Shooting at a Colorado Movie Theater

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Meilin Lee, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Actually, statistically speaking you are just as safe at a theater as almost anywhere else.

Also this seems relevant. That is not to say that the event is any less tragic, but our world really doesn't suck all that bad.

2. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I got so angry and pissed off at this I ranted on in a little soliquoy to myself at home when I heard it as I walked through the door.

Legalised gun possession is something I really see as a liberty that people shouldn't have so easily. It annoys me greatly to think that this could be done at any time at any public place easily because anyone can get a gun in America, legally and illegally.
    The legalisation of guns for personal use has killed more people then saved, and will always do so. I can not stress enough the leathality of a gun in the hands of the public.

3. burnitup Still the Best 1973

I'm sorry. I suppose I was a bit... overzealous with my response to the incident.

4. Patman Bof

That' s funny, here in France what' s considered "right" is prison, and a "humane" execution (if there is such a thing) is what would arguably feel good.

^ This, so much. You chose a crappy font color but what you say makes up for it.

How do you assess which is which ? Because, as for any guilt claim, the burden of proof is on you.

5. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I found out about this yesterday, and got a little freaked. I mean, I know a lot of people that live in Aurora, and it's also about 15 miles from where I lived in Highlands Ranch. Can't believe this guy and his idiocy. But I guess that's what happens to some people

6. nasirrich King's Apprentice

I'll end you on the spot so watch your six
    I'm going to school you kids real quick. First off if you do your research Lethal Injections aren't as painless as they say it is. Pentothol doesn't always induce a coma. So this will bring extreme pain to the prisoner due to the administration of potassium chloride. They are unable to show the signs of any pain however due to the paralysis brought up by the Pavulon. Knowing how quickly people would bring up the Lethal Injections just get your facts straight before you bring something up. And you wanna go into resources you do understand the Death Penalty is 2million plus right? Oh boy that right there sure isn't a lot of our resources.

So Hayabusa you may want to try and correct your state of mind, and hop back into books man cause you seem to be slacking on some key points here. Which is part of the reason why I called you a smart ass. And if you are wise as you claim to be you will understand that this point was brought up by the Hill v. Crosby case in 06. It gets better man check this out Death Row members can challenge the injection under the 8th Amendment.

7. EvilMan_89 Code Master

everyone was talking about this everywhere yesterday, this is very surprising news for me. a lot of people were questioning why someone brought a baby to the movie theater in the first place (a baby was hurt during this shooting). i was so shocked about this story and very disturbed by what seems like a lack of motive. i'm glad he was caught but feel really awful for the victims. i mean they were just trying to catch a movie and it ended so badly.

8. jafar custom title

This thing is so big, even Israeli news stations are covering this on TV. just thought i should share.

9. Mixt The dude that does the thing

First, you have to nullify a lot of the two million per case because it is mostly court costs and any crime of that scale will go through a similar process, regardless of outcome. Second, in old days a death sentence was very much the norm and was very quick and easy, we can just as easily return to that as go your route; this is not to say we should but it is that way because there has already been compromised in your direction. Third, life in jail is far more expensive to do because of the cost of living, particularly at the security levels that a capital punishment case would end up with.

And before you rage at me (since you obviously feel strongly about this) I'm mostly playing devils advocate. I'm fairly neutral on this topic leaning a bit towards the con side with you.

10. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

This still isn't going to stop me from seeing it.

I will risk my life to see DKR.

11. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Not that you'd be at any risk to begin with. There was only one psychopath at one movie theater.

12. nasirrich King's Apprentice

Not gonna rage at you its just someone felt they could run off with the mouth so I'm here to stop that. I mean how dare you decide a sick man way of killing someone is immature huh? Well I mean if memory serves correct executions were held at Colosseum and showed to the public like it was nothing. So why not tell those people that form of killing is very immature and that's why immature people don't get to make up laws about what is justice. Such a smart ass man I hate people like that. You swear you know everything when you forget that brutal and just plan manslaughter like actions to kill someone took place in HUMAN SOCIETY. Humane way of killing someone yea just that alone shows how much of an idiot you are. So sad how our justice system is filled with people with the same morals that Hayabusa ​shares.

13. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Try to keep personal attacks to a minimum. You can disagree without the other person being an idiot.

14. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

First of all, killing is factually inhumane. Flipping out and calling someone an idiot in no way helps your point, though.

And yet that's not what this thread is about. It might not, in reality, be a one-time things, but people were still shot, and I gladly give my condolences and don't want in any way to make light of this.

15. nasirrich King's Apprentice

Alright you got it I'll tone it down because people aren't able to take some criticism. I mean this is the internet so its bound to happen. No with all honesty I got it for what I said is very ride and childish for calling someone an idiot. So I'll just say sorry Hayabusa for calling you an idiot and a smart ass. All of which was very uncalled for, and I'm not being sarcastic which I should be, but people assume so much it gets very annoying. I am saying sorry for stepping out of line like that I'll man up to admit that.

16. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

And we're going off topic again, but this isn't an apology. It's still rude, by its very nature. You insult them both again in your apology. Your point was right, but the way you came across was immature and this, "I'm still mad" apology is too. I admire your dedication for what you believe in, but a good point can't be made like that.

And it's not criticism, not really- it's just saying someone's an idiot. Defending their intelligence is different from not handling criticism if none was involved.

17. nasirrich King's Apprentice

Ok Britishism to point out I'm only insulting Hayabusa good sir. I mean if you really were deep into what I put you would have easily seen that. Well as you say "being rude" I really didn't mean for it to come off like that, and I'd really like it if you would not talk to me like I'm someone below someone capable to understand what is right and wrong. I'm taking it that way even if that's not how you are trying to come across just saying I'd really appreciate if you would just avoid talking in that manner to me. I will say this again I mean no disrespect to you and Hayabusa I am very sorry for taking it to the next level with this debate. I hope you will understand what I am saying and not have someone else alter my meaning of good intentions.

18. Itachilives Gummi Ship Junkie

... Moving back on topic they are still trying to get into the guy's house. Lots of tripwires and explosives.

19. burnitup Still the Best 1973

I'm confused as to how this guy didn't alert anybody. He bought guns, ammo, and the stuff to make explosives.

20. Hayabusa Venomous

Sorry, but one more off-topic post. I was actually gone nearly all day, so I missed most of these discussions.

I'm not even going to try to say I know how to assess which is which: I'm not a professional in the field of discerning whether or not someone should be executed or not. Perhaps I was also too quick to condemn the guy, but I personally think there are things worth capital punishment. I don't want to discuss that further though, not here at least.

First of all, I was going to say what Britishism has already said: your personal attacks against me were immature and unnecessary, but you've already been told that and have redeemed your ways. Thank you for the apology.

Next, I know you gave some facts about lethal injection, but...I didn't once mention that method. In fact, I'm against that one in particular. I know how expensive it can be, and that people can still feel pain using that one. I guess I could have specified, but first, and foremost:

I only believe in capital punishment as an absolute last resort, and I will not go on with explaining that, because I don't want to make this post too long about something that probably shouldn't have been brought up in the first place. But, it is seriously not an objective subject to discuss, so we're never going to reach an absolute answer on if its right or not. I only meant to say, if you're going to kill a person (hold off on saying "THAT'S WRONG IN ANY FORM!", that's not the point of what I'm currently trying to talk about), there are cruel forms and then there are less painful forms, undoubtedly.

Alright, that's all I wanted to say about that.

Back on topic, I believe I read that the baby injured actually survived? And apparently, the killer planned to do what he did for months.