Shinigami.

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Jayn, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Jayn

This isn't really MY problem...I'm just a little concerned, I guess. A friend of mine (I won't mention her name) thinks she has a shinigami. Like...Seriously.

She's not that into Death Note, but she WAS obsessed with an anime called Full Moon o Sagashite in which a girl had two shinigami (God's of death...She thinks of them more as guardian angels) protecting her and stuff.

Anyways, she called me crying her eyes out and screaming on the phone talking about how she finally met her 'shinigami'. She explained things to me and after a while she didn't sound so scared anymore. She got really exicted. And I'm sitting on the phone basically speechless waiting for a 'just kidding'.

I'm not really sure what she's talking about...She seems really sure, but she COULD be one of those people who make things up like that for attention...Or she could have a serious problem...OR maybe she...does?
    I'm don't think I should really be getting involved with this or encouraging it because even if it seems fun now it could turn pretty...bad...She called me again a few nights ago, saying that her shinigami wanted to talk to me...She was on the phone talking as her 'shinigami'.

When I laugh or say something doubtful about it, she starts crying and screaming at me. She said she thought I'd believe her and I would be there for her but...I don't know what she wants me to say.
    If I play along, it'll get out of hand. I may actually start believing her. It's just a really weird situation. She has a few...problems of her own. Like dealing with abuse. She's attempted suicide. Her boyfriend died last year... So I'm wondering what I should do about this to help her...

Any suggestions? ​

2. Repliku Chaser

She may be using this 'shinigami' thing as a way to cope with problems she has had in the past because being alone and dealing with them is very hard for her. Some people do this with various things such as religion, a superhero, ghost, etc as a coping mechanism and it says pretty much that she's lonely and maybe scared. I'd say to not really entertain it too much as it is a phase she will one day grow out of but it's helping her keep stable. Perhaps try to get her out more to meet other people, tell her if you want to, that you are there if she wants someone to talk about what's eating at her, and well, maybe get her to go to some social functions etc. She needs to get her mind off the abuse she has taken and other traumas so that she becomes more a part of life. That would be the best suggestion I can give in this instance with what you describe. Children do this kind of thing with imaginary friends often because they are alone so that's kind of with what you describe, how I'd look at it but it and after a time of getting out and becoming more a part of things, just as children do, she may get over this.

3. Juicy Chaser

O_O

Dear gawd.
    Well.
    Im not sure where to start.
    There is no way that I could ever think Shinigami were real, so I'm gonna give you advice from my point of view.

I think she either has a serious mental disorder or she is simply doing this for attention. It sounds like she's had a rough time recently so I'd say the latter. Has she told anyone else about this apparent "Shinigami"? And also, clues like she shouts and screams at you if you say she is wrong also point to this being a plea for attention. Perhaps even a pleas for help.

I'm a bit confused about when you said "after a while she got excited". Thats kind of worrying, and makes me think she has some kind of pyschological issue going on. I mean.. I don't want to sound offensive, but you should try and get her to go see someone about this.

Or, you could sit her down to talk, preferably face to face, and actually get her to open up. Be gentle, ask her if this is all a plea for attention, and make sure you give her lots of love and care.

I don't really know how else to put all this.

If she's still defiant and insists its real, tell her to tell someone else. See if she backs down then - see how she will reply.

Sorry, I don't really know if my advice is suckish xD

Best of luck ~ <3

4. Styx That's me inside your head.

What is it with kids and death gods these days? No matter what she's been through, she's obviously pressuring you into getting involved deeper than you want to and there's no way you have to put up with that.
    I say she should seek professional help if she's really having it that bad (and by professional help I don't mean Ghost Busters).

5. Jayn

I think I'll try this. She's so caught up in everything that's happening to her that she doesn't pay much attention to anything else. She pretty much obsesses over her problems...I think she needs to be around more positive people. ​

She hasn't told anyone else about 'him'. She says I'm the only one she can trust about it. Thinking about it now, the traits that she says the "Shinigami" has are almost identical to her boyfriend's...​

She...Just got excited. At first she was crying and talking really soft and then she started to giggle and say things like "This is so cool! I can't believe I actually have a god of death!!!" It was strange...

I'll try that but I'm not sure it'll work...I've tried talking to her before and as soon as the conversation gets personal, she gets all peppy and changes the subject. Or she just stands up and walks away, avoiding me for a few days.
    I'll also ask her about telling someone else, noting her reaction.​

I really think that...She just needs a friend. I don't want to encourage her but I'm not sure how to convince her to see a professional. ​

6. Scott Pilgrim Banned

Ummmm. I need one crucial element to know how to help. How old is your friend?

7. Fayt-Harkwind Where yo curly mustache at?

heres some tips that I have used when people I know have done stuff similar to your friend:
    1. ask if shes bumped or hurt her head recently
    2. be around when the shinigami stuff happens
    3. do a Ouigi board type thing (not recommended)
    4. hire a priest (if she gets possesed or worse)
    5. hope it passes over in a few weeks

these may not work but these are a few things I do when people I know come up with things like shinigami or other tales of the unknown

8. Scott Pilgrim Banned

I, personally, think she's trying to get you attention. I really think that this is a stupid and harmless prank. Plus, your friends Shinigami probably would've killed you by now if they had 2 Death Notes.

9. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Really, you should probably tell her (both as a friend and as someone who cares) that she should stop messing around. I mean thinking shinigami are cool tot he point of obsession is one thing, but believing there actually is such a thing?

Sounds like an attempt to get some attention, if you ask me. Try and seriously talk to her about it (in person) and get some answers. As Repliku said, it might just be a method for her to cope with problems. The other unlikely possibility is that she's doing this because she feels the need to know you're truly there for her (no matter what the circumstances). Part of the reason you should do this in person, is that if you do it over the phone you have no way of seeing her. If you're there, she will have a much harder time expressing the feelings and acting this way, since it's a physical event, not over a phone. Call it psychology if you will. lol

10. Shark Merlin's Housekeeper

Get an adult to help. Someone you know and trust.

11. Emika Merlin's Housekeeper

Oh...wow o.o
    Maybe she started thinking of Shinigamis are real....cuz it was her way of escaping the reality of pain
    I suggest you....talk to her parents or if it doesn't work try to talk to a doctor about it.....I'm sorry I'm not really good with this stuff.......

............maybe have a friendly talk as well? and kindly explain to her that she shouldn't be brought down by the past.....because others wouldn't want that for her

12. Jayn

She's sixteen.​

1. Nope.
    2. I'll try...
    3. EH...Not gonna mess with that. xD
    4. I was thinking about it, actually...
    5. I don't think so but I really hope I'm wrong. ​

That actually makes a lot of sense...o_o; Never crossed my mind...​

Yeah...I'd talk to her parents if they weren't the ones abusing her. And a doctor? Would that be expensive v.v?​

13. Styx That's me inside your head.

If you're keen on throwing away money, you should do just that.
    Or you could just as well give it to me, which I would appreciate.
    Hiring a priest is only good for a placebo effect, and I highly doubt that's gonna cut it here.

Wait a minute here. You'd be willing to pay a priest but not a doctor?
    This is getting out of hand.

14. Jayn

The first thing I'm focusing on here is getting her to just tell me herself that she needs help. Or at least getting her to talk.

My dad's actually a minister. It'd be free. If I was going to do anything spirtual/religious, I'd ask him first.

It's not even to that point yet.

15. Scott Pilgrim Banned