School House Rock

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sara, May 18, 2013.

1. Sara Tea Drinker

Alright, time for the childhood days. And sorry if this is in the wrong section.

When I was growing up during Saturday cartoons, there was two minute segments that was called: Schoolhouse Rock. It was edutainment at it's finest. The videos were massively entertaining and funny, the music was catchy and easy to remember. I still remember some of the lyrics to some of the songs off the top of my head and the lyrics themselves were hilarious. I went to a recent concert of it being held in a local park and felt like a kid again singing along with the music.

Anyone else hear of these songs?

2. Saxima [screams geometrically]

School House Rock, talk about a blast from the past.

I don't remember when, but it was probably around first grade/second grade that I saw this. Apparently, my mom grew up with it and thought it would be good for me, so she bought me three VHS of it: Math Rock, Grammar Rock, and American Rock. I think American Rock was my favorite, and I used to watch them all the time because I liked the songs, even though I didn't really understand what they were saying.

They pretty much thrust me into the next to grades, and with no problem because they were so fun! Eventually, my old VCR broke and we boxed up the old VHS, and in the next couple of years, my mom found the special edition DVD that had the whole series in it.

It surprised me how much my high school teachers liked to use these videos, and it was always a little cool for me because I'd be the only one singing along because no one else knew the videos. I still like to watch them every now and again.

3. Sara Tea Drinker

Oh yeah, if no one has any idea what I'm talking about, look it up on youtube: Figure Eight, I'm Just a Bill, My Hero Zero and Three is a Magic Number is only a few. There's interjections, adjectives, conjunctions, I can spend all day listing them. They were a massive hit in the late 80's and early 90's. I still have their cd and pop it in when I get the chance. I just love the songs so much.

4. Fellangel Bichael May

OHHH BOY. NOSTALGIA ALERT

I so remember hearing School House Rock ALL the time in elementary school. One of the most memorable ones was the preamble. Our teacher wanted us to remember the preamble of the US Constitution so we listened to that song weeks. After 6 years, the song is still fresh in my head.

5. Sara Tea Drinker

I think the biggest ones for me were: Count to 100, Figure 8, Three is a Magic Number, and I'm a Bill.

They NEVER showed it in my school sadly, it would've been awesome if we did. Especially since I had to memorize the Preamble also the hard way because I forgot the song and it wasn't around at that time.

I remembered it mostly when it came to the park a few summers ago. I annoyed the hell out of my mom to bring me so we could watch it. Oh yeah, who can forget Interjections.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Oh wow, this brings back some memories. I still remember that cartoonish depiction of a democratic bill on capitol hill lol

Conjunction Junction was another good one. I was actually showed both during High School. Talk about awesome, I was overjoyed. A few of my classmates asked why I was so excited over a cartoon, they'd obviously not seen or didn't remember them.

The world needs more edutainment in this day and age. Add some better graphics and a killer story plot and you got yourself a top-selling franchise. You're welcome Hollywood.

No, but seriously though, these were very informative. I wouldn't have gotten my conjunctions correct if it hadn't been for these little shorts ^^