Implemented Skype Group [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by jafar, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jafar custom title

In light of recent events, it's been very clear that there is a rift between the staff and the members. The forum is hostile and there is a lot of miscommunication and disconnection, which leads to arguing and fighting. It's a double-edged sword and both sides are getting hurt by it.

So I had an idea for a Skype group. One that would act as a hang-out zone for everybody, without any labels of "staff" or "premiums" or "normies." It would help break down the barriers and maybe prevent further issues. There is a distance between all of us and to help bring us together and create a sturdier unification of the site, this would be a chill way to achieve that end.

You would just hop onto Skype and the group chat will be there, and you could see who's on and who's off and just hang. It would allow closer relationships between all members without worry of cliques or anything of the sort.

2. Misty gimme kiss

You know you can just start a Skype group without making a suggestion thread about it?

But we are not going to have an "official chat room." Just not going to happen. There are plenty of Skype chats out there, some people don't participate in them because they don't like group chats or don't like the people in them.

3. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    Hail hail!

I agree obviously, since I'm with you now as you typed this.

4. Beau Hollow Bastion Committee

I like the idea, but I just have one concern...

What if the Skype group separates into these 'cliques', or what if some intense fighting and hostility breaks out?

Oh, and another thing: would there be 'moderators' of some sort in the group? You know, to keep things in check and keep hostility low? If so, who would have the right to decide these moderators?​

5. jafar custom title

The point is for people to get to know each other and to learn to like each other. There's a lot of tension lately, mostly because people don't know each other well enough. This is would be a way to relieve that tension.

6. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Pretty much this. Feel free to make Skype convos as you wish, but nothing will be considered official or moderated by us.

7. jafar custom title

The idea is that there wouldn't be "moderators," because of the labels and the powers that come with them would just cause strife and tension. It would be the expectation that this is a chill-out zone. And it isn't possible to have moderators in a Skype chat anyways.

8. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

It is possible to be a moderator in skype chats. I only know because Makaze has mentioned it before, since he is one in one chat i'm in.

9. C This silence is mine

If you looked around you would see that official chatrooms are just not going to happen on this site. Just like with voxli, you can make your own and invite other members, but for obvious reasons it won't be connected to the forum.

10. Sabby Sleepy Panda Assassin

The forum is hostile because people don't chill out. right now it just feels like everyone is just going along with a popular thread. Yeah everyone is getting hurt, I'm hurt by so much of the stuff that is going on. Sorry, even putting me with people on skype.. still makes me seem like I can be attacked online. I don't need that. If you want to calmly talk about certain things then go ahead. If most of you know that if you talk to me, I talk to you as a friend first than a staff member. There is still going to be issues. You're saying to break the barrier between the staff and members yet there has to be that divide as well. As staff it's our job to moderate and take care of the forums.

Go ahead and make a skype group chat, though you already know that some people would not post in it because they don't want something to happen. There are cliques, sometimes that can't be helped. Would you allow different members to join in your chat if you guys were just randomly talking? And if there are random topics will it because a heated debate? No one wants to deal with debates 24/7. Seriously, I would like to join chats just for random fun and have a good time. Yet I can't say much because I have to back up EVERYTHING I SAY with logical facts. Sorry, I just want to be really random.

I'm fine if you make the skype group. Just understand that when you think things will all be happy and good, it's never the case.

11. C This silence is mine

But that's wrong. You can have administrators in a Skype group, I'm in one that has several. You make a suggestion like this without even researching how Skype groups work?

12. jafar custom title

I never mentioned it would be an official chatroom. But I wanted to create something that would create stronger relationships between all of us.

13. C This silence is mine

You're free to do so. Why was this suggestion needed?

14. Hiro ✩ Guardian

H
    Pretty much this. Not everyone is loved on here, and with the slight mistake in word choice for a sentence, people can get easily attacked. I like this idea, and I want to join, but I'm hesitant when I take into account my history with members on here.

15. Inasuma "pumpkin"

>chat
    >unaffiliated with forum
    >doesn't need announcing
    >no mods
    >casuals welcome
    >sabrina required for female presence.

sup heh

16. jafar custom title

Well, the whole point of this is to break down those barriers and get a fresh start so we can all learn to better interact with one another.

17. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Eh, we can talk anywhere. We don't need a designated, "It's okay to talk here area." Ideally, everywhere should be more or less like that. I'm not saying that everyone should be thoughtlessly accepting of everything that gets said all the time or anything, but the goal is openness so don't close it off to just one secluded area.

18. C This silence is mine

>make skype group
    >invite KHV members
    >KHV members invite other KHV members

It's not really that difficult.

19. Beau Hollow Bastion Committee

But then, like I said, what if emotions are running high for whatever reason and some fighting breaks out? It wouldn't be a chill-out zone then, yes?

And yes, obviously having a higher rank than somebody comes with power. They'd have the power to stop conflicts, for this case. Sure, others can try to diffuse the situation, but it's the respect you have for a leader/moderator/whatever that truly makes the conflict stop.

"Oh, I hate Adventure Time. It's insanely idiotic and I find anyone who watches that crap is an imbecile too!"
    "What? Adventure Time isn't stupid, it's a great show. Obviously either: 1) you're stupid or 2) you simply have no taste."
    And thus the bickering back and forth continues.
    "Enough bickering you two! Here, let us talk in a separate group and figure this out."
    (oh snap, one of the moderators is pretty serious. i should really stop while i'm ahead and work this out).

Yes, the example is a little silly, but I think I got my point across. The feeling of having a watchful eye over you keeps everyone in check.​

20. Sabby Sleepy Panda Assassin

But what you don't understand is that there will be no fresh start. We all get judged subjectively, no matter what. I would like to do that, but someone will judge others because of the past. I get judged for many stuff already, some of you don't take me so seriously. I get stupid remarks towards me. Start off by talking to people already. If you want to interact with staff, then start up a conversation? I don't know who has my msn, but it's there for a reason. If it doesn't show, you can ask me and I'll gladly give it to you. Am I supposed to start up all the conversations? If you want to get to know me, then tell me and we can chat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.