Kingdom Hearts So what happened to Sora's parents?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX' started by Labrys, Dec 1, 2012.

1. 61 No. B

I think it's very important that Sora does not consider these people his family.

KH has always been a story about friendship, not family.

From a writing standpoint, if Sora considered these people his family you would have to change the dynamic of "my friends are my power," which has been emphasized throughout every game, to something like "my family is my power" which is something different entirely and not at all what KH has been about this whole time.

2. Labrys King's Apprentice

Hmmm true Sora would considered them as his friends but what if his heart consider them as his family?

3. Mixt The dude that does the thing

The whole "friends are family" thing seems rather pointless to me. It is just a somewhat poetic way to say that you've reached a deep level of friendship. Maybe it is me just having trouble connecting that bridge in my head. The closest I can connect them is when you get into groups that kinda act as surrogate families; but we don't have people filling family roles here, just strong bonds. And really when Sora goes off on a "friends are power" rant he talks about bonds, I don't think type really matters. The absence of family seems more like a story telling convenience than anything else. I almost wish that KH1 didn't talk about families now that we know that they are being swept under the rug. Without families ever being mentioned you could question their very existence and get into some magic element.

4. 61 No. B

like someone said you're really grasping at straws here.
    From what we've seen so far there have been no signs that a person and their heart each have their own conscious, they are the same being.

5. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Of course they each have their own conscious. Sora's heart tells him stuff all the time. But jokes aside you're right. Hearts are responsible for emotion and instinct, but the person only has one mind. Like gears in a clock, each is distinct and has its own job; but the time it shows is the result of the sum off the parts not some consensus of what each gear thinks.

6. Labrys King's Apprentice

I'm theorizing D:

7. Trizzle13 Twilight Town Denizen

They died in a fatal in a fatal car crash.....

Yes on Destiny Islands

Yes i stuttered

8. Cutsceneaddict Traverse Town Homebody

This is a topic I've always wondered about as well. Since Sora's parents really aren't mentioned after the original game (and briefly in BBS), my theories are:
    1. Sora's parents disappeared along with the rest of the world and may tie into the plot later.
    2. Perhaps the developers originally intended to have his parents be a part of the story, but then changed their mind and went with something different. In this case, they have no intention of bringing them back into the story again. The existence of parents in the KH universe seems to be, at best, vague. When you look at the characters, none of them have families, just very close friends. Sora and Riku mention their parents in the first game and in BBS, but we never see them. We hear Sora's mom at one point, but that's about it.

Perhaps they will tie into the plot later, but I kinda doubt this, since we've never even seen them.

9. A Zebra Chaser

There's a third option, which currently is the most likely: the writers needed a way to remove familial obligations from the story

10. Labrys King's Apprentice

I think they at least should show them once.

11. A Zebra Chaser

Who, the parents? They definitely don't show them

12. Labrys King's Apprentice

I honestly think it wouldn't made sense not to show them, or mention their wereabouts.
    Oh and i fixed that last post. Forgot to add the "Should " part.

13. A Zebra Chaser

Again, it's not important to the story.

14. 61 No. B

we only ever hear Sora's mother's voice once.

It may be that the only reason we see them in the first place is so we could buy that a bunch of kids live on a island. Keep in mind in KH2 we see that they have full neighborhoods, and even school uniforms. It would make much more sense to have only one parent say one thing to let us know that they do have parents, then to not mention them at all. If they didn't mention them at all so many questions about how these kids are able to support themselves enough to have an educational system (who's teaching? lol) would be raised.

15. Zeroxys Twilight Town Denizen

I honestly think Soras parents got consumed by darkness, along with every1 else on the isle considering you dont hear of any1 else from the island either (IIRC), like Wakka, Tidus and Selphie, (IIRC they dont ever come back wither xcept at the end of DDD)

16. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

I just realized something. Weren't Sora, Riku, and Kairi building a raft to leave Destiny Islands, and see other worlds? Doesn't that imply that they don't really care about their families since they're planning on leaving them anyway?

17. A Zebra Chaser

Selphie appears in KH2, and mentions Tidus and Wakka

18. Zeroxys Twilight Town Denizen

ah your right, i completely forgot about that.

19. Hohenheim Merlin's Housekeeper

Sora's parents have returned after the ending of KH1, but Nomura just doesn't care about them xD

20. 61 No. B

That's reading too much into it. As it has been said, KH is a story about friendship, and having immediate family members present would complicate that. I highly doubt that their leaving Destiny Islands has anything to do with them not caring or wanting to get away from their parents. As I said earlier, you have to address that they have parents, and there's no easy way to write them out, so the only option is to basically ignore them.