Say My Name

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by strfruit, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

My name is really easy to pronounce, Harry(What's difficult?), and so is my last name, but people still do mispronounce and misspell my name, it really bugs me, since I have a simple name. I will correct the person, but most of the time, the person doesn't play a significant role in my life, and so I don't really care. One thing that really bugged me is, in my primary school, we has a school "library" day every week, where we would go to the library every week. There was a person from a completely different class called Harriet, and our accounts got mixed together for some reason because of the "Similar" names, and I had an overdue book about unicorns. I never got annoyed at the teachers at school, but it really got under my skin.

2. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

My last name is commonly mispronounced, but I just politely correct them usually. I get more annoyed when my first name is mangled though, (I still don't understand how Starbucks got "Brienne" out of Maria), especially since my teacher for my first and second grade consistently called me the Finnish word for berry. After two years it got very, very annoying, even for meek little eight-year-old me.

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Nobody ever gets my name wrong. I sometimes have to clarify how it's spelled, but it has a few variations, so it's understandable. On the other hand, I am rather good at pronouncing people's names right on the first go; I've had a lot of people tell me I'm one of the few to get their full name right. On the first hand, I cannot remember anyone's names on the first go-round. I always have to ask. It makes me nervous, but I've yet to catch flak for it. I just have to emphasize that it's not that they're forgettable, it's that I'm forgetful. And of course, because of that I never get upset when someone forgets my name; it's probably the least memorable thing about me.

4. nasirrich King's Apprentice

I'll end you on the spot so watch your six
    Not a single teacher ever in my entire school history has pronounced my name correctly ever. Only a few teachers called me by my nickname because it sounded right when they did it. I allowed them too others teachers just kept trying to pronounce my name. My username on here is my actual name. My real first name and part of my last name.

Think of it like this...
    NOS in cars and Sears
    Na-See-her is how you pronounce my name. If you said it it should flow properly

So now try to think every single teacher you've ever had has never pronounced your name correctly and then talk.

I didn't really find a problem with it at all because at times the way they pronounced it I liked it a lot so just let it stick with me.

5. Fellangel Bichael May

Having a simple name, I may not fully understand this, but I can see why people can be annoyed by this fact. I know many people who I know for years and I still cannot pronounce their name. It's not really their fault. It's how their parents named them. Not to mention it could also be pronounced differently. For example, there were two people with the same name, Arei. One pronounced Ah-ree and the other Air-ee. Hence, that's why they go by their nicknames. I guess having a unique name sets you apart from others, but it gives others a difficult time to pronounce your name as well.

6. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

My name is pretty simple, "Katie" but it does annoy me when people call me "Kate" because that is not my name and, although I like the name, it's not MY name and so it just irks me. Katie isn't a particularly long name so it deosn't really need shortening o.0 but of course some people like to use 1 syllable xD

Also, my last name in continuously misspelled and it doesn't bother me because I have got used to it, it's a weird spelling so I expect people to misspell it really.

The thing with your class mate is we don't know what they're day has been like, it could have just been the thing to push him over the edge after a terrible day or he could have an angry disposition. They may have just overreacted because of some other reason that got displaced onto this issue, we don't know.

I suppose names are very important and I worry constantly about getting people's names wrong (I am a young leader at a brownie pack, I've been there for nearly 2 years and I still worry about getting their names wrong) unless of course they are good friends and I've used their names loads. It makes me feel really stupid and as if this person doesn't mean that much to me when they may do. I've had great conversations with people that I haven't known the names of and then when it gets too far into the conversation to ask their names xD That leads to awkward moment...

7. strfruit Gummi Ship Junkie

Yeah, I honestly don't think he was having a very good day. He sits next to me and is usually a really cheerful person. I guess that's why it was a bit surprising for me ^^ eh heh. That and it was pretty loud....made me jump ;A; haha
    He apologized later for his outburst.

8. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Well... My classmates usually spell my name wrong. Even if my name is Austin. Which is pretty easy to understand. I don't really care about people not spelling your name right.