Implemented Skype Group [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by jafar, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

How to steal a thread in four words.

2. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Has it though?

Because I thought hat was the point of this thread, right?

3. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

The thing is that if a thread is locked you broke the rules. If not, that's a different matter. Makaze you literally said when something bad happens it's locked. That's... How forums work.

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Yes, it makes perfect sense. Except when you say "people might get a better idea of what is acceptable," I think you mean "staff might get a better idea of what we find acceptable." It sounds like this member group thinks staff's humor should be more like their own because if staff lock a thread and condemn members, then the members should realize that isn't acceptable, right? The way I'm reading your post, it seems like the member group is always right, never staff.
    Staff, from what I've seen, has generally (not always, but most times) have been good judges of if a thread is made to amuse or if it's a genuinely negative thread. To bring up something that was brought up in a previous thread, there are situations when a newer, less-internet-savvy member gets offended by another member and throws a tantrum. Staff then locks the thread (though it's always when the other member lets the situation escalate instead of trying to diffuse it) and the offending member thinks staff is being unfair to the older members. The disconnection there is not between staff and members, it's between the offending members and the offended member.

5. C This silence is mine

What group are you talking about? The only "group" that is in here is the one that you are part of. The rest of us are just individuals who have similar thoughts on the subject, as a matter of fact I know that at least one of the people of a similar mindset as I actively dislikes me. There is no rift between the staff and the common member, as lots of people in here have already stated that they have close friends, therefore others are speaking out about it. Not to be the w-w-w-waaacky prick brigade.

Speaking of talking for the community, who would you say fits the role better. A small group that discusses things in a secluded group and comes to a consensus, or individuals who come to the same conclusions without being influenced by one another?

6. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

You assume we don't all do research before making these kinds of suggestions?

7. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Whichever group it is, the division exists.

If the people in this thread make up that group, then that group is attempting to communicate with the staff in a casual setting. They are inviting the staff to join in the fun and take things as lightheartedly as a lot of us do.

You might not see it or care but we do interact with the staff—when they delete our posts or lock a thread. Us members, I mean, in general. Whether you consider that justified or not, I think you're picking sides rather than acknowledging the divide. Members don't just kick up stuff with staff out of nowhere. There is usually a lock or a series of locks, if not a ban or such (obviously more rare), behind an outburst.

But I'm saying that members and staff alike might clash less if they talked, even when the staff are on the offensive. Maybe threads wouldn't get locked as often if staff didn't misinterpret the context, and maybe members would be more sensitive if the people who enforced sensitivity were willing to talk to them as it happened.

8. C This silence is mine

Going by what the general response to this seems to be; not really.

9. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

So since this thread kind of isn't going anywhere, the staff are making a little unofficial Skype chat for you.

Give us a bit.

Post your skype name and we'll add you!

10. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Alright Staff!

11. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

A lot of our group chooses to not post because we're all fairly hostile in certain environments and choose to stay away. Plus, we do tend to disagree. We generally bring quotes of agreement.

Quite frankly, I'm shocked a lot of this is happening in a forum called "FEEDBACK and assistance." Ya know, where people get all defensive, hot, and bothered because someone left some FEEDBACK. Also, no matter how small the group, it's a problem. This is why our group made the compromise when it came to being accused of bullying. Yes, it was a vocal minority, but it was a problem and we agreed we'd ease up. We have. But because our group is small and has a problem, our opinions don't matter? I don't feel like my opinion matters. Heck, Misty locked my thread by saying "because there's no problem." Way to feel like my feedback means jack-**** around here.

12. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I didn't mean that, misconception. I will not go out on a limb and say that any of my friends or I myself are blameless in our actions. You are openly applying contempt of cop here. If someone challenges an authority that you respect or your authority, you might assume that they did it just because they are self-righteous or want to be disrespectful towards authority. That is an actual psychological stigma that is taught to cops.

My argument does not come from a position of straight out disrespect, but from the obvious division. Please do not insert bias into what I am saying. It actually shows you are predisposed to think I am biased, which is a bias in itself.

You are, again, rationalizing. You are giving your personal opinion on what a good judge is. That does not in any way solve the problem that arises when two groups are opposed to each other and do not communicate in casual settings.

If the members get out of line, then the very first line of defense should be to go up to that member and casually suggest that they tone it down and express concern. This is infinitely better than handing out punishment or warnings in the event that someone gets carried away. If you disagree then I will be forced to consider your position "don't challenge staff decisions because I see sense in them myself".

13. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I feel mocked, but eh. At least this could lead to good things.

14. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Dude of the staff don't make a post that says "everyone cool down" its a pretty rare situation. It only happens when it's on request or the situation is too drastic. I've gotten a few threads locked from stuff I said but there was always a "calm down" post which I or someone else didn't listen to. The people that don't listen to these posts seem to be the ones supporting this.

15. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

...erm, if this becomes a permanent thing, I'll join at a later date since it's almost bed time. Gotta be up at 4.
    But I find it ironic that nobody was forbidding anybody from making this group and yet, staff had to do it after so many heated arguments.

Well, that's your group members' faults. If you're all fairly hostile in certain environments, why would others -especially staff- want to be in a conversation with you guys? Or are you only hostile when your opinions are being disagreed with by the majority? In which case, welcome to life. Either you should all (or as most of you that can) post so we can see just how many people do support this, or you should stop talking about how many people you speak for when I only see...4, 5 tops that are posting.
    Nobody is saying your opinions don't matter. But you guys are seeing a problem that nobody else is seeing, even after so many pages of talking about it. Do you think every suggestion is going to be accepted? It isn't. Don't throw a tantrum because your suggestions aren't accepted. And honestly, I was going to post (alright, derep you) exactly what Misty said; "there's no problem." Nobody's feedback means jack[KEYBLADE] around here, but not every piece of feedback is something the site has to change over. If we were to put it to a vote, then I would say the majority vote would get the win, right? Being a minority (says the liberal Latin Atheist from the Bible Belt) does not make you the victim, or the oppressed, or the ignored. It just means more people disagree with you than agree.

16. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

You wanted better communication between us. The Skype Chat is the whole purpose of this suggestion which is to create better communication according to members.

I am not mocking you by doing what people have asked, jsut listening to what people are saying and working towards it.

17. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

It isn't that they don't matter. It's that the problem is presented as if it applies to everybody. I personally feel a little misrepresented in this thread. As a lot of the members in this thread have stated, a lot of people seem to get along with staff pretty well. There seems to be a divide between your group and staff. Not the members as a whole and staff.

18. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I'm pretty sure members consider that a warning and not casual, and it still does not solve the divide problem.

I think the basic problem is that the feedback of this group will never be accepted because it will always be that group and it will never be a majority. These those members will become the ignored members. Thus he would be right about their feedback being worthless. The only way to get what they want is to follow what the masses want.

If we assume you are right about such a group.

19. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Maybe I am a little biased since I do respect staff's authority, but I will not say that my entire foundation of reasoning is centered around that. Misty herself can tell you about the issues I had with staff before and there is still a current staff member that I do not get along with or respect as a person in any way. There are a couple of other staff members that I really dislike, although we've personally have never gotten into it. You're inserting bias (alright, a little more bias into my already little bias) into my argument when I think you're argument is biased. It's no secret that you have issues with authority, especially staff on here. I'm saying that there isn't a division or at least one worthy of notice, but your bias makes you see this so-called "obvious division."

As for your last comment, I quote Argyle:

I've seen staff do this. I've been on the receiving end of staff doing this. I've heard of staff doing this. Staff almost always expresses concern before handing out punishment. And if you disagree, then I will be forced to consider your position "I challenge staff decisions because I don't see sense in them." You're egotistical, Makaze, I'll give you that. But even you can't be so subjective in your logic that you think you're automatically right just because you're the one thinking it.

20. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Or you guys could make the effort to actually talk to staff casually? Instead of only arguing and bickering, you could find common interests. If you want a better relationship, then work for it. That's what the majority of us who are friends with staff have done. The masses don't seem to be against the idea of having a group convo to unite the members and staff. They just seem to not like the idea that they're being included in part of this division. You may see a division between yourself and staff. But does that mean there's a division between them and me? Not really. And from the looks of it, not everybody else thinks there's a huge division between themselves and staff as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.