Should Posts Count?

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Jayn, Sep 4, 2011.

?

Should Posts Count?

1. Yes.

75.9%
  2. No.

18.1%
  3. Don't care.

6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayn

It wouldn't affect the RP discussion section.

2. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

Yeah, I agree. It's better than nothing.
    And yes, I know people work for their posts, but what I'm saying is, they usually can still get away with a few lines.
    While I don't have a problem with doing paragraphs for RP posts, since that is normally what I write anyway, I still have to feel slightly that it is unfair we are required to do it to be counted for something we should be counted for anyway, like any other section.
    But that is just me there.
    As you said, it's better than nothing, and I have to agree with that too.

Yes, while the mod is there to make people work for their posts we again want to keep in mind that other sections can get away with a few lines.
    While we DO NOT want that. We don't want to go overboard either.
    I agree that 1000 is reachable as a lot/if not all of my RP posts are over that anyway.
    However, I still would like to say it could be seen as pretty high.
    Considering 1000 characters reaches around 200 to 250 words and that when we were talking of word count we were considering around 200 words, that would mean that to make it more likely to hit around 200 words we may wish to just reduce the character limit slightly, like say to 950.
    Of course that was just a suggestion, and as mentioned previous. Staff are dealing with what the count will be among other things anyway. So we shouldn't worry about it too much in that regard.

3. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

So if you put an RP section in the creativity corner than posts would count, that makes sense to me. As long as it isn't one of those RP's that have no plot, no logic, and no real reason. Something like this;
    ???: Let's fight!
    ????: Nah, i'm tired.
    ???: I'm gonna go and do this.
    ????: I'm gonna blah blah blah

If it was something like this then it would be acceptable;
    ??: *sitting in a dark corner crying*
    ???: What's wrong? *trying to comfort ??*
    ??: It's happening again . . . the dark is coming and it's going to take me over *eyes begin changing to red*
    ???: I . . . I see . . . *stands up for a minute to think* Then there is only one option . . . *pulls out a sword*
    ??: Please . . . do it for me *still crying*
    ???: Yes . . . *stabs the ground at ?? feet* . . . *smiles* I could never kill you . . . not even if I knew you would kill me *walks away*
    ??: Then . . . I really am sorry *grabs the sword and charges for ???*
    That would be an acceptable RP . . . there would also have to be major rules to stop any trolling or spamming, like each post must have "so many" characters or lines of text. There would also have to be quite a few more mods to keep an eye on things as I am sure there would be more there than just one or two mods could handle. All and all I think this is a pretty good idea though thinking about it from the perspective of the premium qualifications (1000 posts) it's kind of like giving people an easy access to it. Unless you did something like made a restriction so you can only post in "so many" thread/RPs. Well anyway, like I said quite a few restrictions and limits will need to be set into place to keep it under wraps but if everything was done right then it would be a great thing for many users. Final Answer= Good Idea

EDIT~~~~

Sorry, (didn't notice the rest of the pages *facepalm*) Anyway, I like the idea of the post-count mod. It's very unique and would make everything much simpler ^_^ also like someone said it would make it better for people who want the post count and for the people who don't then it doesn't really matter. Final Answer For P-C Mod= Success!!!

4. Ego Imperium Twilight Town Denizen

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
    You seem to be a bit late to the party. At the moment, I believe they're looking into installing a plug-in that will count posts on the basis of a character count. Basically, RP posts counting would be able to moderate itself to a degree. Speaking of which... how's the look in on that idea going?

5. P Banned

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that style of RPing is against the rules, even now. :p

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Really? . . . Okay then how about this;
    ?? was sitting there crying in the corner as I watched from across the room. I slowly made my way over to ?? step by step. With each inch I grew closer and I knew that I would soon hear what it was I was trying to avoid for so long. "What's wrong?" I asked ??. ?? replied with hesitation, "It's happening again," she paused, "the darkness is coming and it's going to take me over." With this ?? eyes began to flicker in and out of a state of red. A red I had only seen once before. Slowly I gave ?? my answer, "I-I see, then I guess there is only one answer." I drew the sword from my side that had been waiting for so long to once again taste the sweet crimson elixir it so deserved. ?? was somewhat happy in her answer, "Please, do it for me." I took but one last look as I brought the sword high into the air and with a swift stab I placed it into the floor just at ?? feet. I smiled as I turned away, "I could never kill you, not even if I knew you would kill me otherwise." I began to walk away feeling a moment of satisfaction knowing that for the first time I made a choice that didn't end someone else's life. "Then, i'm really sorry," ?? replied as ?? grabbed the sword from the floor and darted too me. I knew what was coming so I dare not look back for fear that my decision wouldn't be as final as I made it out to be.
    Is that any better? lol I can see why, it is much more descriptive and long this way.

7. Midnight Star Master of Physics

That's a huge improvement and that's a good post. Legnth wise, with the suggested 1000 character limit, that post would count. Only thing that struck me was that seemed more like something you'd find in the creativity corner than the rp arena as it was in first person and you were controlling both of the characters in it. Not that it matters.

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I hate to be that guy who am I kidding, I love to be that guy, and I know staff is working hard on other things, but is there any update on this?
    As in, is the mod set in stone to be used?
    Is there a set limit for characters?

Oh, and as for the whole BB Code situation, I encourage people to use the Enhanced Interface (Go to your User CP, edit your General Settings, and your "Message Editor Interface" is the first option to change). The Interface is the 'box' where you type and format posts. As far as I know, the Standard Editor is the default. The Enhanced Interface works a bit like Microsoft Word. If you highlight something and change the font, size, color, etc., there will be no BB Code, but instead it'll change immediately. This causes the BB Code to work, but not be typed out. When you quote posts, you'll see the quote already formatted and won't see any BB Code. For example, if I were to quote Jayn, I would see [*quote=Jayn]Her pretty text here[/*quote] instead of [*quote=Jayn][bbcode][size][color]Normal text[/bbcode][/quote*].
    The Quick Reply will show BB Codes, regardless, but I imagine that once posted, BB Code won't count towards that character count.
    ...actually, once posted, BB Code shouldn't count regardless of Interface now that I think about it since BB Code doesn't show in posts, right?

Eh, either way, just a suggestion.

9. P Banned

The problem with BBCode is that I suspect this post I'm making right now would count for 1,000 characters.[​IMG]

10. Jayn

The BBCode thing, etc, etc, are things that we're waiting on. Misty is supposed to be testing the mod sometime soon so based on that, more information will be provided and a firm decision will be reached.

Also, P. Enough posts like that, your post count would probably rise pretty quick which would, of course, not be suspicious at all. :lolface:

11. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Just a question but does the mod count posts that have already been made or just new ones?

12. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

I believe this has been asked, although I would like to second the question.

Also, is the character count decided?

13. Plums Wakanda Forever

The mod will count posts already made.

And there hasn't been a decision to the character limit just yet. o:
    Misty will/is testing around with it, and when she gets finished, more info will be provided and a decision will be reached.

14. P Banned

I think the best thing to do would be to disable BBcode in the RP Arena. That'd stop the potential abuse. After all, it's not as though you really -need- BBcode for RPing. It's just text.

/trollface

15. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I'm quite against this and please only do this if there is no other way. A lot of people use BB Code to enhance their posts, such as many rpers assign there characters a colour to make it clear who it's about as well as improving the look of the post. It is also common for people to use it to make speech and thoughts stand out and to make it obvious which is which. Wouldn't this prevent banners and roleplaying graphics being used? That would be a shame as banners not only, greatly improve how it looks, they also help people to visulise what the chara's look like. I think these make rps look more attractive to onlooks, perhaps making more people interested in it as well as helping other rpers.

16. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

Well, P was only joking.
    But I agree with you, I'd deem this as unfair and unnecessary if this did happen. (However, I honestly doubt the staff would ever do that lol)
    I wouldn't worry about it though, Midnight.
    I think the BBcode is pretty safe lol

17. Jayn

Alright, so Misty tested out the mod and fortunately, BBcode DOES NOT count.
    Howeverrr, spaces do count.

Most of us know how to get by the 10 characters per post limit, and it works the same way as that and could potentially be abused. So that's the next issue.

18. P Banned

How about images? They're not included in BBcode tags.

Failing that, yeah, it's far too easy to get 1,000 characters like this.

Is there a way to stop the autoshortening of extended spaces? That'd make it fairly obvious.

Alternatively, simply offer an insta-infraction to anyone caught doing it.

19. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

^This.

I think it's a simple and effective solution.
    People would have plenty of warning, so yeah. :/
    No one can contest it really, I mean it would be obvious after all. :/

20. Jayn

I'm assuming if the developer prevented BBcode front counting, IMG tags wouldn't either, but I've asked Misty to get back to me with confirmation.

Also, if there's someone who seriously feels the need to cheat their way to post count in the RP Arena, I think they can be dealt with individually. The majority of members would most likely not abuse it, and again, if someone's post count is skyrocketing it'll be obvious. The solution for that doesn't seem too impossible.

The rules will be revised, again, if implemented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.