Superhero Crossover in an original setting

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Boy Wonder, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

"Bueno, don't you ever get tired of trying superhero RPs?"
    ...No, not really.

ANYWAY, I was thinking of semi-collab RP with superheroes from different media. What I mean is, before the RP gets made, RPers will pick which superhero they want to portray. There doesn't need to be an in-depth knowledge of said hero (though that's always preferred), but a decent knowledge of any of the hero -or any other character for that matter- from any specific media. You could pick Spider-Man from the 90s show, or the Sam Raimi films, the Ultimate animated series (ugh), or Andrew Garfield's version, or even an actual comic book version, etc. Marvel Film's Iron Man, or one from the animated series. Christian Bale's Batman, George Clooney's, the 90s animated series', or whatever. It won't be that universe's exact version, but that'll be the nature of the character and part of the history. All characters will be native to the RP's world, which will be built around whichever characters get chosen as the "main team" (think Avengers/Justice League). Of course, this will allow some playing around (maybe a young Spider-Man is Batman's sidekick for whatever reason instead or Robin if the two RPers agree on that). There will be a one version only rule (No, you can't be Oliver Queen from Arrow and someone else as Smallville's much hotter version), but there may be some...flexibility (Arrow's season 3 Oliver Queen hasn't gone by Green Arrow yet, while Smallville's was known as Green Arrow from the beginning. Hmm, ideas.) If anyone is interested, I'll need help building the thread (and the setting, obviously) but to do that, I'll need characters!

Thoughts?

2. Glen Returned from the dead

I quite like this idea, and were I not in so many RPs I would be all for it. Almost makes me wish I hadn't signed up for others, but best of luck with this and I hope to see it take off.

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Thanks! I had an idea for this before, but couldn't figure out how to do it. For some reason, building the world AFTER I know which heroes will inhabit it just came to me. I think it'd be interesting seeing a Justice League/Avengers team with something like Spider-Man from the 90s show, Christian Bale's Batman, Grant Gustin's Flash, Robin from the Teen Titans series, RDJ's Iron Man, etc. Even a hero from a non-Marvel/DC property (Hellboy, etc.) would be interesting!

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I think I'll make the rule a little less specific about where the character comes from. It doesn't have to be exactly like Superhero from That Show, but maybe a comment about what you're basing the portrayal from?
    I guess the easier way of describing it is just pick whatever hero/villain you want and put the relevant details in the bio, or comment which version you like best. Does that make sense?

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Goodness knows there are too many comic universes, so I'd go with this.

6. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

Count me in(again) if this ever picks up some speed

7. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Which sounds more interesting:
    An original universe that's an amalgam of most superhero universes (A singular Marvel/DC world for example) where all characters always existed in the same universe

or

A universe created from most superhero universes merging into a single one and now the Avengers and Justice League have to exist side-by-side?

I'm leaning towards the former, but that really depends on whether or not I get enough people committed and choosing characters before it starts -so we can build the world around the chosen characters- or people choosing characters the world itself is created.

8. Hiro ✩ Guardian

The former. It's a lot less complicated than figuring out what villain did what to make the worlds have to co-exist now.

9. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

This post gets it~

I almost tried this once before with a merging of worlds, but there was one tidbit that annoyed me: does the population double? Are there two Presidents of the US, etc.?

Regardless, I'll start working on this soon. If anyone is definitely interested in being a Big Hero (Justice League/Avenger level), I'd like to know who right off the bat and collab with you.

10. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Okay, so here's what I"m thinking of as of right now:

The RP will start out during a big event which will end with a team coming together. I'm not sure what event it'll be, but I'm combining climaxes from different superhero films into one end-of-world scenario (Ultron's attack, but with Sentinels or Chitauri invasion with Kryptonians, etc.) Or even something smaller (Captain America: Winter Soldier/Agents of SHIELD's fall of SHIELD/Hydra). I'm personally thinking of the scenarios from either Avengers film, but we'll time-skip afterwards.

Since there are so many different alternate versions of characters sometimes, I'm thinking of doing ONE alternate universe where the same character/different alias can originate from, but that's as far as it'll go.

11. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I think that'll be great!

I still need to pick my character though... Marvel vs Capcom 2 has made me love the X-Men a ton now, plus all the avengers I already adore... Ugh.

12. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

This has peaked my interest, especially if the other idea you had will be dropped. (I don't think I could be in both anyway) You are using scenarios from DC Cinematic universe and Marvel Cinematic universe just for the sake of plot and it will not effect what characters can be used from the comics right? Just a question to get out of the way in case I'm assuming too much. lol

13. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

REAL WORLD PROBLEMS RIGHT HERE
    I have a list of about...20 characters just off the top of my head I want. Filing that down to a small handful.
    I'm not entirely sure which it'll be: choosing one out of the two, or both. I'm hoping I'll be able to maintain both of them in addition with my current RP, but for now I'm fleshing both ideas out to see which one will work.

Not just scenarios from those two universes, but their other medias (TV shows, animated programs, films, video games, comics themselves, etc.) regardless if they're DC, Marvel or anything else. But I do feel like it'll have a much more dominant DC/Marvel presence than anything else. My main rule of thumb is: they must have a dominant presence in some comic book series/graphic novel and be able to be considered a superhero/villain. It's kind of vague, but if you think its a superhero/villain, then it's most likely acceptable. Hell, even if they aren't a traditional one, but you can make an argument towards it, I'll probably accept it (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? A Power Ranger?). I'm still working on details.

But yeah, it won't have an effect on the characters from comics. We'll have to rework individual history around probably, but that's doable.

14. Hiro ✩ Guardian

How do I just choose between the Maximoff Twins, Rogue, Wolverine, Psylocke, Cyclops, X-23, Storm, Spyke, Kitty Pryde, Gambit, Magneto, Cap, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Spider-Gwen, Venom, Black Cat, Falcon, and Ms. Marvel?

Is there even a way to?

15. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I'll make it slightly easier for you and claim Cyclops!
    I originally wanted Spider-Man, since he's my favorite. But I've played him before and wanted to see someone else's take. You can always choose the new Wolverine and new Captain America to help lol.

16. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

Just puttin' it out there, I'm interested in a character with superspeed. Like The Flash, or Quicksilver.

17. Hiro ✩ Guardian

New Wolverine is X-23, so I guess it's fate foretold. I'll have Laura Kinney, the new Wolverine.

18. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Awesome~ I can use you as an example now for what I meant by this post
    So let's say you're Laura!Wolverine, but I want Logan as Wolverine. If I wanted him specifically to be Wolverine, one of those two might be from another universe. But since they are two different people, it's also possible to have them in the same universe either with different aliases or on different teams (I think I'd prefer aliases just to keep it simple. I know there are two Hawkeyes in comic books and they're even partners, but for the sake of this RP, I'd want it simpler).
    But I wanted Laura and to keep her as X-23 (or Talon, technically), then one of them would have to be from the other universe.
    ...or another clone (but let's assume we're talking about a non-cloned person).

Theoretically, we'll be going by a "one version of the character" rule, unless it's a drastically different version. Laura as X-23/Talon and Laura as Wolverine aren't different enough; it's just a different costume and name

Anyway, I might have something to post in the next couple of days if I can iron out a few more wrinkles.

19. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I'll probably keep her as X-23!Laura just because that's the incarnation I prefer most. May make her a new costume though since I like her in the X-Men yellow but I don't dig the mask on her lol

20. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I know it's off-topic, but I don't like the costume on her either! Something about the way the mask sits and the design. There were other Wolverine costumes I would have went with, but yeah.
    /rant[DOUBLEPOST=1443761877][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, so I was going to start writing a concept for the story and had issues with the expansive amounts of characters within comics and how it's mostly dominated by Marvel and DC characters and how there are some of us who probably know and would like to portray someone from a lesser-known franchise (Invincible, Saga, etc.) So I thought of putting in a clause about the characters having to be originated from comic books but that leaves a few characters who were created outside of the comics (Harley Quinn) before being put in or were prominent parts of a show/film but not a comic book character (Spyke from X-Men Evolution). It also leaves some people that aren't superheroes in the general term, but did originate in comic books (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Hell, there was a Daredevil reference in their origin!).

So as it stands now, I'm thinking of making the crossover much more expansive. It won't necessarily be a "tights and flights, masks and capes" superhero exclusive RP. Like I said before, if an argument can be made that they're a superhero, I'll take it. That would encourage a much more general crossover RP, but the theme of it would still be superheroics and Avengers/Justice League-styled teams. So Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, GI Joe/Transformers are the ones that pop up in my mind (though I'm against the Transformers). Arguments could be made as to why stop there? Megaman could be reworked into it. Possibly Star Wars.

Obviously, it's stretching. So what I'm wondering is:
    The RP is going to be heavily based on your typical superhero team a la Avengers and typical superheroics as seen in Justice League/Avengers film regardless. Should it be held strictly to Marvel/DC superheroes, include other comic book companies (throw in the Watchmen, Spawn, Kick-Ass, etc.), non-comic book superheroes (anybody ever see Stan Lee's Condor?), comic books in general (TMNT, GI Joe, Transformers), or a more open crossover RP?

If it's the more open type, I'll make a list of acceptable franchises to choose characters from so we don't end up with Sonic the Hedgehog alongside Iron Man, for example.
    What do you think, @Incognitus, @Morrigan Aensland, @Hexin, @jackdaniel0?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.