Storm of Fate

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by adamboy7, Oct 22, 2012.

1. adamboy7 Traverse Town Homebody

[​IMG]
    Current standing logo, may be subject to change

• Alrighty, myself a team of people you may or may not know have decided to come together and make a video game. The main members of the team are myself, the one who started us off, Rienzel, the second in command, and Sora's Apprentice, the third in command.

I started this project some time shortly before the summer of 2012 (I say the year because I don't know how long this project will take). I wanted to make a video game just for the fun of it. Then my friends found out and we all joined in. We came to the agreed decision that we would start a company. Our company is known as Splitsoul Games. However, we recently had a major revision to the game.

We hold meetings on Skype to discuss the general progress of the game, to brainstorm, and to share general ideas.

Because we started back in the summer of 2012 and scratched most of what we had, a deadline is still undecided. One does not exist as of yet. We all have school to deal with and daily lives. So, hopefully we can get a majority of the work done this summer, the summer of 2013. This thread will be updated by myself and other members of the game staff as necessary.
    • Originally our game was going to be a spin off of the kingdom hearts series. However, we have come to the decision to redo the game entirely. We are creating an original game with an original story line and characters. The game is now called Storm of Fate.

The story takes place centuries in the past. Its a general fight between good and evil. It is inspired by the kingdom hearts series. To maintain originality kingdom hearts wont be in there, no organization, etc. Some elements will be somewhat recognizable, but the story will go much different places than Kingdom hearts with much a much different series of events. More will be posted as we progress.
    • In the world of SoF, when a human dies, their soul ascends to the air in the form of a wisp and travels into a large metallic object called the gate of souls (original, i know). The gate itself is made of the collective souls of the dead, as is the dimension beyond it. On the gate is an inscription in a language no one recognizes, yet can be read by all. Essentially saying that whoever opens the gate will become the master of souls, gaining the collective strength, energy, and skill of billions of people. Naturally people would want this for themselves. But there are also a surprising number of pure hearted people who want to preserve the gate, letting the dead rest in peace. Not only that, prevent the destruction someone drunk with such power would cause. The greedy realised the couldn't overcome those protectors by acting alone, so most, if not all of them joined together and became rather organized. In response, so did the protectors, eventually forming monarchies. And so the war began. The greedy malice filled people who wanted the power for themselves, dubbed the dark for the blackness of their souls, against the pure hearted protectors of the gate, dubbed the light by opposition.
      The main character of the story is a teenage boy (original, i know) Named Terak. He lives in a small town near the border of the two territories. He's the son of the mayor, a hardened war veteran named Ignis. He lives a generally peaceful life for the most part, but everything changed when the fire nation dark attacked, to expand their territory. Most of the villagers were either killed or captured, his father being no exception. Terak manages to get out of the town alive and without too much injury, but realizes he doesn't know where to go. Eventually he collapses, and is found by someone. That's all the story which will be revealed right now :p
    • Leveling, Summons, and Class system.
      Each enemy defeated will give a certain amount of exp, as per normal. In the menu will be an option to go to the leveling screen. Once there, You can select from characters in your party and several brackets will be shown. One for each class. Classes are as followed.
      Warrior: Well rounded fighter. Moderate in nearly every stat.
      Mage: Focuses mainly on magic. The main healers of the party.
      Berserker: Abandon all else (Defense, health, attack speed, etc.) for maximum strength. Some abilities may even drain other stats for temporary boosts in physical power.
      Guardian: Has the highest Defense and Health of any class. Focuses on drawing fire away from other party members.
      Thief: high attack speed, And ability to loot better items and steal from enemies during combat.
      Summoner: Low overall stats, but can summon creatures of incredible power.

Under each class will be a series of upgrades. Passive abilities (which are always active unless switched off) and action abilities (can be used during combat), each costing a certain amount of exp. Purchasing one ability will unlock the next in the skill tree of that particular class. Below these will be upgrades for the stats associated with the class it's under. These can be purchased an infinite amount of times (up to the level cap). Each time you purchase something, the character's level will increase by one. (level cap is currently planned for 99. It may or may not change) You can switch to a different class and purchase abilities or stats there, but it's set that hitting the level cap is equivalent to maxing out one class (with stat upgrades).

The summoner class will differ from the others for various reasons. For one, it's major stat will be "Summon power". Something unique to the class. It dictates how long a summon will stay, and how powerful it'll be while summoned. with far less action abilities than other classes, they're replaced with various summons and upgraded forms of them. The "Ultimate summon" Has already been decided. It's a bit of an inside joke between me and Adam, but I'll let you discover it when you play the game. When called, a summon will replace the party, and be controlled by the character. Each summon will have it's own set of action abilities, and will go out with a bang by using it's finisher just before it leaves.

• More on our Youtube
    • Coming soon!
    • You little stalker >.> Imeanwhat? Right. As mentioned we all reside on skype and hold meetings. However, for convenience you can check out our link-> Youtube channel and monitor progress. Alternatively, you can just look up Splitsoul Games. Also, want to contact us? Message us on youtube, or drop us an email at splitsoulgames@gmail.com
    • Adamboy7: Head of Splitsoul Games, graphic design, 3D technition, and general computer tech.
      Rienzel: Second in command, Scripting, head of story and voice acting
      Sora's Apprentice: Third in command, Co story, concept art, beta tester, voice actor
      Star Seeker3: Concept Artist, beta tester
      Terra254: N/A
      Dr_Wigglz: Scripting, voice actor
      cloud<3: Scripting
      bluekingboy: Voice Actor
      Arch: Composer
      Nate combs: Composer, voice actor
      Heroic Roxas: Voice actor

2. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Sounds exciting. Any screenshots or sneakpeaks you can give us? Teasers etc.

3. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

I'm sure we can come up with something tomorrow.
    I'll edit this post with a few screenshots

4. Hayabusa Venomous

So, what's the engine of the game? Unreal? Source?

5. adamboy7 Traverse Town Homebody

We are using Unity. Its a fairly simple engine and allows for producing on several platforms :)

6. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

Announcement: Leveling, Summons, and Class system.
    Each enemy defeated will give a certain amount of exp, as per normal. In the menu will be an option to go to the leveling screen. Once there, You can select from characters in your party and several brackets will be shown. One for each class. Classes are as followed.
    Warrior: Well rounded fighter. Moderate in nearly every stat.
    Mage: Focuses mainly on magic. The main healers of the party.
    Berserker: Abandon all else (Defense, health, attack speed, etc.) for maximum strength. Some abilities may even drain other stats for temporary boosts in physical power.
    Guardian: Has the highest Defense and Health of any class. Focuses on drawing fire away from other party members.
    Thief: high attack speed, And ability to loot better items and steal from enemies during combat.
    Summoner: Low overall stats, but can summon creatures of incredible power.

Under each class will be a series of upgrades. Passive abilities (which are always active unless switched off) and action abilities (can be used during combat), each costing a certain amount of exp. Purchasing one ability will unlock the next in the skill tree of that particular class. Below these will be upgrades for the stats associated with the class it's under. These can be purchased an infinite amount of times (up to the level cap). Each time you purchase something, the character's level will increase by one. (level cap is currently planned for 99. It may or may not change) You can switch to a different class and purchase abilities or stats there, but it's set that hitting the level cap is equivalent to maxing out one class (with stat upgrades).

The summoner class will differ from the others for various reasons. For one, it's major stat will be "Summon power". Something unique to the class. It dictates how long a summon will stay, and how powerful it'll be while summoned. with far less action abilities than other classes, they're replaced with various summons and upgraded forms of them. The "Ultimate summon" Has already been decided. It's a bit of an inside joke between me and Adam, but I'll let you discover it when you play the game. When called, a summon will replace the party, and be controlled by the character. Each summon will have it's own set of action abilities, and will go out with a bang by using it's finisher just before it leaves.

7. adamboy7 Traverse Town Homebody

Announcement: Summoning
    A bit of building upon the last update. Mostly on the topic of summoning. As you may or may not be aware, the summoning class is unique when it comes to passive and action abilities. Their skill tree has very few skills and attacks. Instead its filled with summons. The summoner will have a general progression of summons. Most summons will have an upgraded form. Some will not attack and be there for status effects. And there will be a special class of summons.

With all these summons we intend to let the player name each summon. There will be a few powerful summons who you will not be able to name. Main example being the ultimate summon Rienzel posted about, along with several powerful (but not as powerful as the ultimate) summons in a similar category. We are currently working on deciding what summons we will have and what progression they will be in. More on the topic later to come hopefully :)

8. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

Just a quick update.
    We're currently working on abilities, the Mage class is nearly finished, and will focus highly on elemental weaknesses and status ailments, making them rather adaptable.

9. adamboy7 Traverse Town Homebody

Update:
    Well, admittedly progress has been kinda slow. But I suppose that is to be expected with school and such. Hopefully with the upcoming (But waaaay to brief T.T) winter break we can get more progress on the game.

As of late our scripters have been at work scripting the intro and ironing out story details. We have also managed to get a complete list of action abilities. Many of the abilities are element based. Of coarse, not all are elemental. Some examples:

Burn - Deal fire damage
    Frost - Deal ice damage
    Gust - Deal wind damage
    Scorch - Deals moderate fire damage and chance of burn
    Terra - Deals heavy earth damage with guaranteed critical
    Rejuvinate - Restore moderate HP to all allies in range
    Draw - Pulls in enemies

We are currently working on passive

We recently also started discussing the actual working order of the skill tree. We were thinking towards making the tree's for each class aesthetically related to their specialties. For example, the mage's tree would resemble a hat, a warier's tree would resemble a blade, so on. I am sending it to our concept artists to see what they come up with.

That's about all at the moment, hope to update more soon :)

10. Itachilives Gummi Ship Junkie

so how is it going any progress?

11. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

At the moment, adam is working on Modeling, Sora's Apprentice is writing the script, and i'm fine tuning the abilities.
    As well as that, we now have a website

12. Itachilives Gummi Ship Junkie

Sweet can't wait to hear more.

13. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

As soon as the models are done, We'll make a trailer.

14. Itachilives Gummi Ship Junkie

Now I must do my least favorite thing ....... Waiting (lol).

15. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

We decided that we should probably reveal a bit about the story at this point.

In the world of SoF, when a human dies, their soul ascends to the air in the form of a wisp and travels into a large metallic object called the gate of souls (original, i know). The gate itself is made of the collective souls of the dead, as is the dimension beyond it. On the gate is an inscription in a language no one recognizes, yet can be read by all. Essentially saying that whoever opens the gate will become the master of souls, gaining the collective strength, energy, and skill of billions of people. Naturally people would want this for themselves. But there are also a surprising number of pure hearted people who want to preserve the gate, letting the dead rest in peace. Not only that, prevent the destruction someone drunk with such power would cause. The greedy realised the couldn't overcome those protectors by acting alone, so most, if not all of them joined together and became rather organized. In response, so did the protectors, eventually forming monarchies. And so the war began. The greedy malice filled people who wanted the power for themselves, dubbed the dark for the blackness of their souls, against the pure hearted protectors of the gate, dubbed the light by opposition.

The main character of the story is a teenage boy (original, i know) Named Terak. He lives in a small town near the border of the two territories. He's the son of the mayor, a hardened war veteran named Ignis. He lives a generally peaceful life for the most part, but everything changed when the fire nation dark attacked, to expand their territory. Most of the villagers were either killed or captured, his father being no exception. Terak manages to get out of the town alive and without too much injury, but realizes he doesn't know where to go. Eventually he collapses, and is found by someone. That's all the story which will be revealed right now :p

16. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Ooh, intriguing. Good luck with your game, it sounds really fun to work on. :D

17. -Xero- Twilight Town Denizen

SO I HERD YA'LL NEEDED SOME CONCEPT ART DONE (at least that's what Rienzel's told me).
    I can help.

18. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

First official concept art for the game to be released.
    [​IMG]
    The character's name is R, and they will be featured as a major antagonist.

19. adamboy7 Traverse Town Homebody

Update:
    Long and over due, but an update none the less. Between updates we managed to get hold of a composer, Arch. He has composed several pieces for us. We have recently made a youtube channel as well. Check us out, our channel is titled Splitsoul Games. <-link

We hope to keep you guys updated more often. Props to Arch and the rest of the team, youtube channel art is in the works as well, so for now our channel only has videos.

20. -Xero- Twilight Town Denizen

Concept art of Gemini
    [​IMG]