Television Sherlock's Death (The BBC Series)

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Leblonk, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Leblonk Destiny Islands Resident

Right! Well, I know there is already a thread on the TV series Sherlock, but I want to discuss his death. Now, for those that haven't seen the last episode of Sherlock, I recomend that you leave now, and don't come back until you have seen The Final Problem.

Now! I want theories! How did Sherlock survive? I have no theory as yet, I'm goin to re-watch the Sherlock series soon and look very carefully for any clues I can find. We can all puzzle, and theorize together! One thing before you start though! My Dad emailed me this a couple weeks ago.

So! Lets all rewatch, rethink, and reconcoct our theories, and see who's right! Ready? Set? GOOOOOOO!

2. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Well it seems quite clear that he asked Molly for help in some shape or form before. How she helped I'm not sure. She'd have plenty of bodies handy if they dressed one of them up as Sherlock or she'd be the one he'd be sent to for his autopsy when they thought he was dead.

On top of this, Sherlock told Watson to stand in a particular spot. Was this so he had a certain veiw of the fall and couldn't see something happening discretely? Or was this just so that later the cyclist could knock him out better before he could reach the body. Then there's that, the cyclist, Watson was disorientated so he couldn't take Sherlock's pulse properly or see any fine details that may show it wasn't actually Sherlock. Maybe it wasn't just a knock on the head, maybe he used some of that mind bending gas from the previous episode to make him irrational. That could be another reason why he told him to stand in that spot.

You might want to consider that girl screaming at the sight of Sherlock, Moriary must of had a lifelike mask of Sherlock to be able to get that reaction. Maybe that what was used either on Moriarty or a corpse.

There was also that handy placed rubbish truck. Perhaps Sherlock actually fell into that then postitioned a disguised corpse that was already there on the pavement.

But I'm just stabbing in the dark here, I need to find somewhere where I can rewatch it.

3. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I definitely need to rewatch it but my first thought was of the kidnapper who supposedly looked like Sherlock jumped instead. However, upon further thought of this I'm not sure it would work because you clearly see it's Sherlock talking on the phone standing on the edge of the building who can see Watson (of course it is possible that he was actually on a different building and the kidnapper was on the building next to Watson). I also don't remember if anything happened to the kidnapper, whether he got caught or not.

I need to rewatch it to come up with something more clear cut. I also don't understand why Sherlock actually said that he wasn't actually that clever and he was part of the cases... but I think I need to ponder that a bit more.

Also, I don't think Moriarty is dead either, he was probably faking in some way (had a store of his blood somewhere that exploded upon impact with the ground) or something.

4. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Ooh, that different buildings thing could really work, especcially when he told him not to move. Though as to who was actually on the roof, I'm not sure. I'm unsure about the kidnapper thing, I thought Moriarty was the kidnapper.

I think Moriarty is actually dead though. But maybe you're right about him faking it, perhaps he didn't die then but died later when he was the actual one who fell off the roof. Either way, I don't think Moriary has survived. He actually died in the falls in the books and I think they'll stay true to that.

5. Leblonk Destiny Islands Resident

I agree with you. Moriarty is gone.

[QUOTEOn top of this, Sherlock told Watson to stand in a particular spot. Was this so he had a certain veiw of the fall and couldn't see something happening discretely? Or was this just so that later the cyclist could knock him out better before he could reach the body. Then there's that, the cyclist, Watson was disorientated so he couldn't take Sherlock's pulse properly or see any fine details that may show it wasn't actually Sherlock. Maybe it wasn't just a knock on the head, maybe he used some of that mind bending gas from the previous episode to make him irrational. That could be another reason why he told him to stand in that spot.][/QUOTE]

Gas is a possibility, but I don't think the cyclist was one of Sherlock's ideas. A fall like that (Watson's I mean) could very easily have been fatal, and I don't think he would have risked to his best (and only) friend.

My Dad actually bought both seasons this winter, so I have them and can watch them at my leasure, but I want to wait until my family is ready to watch them again so we can theorize together.

I do think that Molly might have been able to help with a corpse, and with falsly identifying the body (Irene Adler did that in the first episode of season 2)

You raise an exellent point there. That might be the "Extremely out of character" action that Moffat was refering to! But how does that relate to his death? We've gota figure out what this strange out of character action was!