No Thanks RP counted posts

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by chula-claire, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

No, but I didn't get in trouble for my half assed posts that were about half the required length. I've done two RPs there so I know what I'm talking about.

You keep bringing up general discussion but I'm not talking about it. I'm also not talking about the spamzone. Someone else brought up the spamzone and was yelled at saying "RP and spamzone arent the same OMFG" so if they aren't the same why bring it up? And how do you know this wont get whored and have people flocking to get more posts? It happens with everything else.

Those are things people can discuss. You don't discuss an RP, you play a game. Why should you be rewarded for that? Also, in the debate corner they discuss intelegent topics and important events. Sure they do it because they enjoy it but it's helpful to understand whats going on in the world. RP does not really strengthen the community. If it did, then why do we have so many people against this suggestion?

I was statting an opinion, does an opinion need hard facts? No. Many of the areas are enjoyable, but they are not a game why is it that you should be rewarded for playing a game? There is a difference between playing a game purely for fun and doing domething you have a passion for and also enjoy and that others enjoy. For example, graphic art takes work. Sure we enjoy it but it's still work. Then there are those who critique our work, some post one or two paragraphs about how we can better our selves. They don't critique our work purely for fun. They do it to help others out so they can better them selves and thier art. Now tell me, if you were to give a post to one and only one, the choice being a post that was done in a game for fun only or a post where someone took the time to write two paragraphs about the pros and cons of someone's art just to help that person get better, what would you choose?

2. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

between an erupting earth and an exploding sky
    ^ The posts above are well thought out and prove why posts should count here, yet they don't because there's other posts that aren't as thorough and we deal with it. I know it hasn't always been that way but we still do. We can stand it there too. There aren't even that many of those kind of RPG's. :/

-everyone accept this moment as orange's most matching post ever as it will never happen again-

3. P Banned

Can I please see these threads? I would be interested to see your definition of half arsed.

I am bringing up general discussion as an example of something that did not get flocked to because posts count. It is the same scenario. Orderly off-topic (General discussion) gets counting posts, but disorderly off-topic doesn't (Spamzone), yet orderly off-topic is not full of disorder like everyone seems to think it should have (I am applying your logic of 'everything spammable is spammed). I see no reason for RP not to follow the same rules, and work out the same.

You write a fanfic with more than one person involved. You ask other members for critique of your character playing skills. Seems like work to me.
    The reason there are so many people against it is because they seem to either think it is the same as the rest of RP area, or they believe it will be post whored.
    But anyhow, you have already stated that this definition is your opinion, and until you can get evidence behind it, it is not a reason to turn down the suggestion.

Your opinion needs hard facts when you attempt to use it to overturn a suggestion.

Your question? Is the game post a well thought out one like in the RP Extended, or a spamzone game where it is a single word like Banana?

4. Repliku Chaser

Well we've heard both sides of the coin. I do think Ghetto downplays the area a lot because the Extended RPG area is just as creative in every sense as the Creativity Zone material is. Also, no one there can spam since if they aren't role-playing there they can't post in the area or it would be deleted. It's actually more controlled in a way than the Creativity Corner is and they too are making a story.

However, Pika...I have to say that I do see also why it wouldn't be right to do. It's like saying the RPG there is more than other RPGs and well, it's not really. We don't -have- to play in Extended. We choose to and we choose to do the extra work because we want a quality RPG that tells a story and is like a novel. Do we really need a 'reward' to do what it is we want to do? Really, I do see the comparison you are drawing on but in the end there's no way to just say -one- RPG section merits points because it would cause problems and soon others from other RPG areas would be pressed to want the same thing.

We make the area what it is. We all do the work. It's our ingenuity and all but it is also for our imaginations and for something for us to do with each other. I don't really think it's right some people say it's 'just RPG' and does nothing for the site, because it does. However, I don't like really thinking that just because I asked some time ago along with others for an extended RPG section that it meant it should get special privileges other than what we talked over with CtR before which is the rules regarding the area. The whole reason the area was even allowed was because those of us who wanted more storyline RPGs that ran slower with longer plots was because they get lost amidst all the other RPGs where people post tons of times throughout the day. It saved on having to always look for them and also made it so that group of RPGs had some set rules to being allowed in that sub-section. So, originally we who wanted the sub-forum were not out to make posts count and didn't care in the least about that necessarily. We just wanted an actual area for it, just like others had anime sections, cross-overs etc. So, though I see in a sense where you are coming from, I have to disagree that we -need- a post count and that it merits one over the other RPGs. The purpose for the sub-section is what I just said and I think this distracts from it. There are plenty of other areas to get post count. We do this for our own entertainment and I don't think anyone requires awards to role-play. The quality role-play in the way we choose to have it, regardless of the section it is in, with good friends should be enough.

5. P Banned

My point is there is no way -one- story writing place deserves Post count and the other doesn't. If I can get a post for posting a chapter of my story, I should be able to get a post for posting another story.

You who created the forum did not set out with the sole aim of posts counting. You wanted a haven for those RP. Well I think that now they are in the open, those who post in them deserve the norm, which is to have posts count. It is not a reward so much as a convenience. If that area were to count, I could get my three-per-day aim from there, opposed to spamming in other areas that count now.

It is not required, but neither is anything. We could live without KH-vids. Why not press ahead for more, and try to add features to the site, and flesh it out? It could cause better RP, and we need more of them.

Even if my idea gets denied, I want an explanation of what qualifies a section for Postage.

6. Chevalier Crystal Princess

so to give you a temporary answer , the criteria used for choosing the areas where post would count.

is not really one thing...a lot of things are in the works, and some of them depend on the point of views of our staff members.

now , its all their saying on the moment the section is made.

but since RP are all treated equally, im not so sure.

anyways., youre saying that the RP is almost like a novel,yes?

then what would happen if you moved your RP to the creativity corner and say that its a story were a few people get to write as opossed to one writer.

of course we can say its a novel/RP., but it leans over to the RP side more.

so either the ERP are novels or RP's.

im not sure....but they are currently in the RP an as such will be treated like RP's.

7. Darkandroid Gets it Together

I can totally understand why you would ask this, with 10 lines mininum it is more words what most people say in other sections. Everyone saying it will be whored assumed we won't monitor it, if a mod or another member of staff keeps an eye on it, then the whoring can be averted.

8. P Banned

Good logic, but you have an axiom that may not hold up.

All RPs are most certainly not treated equally. If I spam one line posts in the Extended RP section, I will have them deleted. There are labour requirements to join in an RP like this, whilst I can join another RP in fantasy with less work.

But as for your argument, I can see what you are getting at, although I disagree. I would not post an RP in the Creativity corner, because it would be commented on. (Assuming it was good, and not crap. Big assumption.) This would disrupt the story pace. It would not help to have to trawl through a page of comments to find another writer's post.
    But let's say comments were prohibited.

So from your post, I gather if RP extended was to be placed in the Creativity Corner, with the title "Multi-man-Fanfiction!" (I've been playing Super smash bros) then it would be acceptable to be a post counting area? If that is what it takes, I suppose that can be suggested.

Your comments have been noted.

Finally, DA! I have someone on my side! This brings the grand total of supporters up to three! You, Chervailer (I think, at least) and I, Pika_power. I don't even want to start tallying the naysayers.

9. Chevalier Crystal Princess

well, one thing we have to point out , is the fact that since ERP are so few, and at the moment i think there's only one thats still alive(if im not mistaken)

so keeping the ERP area clean wouldnt be much of a problem.

10. Repliku Chaser

I'm not saying I'm totally against it. I'm just saying that it is not initially what the RPG Extended was meant for. The reason we asked for the section was so that we could keep track of RPGs where we post several lines once per day and write like novels instead of posting 10 times per day or more in the faster running RPGs that only post one or two lines. The RPG is just different and gets lost amidst the other types.

Having said that, I do see what you are getting at. I'm just not sure how to make it fair considering it is -still- an RPG and not just writing stories which get critiqued. We obviously don't want the RPG critiqued or we'd be bothered constantly with replies that don't matter to the RP itself and would be terribly disruptive. I also see the problem mentioned of what counts as posts and what does not. However, somewhere a line has to be drawn and Extended RPG is just another version of a RPG in most people's eyes. They run a lot slower with more required lines to write but it's still for our personal enjoyment and we don't want praise or ridicule posts etc. We just want to play and do our thing. That's basically where the line has to be at this time unless something changes.

11. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Role Playing is like acting although it is slightly harder because there's no script. you have to get inside the head of the person who is mostly made by someone else and show how they react in different situations. ever seen Whose Line is it Anyway, it's like that. You are given a scene and then you have to do it. No script no time to reherse. And the nature of extended means that you are building team skills as well so you are working with others towards a better direction of story. It's like being in an Orchestra, each player plays their own part, say the violin. Then they make a sound with the Strings, the Violin IIs the Violas, the 'Cellos and the Double basses. Sometimes they also go off with the flutes or Clarinets. And then all of those sections make a sound of the whole orchestra in unison with everyone watching the conductore all of the time for the speed and the expression. In this sense, the story is the conductor. That is why extended is harder. usually in a regualr rp there are maybe what 3 scenes going on at once but in the extended one that I'm in at the moment each character is important, each thread of story and each group of people is important to the progression towards the story as a whole.

By the way rules weren't made to be broken, rules were made so that we know we're breaking them.

12. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

If the staff allowed those posts to count members would be complaining that people that post there are getting unfair posts on their counter and they would ask the staff to allow all the parts of the RPG sub forum's posts to count and that wouldn't be right.I want to gain premium with relevent posts that actually mean something and not just meaningless posts.

13. P Banned

No, just RP extended. Why would we have to allow the rest? If you feel that people who posts ten lines + don't deserve a post count, but people who post one line comments on things in the creativity corner do, you have a strange perspective on effort. I will fight for the rest of the forums when the rest of the forums post developed posts beyond one line.

You talk about things meaning stuff, but I see nothing about what counts as meaning. If it is effort, I again point you towards the creativity corner, and its 80 pages of spam on some threads. If it is KH related, then I find it sad that we need to bribe people to write comments on kingdom hearts. If we are rewarding those who post stories in the Creativity corner, we should reward those who do the same thing, but in harmony with others. No one says "Oh, that Pianist is less skilled that that one, because that other one plays solo, but this one needs other people to play with." It is not logically sound.

14. Noise For Love and Justice

i agree i think that they should be let...because techinaly they DO post more than a

"lolz i love riku he iz my hero"

in a thread that has nothing to do with Riku

rock on Pika!

15. Xegreny Kingdom Keeper

Oh god no.

While serious RPers (Like myself, Cupcake, and many other people I could mention), would move over to the extended area and get their credit, so would all the.. lesser RPers.

Besides. Do you have any idea how hard it is to consistantly come up with 10 lines? -_-

In the beginning sure, you've got a lot to type, with your characters meeting for the first time, and their first challenges and blah blah blah.... fast forward to when your 100, 200, 300+ pages into the RP, can you really keep up typing 10 lines for EVERY post? That's why the Extended RP section is so little used compared to the regular one as it is now. Open it up for posts to count and that'd smash the purpose of that particular section as the non serious people come flooding in. D:

Not to mention all the fights this would cause. Suddenly people would be judged by the staff to see if their posts were "good enough" to be in the Extended Section. :X

EDIT: I just finished readin' the whole thread. You do NOT need a 'good' RP to be creative. Myself and several other members have been all posting in one RP for a long time now. Normally we post below 10 lines. We just have fun. That's what the RP section is for.

Jeez. This entire idea sounds more and more elitist every second. x_x

16. P Banned

Exactly. If it is so hard to come up with ten lines, then surely it shows you are deserving of a post count?

You post in one RP for a long time and just have fun. There is nothing wrong with that. I do that too. My point is that those who go the extra mile and do type out ten lines deserve to get a post count.

17. Repliku Chaser

That's exactly my point, Xegreny. To want more in -one- area of the RPG section and have posts counted there sounds elitist indeed. The section was made to find longer RPs with deep storylines easier because people don't post in them but once or twice a day and have less members. So in the end, they were getting lost with the other RPs that post faster. That is the only reason why we asked for the section in the first place and I don't think it merits a post count because it is -still- an RP. RPs are -better- to the people who use them. Certainly those who participate in certain RPs are going to feel they are better than other RPs they don't bother with, whatever type of RP it is.

So it comes down to your preference if you like the types of RPs offered or not. None are more superior from an outside point of view because they are all still RPs. The member decides what he/she likes more. There is NO fair way to say 'your RP type sucks so no points for you' while patting another group of RPGs on the back. It simply is not right. It is just not going to happen.

As for
    Ok...I apologize for the tiny rant here. First off, most posts like that I have gone through and personally deleted and threads that are spam get closed, deleted or moved. I'm sure quite a few people noticed that and threads that are open and commonly used get gone through daily. Also, I will point out to you that in the KH section, premiums and non-premiums alike have PM'd me to announce spam in a section, so obviously points aren't their greatest concern and they too would seemingly like the area to be clean of spam because they actually want to chat about the games etc. I think you are being too hard on members, Pika and really I am not seeing these threads and if they do exist anymore and I haven't gotten to them, why are you bringing them up and not PM'ing me or another Mod or Admin? Others do it. The section stays clean with effort from staff yes, but also some members care about the quality too. Otherwise staff wouldn't bother cleaning it up, would we? The whole forum would be a Spam Zone.

18. Xegreny Kingdom Keeper

Not particularly. It just proves that you can type more than other people. If I really wanted to, I could type out all my posts to make them 10 lines long. But I don't want to. Does that mean because even though I am capable, but choose not to do so and avoid the extended area that I should be undeserving of a post count?

When people are presented with an option to post in the normal section and get nothing, or post in the Extended section and get more posts added onto their total count, their obviously going to choose the Extended. They'd go in, and get their posts/threads deleted by Moderators/Administrators/Staff. This could probably bother them if they didn't know the rules. They might even feel singled out. (It's happened before. >_>)

Not only does this seem elitist, it'd cause Drama. Which, is bad. <_>

Besides. It's only a post count. Does it REALLY matter that much?

19. Xioayugoth Destiny Islands Resident

I should probably know this, but I need to ask anyway.

Why exactly do posts on RPs not count here...? I think the spam zone having no post count is clearly needed, but some of the RPs on here can scare me, they're so deep. Hence why I stay out of the deep ones.
    And, hey, if posts counted on RPs, I'd have a heck of a lot more posts right now.

20. Zeonark Kingdom Keeper

Meh, I say activate 'em there :P

They aren't counted because 1,000,000,000 Post are usually made there. Hence why if that happened, High chance EVERY member who RPs would be a Prem right now.

I wouldn't mind them counting there though.

[/First Explamation]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.