and not rely on his own wit and skill. There is also something going around called "Pixar's Rules For Telling A Compelling Story" (a list a guidelines that many writers should look at and reference) and at the top of the list is "#1: You admire a character for trying more than for their successes." Whenever Kirito failed (which was rare), it made me sympathize much more than whenever he pulled out his duel wielding trick.

And, Godmoding, in my opinion, makes that character resemble a Mary Sue/Gary Stu type of character, which are usually boring.

14. Labrys King's Apprentice

Im extremely sorry about what I'm about to say...... after watching the entire show
    I didn't like it

15. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

It's okay to not like something, y'know? There is plenty wrong with it.

16. Mysty Unknown

You horrible person!

No, everyone has the right to voice their own opinion. To each his own

17. Chie Satonaka Twilight Town Denizen

How come you didn't like it? Was it the story? The characters?

18. Labrys King's Apprentice

For many reasons.
    1. I hated the time skip
    2. The show was too short, if anything it should be 50 episodes
    3. I cannot tell you.
    4. Yeah like I said in reason two, the show just went by wayy to quick lacking in any detail
    5. The parts were predictable
    6. Had alot of RPG elements missing for instance there wernt that many sword Art techniques or any thing cool

In all seriousness though when I saw the first episode I expected it to be a actual RPG anime show with the typical RPG stuff ....it's hard to explain. But yeah I was disappointed

19. Chie Satonaka Twilight Town Denizen

Yeah... i totally wished that it would go on for longer... and the time skip was a bit weird... i understand

20. NemesisPrime Hollow Bastion Committee

Funny, some friends of mine have been streaming SAO and it's agreed in most of our group that we like it. We just finished episode 12.