Shooting in Virginia

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Roxas is Hot, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crispers Beep Boop

ya Canada is slowly truning into wat is the USA and im not being mean but it's true......
    i want Canada to be left alone >:[

2. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

A list of some of the victims of the shootings at Virginia Tech:

Killed:

• Ross Abdallah Alameddine, 20, of Saugus, Mass., according to his mother, Lynnette Alameddine.

• Christopher James Bishop, 35, according to Darmstadt University of Technology in Germany, where he helped run an exchange program.

• Brian Bluhm, 25, a civil engineering graduate student, according to an announcement by the Detroit Tigers and friends.

• Ryan Clark, 22, of Martinez, Ga., biology and English major, according to Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins.

• Austin Cloyd, an international studies major from Blacksburg, Va., according to Terry Harter, senior pastor at First United Methodist Church in Champaign, Ill., where Cloyd and her family lived before moving to Blacksburg.

• Jocelyne Couture-Nowak, a French instructor, according to her husband, Jerzy Nowak, the head of the horticulture department at Virginia Tech.

• Daniel Perez Cueva, 21, killed in his French class, according to his mother, Betty Cueva, of Peru.

• Kevin Granata, age unknown, engineering science and mechanics professor, according to Ishwar K. Puri, the head of the engineering science and mechanics department.

• Matthew G. Gwaltney, 24, of Chester, Va., a graduate student in civil and environmental engineering, according to his father and stepmother, Greg and Linda Gwaltney.

• Caitlin Hammaren, 19, of Westtown, N.Y., a sophomore majoring in international studies and French, according to Minisink Valley, N.Y., school officials who spoke with Hammaren's family.

• Jeremy Herbstritt, 27, of Bellefonte, Pa., according to Penn State University, his alma mater and his father's employer.

• Rachael Hill, 18, of Glen Allen, Va., according to her father, Guy Hill.

• Emily Jane Hilscher, a 19-year-old freshman from Woodville, according to Rappahannock County Administrator John W. McCarthy, a family friend.

• Jarrett L. Lane, 22, of Narrows, Va., according to Riffe's Funeral Service Inc. in Narrows, Va.

• Matthew J. La Porte, 20, a freshman from Dumont, N.J., according to Dumont Police Chief Brian Venezio.

• Liviu Librescu, 76, engineering science and mathematics lecturer, according to Puri.

• G.V. Loganathan, 51, civil and environmental engineering professor, according to his brother G.V. Palanivel.

• Partahi Lombantoruan, 34, of Indonesia, civil engineering doctoral student, according to Kristiarto Legowo, a spokesman for the foreign ministry.

• Lauren McCain, 20, of Hampton, Va., international studies major, according to a statement from the family.

• Daniel O'Neil, 22, of Rhode Island, according to close friend Steve Craveiro and according to Eric Cardenas of Connecticut College, where O'Neil's father, Bill, is director of major gifts.

• Juan Ramon Ortiz, a 26-year-old graduate student in engineering from Bayamon, Puerto Rico, according to his wife, Liselle Vega Cortes.

• Minal Panchal, 26, a first-year building-science student from Mumbai, India, according to foreign ministry spokesman Navtej Sarna.

• Erin Peterson, 18, of Chantilly, Va., an international studies major, according to her father, Grafton Peterson.

• Michael Pohle, 23, of Flemington, N.J., according to officials at his high school, Hunterdon Central High.

• Julia Pryde, age unknown, a graduate student from Middletown, N.J., according to Virginia Tech professor Saied Mostaghimi, chairman of the biological systems and engineering department.

• Mary Karen Read, 19, of Annandale, Va. according to her aunt, Karen Kuppinger, of Rochester, N.Y.

• Reema J. Samaha, 18, a freshman from Centreville, Va., according to her family.

• Leslie Sherman, a sophomore history and international studies student from Springfield, Va., according to her grandmother Gerry Adams.

• Maxine Turner, 22, a senior majoring in chemical engineering from Vienna, Va., according to her father, Paul Turner.

+Link to Shooting Footage+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQgVAD7x5Zo

3. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

My god...one of those guys graduated from my old school. I never knew that..

4. venster You never heard of me, but I pop in time to time

It's so horrible to hear this happen. T_T I'm quite surprised that people are empathizing that it was a Korean person who did it. Why should we really care about that? Sounds kinda racist to me. =/

5. Gravity Chaser

Yeah, it kinda is racist. But I dunno...I just feel sorry for the victims and their families. That really is a horrific thing to expiriance...

6. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

I know.

That man was terrible. A sick minded feind.

7. Mish smiley day!

Apparently, he had been bullied and in his 'confessional' he was saying that it was someone else's fault. O_o

Yeah, he was obviously crazy, and this was a horrible thing to happen....

But why is the media making such a big deal out of this when gun violence happens on a daily basis in some parts of the world?

*not trying to sound insensitive or anything*. >.>

8. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

A product of our world.

Let me remind you all that he wasn't as evil as many other people in the world are. He could have done -so- much worse, and he could have only done it for fun. I sincerely believe he felt that this world had turned to dust, and that everyone was cruel and unforgiving. He was right. Maybe his actions and choices were wrong, but his ideals were right.

He was acting on his beliefs and feelings. He wasn't crazy.

Also, why is it that when someone murders 32 people, the media jumps in and covers it for days and days, straight, and yet before the U.S. went into Iraq, Saddam murdered hundreds of thousands of people a year, and the American people feel they SHOULDN'T have done anything about it? (Serious question.)

9. Mish smiley day!

That's my point. The media has blown this way out of proportion and other things, such as what you mentioned, barely get any coverage.

10. XxxXehanortxxX Gummi Ship Junkie

1. It's a school shooting.
    2. It set the record for the worst.

That's why.

Well, there's more, but that there self explains it.

11. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

No offense, but 32 people dying in the U.S. isn't as tragic as things that are going on in the rest of the world. Not to sound insensitive, but I try to think on a more global scale.

March 27, 2007 Tal Afar bombings and massacre in Iraq - 152 killed

11 July 2006 Mumbai train bombings in India - 207 killed

7 July 2005 London bombings in England - 52 killed

February 28, 2005 Al Hillah bombing in Iraq - 127 killed

September 4, 2004 Beslan school hostage crisis in Russia - 344 killed

August 24, 2004 Russian aircraft bombings in Russia- 89 killed

11 March 2004 Madrid train bombings in Spain - 191 killed

March 2, 2004 Ashura massacre in Iraq - 170 killed

October 12, 2002 Bali bombing in Indonesia - 202 killed

I think people have forgotten what the word tragic truly means.

"Mamoru Takuma (November 23, 1963–September 14, 2004) stabbed 8 first- and second-grade students to death and wounded 15 others in the Osaka school massacre of 2001." THIS is tragic, to me. Killing grown adults who don't even fight for their own lives doesn't compare to massacring children who haven't even hit puberty.

12. XxxXehanortxxX Gummi Ship Junkie

True, but this is important due to bullying.

There is evidence that he did this because he was bullied.

The whole idea is to stop the bullying.

Because this is what happens when the bullying isn't stopped.

The kid goes emo, and shoots people. Killing innocent people.

Don't get me wrong, I think the stuff you listed is bad, but, it didn't happen here in the U.S.A.

13. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

You're right, it didn't happen in the United States. But it happened on this planet, which -everyone- shares, and to humans, of which we ALL are. I often get the feeling Americans are so isolated they don't really care if anyone else dies, as long as it's not on American soil... :\

14. no-reality_allowed ¢ℓαιяνσуαηт ℓσνєкιℓℓ

Is that the actual camera footage of the shooting?
    If so what the hell is happening in there 'cause it was quite dull :\

TSOT, I had a lengthy conversation with my classmates and teacher about this today and one kid said those victims deserved to die because they didn't bother fighting back......so I had to educate him on how the human brain works under certain situations, and the fact that the gunman looked like (I'm assuming) he knew what he was doing with those two handguns.

15. XxxXehanortxxX Gummi Ship Junkie

You really shouldn't say things like that.

People do care. Not all, but some do. Of every race, no matter where they live.

I'm American on American soil.

I care. I care what happens on the planet. All those incidents you mentioned, but some others don't.

What's happening in that vid is the whole explosion part of the Columbine incident.

They wanted to set 2 bombs off in the cafeteria, making everyone run out of the emergency exit, so they can open fire on everyone.

Luckily, the bombs didn't go off.

16. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

They didn't deserve to die but their deaths were completely dishonorable to their lives. It is human instinct to survive and do whatever is necessary to accomplish that goal. Saying they couldn't have reacted is, quite honestly, bullsnot. They could have done anything, ANYTHING, to keep themselves alive. I don't care if it's charging him all at once, they should have at least died with their hands around his neck. And I don't care HOW good he is with a handgun, it's just that; a handgun. He had to have reloaded each gun at least once, plus they were not automatic weapons. A normal human being would have had plenty of time to react. The people who died were cowards, and they disgraced themselves.

However, they didn't deserve to be killed. I don't believe that "the strong survive", but I still think it was a tragedy that they didn't even attempt to fight back.

17. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Pure ignorance at it's finest. Let's say your jsut sitting there learning and I come in with two handguns then pull the trigger and bullet is flying right towards your head. We'll see how much time you have to think, react, etc, while your life is flashing before your eyes and your scared stiff. It isn't an rpg or like MGS, when soemone is shooting at you and it's the first itme you've ever seen something liek this before, there is no time to react.

The person who did the shooting was just messed up in the head, he was tired of all those who had it good, aren't we all, but everyone in the world just let's stuff like that pass by, he thought he would be some sot of saint by killing these people not giving them even an attempt to change. That's just crazy.

18. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

You obviously don't understand the pure logic of the situation. The first classroom he went into, some 15 or so people got shot. Others in the classroom did not when he walked away to another classroom. The people in the other classroom would have had more than enough time to figure out what was going on. 15 people could have been saved if they had simply used their minds. If someone throws a punch at you, you're going to react. The same can be said about this situation. The pure and simple truth is that these people were cowards who felt they didn't need to react or be brace. They thought that if they just curled up into a ball, they'd survive.

19. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

Dude...they were probably too afraid to even breathe! It wasn't their fault they didn't do anything, since they were probably too shocked by the situation to do anything! Besides, what COULD they do? Block the door? He'd shoot right though! Jump through the window? It could work, but what about the other classmates? I'd like to see YOU do anything when a psycopathic idiot bursts through your classroom door and starts shooting at you. It doesn't matter if another class could hear him on the other side of the wall.

They were far from cowards. Shadowjak was right, that's ignorance at it's purest.

20. Anderson (☞゚∀゚)☞ You've lost the game.

I didn't hear about the shooting until the next day. The videos he sent to NBC was pretty disturbing. And when I was reading the article on the Yahoo! homepage, I found alot of things that were..."unnatural." Even though Cho's actions were very wrong, IMO, I couldn't help feeling sorry for him, considering he didn't have any or maybe even any friends at all and he was depressed. There were a few things I didn't understand though, like why he said he did it for his "children" and his "brothers and sisters." The last thing I didn't understand was why he wrote "Ismail Ax" on his hand...though I might have some idea as to what that might mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.