Same-Sex Marriage Now Legal in All 50 States

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Amaury, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Time for a happy dance!

• Source: KIMA TV
    • Published: June 26, 2015

2. libregkd -

3. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I woke up to this news, and was really excited. While this doesn't effect me in any way, I know a lot of people who are. I've always felt that everyone should be seen as the same under the eyes of the law, and see this as a great victory for human rights. This pleases me as a moral person.

However, as a Christian, it saddens my heart to see how so many other Christian's choose to respond.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  4. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Kinda wanted to see who would've been the last state to holdout on legalizing gay marriage... but neverthless, a great turning point for America~

Also a bit surprised by the 5-4 ruling and it's still long way to go in terms of overall equality, but I'm very happy for my friends and family. c:

5. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Now I can be a pal with every gal in every state

But still, this is great news! If I ever have kids, they'll be unable to fathom that gay people were at one point not legally married in some states. It gives me hope, because if any of my kids were born gay, I would want them to be able to marry whoever they chose, and I would support them all the way.

Also side note: Fire Emblem Fates was confirmed to have same sex marriage like two days ago, I laugh because of his great the coincidence is.

6. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    You might still be able to see that contest go down, if the attorney generals and state court reactions are anything to go off of. Still, bout damn time America joined the civilized world, even if it had to be dragged kicking and screaming (just as it always does. And people wonder why I despise patriotism).

7. libregkd -

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  8. Amaury Legendary Hero

Oh, look!

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/ala...mate-marriage-equality-ruling-at-state-level/

9. Sara Tea Drinker

10. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    Of course, we need to remember that while the battle is won, the war is far from over. You can still be fired for being gay in about half of the country and only ONE state has protections for transgendered people.

11. libregkd -

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

13. Hiro ✩ Guardian

As gross as it is, that's just how it works. Honestly I think it's the stupidest thing ever, but holy crap it just needs to stop. I mean I'm pansexual and its legal to fire me for it in my state and that's one of the reasons I'm closeted irl.

14. Amaury Legendary Hero

And now the Texas government--or, rather, one of its attorneys, I guess, to be more specific--is refusing to provide marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Well, too bad! They are now required by law to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

15. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that they will. I think it was in Alabama, but one judge is refusing to give anyone at all a marriage license.

16. Amaury Legendary Hero

Just breaks my heart...

17. Patman Bof

It has been quite a passionate debate here as well. Hell, punches have been thrown in our senate. Once the law passed the state told the mayors who refused to comply that they had to find someone in the town hall who' d do it for them, otherwise they' d be fired. I have yet to hear of any mayor being fired on those grounds so far.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/29/arkansas-gay-marriage_n_7691172.html

I assume once those 25 days are gone they' ll be at the end of their rope.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  18. Amaury Legendary Hero

All the states where it was already legal plus all the states where it was just made legal, excluding Alabama, Texas, and Arkansas, all seem to be fine with it. Why do those three have a problem with it? They need to grow up and face the music that homosexuals and other non-heterosexuals deserve equal rights.

19. Sara Tea Drinker

The South has issues with a lot of things. Slavery, abortion, same sex marriages are around the top three. I wouldn't be lying to you that going to the South, (I'm surprised that Mississippi isn't there, they can be downright extreme with their beliefs and prejudices.) you're stepping back a hundred years. Wear anything but a skirt to your ankles and you have a priest on your doorstep to give you a lecture about inappropriate misconduct the next day. I kid you not, my mom lived there for a while. She actually did get the lecture, and she doesn't wear anything close to inappropriate for women to wear this day and age. Maybe she wore jeans or shorts.

They're deep in their beliefs of Church, God and Southern tradition. Try to remove any of that and it'll be an ugly fight, especially when it comes to disturbing their lives and their beliefs. They're throwing a fit because they see all three being changed with this law and don't want it to change from the 100 years of deep seated beliefs they have.

20. Laurence_Fox Chaser