Support Solved Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus Won't Detect PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

What am I missing? The connection is AV cables like these, exactly the same as with my PS2, only difference being that I'm hooking up my PS3 to the Roxio capture card instead of my PS2, but the connection is the same, so there shouldn't be problems.

If I go to Video Output Settings on the PS3 and choose either composite or AV multi, the screen shows up on my computer, but discolored. However, if I back out, it just goes back to my TV. With the PS2 you just hook it up, and boom, you're done! But I'm obviously missing something with the PS3.

Help?

2. Mixt The dude that does the thing

So how do you have everything set up right now? Are you using some kind of splitter to get video to both your TV and to Roxio?

How bad is the discoloration when you do get video to Roxio? Can you upload a screenshot?

Off the bat I'm not sure what to tell you since it should work almost exactly the same as the PS2. The PS3 can get higher resolutions, but RCA doesn't support them so you would just be stuck with the same 480i.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Nope. No splitter.

This cable goes from the PlayStation 2/3:

Cable 1.jpg

And into the Roxio plugin:

Cable 2.jpg

And that then plugs into a USB port on the computer. Setup is the exact same with my PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3, only difference being that it doesn't seem to want to work with the PlayStation 3.

Roxio 1.png

I have the option to choose among HDMI, component / D-terminal, composite / S video, and AV multi / scart. I choose the last one since that's what the cable is, and then I have the options of choosing between Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr and RGB. Then it shows the screen shown in the screenshot above. Neither option works, though, and testing the display seems to do nothing. (Looking at my PlayStation 2's options, the Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr seems to be the one I want.) So it won't let me continue, and if I back out, it obviously cancels it and goes back to the television. I've even tried disconnecting the HDMI cable I have going from the PlayStation 3 to my television to no avail.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  4. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Ah, you actually want the "composite / S video" option. The AV multi that it's referring to has a connector like the one that plugs into the PS3 on both ends.

You could also try the quick and dirty method of getting the PS3 to auto-detect video settings. Turn off the PS3, unplug the HDMI, and hook up the Roxio device; then when turning the PS3 on continue holding down the power button until it beeps again. It should adjust the video settings accordingly, assuming it detects the Roxio device correctly.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

I love you, @Mixt.

So I'm almost there, but I have no sound. What do I choose there? (Obviously, not HDMI.)

See this video:

6. Mixt The dude that does the thing

IIRC audio is split into HDMI, optical, and everything else. You would want the last one.

Although there is a quick and dirty method here too since you aren't trying to do anything fancy like surround sound. Under sound settings there is an option called something like "audio multi out" (I don't have my system or a manual in front of me right now) that will give you sound on all outputs.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

You're the best, Mixt!

You mean on both my TV and computer? That didn't seem to do anything for me. So I don't suppose it's possible, then, to output both sound and video on more than one device? (Record on my computer, but play on TV.)

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Video can only be done on one output. But since audio is cheeper to process they allow that to have a multi out. The intent is for something like having audio to both a TV and dedicated speakers. But it can help to make sure audio is being sent out and narrow down where the problem is.

So get video to both Roxio and the TV, you would need a splitter.