No Thanks Suggestion: It should be against the rules for staff to be invisible.

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by DigitalAtlas, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I was going to make this post last night but I had a migraine coupled with eye fatigue. Not fun.

SJ, you are one of my mentors. I feel we have that sort of relationship even if you are not aware. I look up to you and respect you and have learned from you. That being said, I am quite disappointed with your behavior here. Rather than provide any input barring your first post or reasoning as well as I know you are quite capable, you have resorted to insults and passive-aggressive behavior.

I am invisible as I have been since I came back. I find the atmosphere of KHV irritating and an overall not nice place to be. I can already hear those that would tell me to leave and as I have demonstrated in the past, that is an all too easy thing for me to do. I come online to 'wind down' and catch up with people that I am on good terms here. I do not like the feeling that I need to tread on eggshells nor having to provide a works cited page for every single post I make.

'But Fox, you used to be just as bad as those you are referencing.' I know. And I can't change history. I am trying my hardest to make amends for my past behavior by not being as harsh or intimidating. I'm trying to be more...approachable. Having a staff position on another forum has humbled me, you might say.

Another reason I'm on invisible is that I've been in a very poor state of mind all too easily these days. I post and then I say nothing because either I get headaches that force me to hide in a dark room with a ice pack on my neck and a cold wet washcloth over my eyes. These headaches make me cranky and rather than lash out at people on this forum, I simply turn everything off.

I'm not providing excuses for my behavior. I'm providing reasons why I'm using the invisible option. I'm not staff true but why should they be denied the option simply because they are staff. If the work gets done and the forum is running optimatly and without spam/trolls/bots, then why should we care if they are on invisible status or not?

That being said, I do like The Fuk?'s idea.

I think that the report function would work better if it were on-site rather than off-site. I know that it's all too easy to not check e-mails. On Valenth, we have a ticket system put into place. A member writes out a ticket describing the problem much like the present report feature here. The difference being is that the ticket stays on site in the Admin CP rather than sitting in an inbox with who knows what else. And I don't know what the Admin CP looks like on a vb forum so my knowledge is lacking there. I wish I could compare and contrast but I can't.

/flees thread

2. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Post from a former admin here, everybody.

I will keep this in mind, as I left the thread last night for that reason. I was good for awhile, but another user here commented on exactly what happened better than I ever could.

While way too over-dramatic, this.

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

How? You can't simply say it's too large to not enforce the rule and not explain why the size of the forum matters. We've already established that there's almost always some staff online and the invisi-staff are the vast minority. I don't see how there "no other option but to enforce the rule."

"Former" being the key word there.

What tail-wind said is that this is a fantastic option if tracking down available staff is too much of a hassle which it isn't.

4. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I don't consider assessments of how certain actions will affect other members a matter of opinion, but of prediction. Marketing exists as a field based on the idea that this is not a purely subjective topic.

I think that if anything, these types of posts only increase tension. Don't make demands, that is a bad idea.

5. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

A quick glance at it makes me say it's pretty much unusable in this version of vb. So something similar with better compatibility should be used instead.

6. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I am afraid that my experience has been that it kind of is, but then I think it is a hassle if it takes over an hour to get a thread moved or a post deleted. You don't think it's a hassle, but is your ideal time frame for a reaction large or small?

7. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Have you ever considered that that may be a personal thing? Honestly, if I need a thread locked, I don't care when it's locked as long as it gets locked. In my experience, I usually deal with threads in the RP-Arena. I either need a thread locked because I don't want to continue the RP, deleted because I clicked "submit" instead of "preview", need a thread unlocked because I'm back from a hiatus, or a thread renamed because I made a typo. Those are never really so urgent that it has to be done immediately. I rarely see instances that do need such an immediate response but when they do, staff is more often than not fast in reacting.

Also, to me, it seems more like the complaint is there aren't enough staff online when we need them. If out of 20 or so staff, you feel the need to VM/PM the 4 that aren't online or you aren't sure are online, then that's up to you.

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

We could perhaps use the same systems as the user surveys and staff apps as a general feedback/contact line.

9. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Look, clearly the staff is purely against this and I have no intention of trying to fix a problem they don't want to fix.

Requesting a lock.

10. Misty gimme kiss

Because it's not a problem.

Request fulfilled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.