Support Solved Saving on my HDD instead of SDD

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Iskandar, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iskandar King of Conquerors

So I realized that pretty much every single thing that I save is put on my SSD, which is only 120GB, but if I were to transfer all of my documents, music, videos, and everything from my laptop to this computer, wouldn't all of those files be dumped on the SSD instead of the HDD? And the same thing when I save documents out of pretty much anything, like OpenOffice Writer for school. When I save them, it's automatically put in the SSD.

Is there any way for me to make it that anything that's saved it put on the HDD instead of the SDD unless I want it to? Or is everything going to automatically save to the SSD since it's what I installed Windows 7 on? I just know it's going to fill really fast if everything is going on there, when I really only need it for my OS and any games I want on there, which right now is SWTOR

2. Karuta Reborn

Yeah, everything will try to go there by default if it's the drive you have Windows on, but it's pretty easy to change.

Firstly, go to your HDD that you want stuff on, and make all the folders you need. For example, if you want all of your pictures and documents to be on your HDD, make a Pictures and Documents folder.

Then, go to your libraries, right click on whatever folders you want to move, go to properties and then location. Here you can change the location to be on your HDD. If you do this with your downloads folder, everything you download will go to wherever you move it to.

Note that this won't move files, it will only change where files save to, so if you want to move all your document files from the old location to the new one, you'll have to do that manually.

3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Thanks. I figured it was something simple, but I wasn't sure how to do it. Though when I bring up the properties for download to change location, it doesn't look like it does with the others. Would I just change the "Target" in the Shortcut tab to E:\Downloads if that was the location of the file...which is it?

4. Karuta Reborn

Hmm, downloads works the same as the rest for me, but yeah give that a try I guess.

5. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I could take a screenshot and show you what pops up for the normal places and what popped up with the downloads if you want

Here's the normal thing that popped up
    [​IMG]

This came up when I clicked properties on downloads
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  6. Karuta Reborn

Neither of those come up for me. This is what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

7. Iskandar King of Conquerors

After messing around, I found those after right-clicking the libraries if I went to their location in the SSD under the Users file. I was right-clicking the locations on the side under Libraries, which still ended up changing them. Both ways worked either way.
    But now I'm noticing that I've got tabs on each of the libraries, and these are default things that came up, but even if I lower down to just one, it's still some sort of tab thing. like if I open documents it ends up like so
    [​IMG]
    Is there any possible way for me to hide the public documents tab showing from the C: disk?

8. Misty gimme kiss

If you go to the page in Windows explorer that lists all your Libraries, you can right-click each one, select Properties, and get to this screen:

Screenshot (167).png

You can remove folders you don't want to appear in your Libraries (the ones on your SSD) here. This is Windows 8 but I'm pretty sure it's the same for Windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.