Should Posts Count?

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Jayn, Sep 4, 2011.

?

Should Posts Count?

1. Yes.

75.9%
  2. No.

18.1%
  3. Don't care.

6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C This silence is mine

That is true, but they add to a discussion at the very least. If we go through with this then I want most of the threads in the Usual Spot to have posts count as well. People just reply to them for fun, but they still have good replies a lot of the time. It only seems fair.

Edit: After reading through the whole thread I decided to vote "No". Just because of how the RP side seems to be potrayed in this thread. I still stand by going for it as long as it is very heavily moderated though. Very.

2. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I have question, if P's mod is used so only posts over a certain legnth will count. Will these posts still have to be really good? People keep saying it will need heavy moderation, I would like to know how so and how will the moderation be carried out? Will the posts be deleted? As that may cause problems will holes in the story, especially if that persons character is interacting with someone else's or will the posts be edited just so they are not long enough to count?

3. What? 『 music is freedom 』

I suppose I reluctantly voted in support, albeit slightly reluctantly and on a general sort of conditions. Roleplaying is most certainly a positive and rather creative experience in itself - a sort of indirect socialization and dynamic taking place between those who take part within the crafted storyline whilst developing it themselves, one can compare it to a lovely form of improvised drama through the hands of writers. This creative potential combined with the factor of what a forum is at its root creates a lovely gumbo that certainly holds some value or worth which would warrant at least some degree of post counting - to an extent, however.

As for the prime issue at hand, I concur that the segregation may indeed cause some sort of problem of sort, however minimal - even if the Light Roleplaying and the Serious Roleplaying sections are treated as general equals, the difference in the amount of content and quality between the two, along with the more lax restrictions on the former, would essentially deteriorate the reputable status of the Light Roleplaying section and its threads in general - at least from various perspectives. Segregation is usually not a lovely thing, thus Pika's aforementioned mod seems to serve as a sort of deus ex machina to this problem - of which I shall report in my direct support in alternative to the aforementioned. Not only would the roleplays continue to stay relatively together but the set limit would encourage greater creative effort in posts through all roleplays in the section - instead of simply those in the aforementioned serious section. As stated previously, the limit may be set to an appropriate level where counted Roleplay posts will not skyrocket but at the same time increase a good level, and those who simply wish to post for the post count would be blocked by such a limit, being encouraged to put more effort into their posts and the like. Perhaps through such a way, they may eventually hold more emphasis on the actual roleplaying factor than the simple post count.

4. Pinekaboo Chaser

Going to vote yes, but only if it's with that mod, since I don't like the idea of RPs being segregated, for the reasons that several others have mentioned.
    I do want to raise one concern however, and that's that this might encourage people to have more characters rather than put in more effort into an RP. To use myself as example; in one particular RP I have many characters, meaning that what would just be a short post (2 lines per character or so) ends up becoming quite a large post, and frankly I don't think that should be seen as a 'long enough post' when it comes to adding to my post count. That just wouldn't seem fair to me, constantly getting my own post count up for something that, by my own admission, hasn't had a whole lot of effort put into it.
    Unless you want to make posts count except mine, which would proabably be pretty justified.

5. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Then why put the poll? Kinda seems unfair to ask a question where one answer will be totally disregarded in the end. (inb4 butthurt "won't be diregarded" comments)

6. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

But why do you care..? If you don't RP then how will it effect your visits to KH-vids? That's all I can suffice from this whole thing, it really only effects Role-players. If you never posted in the RP section, then continue not to.

7. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Your posts are really only being disregarded because you are bringing up points that have already been brought up. If you were supplying counter arguments rather than restating the original arguments we would take it more seriously. As it stands you haven't added much to the thread.

And everyone's opinions are being taken into account. It just so happens that group consensus is leaning heavily on "yes"

8. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Posts in the RP Arena should count, not because it would help give so many people higher post counts, but because it's a way of expressing yourself and letting out short bursts of creativity with other members, rather than writing a long story by yourself for the Creativity Corner.

This way, members can collaborate on ideas and express their creativity in small doses.

9. Jayn

As stated, if the leading vote was 'No', it would be dropped. Things have already changed because of the members opinions. Most members who did vote 'yes' seem to be more comfortable with the mod being installed. So that will be what's looked into first instead of the original OP.

In most polls there is a majority, that's how a decision is reached. Question time and KHV Awards as examples.

Everyone has a different writing style and RP method. It wouldn't be fair to set a 'good post' standard in terms of content. As long as it's relevant, effort has been put into it, and it meets requirements.

Back to the Creativity Corner comparison, not all stories are at the same writing standard, but they're still stories.

As it stands now (still looking into this mod), instead of deleting the posts the member could be notified and asked to elaborate on their post a bit if it's just nonsense. It doesn't have to sound like a novel, but if it's pretty much "___ walked into the woods." copy and pasted 200 times, then yeah. xDD

10. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Seriously this. If you want other people's opinions on it then be prepared to hear what may not be in your favor. And just because someone posts in here that doesn't RP doesn't mean their voice shouldn't count. I could have said the same thing about the coder thread that happened a while ago but tons of people that know nothing of my section got to voice their opinion and that opinion ended up winning so to speak.

People all over khv will see people's post counts and for some reason more and more people want to have higher post counts. I say if this happens we raise the cap for premium to be like 1,500 posts, or at least bring back the rep requirement.

Yes but if members want to "express" themselves a number shouldn't matter. I don't really see why post count should even be an argument anyway. If you want quality posts then members should actually care about posting. I think that a number being their motivation isn't right.

11. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Again, their votes count. There just isn't enough people voting no. That's how voting works, simple as that. We still count their votes.

Actually, raising the Premium requirement isn't a bad idea, although if that happened, a variety of other rules should be changed. You might even need to add other sections count- of course, not the Spam Zone. Anyway, if post counts don't matter in your opinion, then... where does that leave this argument?

The post count shouldn't, and probably won't be the reason people RP. All the people voting no restate the same reasons, so we're forced to do the same. The people that pass the word limit must be good at Roleplaying, but if they don't like it, they'll get their posts elsewhere. And besides, people that would do that probably won't pass the count.

Anyway, as The Bushy said, there's honestly no reason to restate the same points.

12. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Then why have them count at all?

And most of the time it isn't the amount of people that vote. It is the people that vote in the thread. Like if all staff voted yes. There is a very high chance it would happen. Where as a bunch of people who know nothing about khv voting yes wouldn't really mean much.

13. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

First, because as I've already said, we have fun doing it, and that's a reward in itself. However, they're definitely posts. They're not SPAM, which may have been implied by others. They're posts, they take time to make, and they're writing. They're creative writing. We take time on what we do, and they're definitely posts.

Secondly, correct. However, that does not change the current situation.

14. KH2man13 Gummi Ship Junkie

Do people post stories in the CC for posts? Usually, no. Do they count towards posts? Yes. Why should the RP section be any different?

15. Destiny's hand Traverse Town Homebody

I agree with Skitty and Brit. The posts themselves are definitely not SPAM. They may be short, but they're creativity in the making. Roleplays are just like stories, but they have mutliple people writing it, building upon it, spreading Ideas in it and helping it in their own ways. I say Yes.

Though, I do agree with raising the Premmy Post requirements a tad, since (As others said), some Members will take this for granted.

16. Jayn

I would like to ask that people stop bringing up the same points and topics for debate. Most of the complaints have been addressed already, please either counter the original responses to your complaint with further discussion and actual contribution or just quit all together. Read the thread.

Luxord, you already know your issues (and Nate's, apparently) with this have been addressed. The arguments are repetitive, and that's not helping either parties case. It's best to just leave it be, and that goes for everyone who posts after this.

READ THE ENTIRE THREAD. More than likely, your concerns have been addressed multiple times.

17. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Hey Jayn? I have a question.

When will the poll be closed?

18. Jayn

I will close it when the forum families decision has been reached, and staff makes a final decision about both together. c:

19. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

To be fair, same could be said about the code vault.
    People would still use it if posts counted or not. So if we can't have posts in the RP section. Why should posts count in other sections like that?

But, we're revisiting old ground.

~

This is to everyone else (since I quoted Luxord, I don't want people to think this is just at him)
    One thing I've noticed is a lot of the people who are against this are saying something along the lines of: 'Why should they get the post count? What is the point?' (horrible paraphrasing but yes.)
    Well, if that is the case, I will say: Why shouldn't the posts count? The point is, the RP section is just as creative and involves just as much hard work as the other sections. Why shouldn't the RP section therefore be equal with the other sections that have post counts.

So... the people that don't RP aren't happy that people who do RP will have there post count raise?
    How is that a negative thing for them? It isn't gonna harm anyone is it?

Some of the reasons stated by people who are against this (only some, as a few people against it HAVE had good points, I can admit that) just sound like they don't want people who RP to gain a higher post count.
    That sounds a bit like jealousy to me.
    I mean... some people don't post in the Creativity Corner at all. Are they suddenly complaining about posts counting there? Nope.
    So why is it suddenly like 'the worst thing in the world' that people are entertaining the thought of having the RP section count posts? I really don't get it.
    The RP section is a popular section of the site, and brings in a lot of activity to the forum too.
    It is just as much of a section as any other section on site.

~

Anyway, I'm fed up of repeating old ground here... *goes to sip tea and do other British things, and be British in general*

EDIT: So... Jayn's post about not repeating, Ninja'd me... lol (I spent like 20 mins typing this and doing other things... XD)
    But I also have fresh points in here, so I won't delete this post.

20. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

So if I wanted to add on to what I said I can't because it doesn't matter? Cool.

I have been reading the thread and who cares if it was brought up before. If I have something to add to it I am going to post a reply.
    I understand you are passionate about this but for the love of God be fair about it.

And to the people saying that this argument could be made against the code vault then fine. Make posts not count in there. I don't need posts as motivation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.