Sexuality

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Amaury, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Patman Bof

What I meant is that the "if you' re not with me you' re against me" mentality is a load of ****. As long as you' re not against me you' re fine in my book.

2. mindy lover Destiny Islands Resident

Yeah, not against u at all.

And yeah, that mentality is pretty horrible.

3. Sokhu Merlin's Housekeeper

Haa I love reading those kind of messages. Love is love whoever you choose. Thank you that makes me smile =)

I am one of those who hate putting tags on people like '' Gay '' ect... But it is a word to help people to know what you actually are. Or who you love.
    I am kinda Bisexual. Used to have loads of girlfriends before but since High-school, apart from two girls I have many many boyfriends. I might say that men are 90% in my '' I want '' list. But I can be attracted to some girls at few remaining percent [ There was, there is, and will probably be ]. Sometimes I can look at a pretty cute girl in the street just because she looks really beautiful and cute O_o but 100% of my time I look at men xD It's just impulsive.

I don't understand religions when they say Homosexuality is a sin, I mean... sometimes I want them to realise that if all of the Bible actually happened, then who do they think we have been born from... Noah, his wife and children were the only survivors of the flood... So is incest not a sin ? That's allowed ? [ I am half cynic but I would love a real answer xD ].

Anyway because of who I love, I am open to any kind of person, if they're attracted to women, men, trans', old young, It doesn't matter, we're all fabulous and we have a lot in common, or not and so have to share stories with each other.

4. Patman Bof

Not all christians take the old testament literally. The bible is the big book of cherry-picking. The bible was also pro-slavery and pro-abortion, christians aren' t unanimous on those moral stances either. In my own experience (I' ve been raised catholic) few christians have actually bothered reading the bible. Most never will. When I was in catechism we just read a few select bible passages and focused on the lovey dovey touchey aspect of it. What they told me the bible and Jesus were all about and what the bible actually says are two separate things. Not to mention neither are all that coherent, I had a knack for asking questions that stumped my teachers. Basically we were encouraged to see god as whatever helped us sleep at night.

I heard something recently about scientists scanning people' s brains and seeing which part would light up when people spoke about themselves or about someone else. Apparently the part of the brain people use when they speak about god is the part they use when they speak about themselves. I haven' t bothered checking how serious that study was but I wouldn' t be surprised if it was true, that would explain the over-touchiness on the subject.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  5. mindy lover Destiny Islands Resident

I also agree that love is love, but about the religion thing, for Christians, yeah, well the Bible was based on the customs and beliefs of the times, and some ppl take that too literally. I personally don't believe there's anything wrong with being into someone of the same gender, but that's just me. As a follower of Christ, not a Christian, I do believe ppl should love who they want. God would rather have a loyal gay son than a half-hearted, hateful, hypocritical "Christian" son.

6. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

[Wild RELIGIOUS PERSON appeared!]
    Y'know, it goes further back than that. If Adam and Eve were initially the only two humans on the planet, Noah and his family—and then the rest of us—descended from their children getting with each other. :P The population had to get started somehow, I guess, and that's my best response for that. Doesn't mean incest is okay, though. XD

I'm a Latter-day Saint (aka a Mormon [yes, we're Christians; our church's full title is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints]). We believe that before we were born, we lived as spirits in heaven with God, who is the literal Father of our spirits. Our purpose on Earth is to gain physical bodies like His (we believe that God and Christ have perfected physical bodies and are separate beings), to learn and grow, and to prove our faith so that we may one day return to heaven to live with Him again in happiness for eternity. Now, going with the whole "gaining physical bodies" part, we are commanded to multiply and replenish the Earth, as were Adam and Eve, and we are only to do that within the bounds of marriage, which has been defined by God as between a man and a woman, so families are a big deal. But then there are people with non-cis- or hetero-normative identities. They have a lot harder of a time with the whole marriage thing. But if it's God's plan for every one of His children to have a family and to return to Him, and if God is a just and a loving God, it doesn't make sense that He would create children with such a crippling disadvantage to prevent them from attaining eternal happiness. Therefore, since non-cishet people exist, it must follow that they will not be eternally non-cishet; in other words, non-cishet...-ness...only exists in mortality on Earth.

Does that make sense? I feel like I might have left some things out, so if you have questions, please ask. c:

What needs to be understood is that a lot of the Old Testament's laws and commandments are part of what's called the Mosaic Law—or, the law as given through Moses. However, part of Christ's purpose in coming to Earth was to fulfill the Mosaic law. A big part of the Mosaic Law was offering ritual sacrifice: You would take the smallest unblemished lamb from your herd of sheep and bring it to the temple to be offered as a sacrifice as a sort of penance for sin, as a symbol of how Christ, the Lamb of God, would eventually be killed to save all mankind from death and sin. But when Christ came and actually did that, there was no more need for the sacrifice to continue. Some of the Mosaic Law, like the Ten Commandments, remained part of Christ's law, but were expounded upon; e.g., "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart" (Matthew 5:27-28, KJV). Other things from the Old Testament, such as only taking a certain number of steps on the Sabbath, stoning, only wearing certain types of clothes, slavery, etc., were more cultural laws than religious ones.

Yes, most passages from the Bible condemning homosexuality do come from the Mosaic Law, which has been fulfilled. But after Christ's ministry and ascension to heaven, Paul also preached by inspiration that homosexual behavior was sinful. In the Latter-day Saint church (which we believe to be a divinely appointed restoration of Christ's original church, as the Priesthood authority and many teachings were lost or corrupted after the deaths of the twelve apostles), our leaders, who we believe to be prophets in the same vein as Moses, Abraham, Elijah, and others, have also preached against homosexual behavior. See my response to Sokhu's post for more on that.

Again, like I said with Sokhu, please ask questions, so that I can better explain~

7. Patman Bof

Not to me, no. But nevermind that.
    What I was trying to point out is that you' d be hard pressed to find two christians (or religious people period) who happen to share the exact same set of beliefs. Your beliefs can inform your morality, true, but here' s the catch : your morality can inform your beliefs too.

For instance not so long ago you had a had time reconciling your own homosexuality with whatever the bible had to say about it. On the one hand you felt there was nothing wrong with being homosexual, and on the other hand your understanding of the bible seemed to condemn it. How do you solve cognitive dissonance ? Here are your options :

1. Change behavior/cognition
    (Ex: Stop being homosexual, good luck with that)

2. Justify behavior/cognition by changing the conflicting cognition
    (Ex: "I'm allowed to cheat every once in a while")

3. Justify behavior/cognition by adding new cognitions
    (Ex: "Since non-cishet people exist, it must follow that they will not be eternally non-cishet")

4. Ignore/Deny any information that conflicts with existing beliefs
    (Ex: "Some things from the Old Testament were more cultural laws than religious ones.")

The religious people who have an instinctive aversion for homosexuals do the exact same thing when they' re confronted with secular demonstrations that there' s nothing wrong with it, they just do it the other way around. Anyway, glad to see you stoped torturing yourself over it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  8. Sokhu Merlin's Housekeeper

Well for me it doesn't make sense. Why as Spirit, would we be sent on Earth to get a Physical Body if the purpose of that is to get detached from that body and come back as a Spirit to God, who himself sent us on Earth to get that body but wants us back as spirit ? [ Yeah I kinda lost myself by writing this xD ]
    And how people now that this is the real explanation ? Someone who was a spirit and then human and accomplished life to go back to God came back after as Human to explain that ?

Sorry it's not about Sexuality [ I won't do it again >__< ]

9. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Well, after we die, we are separated from our bodies, but it's only a temporary separation. At Christ's Second Coming, because of his sacrifice and overcoming of death, everyone who has lived and will live will be resurrected, their bodies becoming perfect. c:

Jesus Christ is the only one who's died and been resurrected into a perfect body so far, so the knowledge only comes from scripture and from prophets. Other than that, there aren't really any first-hand accounts. XD
    Ah, fair point about the different beliefs.

...I wouldn't say I've stopped torturing myself, not really. Some days are just better than others. :S

Sorry for derailing the topic so badly... XD

10. Sokhu Merlin's Housekeeper

I think all those rules are against being Human [ Wich is apparently what God turned us into ]. Why would he do that and forbid us to be gay or do this or that ?
    Rah la la anyway xD

Meeh if you don't feel well about being gay/bi/lesbians, you can talk to uncle Sokhu 8D
    You don't have to feel bad u__u But I know that people who interact with you might not be helpfull sometimes. Well just tell yourself that freaking loads of people are in the same case, but we're all brothers and sisters !
    [ I say that if the torturing was about your sexuality, if it was about religion, well my bad xD ]

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

I found a very interesting video that I think shows today's unfortunate issues with gay people, especially teens, very well. @libregkd said it'd be fine to post, provided I warned about a few things that some some people may find questionable, such as due to their beliefs:
    • In the beginning, there appears to be, at least from how I saw it, a very small suggestive thing, but it's hardly noticeable
    • One guy giving a very quick and light kiss to another guy
    • Teen male attempting to commit suicide by hanging himself

None of these are very graphic, if at all, and the video in general is p. The last one, for example, fades out immediately after he jumps off whatever he's standing on. However, again, for those who may find it questionable or may get emotional, I found it best to provide a warning.

For me personally, it was a little heartbreaking, especially near the end where he attempted to commit suicide. It brought me to tears a bit.

What are your thoughts?

12. Styx That's me inside your head.

Of course homosexuals deserve equal rights. Of course they should be allowed to marry (except in church, that would be silly) and of course they should have sex. Prohibiting any of these would mean sabotaging a kind of love that essentially isn't any different from heterosexual love. I don't want to sound presumptuous (just kidding, I totally do), but one of the main reasons Belgians like to think of much of the American population as uncivilized hicks (along with young Earth creationists, climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers) is that this is even an issue over there.

13. KHOmega Destiny Islands Resident

I've done many research papers and such of why homosexuality is natural and is not a disease.

In my opinion, people are taught to treat certain things a certain way. What I found is that if people are taught respect, then they will respect. If they are taught that certain things are bad, certain things are bad to them.

I have friends who have been bullied for being homosexual, and some who took their lives. It would be like saying that since I don't like the type of ice cream you eat, I am going to pester and harass you until you change what flavor of ice cream you like.

I don't care if some people just don't accept it, but if you impose your views on people and they start hurting others, then we are going to have a problem. Be careful of who you decide to exclude and/or hate, because it may just be a loved one.

14. Amaury Legendary Hero

That's what some of my friends have said. They don't like homosexuality, but they like homosexuals and are even friends with some of them.

I still don't really like it, but I generally accept that as it's not really homophobia, but something else.

15. Misty gimme kiss

That... is literally homophobia. That's like saying you don't like black people as a collective race but you have some black friends.

16. Amaury Legendary Hero

Yeah, I wasn't sure. It's actually complicated, too. Why would you like homosexuals as people, but not homosexuality?

Using your analogy, though, I'm curious: Could the same be said when it comes to stuff like Justin Bieber, or any celebrity who's gotten into trouble for that matter? Isn't it just as bad to say that it's not them as a person you don't like, but their personality and/or actions?

17. Patman Bof

I assume they meant hate the sin not the sinner.
    The same way I hate religions, but not necessarily religious people.

18. KHOmega Destiny Islands Resident

I can understand that logic. I don't identify myself with any religion, as I don't believe in such, but that doesn't mean I hate the people.

My aunt is very homophobic, but that doesn't mean I still love her very much so.

My look on it goes like this, as long as you don't shove your beliefs onto others and it doesn't hurt anyone, then by all means, go ahead and believe.

I may be wording it wrong, but that's the thing, sometimes we can't explain things.

19. Misty gimme kiss

I don't think the comparison stands to a trait like sexual or gender identity, though. It's one thing to dislike a religion for its values, beliefs, agendas, etc., but not necessarily dislike people belonging to that religion. With homosexuality, or any sexuality, there's no such agenda. All it describes is who you do (or don't) like to have sex with. Therefore, those who object to homosexuality can only really be objecting to same-sex relationships. There is no "Gay Agenda" to disagree with.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  20. Patman Bof

Oh don' t take me wrong, calling it a sin sounds completely ludicrous to me, I was just telling you were they probably come from.
    Personally as long as they won' t stand in the way of gays getting equal rights then I don' t care, they can call it a sin all they want.