Sexuality

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Amaury, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

All right, I've gotten permission to restart this to get a fresh start.

Anyway, I just wanted to see what everyone else here thought of homosexuality.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, as it's just not my taste. However, I don't mind other people's sexual likes, and I also don't look down on them like there's something wrong with them for liking the same gender.

Technically speaking, they're the same as heterosexuals, the only difference being that they like the same gender; therefore, I don't see why some people have problems with them.

Please keep all posts in a respectful manner.

Thank you.

2. Plums Wakanda Forever

I have quite a few gay/bisexual/lesbian friends. Back when I was like 12, I wasn't very accepting of it, actually. It was mainly because everyone else I was surrounded by (i.e. some family and kids at my elementary school) made it seem like have a different sexual preference from the "norm" was the worst thing you could do. But after going to school I attend now, and making my own opinions and realizations of the world around me, I found that I myself honestly had no problem with people's sexual preference, race, etc.

It's all just an illusion, really. What you need to focus on is the person themselves. People are going to look different and like different things. Just because they do doesn't mean you can't get along or be best friends 5eva.

3. The Graceful Assassin It's Just Like Christmas Morning

A lot of family members say "HOMOS R BAD1" and shit like that, but I don't really see it as much of a problem. I'm a Catholic, born and raised as one, but even so I don't see why everyone makes a fuss about it. If you are one, I wouldn't mind being friends. It only gets too far if they start "coming on to me" or whatever.

4. Kayate King's Apprentice

Meh. Sexual preference doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    It may be because my sister and step-brother are both homosexual, but I've grown up with my own logic, that love is love, and love is not to be tampered with.
    I have a few...Homophobic friends, and I absolutely despise it.
    My "friends" sometimes ridicule me because of my sister, whom recently left for training in the army, this last Tuesday.
    I told a friend of mine, and he jokingly goes, "Your...lesbian sister?" ( Keep note, I only have one sister. And he is aware of this )
    That really ticked me off.
    /venting randomly about own experiences.

But yeah. I myself am straight, but would never get in the way of someone else having their own love.
    Most people want love in their life. I want it with females. Some males want it with males. Some females want it with females. Sometimes they want it with both.
    Y'know?

5. Fishes Brigade Merlin's Housekeeper

As someone who is openly gay to all of the people who meet me, I've never ran into any problems with homophobia or anything (which is weird because I was raised in a very religious family).
    I think as a whole the younger generation is much more open and accepting compared to their predecessors.

All in all, totally for it. Let people love whoever they want.

6. Kayate King's Apprentice

I think the reason younger generations are getting more open and accepting is because it seems that religion is becoming less of a factor for them, although I could be wrong...

7. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm straight, but one of my closest friends is homosexual, and I have a few bisexual friends as well.

My family isn't religious in the slightest, but I still feel that even despite your religion, that it's the person that matters. Gender preference honestly is just that, gender preference. It doesn't change their personality.

8. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I identify as pansexual, but I feel as if my taste in men is... kind of a novelty. It's sort of hard to explain properly. Any rate, the way I see it, love is love. Love ought not to be a thing any prejudice, belief system, or institution can touch.

Anyone seen Milk? It's a beautiful '07 film about Harvey Milk (played by Sean Penn), the first openly gay person to be elected to a public office in Cali. Really paints a picture of the culture and community. It isn't afraid of the stereotypes but it shows you how much more there is beyond that. It's about real people who live and breathe and behave like anyone would, and happen to be gay. Very powerful, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to learn more about gay rights history and all that jazz (or just anyone who's up for a good movie). Kind of digressing a bit but I figured I'd mention it while it was on my mind.

9. Daydreamer

As a gay male, of course I wouldn't have a problem with homosexuality/bisexuality, and I don't know anyone personally that does have a problem with it. I just like guys and don't get what's so sexy about women. Just like how straight men would like women but not get men.

But even if people don't mean anything by it, I find it distressing when someone assumes you're straight. Like how people ask if I have a girlfriend yet. I also remember my older brother telling me how he was gonna take me to Hooters on my 18th birthday. I rolled my eyes when he said that. Anyways I came out to friends and family when I turned 17 much to everyone's surprise, and now they all leave me alone about it. That's just about sums up any conflict I've had in my life with my homosexuality. My family reacted much stronger when I told them I wanted to become a vegetarian and when they found out I was an atheist.

I have seen that movie, and that really is the key phrase, just happens to be gay. I found that movie a great representation of people in general.

10. AMRES Destiny Islands Resident

This and the statement has pretty much laid out what I had to say to this thread.

11. P Banned

In terms of sexuality, I find it incredibly difficult to pinpoint a natural tendency, as I only have my own point of view to work with, and there are factors in play other than personal preferences.

For example, there's social constructs. Being gay is far less preferable, socially, to being straight. That in itself is an extremely strong influence against being gay. A large part of how we think is purely formed due to society. For example, in Victorian times, ankles were considered extremely erotic, but nowadays they are nothing out of the ordinary. People's preferences are shaped by the culture around them. So in that sense, it can become difficult to differentiate between personal preference and one's pandering to society's beliefs.

Additional confusion is caused by how we only have our own perspectives. We cannot know the emotions of others. So we cannot properly distinguish our own emotions from societal constructions. For example, I can state that I find a guy aesthetically pleasing. Does that alone make me gay? After all, I have an aversion to sexual activity with him. There's still the possibility that such an aversion is nothing but a societal construction. To use an analogy, I find the idea of eating my family to be rather repulsive, however if I lived in a society in which such was the norm, I would have no problems with it.

Even so, whether it's just society's influence, or truly my preference, the result is that I am straight.

12. Hinako Merlin's Housekeeper

I don't really care what anyone's sexuality or identification is. You can be an asexual biromantic transgendered and I wouldn't really care.

Most because I myself am most likely a homosexual. I say most likely because well eh. I thought I was bisexual, but I find myself more attracted to women, romantically and sexually, while men I'm only attracted to them only romantically. I wouldn't exactly call myself a lesbian though.

Not only that but I'm also one that likes to embrace both masculinity and femininity, and I've even considered the possibility of me being gender fluid.

My parents are not supportive of me, as I've told them I was bisexual, and they did not like it all because they are very Catholic. I don't think your religion should influence you that much though. My Christian best friend fully accepts me no matter what.

I think people should really let everyone do whatever they want and be whoever they want. As long as you're not hurting anyone, why does it matter if someone is gay?

Anyways, I believe sexuality is very fluid either way and that in the end it doesn't matter, what matters is that you're happy and who you end up falling in love with.

13. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I've almost been a bit of everything in my short life, I think. Heterosexual, homo, bi, omni, asexual. To tell the truth it never really changed me much when I picked something to try. You don't change a great deal when you decide your sexual preference. The only thing that really changes is how people accept you, and the fear if they ever will.

I don't really and truly care about someone's sexuality unless they've peaked my interest or i'm going to sleep with them. Other than that, let people be who they choose to be.

And to be truthful, no one should object against something that they don't know enough about. Changing how I looked at people helped me find out that nothing sexual choice based is that scary, and people should be more understanding of people willing to take a different walk in life. We all have different paths to take so why should we reject those on a different path?

14. Sumi suicidé

Ohhh lard. This might be a long-ish post, so forgive me if so. :/

Personally, I prefer not to put a label on myself as sexuality is concerned. I am openly bisexual with a lovely girlfriend who identifies as pansexual and, well, we haven't even discussed sexuality ever. It's never been too much of a problem for either of her, as far as I know.

Part of this is definitely where you've been raised. Large cities and the north in general have histories of being more liberal and civil rights-concerned areas. My city is considered one of the top 20 places to live in the world for gay individuals. My mother (my legal guardian) is very liberal, and the same goes for my step parents and father. The environment they raised me in was very open and I have been able to choose for myself almost everything in my life.

Young experiences also are kind of a big deal. For example, it was my impression that being a lesbian was the worst possible thing you could do because of something I saw on Family Guy when I was little. I never explored the reasoning or anything. I knew someone said it was wrong and no one else had ever discussed it with me, so I grew up with it being a bad thing. Around seventh grade I met a girl who I started having "feelings" for and blahblah she was a lesbian so we hooked up.

But, one large issue that came from that was through her I met a bunch of people who thought that being heterosexual was disgusting and wrong (note: generally, they were atheistic, homosexual, and yaoi fangirls). The question then changed from, "Is homosexuality bad?" to, to quote a favourite song of mine, "Adam and Eve, Adam and Steve - which is wrong and which is wrong and which is right?"

Now, as a leader of my school's Gay-Straight-Alliance, and with more experience, the question once more rearranges into, "How do I make all people realise that this whole thing is trivial?" Because, really, it is. And, just as I like to call myself idgafsexual instead of bisexual, the first thing to do would be get rid of all the stereotypical names that we see plaguing the world.

to be added to later since i must go now

15. Patman Bof

The major difference between your parents and a friend is that your parents probably expected you to give them grandchildren someday. Also, as P said, Being gay is far less preferable, socially, to being straight, so yeah, most heterosexual caring parents would take a coming out as a blow, Christian or not.

16. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I am not at all against it, however it does make me feel a bit uncomfortable if I see public displays of it but that is just me, I would never go over to them and ask them to stop I'd just carry on and ignore it.

I have friends who are bisexual/gay and I have no problem with it as long as they are happy. I have fancied girls in the past and I know what it must be like to feel like an outsider in a heterosexual world so for that reason I make it my job to make homosexuals feel comfortable and not judged. I can understand why people don't like it as it's thought to be 'unnatural' but to be honest, in this day and age it is completely natural and a lot of people do it. If they have a problem with it then that's their choice but I don't have one, I want this to be a homosexual friendly world where you aren't judged by your sexual preference.

17. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I never really identified myself as asexual until a few months ago but there was never really an attraction to anyone, male or female. I thought something was seriously wrong with me because of the lack of attraction. But I chalked it up the extreme emotional issues I was having at the time that most people get girlfriends and boyfriends. Again, I thought something was wrong with me but I didn't think at the time to talk to anyone. Also, I think the fact I was going to a Catholic School at the time and pretty much just thought that at one point I had to get married to a man and have children. Like it was my duty on this planet or something and that just added to my fragile emotional state.

But then, a few months ago, I did some research on-line and something just clicked. I can say that a person is physically attractive, male or female, but it never goes beyond that in terms of 'I'd like to have sex with that person'. I just don't find the physical act of sex to be all that important or appealing. Masturbation is pretty much the same way.

My family and my social peers, aside from a few close friends, do not know. I'm terrified at the thought of what will happen when I tell them.

18. Terra254 Traverse Town Homebody

The dust bowl of the mid to late thirties
    I'm Christan,not a very hardcore Christan but still.
    That being said,i find NOTHING wrong with liking the same sex.If its there way of finding love,then let it be,
    Why take away their happiness?I have quite a few "Gay" friends,Although I myself would never explore homosexuality
    But I find nothing wrong with it.

>:L

19. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Homosexuality, what's that? As far as I am concerned it's like this. A person likes a person equals love. What is the difference, besides gender. I mean I would consider myself . . . I guess heterosexual, but if by chance I met a guy and somehow ended up falling in love with him I would probably go for it. (Wait so then that would mean I am bi . . . . whatever) Anyway, it's all love. And to anyone claiming it is a sin -_- don't have that argument with me . . . I believe in bad acts and what not but honestly calling homosexuality a sin is like calling Kingdom Hearts the worst game ever . . .

You get my point and where I stand, take it or leave it ^_^

20. Misty gimme kiss

Personally, I'm heterosexual. I do have weird fem!crushes sometimes (Natalie Portman yesplz) but it's really more of a "oh yes they are good looking" than "I would have sex with them."

That being said, I really don't care if people are homos, heteros, bi, pan, etc. I look at it like... hair color, sort of. It's something about you that should be acknowledged, and just because I, say, don't have blonde hair, doesn't mean other people can't, or that there's something wrong with them.