rise against

Discussion in 'Music' started by Shinichi Izumi, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Hayabusa Venomous

To me, Appeal to Reason is like a safer, less experimental version of The Sufferer and The Witness. Still enjoy it, but none of the songs really feel that different from what they've done before. Favorites on it include Collapse (Post-Amerika), From Heads Unworthy, Hero of War, Savior, and Whereabouts Unknown.

Also, I still need to pick up The Black Market...

2. 61 No. B

Yeah, I can totally see that. Thinking about it more, I do still prefer Sufferer to Appeal, I think it's more solid and consistent as an album, but I think the standout songs on Appeal are as good as the best songs on Sufferer.

I have to say that coming around on Appeal has made me want to go back and listen to the older stuff I couldn't get into despite trying.

3. Hayabusa Venomous

To me, Siren Song of the Counter Culture is still their best album, in terms of songwriting and variety of theme and sounds. I don't own Revolutions Per Minute or The Unraveling, but I still do enjoy them. The Unraveling in particular is far more reminiscent of a full-on punk rock sound, which I dunno if you like or not. I'm personally more into...whatever you would call stuff from Revolutions Per Minute onward.

4. Misty gimme kiss

I reaaaally recommend listening to The Unraveling. For some reason it's probably their most unappreciated album but it has some of my favorite tracks. It is a bit more punk like Haya mentioned, with some of the hardcore they later got into for Revolutions (which I also love), but even if that's not your steez it's at least worth a listen. Make sure you listen to the remastered tracks.

My favorites from it, in track order since I'm just going through it, are:
    • My Life Inside Your Heart (very reminiscent of later Rise Against whereas other songs are more experimental with their sound; good place to start)
    • Great Awakening
    • Six Ways 'Til Sunday (bit of a mall punk sound here lol)
    • Reception Fades
    • Everchanging (would fit in well on Siren Song imo, so if you like Siren Song check this one out)
    • 1000 Good Intentions (excellent bass line)
    • Weight of Time
    • Faint Resemblance
    • Gethsemane (bit more Revolutions Per Minute here)
    Revolutions gets reaaaally same-y if you're not paying a lot of attention when you listen but it was my first Rise Against album so it holds a special place in my heart (Like the Angel especially).

5. T3F Chaser

Oh god, picking a favourite album I would choose Sufferer to be honest. Especially the songs Ready to Fall and The Good Left Undone, they would be my favourites
    Otherwise, they had an album of "forgotten songs". It's called Long Forgotten Songs: B-Sides and Covers. I highly recommend you guys check it out. There's heaps of cool stuff there :)

6. Hayabusa Venomous

Been meaning to pick that one up. Sight Unseen, Generation Lost, Everchanging (acoustic), and But Tonight We Dance are all super solid.

7. 61 No. B

I've listened to one or two songs from everything before Sufferer, and there's definitely something here that I didn't pick up before and I'm excited to listen to the albums in full. No, I don't really care for that hard punk (why I can't get into AFI's older stuff) but the songs I listened to on The Unraveling were fine so maybe I'll be okay with it. For some reason this whole time I've thought Siren was harder punk like their older stuff, but if the song I'm listening to now is any indication, that's not the case at all. I don't know what I was thinking the last time I listened.

8. Misty gimme kiss

Oh wow there's a lot on there that I haven't heard before. Definitely some good ones I'm familiar with though. Downloading.
    With a few exceptions, I'd honestly say that Siren Song is their most "pop" album. They're definitely not anywhere close pop punk, there are some of the harder on Siren, and Sufferer is probably their most accessible, but Siren definitely isn't their hardest album. I'd probably give that title to Revolutions... The Unraveling was experimenting a lot with different styles whereas I can understand why people just can't get into Revolutions.

9. Hayabusa Venomous

I dunno about calling Siren Song their "pop" album; for Pete's sake it includes State of the Union which I consider one of their heaviest songs. If any album feels their most "pop" to me, it'd be Appeal to Reason. Not calling any of the songs bad, but Audience of One and The Dirt Whispered are hella light.

Though of course none of this really matters :P

10. Misty gimme kiss

To be fair my Rise Against knowledge spans The Unraveling - Sufferer. I have vague & fleeting recollections of Appeal lol.

11. 61 No. B

"Pop punk" has never once entered my mind when thinking about Rise Against. In my mind they range anywhere from harder punk to alt rock.

12. Misty gimme kiss

Yeah I was worried people might think I was implying Siren Song was "pop punk" by calling it their most "pop" album ha. They definitely are not pop punk.

13. Hayabusa Venomous

If they were, I'd probably cease to listen to them. Thankfully this is not the case.

...though it'd be hard to be pop-punk with Timothy McIlrath's vocals...

14. Misty gimme kiss

Back on topic, I've downloaded Long Forgotten Songs.
    • Everchanging (Acoustic): Pretty sure this is from a Warped Tour Compilation that I hunted down once lol. Still good.
    • Little Boxes: Glad to have a version of this! I stopped liking Weeds once they stopped using Little Boxes as the theme & I was very happy Rise Against did one.
    • Obstructed View: I feel like there's another, better version of this song somewhere out there...
    • But Tonight We Dance: looooooove this one, I think I made an AMV to it back in like 2008 lol
    • The Ghost of Tom Joad: I DIDN'T KNOW THEY COVERED THISSSSSS

15. 61 No. B

I finally finished listening to their other albums. After giving them a second or third chance, I can say that I certainly overlooked a lot of great songs the first time around. I'll have to keep listening to have a fully-formed opinion but I'm glad I gave them another try. Though after one listen, none of the albums topped Sufferer or Appeal.

I think I'd rank them like this:
    Sufferer
    Appeal
    RPM/Siren Song
    The Unraveling
    Endgame

I didn't put The Black Market on the list because I honestly have no idea what I think about that one just yet. I wasn't severely underwhelmed like I was with Endgame, but I was certainly caught off guard because it's so different. I think? I don't know. Something about it is weird to me. And Long Forgotten Songs had a couple of really great songs and a lot I don't care about at all. I think I could come to like Siren Song almost as much as Sufferer if I keep listening to it. I just listened to Swing Life Away and then Rumors which are both wonderful.

I listened to Sufferer today and I'm always worried that it won't hold up as much as I'd like but it always does. Even after all this time I'm still loving it. Such a good album. Only song I don't care for on it is Prayer of the Refugee.