Implemented Skype Group [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by jafar, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I also believe that there are instances where threads get locked unnecessarily due to miscommunication. There have been multiple threads that were locked when no rules were broken, or when they only appeared to be broken due to the staff perceiving intent that did not exist. Similar with deleted or edited posts.

Your position assumes that the staff always makes good decisions. My position does not assume that they always make bad decisions or that the members always make good decisions.

My position is that better decisions would be made by everyone if there were more casual communication.

2. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Oh, no. I'm not saying staff always make good decisions, but they do what I said. Whether their reason for locking is justified, they warn you. That's pretty much fact.

3. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I'll address this further below with Bueno's post.

You're still doing it. You explicitly stated the bias I inserted. I don't see any reason to take back my assessment when you confirmed it outright.

I do not see that warning as casual communication or helping with the division. If anything, that comes across as just letting the members know that they are going to be punished if they continue. Someone outside of the group telling the group to calm down is not the same as being on casual terms with the group.

It doesn't lessen the divide? I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

I don't know about the others, but I do and have, even this past week, and I was ignored. I am at a loss as to how to speak to them under any context unless they are already one of the two or three social Sec. mods who join in with group chats and such.

I don't make a habit of talking to people without a subject, but I've talked to staff members about music and stuff before. But increasingly lately, I feel like they are skittish. It might be just towards me, but I have trouble getting staff members to speak with me, in group chats or otherwise. I think I mentioned earlier.

Chev kind of ruined his reputation with me when he would come up to me with a question, and then mock me if he didn't like my answer. It was like he wanted something specific and if he didn't get it I was wasting my time. Happened several times. He is probably the only staff to make an effort to contact me on their own for reasons unrelated to the site other than What? or maybe Fork.

As I said before, I could always try to add them into group chats as well, because those are easier to talk in than one on one, but they rarely get involved and usually leave.

4. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

I think I get what you're saying.
    But there's no need for a chat room- I agree there needs to be more casual communication but we should make changes to the forum. Get active here, make it what a forum is meant to do. But you do need to realize that try are staff. They should do better but they're in a different position than us.

5. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Well that went terribly. Back to brainstorming.

6. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I don't think they need to instill classicism if they can help it, though. It really does start sounding like a "the rich versus the poor" argument when someone starts saying that the divide is justifiable because their stations are different.

7. C This silence is mine

>implying that it isn't working
    >implying that it went terribly because you didn't like the content of the group
    >implying

8. rikusorakairiown Destiny Islands Resident

>implying he's not entitled
    >implying it's not going great
    >implying he's the arbitrary judge of good and bad convos

9. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

It's not rich versus the poor, it's the people that uphold the forum versus a small part of the forum. They should do their best but at any rate they control this site because it's their job. There should be efforts at equality, but we can never be completely equal. As equal as possible, but we're different. It's not the fairest thing but it has to happen without drastic changes to the site's structure or getting rid of staff.

10. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I don't see how stating any bias is completely discrediting my argument when you're just as biased in the opposite direction? When it comes to warning people, I definitely disagree that staff needs to be casual. Maybe nicer, yes, definitely, I'll agree on that, but casual? I don't think so. If staff acted as casual as other members, people wouldn't respect their authority when in most cases, we should. If you see staff as just another ol' member, then there'd be little difference between staff saying "Alright, [MEMBER], you're going a little too far with the jokes. You're offending [OTHER MEMBER]" and me saying it. And honestly, I can legitimately say that people here wouldn't listen to me, as a regular member, if I were to say something like that because not only have I tried that in the past, I've seen others try it and be ignored. Can you think of another answer as to why besides that I don't have the authority as staff? And "you're not as lighthearted as we are," doesn't really count as an answer.

You keep addressing this divide, but we (as in opponents of this thread) don't see this divide. We're just as sure that this divide doesn't exist as you are sure that it does. In fact, to me, it seems that divide is much more personal than it is based on staff/non-staff. If you've tried contacting staff and having legitimate conversations with them in the past week and they genuinely ignore you, have you thought that it may be because you've been on their bad side before? It is possible (once again, I'm saying this from experience with staff I don't get along with) that some members have used up some staffies' last nerves and these staffies don't want to associate with those members any more than they have to (member-staff interaction).
    At my workplace, there's this coworker that I cannot stand. However, I do not go out of my way to be rude to her or anything. We work together so I'm as civil as I'm required to be. However, off-work, I talk to and hang out with most of my coworkers except her. Why would I? She's used up all of the tolerance I have for her long ago. Now if she made a legitimate effort to make amends and show me that there's a chance we can actually get along, then maybe I'd try. But as it is now, SHE got on MY nerves and I have no interest in being friends with her. There's a customer who's there from the minute we open to the around lunch, using our wifi and drinking coffee. He's been coming to this restaurant long before I started working there. I cannot stand this guy the least bit. He's rude and thinks he has some sort of seniority over employees that haven't worked there as long as he's been eating there to the point where if the tables around his little area aren't in the correct spot, he will actually move them himself. And by "correct spot," I mean "where he wants them." I'm not allowed to be rude to customers and there's many things this one does that annoy me, but doesn't harm the business. So I tolerate him to the point that I have to; he's a customer and I'm an employee.
    What I'm saying is, from what I've seen, you may have given staff a bad impression and you have to genuinely show interest and put effort into showing them you want to make amends. Don't simply expect to bring them into conversation and things will be "honky-dory."

11. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

In this particular conversation, I am not being biased. Please read my posts. I am not taking a side or placing blame on either side. You are reading into my intentions based on how biased you think I am. I am not "being" biased. My words here have been fair regardless of my personal feelings regarding who is to blame.

I don't necessarily think you have a place to say it, either, if you are assuming that groups (that you do not speak to casually) are involved. You just can't lock the thread.

I'm going to go with your group example. Let's assume that there is a divide between Group A and Group B, and that you do not see it because you are not in either group.

Group A feels that there is too much tension between the two groups and suggests that arrange a meeting place to they speak with each other on casual terms.

You come in and say that Group A has no business trying to do this because you personally don't see the divide. In fact you seem to generally dislike Group A, and think that Group B is right to act as they do. Thus you think that Group A is just being pissy because they aren't getting their way.

You are either ignoring the tension and thus the divide between the two hypothetical groups or you think that the tension deserves to be there because you disagree with the actions of Group A but like the actions of Group B.

The two groups will get no closer to communicating due to your dissenting and judgmental expression. Read the posts by the OP of this thread. Do you think this is being done out of disrespect?

Please reconsider whether your actions are helping or not.

12. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

>implying point wasn't lost when most of the staff left
    >implying that wasn't the point of this escapade
    >implying

13. rikusorakairiown Destiny Islands Resident

>implying forum staff is necessary for a good skype group
    >implying the point of this was to satisfy you
    >implying implications

14. muff monkey Twilight Town Denizen

Did you not read this thread?

15. C This silence is mine

>implying that point hasn't been countered yet
    >confirming that all you care about your little group, not the community
    >implying implications

16. rikusorakairiown Destiny Islands Resident

If the staff left they obviously don't want to communicate with the members.

Doesn't stop it being a good group yo.

17. Jayn

Staff still present:

Jayn
    Ashwin/What?
    Ienzo
    Kites
    Peyton
    Forsaken
    RvR
    Krowley
    Mish
    Sabby
    Stardust
    Plums
    PaW

> All staff left

What are you talking about? It's really disheartening when you lump everyone together.

18. Plums Wakanda Forever

Well, Claw and Misty.

Jayn and I are still in it (although I'm spotty right now, as I'm playing an MMO haha).

But we are still there.

19. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Misty and I both feel really uncomfortable in large groups like this, which why we left. I appologise for that but when everyone is speaking at the same time it gets really overwhelming.

20. Laurence_Fox Chaser

That's pretty much why I left. It's a bit hard to keep up when everyone is posting at once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.