Scientists in Canada cure cancer, but no one gives a flying monkey fcuk

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Inasuma, May 14, 2011.

1. Inasuma "pumpkin"

2. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

This seems like a joke.

3. program Twilight Town Denizen

We just have too much pride to take the cure....Sad,huh?

4. P Banned

See comments. The article's four years old, and there are many arguments in the comments. Looks fake.

5. Spike H E R O

If there were any credibility to this, it would've picked up eventually. I have mixed feelings about it, myself. Stuff like this hits tabloids big time, yet this is the first I hear of it.

6. The Fuk? Dead

Looks fake, but if it isn't, then I can't be the only person who finds something seriously wrong with this.

7. Inasuma "pumpkin"

lol Well apparently the scientists still get lots of funding. -shrug- Other than that I know very little about the legitimacy of the article itself and the conclusions it makes.

8. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

What kind of cancer did they cure? There are so many forms of cancer that I doubt they could cure it completely. And from what I've read of the comments, it looks fake.

9. Patman Bof

The research center official site linked in that article was updated 05/12/2010 :

Edmonton, AB - Medical Researchers at the University of Alberta reported today evidence that the orphan generic drug Dichloroacetate (DCA) may hold promise as potential therapy for perhaps the deadliest of all human cancers: a form of brain cancer called glioblastoma. The report is published at the journal Science Translational Medicine, a journal of the American Association of the Advancement of Science; it appears today at the journal's web site http://www.sciencemag.org/

You can' t read the article without subscribing to the website though ...
    If any of you are interested enough to subscribe and read it I' ll spare you browsing through the site to search the right article, see here :
    http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/2/31/31ed1.full

10. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I live in Canada and have never heard about this. From the article that Patman posted, it looks like it was a great exaggeration of what was actually discovered. It goes from being a report about a new treatment for a specific type of cancer, to being a cure for cancer in general. :/

11. Daxa~ #stalker

If this was true,there would have been something about it on the news and stuff,right?
    And if its from 4 years ago,and people are still getting cancer....:/

12. What? 『 music is freedom 』

Indeed, if such was indeed the case it would be more so the factor of the discovery of a more specific cancerous disease than the entirety of cancer in itself - the media can be quite fickle at times. I suppose such an article is simply a case of semi-yellow journalism.

13. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Surprisingly, I have actually seen an article very similar to this around four years ago. I didn't know then or now if it was real or not, but I can only suggest that if a cure for cancer is discovered that I wouldn't doubt that major pharmacutical companies would attempt to cover this up, since I presume that around a 1/5 of their drugs revenue must come from cancer treatment, and though that may not sound much, but I believe that for one of the largest pharmacutical companies that must be around $4.2 billion or so. That would be a really big fall in their profit margins.

SO I would say that if it did occur, thier motivation to put a stop to it is pretty high. But who knows?

14. NemesisOmega Moogle Assistant

I, for one, am not surprised by such a thing... And it's a rather sad reflection on how things have gotten these days, to the point where some won't lift a finger to help someone else unless there's money to be had...

15. SirFred131 Merlin's Housekeeper

the thing is though, there would be a lot of money to be had for whoever had the cure, they could say it was something it wasn't, then patent it, then charge like crazy and make enough money to more than make up for the loss of cancer treatment money, while taking the money away from the competition.

16. Keyslinger Merlin's Housekeeper

I completely agree with this post. ;A; If there was really a cure to cancer, there wouldn't still be "find a cure for cancer, help by donating" billboards, commercials, and campaigns everywhere. Sorry dude. Can't believe everything you see.