Should Posts Count?

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Jayn, Sep 4, 2011.

?

Should Posts Count?

1. Yes.

75.9%
  2. No.

18.1%
  3. Don't care.

6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ego Imperium Twilight Town Denizen

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
    And are you representing your side of the argument any better now by pouting about how it's looking like people will finally say "yes" to RP posts counting? I've seen quite a few of the old threads on this subject. And it seems to me that most of the RPers took the "no" in graceful defeat, and in some cases, RPers even voted against having their posts here counted.

2. Stardust Chaser

Hey guys, I understand some of you feel strongly about this issue, but it's getting pretty heated in here. You can express your concerns of course, but please be clean and respectful. It doesn't help anyone to drill things into each other's skulls, and you can resolve disagreements without doing so.

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I checked the poll results. About 15 people who voted "yes" don't RP, at least not frequently enough that I've seen them around.
    That number alone -of people that don't RP but do think they should count- is higher than the 11 -which includes a couple who do RP- that don't think it should count.
    In other words, we can take the RPers opinions out of this equation and yet, yes would still win.
    The biggest supporters of this idea are already premium.

As Machina said, there's a completely different feel between story writing and RPing and, if I should add from my own experience, graphic making, video editing, long discussion posts, and even gaming discussion, and I would add it's also different from coding, but since I've never hacked nor coded (lol reference), I wouldn't know. And yet, RPing is the only one that doesn't count for anything on this site, despite the amount of traffic it gives and the amount of hard work it takes. Nobody is going to RP for the sake of increasing their post count and those who do would still have to have a legit, valuable, and contributing post otherwise it would be dealt with just like every other section. The point of this isn't to make RPing...I don't even know what you think the point is, but it's to put RPing on equal level as the other hobbies on here that everyone else seems to think is more worthy.
    If you have such a problem with this, for whatever reason, then suggest that EVERY section besides Kingdom Hearts, Forum News, News and Update, Square Enix, and Disney Galaxy loses its post count, since they don't contribute anything either, at least with your logic.

4. C This silence is mine

Alright. I have decided that I support this instead. GIVE ME THAT LEGENDARY PIN, RPS!

Another thought: We could remove posts from every section but the KH ones? Those are the meat and sauce of KHV, the rest are just meaningless sauce.

5. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Then we'd have to beat the dead horse of KH games to become prem. D;

We clearly can't have Role-players simply come here and get all the posts they need, because that's not the idea at all.

Also, if the mod is implemented, then there's really no point in having a clear separation on "light" role-plays, the mod would simply grant posts to those long enough.

6. Llave Superless Moderator

I agree with Chev, if that were to be implemented, all hell would break loose. Not a single person would be a premium anymore.

I just don't see why it is needed to count... It could be a very easy way to get to premium and i just don't think that part of counting posts would be fair...

7. Jayn

Could you elaborate on your concerns a bit more for me? Well, specifically, why do you believe it would be an easy method? I understand the potential for it being a 'shortcut' to premium, if you will, but that risk is what we're trying to minimize here with a compromise. It's why not all role play posts can count--because I honestly agree that it would be extremely unfair, but why the ones with more effort and content behind them deserve to count (also why it is unfair for those posts not to count).

I personally believe that finding little three sentence things to comment about in a KH section and earning posts for it, eventually earning prem is easier than writing a 5-paragraph or something role play post--and not earning a post count.

Edit; To rephrase that, I believe those looking for 'easy' posts would quicker turn to another section than mooch off of the RP section, if this were implemented. If they did vouch to write a long, content filled RP post for post count, then they would deserve it, no? It would still have to be earned, and unsatisfactory or spammy posts would still be dealt with accordingly just like they are in every other post-counting section most definitely.

8. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Why should post count matter if you enjoy doing what you do? (inb4 it's been said before say something new) If posts have not counted in the RP section before, why should that change now? Has anyone had a life changing experience because they don't get posts from the RP section? I very highly doubt it.

9. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

Once again I must ask, why does it matter to you? I understand why it really doesn't matter if their posts count or not in the grand scheme of things, but had it started out with their posts counting would you be campaigning to make them not?

One way or another what they deiced to do with this won't effect me much, if at all really, so if the majority wants the posts to count then they should get that. The only argument you are putting forth is that because they enjoy Role-playing they shouldn't need their posts to "count". So what if it's more of a want? They've made allot of valid arguments in favor of this and I think they deserve their dues.

In short: You like how things are now and don't want it to change, that isn't a good enough argument against change.

10. Jayn

I guess I just genuinely don't understand why your personal opposition is so strong. Your opinion is validated and deserved, however this is a public forum. Just as you're entitled to your opinion on that matter, everyone else is entitled to theirs; including the majority vote which is 'yes', including both non-roleplayers and role players.

Posts don't count = Offensive to people who put hard work into it, and unfair to those who aren't very active in sections other than RP. Elaboration on this is above.
    All RP Posts count = Entirely unfair for everyone. There's just no way that's happening as much as some RPers might wish it would.
    Compromise? = Creativity Corner-like posts count, all others do not.

There is no option that leaves everyone happy, the goal here is to find something that compromises both things. Both parties sacrifice something. Even with this solution not everyone is going to be happy. But just as you believe posts not counting isn't going to be the end of the world, posts counting isn't either. Posts counting here isn't going to kill you or anyone else.

I respect your opinion. But I do hope you're honestly trying to be open-minded about it, see it from all perspectives, and respect other's opinions as well. You personally may be against this, as well as the other's who voted 'No' or who are hesitant about things; but that doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. As stated earlier by Ego, I believe, the role play community has accepted defeat with this issue in the past over and over again with respect. It's not just, "Leave it as it is now because it's always been that way." because the issue still remained that it wasn't fair, and obviously a large amount of people have complaints about the current system. Try not to discredit everyone who has posted here and in the past with their opinions by saying that the way the system is now doesn't hurt anyone or affect anyone.

That is where this compromise is coming in that infuses both 'No RP posts counting' and 'RP posts should count'. At least it's fair to both parties that way, even though no one will ever be 100% satisfied. It's the best that can be done (still being looked into) and I hope that you, everyone else on the 'no' side and the ones who want role play posts to count no matter what the length, can respect that.

Edit; Ninja'd by Droid and Ninja'd Midnight (sorry. D: )

11. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I don't think that's the point. It won't be life changing, it would just be nice to get some recognition for the amount of work that goes into some rps. It probably won't make a huge difference but does it need to? Some of the posts in here deserve to count, just look at one of Jayn's rps if you want proof. Sure not all, that's why we have the mod. People won't rp for the posts but it would be nice to see some of your hard work being recognised in your post count. Plus it would give people an incentive to improve to get there posts to the high standart to count.

Edit: Sorry if I repeated any points that have already been said.

12. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

So let me get this straight. He is wrong because he keeps on saying the same thing well no offense but if I heard a decent argument is to why posts should count then hell I would be all for it. The same thing is being said because it is going in one ear and out the other. Honestly if you guys NEED posts to count to keep this section alive then that is very sad. Sorry but that's my opinion. I don't know why post count has to be such a big deal I mean come on people is a number. Big freaking deal. It shouldn't matter.

Sooooooo you are putting him down to make the RP section look better? Real classy.

People shouldn't be taking the lack of a post count offensively. Honestly post count is more or less just something to brag about or have pride in. And if you need those posts to be counted to make your section happy to RP then they aren't there for the RP they are there for the posts. I don't see the benefit to the site of posts counting, yet you say anyone can state their opinion but if someone says something that isn't a yes there seems to automatically be a negative tone. How can you expect us to respect the wishes that you have if we come in here and have our heads bitten off?

I really don't know what else to say because I feel like this is a wasted effort. I say one thing and a swarm of RP people come in to tell me why I am wrong.

13. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I'm sorry, I'm confused. When was it said we needed the post to keep the section alive? When was it said that we needed them? We don't need them but that is no reason as to why we shouldn't have them. We would like them as some of the posts in here deserve them,(like I said before, if you need proof loook at any of Jayn's rps) though not all hence the mod. I don't understand why you see it as such a bad thing. We would like recognition for our hard work, it is not the end of the world if we don't but it would be a really good step forward to take. I apologise if I repeated anything.

14. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

You all should take pride in your work. Having posts count shouldn't be a damn thing to you all if you really had pride in what you did. I don't go around posting tons of threads so I get recognition for my work simply because I don't need a post count on a forum to know what I do is good or not. The same should apply to you guys.

15. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

...Prepare for uber long post.
    GO!

Already been covered, RPing brings to the site what any part of the creative corner brings to the site.
    If posts count there, they should count here.
    If they shouldn't count here, then they shouldn't there either.
    In fact, the entire basis of your argument is how relevant the sections are to the site.
    If anything, that means only the sections that talk about KH are relevant. If that is the case, then the post count in other sections should be scrapped. Not going to happen clearly.

We are not putting it like that.
    Sorry if you feel that way, but don't start twisting things to make it seem like you're the victim when we're all trying to discuss things as they should be discussed.
    Just think of this logically.
    If something has already been addressed, it means we go in circles when it is bought up again. We need to move the discussion forwards.

The root of the problem is ACTUALLY people being against posts to Role Players for no reason.
    As I said in an earlier post, it just sounds like the gist of it is some people don't want Role Players to gain a higher post count. Why?
    It's not like it's gonna harm anyone, I actually don't care about post count persay, I'll reach prem when I reach it.
    Most of are voters for YES already are Prem, what could they have to gain from this? It's not about gaining posts for prem or whatever, it is about being on equal par to the other sections.

Now it sounds like you care about the premium thing?
    To be honest, as I said, this would not happen, and we weren't saying it should.
    What we were saying is that if we follow the logic of your arguments you have presented thus far, then that is how the entire site should be.
    After all, why should that only apply to the Role-Play section.
    It's essentially saying. OH! Role Playing doesn't give anything to the forum! It shouldn't get post count.
    Well neither do most of the other sections. That is our point.
    It's like discrimination against Role Players.
    In fact, The Role Playing arena from what I understand gives the site a lot of traffic, a lot more than some other sections in fact.
    And it would not be easy to reach premium. The restrictions they would place on RP posts would make them more than fair to count towards the post count.
    Writing a paragraph or so of text over the two or so lines that you can get away with in other sections seems more than fair.
    You don't see why it needs to count?
    Well we don't see why it shouldn't count.

People have addressed this many times before, the fact it keeps coming up means something.
    I mean, we could say to people, oh, why do you make graphics and post them? Is that so you can gain post count?
    Hell no!
    They do it cause they enjoy it (I make graphics too, so I know this) and they get rewarded a post count for their hard work.
    We enjoy RPing, why shouldn't we be awarded a post count if we deserve it?

I'm not trying to be rude, but so far all of your arguments seem to be on the basis of:
    "Why should we get post count? It's not like we deserve it." (at least, looking at everything you've said, and bluntly paraphrasing, that's what it seems like.)

The RP section is one of the most active sections on the site. It doesn't need post count to survive.
    This is about being equal.
    Without being personal, you yourself have said you understand the equality thing for various reasons.
    It is the exact same thing. This section which is about creativity etc should be on equal terms with other creative sections.
    Just like how those considered staff should be equal in terms of what a staff team represents (that is another can of worms but yes, you can see my point)

We aren't doing that at all, if anything, we could say he is putting the RP section down with the things he is saying.
    All we are doing is addressing what he says, nothing more, or less.
    We aren't making this personal.

We don't need those posts to count to be happy, we have RP'd for a long time without them counting. However, there is no reason why the should or shouldn't count.
    People would continue to RP for the sake of RPing and enjoying it because they love it, whether posts count on not.
    It's like the code vault (again using this example so you relate to it)
    If you lost post count in the code vault, would you stop making codes? No! Cause you love it, it is YOUR thing.
    It's the same for us RPers.
    You don't see the benefit of posts counting for our section?
    Then please tell me, what is the benefit for posts counting in the code vault? Or the creativity corner?
    Again, it is the same thing.
    We aren't trying to bite your heads off or be negative.
    I'm not being funny, but as this debate is going on, things are turning negative on their own. We do not want to start a flaming war or anything.

Isn't that the point of a debate?
    You tell us why we are wrong or right and we do the same to you.
    Also, I want to clarify, it isn't just RP people. There have been plenty of none RPers also involved in this debate on both sides.
    Can we just sorta... you know. Avoid stereo typing like that?

Yes, we get that.
    And I whole heartedly agree with you on that.
    However, as things stand, the sections aren't equal. While we take pride in our work, it does feel a little belittling that our section gets such a hard time when all we want is a bit of equality.
    Again, as you have said in the past. You of all people say you can understand that.
    I could further present my points with another fact, but I don't know if it is something I should bring up here, so I won't. (again, it would open up a whole other can of worms)

~

Anyway...
    MASS POST over!

16. C This silence is mine

Alright, just to stop some of the repetetive discussions. Would someone mind showing the people what WOULD count versus something that wouldn't? How much content would it need? How long? I think if someone only shows that then it would stop a lot of this discussion. I can't really say something on the lenth myself, since I'm not sure how much content and such and such should be in them.

17. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Right, I'm not certain about this but I'm guessing

^ This won't be counted. (Sorry HA)

^ This probably will be counted.

What I want to know though is, will something like this ^ be counted?

EDIT: I know you said before it'd be a frest start but would that be the same with P's mod or would we get posts for pervious rps?

18. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

To the people who suggest we need post count to feel pride in out work:
    We already feel pride in our work. We don't need the count to do that. We want the post count BECAUSE we have pride. The other creative sections, where people put forth work with pride, get post counts. We aren't trying to revive the section or gain pride. We're asking for equality and accepting of our work.

19. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

This.

But as an example, let me use my own posts as the "extremes" of each end.
    This shouldn't count.

The later one was a special occassion post and probably the longest I've ever written. But why should a post like that not count as much as a Creativity Corner or as much as "Here's what I did in Photoshop *enter Tag here*. What do you think?"

20. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

I have to agree with those extreme examples...

Admittedly on all accounts, I doubt every post would be THAT long, and heck no one would expect it to be.
    But if that second post is not considered to be post count worthy, then I don't know what would be.
    I mean, that post alone was longer than some submissions than in the creativity corner, just as an example.
    While not all posts would BE that long, it is a great example of how much effort people can and do put into posts.

At any rate, I think from the examples Midnight and Bueno posted, that everyone can see what we mean now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.