Revolution of Rivelle

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Glen, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosch Traverse Town Homebody

Seeing Kyle return in good time, Franco set off to leave.
    “Good, we'll be off then.” He left the room and strode quickly down the halls of the building to leave. He didn't look back, assuming that Kyle was actually following.
    “Your first task is to guard my back, and keep up with me,” he said over his shoulder. “By the way, I may have neglected to say this, but I arrived here without any other guards. They are... slow. Slower than me. I like to keep my thoughts to myself until the last second, so unfortunately my poor guardsmen end up being caught off guard, excuse the pun, whenever I leave to go somewhere, and are only just saddling their horses as the dust begins to settle from the hoofs of mine. I'm hoping that you, however, will be different.”
    He reached the front door, flinging it wide open and stepping outside. The guardsman who Franco had made to hold his horse's reigns was still standing them in his hand, still looking somewhat bewildered. Franco took the reigns from him, nodding in thanks and slipping another gold coin into his hand. Then he jumped up on the horse, pulling it's head around towards home.
    “Follow along,” he called out to Kyle, and then he nudged his mare into a brisk trot. He didn't say anything or look back at Kyle, merely assuming that the soldier was following. During his rides Franco tended to only barely focus on what was going on around him, and instead think over his plans, ideas, the regular requests from his father, Nyla... Well, things always ended up back at her. Damn, he missed talking to her.

The guardsman at the barracks doors, meanwhile, was still staring after the now receding figures. He had no idea who that nobleman was, why he was here, or even for sure if he was a nobleman. But he paid gold, so... The guard settled back into his position. No need to fuss over the details, he decided.

Before Franco knew it, he had arrived at home and he had to rouse himself from the memory of one of his many excursions with Nyla. His house was a large, imposing stone structure, boasting a fair sized courtyard in the front and a stables through an arch at the back. His guards and servants occupied the ground floor, the dining, lounge, and other common rooms were on the first floor, and up on the second floor was where Franco's private quarters were. A small tower added another layer to the building, and it was there in what was Franco's study that his closest secrets were whispered.
    Leading the way to the stables, Franco dragged it to a halt, and leaped off, throwing the reigns to a stable-hand that was obviously used to Franco's way of disposing of his horse.
    Taking a moment to examine the workers milling around the stable area, asking them how they were doing and how the work was going, he turned back to Kyle.

“So, what do you think?” Franco asked him, indicating his house. “It's a good size, enough space for all of my people here, but its real value is that it's easily defensible. That's good, strong stone. But you're a soldier, so perhaps you have your own opinion, eh?"

2. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

"Follow along." It was arguably the hardest order he'd ever had to follow. Kyle managed to keep up at first, while they walked on foot. However, when it came to getting on horseback, Kyle quickly discovered why his guards had trouble keeping up with him. By the time Kyle was climbing on to his horse, Lord Bertram had already sped off down the street. Emitting a sigh of despair, Kyle hauled himself up as quickly as possible and kicked his horse into action. He wasn't an experienced rider, so he held on for dear life while the adrenaline pumping through his blood provided him the bare minimum of reaction time he needed to keep up with Lord Bertram. Luckily, he had one thing over his new employer. He knew this area of the city far, far better. He was able to navigate through a few smaller streets to catch up, clutching the reins to hang on and kept himself low on the horse to try and avoid losing his balance. I see why his men have problems. However, his men aren't me! By the time Bertram had left the city Kyle wasn't far behind. By the time they had left the city behind, he began to enjoy the exhilaration of the breakneck ride he just had to endure, the wind whipping through his hair as he tried to keep up with the speeding Bertram. He left out a relieved sigh and enjoyed the ride, doing his best to ignore the jolting and bouncing and look at the land outside the city. A sight he was all to unfamiliar with.

"Wow." Kyle said as the Bertram estate drew closer. It's almost a castle, just missing a set of strong walls and he'd have a good fortress. It's not quite as big as other houses might be, but it's still huge. Look at the distant it covers! Kyle's horse skidded to a halt just in front of the stables and dismounted in an infinitely more sensible but far less stylish fashion favouring practicality over breaking his leg before day one even arrived. He stretched out, letting all the muscles relax and rubbed his sore back. As he got used to standing again, he watched Franco talking to his staff. There were a lot of them and he made a point to speak to every single one of them. Well that was unexpected from a noble too, although at this point I'm not surprised by him. He seems to defy expectations about the aristocracy. If only they were all like him. Franco then turned to address him, asking about the defensive capabilities of the house. Kyle put his hands on his hips and surveyed the building for what he considered defensive modifications. No crenellations for archers or crossbows, nor firing slots in the walls of the building itself. Nor are there a set of defensive walls. If he wants a fortified position, then that's what he needs. And walls make a statement- You actually have the money to get them built.
    "In my opinion my lord, the building has potential, but it's no castle. It lacks crenellations for archer units or crossbows to take cover behind, nor firing slots in the walls themselves to allow people to fire with minimal danger to themselves. That would increase the building itself's defensive capability. You don't have a defensive wall either, so an attack will be able to reach the building. The arch is a good design choice though. It's a choke point in a battle reducing the effect of enemy archers and crossbowmen as they'll find it harder to hit your men in that enclosed space. That, and combined with the fact that only so many can enter the archway renders numerical advantage minimal giving your men a more even fight. Cavalry is worse because they can't manoeuvre in that space. The only question is in that case, whose men are the better fighters?" Kyle answered, listing off all the things he could think of. "Based on that design choice however, the defensibility is far better than most and the house is solid."

[​IMG]

This, is hardly any better than it was earlier. The only interesting thing in here is the old man in a perfect spot for observation. It's an old man, but that doesn't mean that there's nothing to him. If I were doing my job as him, I'd take a similar position. That's why I have my spot now. The only difference is, mine is less noticeable so he made that first mistake. However, he's got a reasonable eye. I've seen him looking in my direction and trying not to be seen doing it. I'd almost say a professional. Almost. The question is, what's his agenda? That question, he formulated a plan to answer that very question. Got it. As the Barkeep did his sweep of the room for new guests, Elyas caught his eye and beckoned him over with a subtle gesture. The man approached.
    "What do you want?" He asked rather flatly. Elyas looked at him. Typical. Podgy, thuggish face with no neck. He's easy to play. He took a coin out of his pocket and waved it at him. This immediately caught the man's attention.
    "Information my friend, and a drink would you be so kind." Elyas answered. The man grinned, showing his misshapen and slightly rotted teeth. Also, typical. He dropped his voice so that the conversation could only be heard by the barkeep, while keeping the old man in his peripheral vision.
    "What kind?"
    "I'm looking for a man. Blond hair, spiky. Perhaps something down the right side of his face. He might even call himself Vex."
    "What's you looking for with a man like him?"
    "He and I have business. It would be unpleasant if someone were to interfere with that business. He'd be very disappointed if his contact never showed up." Elyas answered casually. "I heard he passed through here. Any idea where he went?" The bartender considered the question a moment. Come on, come on, you know I've got money and that I'll pay.
    "Corvus they reckon. Say, you got business with that revolution?" Elyas smiled slyly. I think I can use this. He can talk to the town a little. Let's see if we can start a couple of things.
    "In a manner of speaking. Things are picking up the pace. I've got information he needs." He explained. He slid over a coin to the bartender and stood up. That will start rumours. They'll think that something important is happening. More malcontents will start throwing their lot in, some of them might even make their way to me and in such a way, I'll be able to uproot a lot of this realm's hidden degenerates. One of the advantages of faking a relation, although I intend to make it less fake. He and I will have business... For a time. "Good day to you sir." Elyas looked back at the old man as he left the tavern, then shut the door behind him. Avoiding the windows so people couldn't see where he was going, Elyas ducked into the alleyway at the side of the inn. Let's establish who you are exactly my friend...

3. GarrettFinch Hollow Bastion Committee

Flint's pov:

Flint Mrtlin (old).png

Nothing good was happening. The man he been watching had left. It was fast to fast. the door went out, nope.
    Flint came to this inn for the last week gathering info perhaps he should go somewhere new. He been going here for weeks so he knew the area are like the back of his hand perhaps Eric would have a better chance getting info.
    He got up and went out a different door then the one Elyas went out of. Cant get me that easy he thought.
    he walked a good distance away get the sense that he was being followed.
    He turned around and to men with knives out was behind him. They had followed him from the inn.
    He was corned.
    "give us your money old man" The one on the left said. These men hand no idea who they were messing with. His back was to the wall.
    "looks like you got me. you would not harm a old man would you?"
    The two men steeped closer.
    "
    This is going to be easy. The one on the left said.
    "How much you think he has on him?" The one on the right said.
    "must have lodes. he is old after all."
    Flint just stood there waiting for them to attack...

~~~
    inn:
    moments before:

four people watched as Flint left
    "money"

two followed him out the door he went out of
    the other two went out the door Elyas went out
    "The old man went this way."

Do you think the four of us can get his money?"
    He is old how hard can it be?" they were both talking as they walked past Elyas.
    "he went that way." And they headed around the inn in the direction Flint had gone.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

"Hmm, now isn't that just fascinating?" Elyas asked himself as the soon to be muggers walked past him in the alleyway, completely unaware of his presence. He could kill the pair of them now and they would hardly know any different, but he had something else in mind. Let's see how you handle this old man. Maybe they've got other things on their minds. Or maybe, they find something on you that's interesting and then I'll take that. Might even give me an idea of who you are exactly. Elyas followed them silently, not making a sound and covered by the darkness of the alley. They rounded the corner and he heard them start talking. Four of them. He approached the corner and hugged the wall watching out the corner of his eye, staying nicely out of sight but still able to see the events playing out in front of him. You my friend, could be very, very interesting indeed. You went out a different door to me. The door I took was the front door to the street, clearly the safer way. He is far from ordinary. This was either badly planned or there's something I haven't accounted for yet. Well let's watch this play out. I'll confront the last man standing. Maybe I can even catch him by surprise, that would be optimal. He looked around for potential intervention. Support from other alleyways? Maybe. Hidden combat capabilities? Maybe. We'll see. Come on then, show me your hand. This is taking far, far too long for my liking.

5. GarrettFinch Hollow Bastion Committee

Flint's pov:

Flint Mrtlin (old).png

There were now four well this is not looking well. He seemed happy about it
    "oh good the police." he said with a smile.
    All four tuned and he took his cane and smacked the nearest man in the kneecap. He fell with a thud.
    This was a everyday thing after a while people would leave him alone.
    The other three tuned in surprise and there fallen friend.

" I suggest you get going before I do something with you three and trust me it will not be as friendly as what your friend got."
    Then three man stood there and thought about there options. They took there friend that was on the ground and took off.
    Fear in there eyes.
    He walled to the intersection of the alleyways.
    He found a escape rote just in case.
    He then stood in the perfect spot. If anymore men came he would see them coming.
    He watched every direction waying his options for each direction if someone came in any of them and he had an escape plan for all of them.

You could never be to careful after all those men could have gone off for help and next time he would not be as lucky.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  6. Frosch Traverse Town Homebody

Franco listened to Kyle's assessment with interest, pleased to find that the soldier had a good eye for fortifications. That would no doubt prove useful sometime.

“Yes, it's no castle I admit,” he nodded. “The main Bertram fortress is far to the south, just outside the town of Linhaven. It's where my father resides, and half the Bertram family for that matter. We'll probably be down there sometime over the next few months. Ah, but yes, my home here isn't much. If there's any sign of a significant threat, our best form of defense will be to flee,” he said as he began to lead the way into the house. “However it will protect us against any angry mobs thirsting for the nearest nobleman's blood. And with these rumors of revolution, they may come here sooner than expected.”

Entering in through the door, Franco led them into a warmly lit hallway, and took an immediate right up some stairs. Further on down at the end of the hallway could be seen a large room with a roaring fire.
    “That's where the guardsmen and servants eat and socialize, and this entire floor is where they sleep and work,” Franco explained pointing down to the room, before stepping quickly up the stairs taking them two at a time. On the first floor landing he paused briefly and turned to Kyle. “The lounges, dining room, music room, that sort of thing are on this floor. Any guests I have over will be entertained here for the most part. There's also a few bedrooms and other small rooms on this side of the house, where my steward and the head guardsman sleep. You'll have your rooms there as well.”
    He resumed his climb up the stairs, this time arriving at the top of them on the second floor. Without breaking his stride he burst through the double doors to his right, leading the way into a luxurious lounge area. “This floor is where my private quarters are located, as well as some guest bedrooms,” he explained hurriedly, not even stopping in the room for a moment before he was throwing open another door. This one led to even more steps, although thankfully these were the last since they led up the tower.
    At the top of them was Franco's study. It was here that he did most of his work, secluded from all the noise below and with magnificent sights for miles through the windows. Here he could ponder his secrets openly, and with his powers he would be alert to anyone that was nearby. He felt safer here than almost anywhere else in the world.

Franco took an armchair by a small fire and put his feet up.
    “Take a seat,” he said to Kyle motioning to a couch. He picked up a nearby letter and examined it vaguely as he let Kyle get comfortable. “So, what do you think of my home?” he asked, tossing the letter aside. Rather than wait for the other mans response though, he gave his own opinions. “It's an extravagance, to say the least, but even I have my failings. It cost too much to build, and the maintenance costs are huge as well. And to be honest, half the rooms have never been used. It was built for a family however, so maybe one day the rooms will be filled,” he mused, half to himself.

7. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

Kyle followed Franco's brisk tour, not really seeing the need to comment on the splendour of the place. He did take note of the fact that this wasn't the family's main lodging however, and was most curious to see what the main base of House Bertram looked like. This place is like no other I've been to, and I get to live here? And work here? This is better than I thought. Even the guard's quarters are nice. It looks like I've actually got a nice place to work at. This is far, far better than I could have expected. Kyle nodded where appropriate to each explanation and kept following, matching Bertram's on foot pace far better than he had managed on the horse. As he followed a thought occurred. I'll probably be as good at the reckless riding as he is by the time my career is over. Now that is going to be fun. He climbed the tower, trying to suppose what would be in Franco's study. He'd never been inside a study before, so what were they like. Bookshelves with lots of books I bet. Maybe a fire to keep it warm and a desk. A big desk full of papers and writings. Maybe some comfortable chairs to sit on and a table with a stack of books on for when he wants to relax. He wasn't all that wrong by the looks of things and he was invited to sit on one of those comfortable chairs he was thinking about. He did however, take a moment to admire the spectacular view from the tower. The city... It still looked impressive from this distance but what was better, was the view of the countryside. He lingered by the window for a while, seeing the world from an all new height. A whole new perspective. So this is what they see... This is amazing... I've never been so high up! Remembering where he was suddenly, Kyle took a seat.
    "Sorry my lord I just... I've never seen the world from this high. I wanted to look at it while I was up here. It won't be often I'll be up here, so I wanted to take the chance." Kyle explained. "I like it here. It's like nothing I've ever seen before. It's extravagant yes, but what else do you do when you're in your position? I mean, you have money I guess so, why not use it?"
    "And I'm guessing you intend to fill those rooms one day my lord."
    Kyle said, hazarding a joke. Hopefully that wasn't out of line.

8. Frosch Traverse Town Homebody

Franco smiled a little at Kyle's joke, enough to let the other man know he took it in a good way.
    “Yes, maybe one day I will, assuming the right woman comes along,” he responded in a light tone, suddenly getting up from his seat. He went over to a window and looked out over the countryside for a few moments. The right woman. If only it were so simple.
    “Kyle, you said you had something important you wanted to tell me,” Franco said with his back turned, still looking out the window. “However before you do, I just want to give you a warning about the nobility. We are not infallible. I include us all in that, the Bertram's not the least, and dangerous as it may be to say, neither are the Strive's. We make mistakes, and most of the time it isn't us who bears the brunt of those failings. It is the common folk, the ones who carry out the orders, that suffer the consequences. For every one nobleman that falls, thousands of their subordinates go before them. And all because they made a poor judgment, whether because of greed, or apathy. You could even say that this rumored revolution is due to bad decisions.”

“I am the same. I may strive not to fail, I may hope to do good, but I am painfully aware that I very often make the wrong choice. I don't want to, I spend sometimes days pondering over my course of action, and yet I still find myself at nights agonizing over the terrible consequences of my decisions." He sighed. "I can't help it, I suppose. I am merely a man.”
    “As for you, sometimes you will know when I do not that I am making a mistake, and perhaps even feel that what I am doing is morally wrong. When such an event occurs, tell me. And if I will not listen, I would ask that you follow me still, even if it goes against every fiber of your being.”

He finally turned to face Kyle, a deadly serious look on his face. “In essence, you must dedicate your life to following me, and my family. If you cannot do that, then you may leave. But if you can, then stay, and tell of this private matter of yours.”

9. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

Kyle listened to Franco's words intently. He was right. Nobody was infallible. Everyone made mistakes, everyone was capable of acting wrongly or harshly in the face of stress and troubled times, it was useless to deny this as it was the truth. However, there was one thing he was sure of. Franco's actions would be within the moral boundary that he had assigned himself. He considered his lord's words carefully, considering what he was told. I've been asked to follow him, no matter what. There's one thing my training has taught me- How to follow orders that I don't like. However... This man is giving my family the best chance to live that they can have. He's giving me a fine job, one that I had no right to be given just like that but I'm being dealt this hand regardless. I can follow Lord Bertram. He took a chance on me and thus, I shall take a chance on him.
    "My lord, I can follow you to the brink of hell and beyond." Kyle pledged solemnly."You've given myself and my family a chance to live. A chance for a good life. Following you is the least I can do to repay you." After Kyle had spoken, he stopped. It's time. Kyle took a deep breath and reached inside him for the power. When he touched it with his mind, it eagerly reacted and began to flow through him again.
    "The matter of important my lord is this." Kyle extended a hand and let the blue energy dance and spark upon it. "This is my magic. And I wanted to tell you about it. Myself and it are at your side my lord."

10. Glen Returned from the dead

[​IMG]
    And there it was. The display of rank, the threat. Vex had seen it all before, plenty of times. Being a mercenary, Vex had had more than one encounter with guards and officials, and they always worked the same way. They'd come in and act somewhat friendly with you, then gloat about their rank a bit, and finally treat you like scum because of your rank. Vex's ranking worked a bit differently. He didn't give a crap where you were born, or who your family was, all that mattered to him was strength. The weak would die out, the strong would survive. And he wasn't weak, so there was no way he was bowing down to Precious.

Standing up, he grabbed his battleaxe and stood as tall as he was able, stepping right in front of Precious. "I don't give a damn who you are. You come in here accusin' me of something I know nothing about, you fuck over my drinking, and then you threaten me and Xera" Vex growled. He heard the bartender call out that there was no fighting in the bar, that if they wanted to fight they could take it outside. Far too annoyed to reason with, Vex grabbed his empty glass and hurled it at the bartender, causing it to shatter against the man's head and knock him out cold. Turning his attention back to Precious, he cleared his throat, and then raised his axe. "Now, are we going to stand around all day, or are we going to fight?"
    [​IMG]
    Oscar waited for Samuel to make his move. He knew his little brother well, and figured he had some sort of plan. That was the way they worked. Samuel had great intellect, and Oscar was the front lines, something he was used to. As he saw the light, he knew it wouldn't be long. He held up 5 fingers and counted down. The moment the last one went down, he burst through the door with his blade ready. Sure enough, the men lay on the ground, seeming to be injured but still very much alive. Damn Samuel, you're one smart kid, Oscar thought to himself. Running through the hotel, he encountered a couple of guards, but they were pushovers; not particularly well trained. Pushing past them, he continued on until he got out of the building. He looked around quickly for Samuel until he saw him. "Come on, lets get out of here" was all he said, before taking off towards the northern exit of the town.
    [​IMG]
    As Caleb went to go and ask the guards, Gaius heard a voice asking a question. He looked to his side to see a man asking him if he was here to see the king. "Yeah, I need to ask him about somethin' important, you here to see him too?" the red headed boy asked. He didn't want to have to explain his situation to this stranger, it wasn't something he liked talking about, but he felt like he should talk to him at least while Caleb got entry to the castle.

11. CrownMoksha Decimo

[​IMG]
    On the winding path that lead to Corvus a lone male figure ventured towards the city. His name was Zephyr and he wore two red gloves on his hands and on his back was what looked to be some kind of long sword. Both of these items definitely weren't cheaply made especially if one ever got the chance to take a closer look and examine the craftmanship of them. If one were to say sell one of these items, then they could make quite a bit of money. Which meant that it was very possible for any bandits to rob him.

Speaking of which, as the man got closer to Corvus, Zephyr found himself surrounded by four men. Judging from the looks on their faces, they likely weren't going to let him pass without a fight.

"That's a nice sword you got there, why don't you leave it here with us. Who know, if you throw in those gloves of yours too and we might let you live. Might." The leader of the bandits said which was followed by his underlings chuckling like they'd already won.

There was clearly only one way out of this predicament. So Zephyr sighed before getting into a ready stance. If that wasn't enough to show that he was ready for a fight, then what he did next definitely would. He took his left hand and had it facing the head bandit and using his middle finger, he made the 'bring it' motion.

A noticeable vein had appeared on the bandits forehead.
    "You asked for it now you cocky little fucker. Kill him were he stands!" Zephyr's attempt to rile up the man had worked like a charm as his lackeys all rushed him from each side. The first one had tried to slice his neck with a knife. Zephyr promptly ducked the attempted and counter with a swift punch to the mans gut. To follow up, he grabbed the man's collar while he was stun and moved him in the path of the of the other man.They two collided headfirst and went down in pain.

In a matter of seconds two of the three goons that had attacked him had been dealt with and were now on the ground. That definitely was enough to hurt the morale of the last two guys still standing. Though despite all this Zephyr didn't make the next move. He wanted to see what the other guys would do. The one holding his sword was clearly shaking as a result of what he'd just seen happened and it didn't take much longer for the fear to take over and his running away with his tail between his legs.

Now it was just Zephyr and the head bandit left. Smirking, he decided to taught the man.
    "Last chance, you can either end up like your friends on the ground or run. Either one fine by me."

"Bring it on, I can handle you on my own!" He may have been able to still talk big, but his ability to actually do something was questionable at best. No matter, Zephyr would still allow him to make the first move. The seconds that passed seemed to go on forever before even an attempt to make a move was made. The attempt was for the head bandit to grab a throwing that was attached to his side and throw it. While the attack was dodged, the blade has grazed his cheek, causing some blood to trickle down his cheek. Not bad for a fear induced attack. In response to this, Zephyr rushed the bandit, not giving him any time to grab his other weapon. Right when he got into stringing range,

*clap*

The sound of two hands clasping together resonated in the area. Instead of punching the man, Zephyr had clapped right in his face. it was still more than enough to not only shock him, but bring the bandit down to his knees. Well as unnecessary as all that was, it was a decent workout given that he didn't use any magic, which might have ended this a lot faster if he did.
    Note to self: Think about that possibility next time something like this happens. Zephyr walked past the trembling man and continued on his way into Corvus.

12. GarrettFinch Hollow Bastion Committee

Scott's pov:

Scott baner.png

" I am here to see the king. I am not sure what I am here for. Mostly information. If the king can give it to me great if not I sure I can find it elsewhere. Name is Scott by the way.
    You don't seem like the type to want help from a king."
    So why was the man here?

13. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

Quinn tried to make casual conversation several times throughout the meal, but she was just so formal. It was kind of hard to really talk to someone who treated you like you were standing on a pedestal at all times. Then again, she was born and raised as a servant. She was always taught that was how she should act. Ordinarily, that would be okay too. However, he never had the attitude expected of a prince. He'd always been told he was far too casual about it, that he should be more serious about his position. However, it was no secret that he didn't want the position in the first place. After they had both finished eating their food, Quinn stood and stretched his arms.

"I gotta get out of this castle. I'm getting kinda stir crazy. Unless you've got some other critically important duties, why don't you accompany me? I'd imagine it gets tiring just working around the castle all day." Beginning to leave, Quinn grabbed his spear. One never knew when they would need their weapon. With that, he headed out into the town of Corvus.

Balthar gave a small smile as the little girl known as Thea merrily came skipping back into the room. Seeming she wanted to show him something, she snatched the picture she had drawn earlier out of his hands and held up a white flame to it. At first, the page didn't so much as darken, let alone burn. However, just before he could applaud her on her progress, she lost focus. The flames turned red, and the page turned black. As the drawing turned to smoldering ashes, tears began to stream down the girl's face. Not quite knowing what to do, Balthar knelt down to put a hand on her shoulder. He'd never actually had any children of his own, nor had much experience with them aside from Thea. "Thea, don't fret over the drawing. It can be replaced. Just be glad your flames cannot harm you. While you can simply draw another picture, there will only ever be one Thea Strive. I'm only glad that you are unharmed." He said reassuringly.

[​IMG]
    Much to the bard's delight, things had gone exactly as he had planned them to. Osric had taken notice of his musical capabilities and called him forward, banishing everyone else from the room momentarily. Taliesin bowed to the young lord, as to show respect. "Ah, my lord, you ask of what i seek? You are a many of many connections. All roads lead to Mooredoor, as they say. So, would it not be natural to choose the place where the most roads intertwine? I come only to offer my services to you. I believe you will find my talents useful, both in the realm of music, and other agendas you might have." Taliesin was a good judge of character. While it was impossible to tell the specifics of what Osric schemed, there was surely some less than legal ideas running through his mind. "Taliesin is the name i was given. It means "Shining". I'm afraid i have no surname to speak of, my lord. The one will have to suffice."

14. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    Thea slowly nodded at Balthars words as she wiped the tears from her face. She felt so small and insignificant compared to him, but he was also one of few people Thea was around to be around a lot. Staff was limited and she wasn't allowed to go out much. She still would accidentally throw flames when she had a tantrum and it was too dangerous for her to leave. She did understand that, so she made herself a very comfortable life here in her home with Balthar as her friend. "Balthar...." Thea said quietly. "Will you play with me now? Will you take me out to play by the lake. The water is right there so I won't be able to hurt anyone right?" She asked.

Invvinahe was a small town, smallest in Rivelle, and close to a lake. It was the perfect place for the Strive family to relocate when they had a daughter with magic, that put her in danger of ridicule from the citizens, and put others in danger due to its strength and lack of control. The family lived in a grand house, a lot more high end than the rest of the village and her parents used the excuse that they lived there because the king wanted to ensure he had a representative from every town, someone of the royal courts that could inform the king of what needed to change for him to help the people. This was indeed what he father did as well, but it wasn't the reason they had come. Either way since the Strive family moved there the quality of living had increased so no one questioned the mysterious behaviour of them keeping their daughter inside most of the time. No one suspected a thing, they usually just though because of their relationship to the king such a young girl would be in danger from the people who didn't agree with the king.

[​IMG]
    One phrase spoken by Vex and a wicked grin appeared on Xera's face. Finally it was time to get a little messy. She drew her sword from her sheath, keeping her eyes on Precious the entire time. Her blade was a nice one, well made, well worn, and well taken care of. It was something she took particular pride in. She looked as the sun glinted off the end of it, but also saw something else in it. Seemed like more than just her and Vex where looking for a fight. Xera twisted her sword in her hand and aimed it at Precious, seeming like she didn't even notice the other guys.

Xera stood like this for a moment until she knew the guys approaching from behind where close enough. She jolted the arm holding her sword back, elbowing one man in the neck, that gave her enough time to turn around in their surprise. She then faced them sword in hand as both guys where bigger than her she should feel intimidated but Xera simply stood there and looked at them without a fear in the world until they both lunged at her to attack. Xera swiftly dodged both of them stabbing one of the men in the shoulder. He stumbled back shocked so of course his friend did what any illogical friend would do and grabbed an empty beer bottle and went to throw it at her. Xera barely flinched as her sword sliced through air and glass causing it to fall short of her for the most part. A couple of the glass shards hit her, on embedding itself in her forehead allowing blood to stream down her face.
    "Son of Bitch." Xera growled moving into more of an offensive position. This was about to get real.
    [​IMG]
    Sasha did her best through lunch to balance the manners in which she was taught to speak to the prince with a normal conversation, however since she always taught that there would never be need for a normal conversation with a royal it was not really a part of her skill set. She could tell the prince was not all too impressed with this mannerism of hers, however it was not something so easily changed.

After lunch he spoke of being stir crazy, getting out of the castle for a bit and invited her to come along as long as she had nothing else important to be doing.
    "My only duty is to be there when you call and serve in whatever way you will allow me, your highness. I am your personal servant and will follow you wherever you ask me to go." She replied as a way of saying, yes she would be delighted to join him. Being around the castle got so routine. She enjoyed being around Quinn because he was different, fun. She was delighted when she was assigned his personal servant. Whether this was a type of promotion, a request from the king, or even Quinn himself, she didn't know, no one told her, she was just told by her mother her new position in the castle and took great pride in it.
    [​IMG]
    Samuel retained his vantage point until his brother made it out of the building and called out to him. It took him on a couple seconds to get out of the tree due to the fact he only climbed down a couple of branches and then jumped. He was still quite high up but hit the ground in such a way that he rolled and reduced the shock of the landing. Samuel did not go straight over to his brother, instead he quickly made his way over to the guards to collect his throwing stars. Samuel didn't know when they would have time to get more, especially good quality ones, so he wasn't going to lose any if he could help it.

After less than a minute of collecting and giving each a quick wipe Samuel was by his brothers side. Oscar started to head to the northern exit of the town, the funny part about that was that the exit itself wasn't to the north but more so to the west, it just led north to the capital.
    "Wait." Samuel said casually walking beside his brother as to not arouse any suspicion from the common folk around. "I need to pick up something from the book shop." He said discretely, the bookshop was right by another exit out of town, a true northern exit. "Have you heard the legends about Moredoor? I want to pick up a book about them? I think that I could get across to the legendary island in the middle of the lava. It would be interesting to see if my thoughts would compare to the stories. If they seem like in the context it would work." [DOUBLEPOST=1424255193][/DOUBLEPOST]
    [​IMG]
    Thea slowly nodded at Balthars words as she wiped the tears from her face. She felt so small and insignificant compared to him, but he was also one of few people Thea was around to be around a lot. Staff was limited and she wasn't allowed to go out much. She still would accidentally throw flames when she had a tantrum and it was too dangerous for her to leave. She did understand that, so she made herself a very comfortable life here in her home with Balthar as her friend. "Balthar...." Thea said quietly. "Will you play with me now? Will you take me out to play by the lake. The water is right there so I won't be able to hurt anyone right?" She asked.

Invvinahe was a small town, smallest in Rivelle, and close to a lake. It was the perfect place for the Strive family to relocate when they had a daughter with magic, that put her in danger of ridicule from the citizens, and put others in danger due to its strength and lack of control. The family lived in a grand house, a lot more high end than the rest of the village and her parents used the excuse that they lived there because the king wanted to ensure he had a representative from every town, someone of the royal courts that could inform the king of what needed to change for him to help the people. This was indeed what he father did as well, but it wasn't the reason they had come. Either way since the Strive family moved there the quality of living had increased so no one questioned the mysterious behaviour of them keeping their daughter inside most of the time. No one suspected a thing, they usually just though because of their relationship to the king such a young girl would be in danger from the people who didn't agree with the king.

[​IMG]
    One phrase spoken by Vex and a wicked grin appeared on Xera's face. Finally it was time to get a little messy. She drew her sword from her sheath, keeping her eyes on Precious the entire time. Her blade was a nice one, well made, well worn, and well taken care of. It was something she took particular pride in. She looked as the sun glinted off the end of it, but also saw something else in it. Seemed like more than just her and Vex where looking for a fight. Xera twisted her sword in her hand and aimed it at Precious, seeming like she didn't even notice the other guys.

Xera stood like this for a moment until she knew the guys approaching from behind where close enough. She jolted the arm holding her sword back, elbowing one man in the neck, that gave her enough time to turn around in their surprise. She then faced them sword in hand as both guys where bigger than her she should feel intimidated but Xera simply stood there and looked at them without a fear in the world until they both lunged at her to attack. Xera swiftly dodged both of them stabbing one of the men in the shoulder. He stumbled back shocked so of course his friend did what any illogical friend would do and grabbed an empty beer bottle and went to throw it at her. Xera barely flinched as her sword sliced through air and glass causing it to fall short of her for the most part. A couple of the glass shards hit her, on embedding itself in her forehead allowing blood to stream down her face.
    "Son of Bitch." Xera growled moving into more of an offensive position. This was about to get real.
    [​IMG]
    Sasha did her best through lunch to balance the manners in which she was taught to speak to the prince with a normal conversation, however since she always taught that there would never be need for a normal conversation with a royal it was not really a part of her skill set. She could tell the prince was not all too impressed with this mannerism of hers, however it was not something so easily changed.

After lunch he spoke of being stir crazy, getting out of the castle for a bit and invited her to come along as long as she had nothing else important to be doing.
    "My only duty is to be there when you call and serve in whatever way you will allow me, your highness. I am your personal servant and will follow you wherever you ask me to go." She replied as a way of saying, yes she would be delighted to join him. Being around the castle got so routine. She enjoyed being around Quinn because he was different, fun. She was delighted when she was assigned his personal servant. Whether this was a type of promotion, a request from the king, or even Quinn himself, she didn't know, no one told her, she was just told by her mother her new position in the castle and took great pride in it.
    [​IMG]
    Samuel retained his vantage point until his brother made it out of the building and called out to him. It took him on a couple seconds to get out of the tree due to the fact he only climbed down a couple of branches and then jumped. He was still quite high up but hit the ground in such a way that he rolled and reduced the shock of the landing. Samuel did not go straight over to his brother, instead he quickly made his way over to the guards to collect his throwing stars. Samuel didn't know when they would have time to get more, especially good quality ones, so he wasn't going to lose any if he could help it.

After less than a minute of collecting and giving each a quick wipe Samuel was by his brothers side. Oscar started to head to the northern exit of the town, the funny part about that was that the exit itself wasn't to the north but more so to the west, it just led north to the capital.
    "Wait." Samuel said casually walking beside his brother as to not arouse any suspicion from the common folk around. "I need to pick up something from the book shop." He said discretely, the bookshop was right by another exit out of town, a true northern exit. "Have you heard the legends about Moredoor? I want to pick up a book about them? I think that I could get across to the legendary island in the middle of the lava. It would be interesting to see if my thoughts would compare to the stories. If they seem like in the context it would work."

15. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

Elyas waited. He was a professional, the old man couldn't see him but looked to be watching the alleyway. He could wait as long as necessary. It would take only a little time before the man decided to make his move, and then Elyas would silently follow. There was no need to reveal himself to the stranger yet. Is there actually any point to doing this? I'm following someone who at most is a local informant most likely and he's certainly not one of the King's men otherwise I'd have met him before. As fascinating as this is, it is truly pointless and entirely irrelevant to my objectives. If he's a revolution agent, then frankly I'm not bothered. I've got the lead I need and there's no need to blow my cover. You've been interesting old man and we'll play again some time when this business with this Vex character is done. Elyas turned and walked silently and unseen out of the alleyway, keeping to the shadows. He slipped into the crowd on the main streets and became just another man walking down the road in a cloak. He made his way to the stables and picked out his horse. He saddled the beast himself, being familiar with the process.
    "Come, Avery. We've a ride to Corvus yet." He said, mounting up and taking off down the main road to the infamous City of Nobles.

[​IMG]

"We idealise our predecessors when we examine retrospectively the way of affairs in the times before, despite the blessed flaws that made them the predecessors and not the present successors never to be surpassed in a hundred, nay a thousand years."

"When such a circumstance as one’s government starting to collapse as a result of the head of the snake being severed, in this case the King of our fair Kingdom, where does a nation go? Anarchy is a disease symptomatic of these troubled transitional periods that one must suffer through in order to reach the new ways to come. These anarchic periods are most dangerous for reasons two fold and equally dangerous for us nobility and those that we look down on, the lesser men alike. The power vacuum when there is no clear line of succession ends in noble conflicts that tear apart the realm as men such as we reading this work are involved with."

"I see. Well you have come to the right place... Tallesin." Osric said, reclining again. He looked the man up and down. This man means me no harm. In fact, he intends to serve me. I believe this is genuine material. Yes, a good musician would suit me most well. Especially one that has the talent to sneak in to a Nobleman's performance group on a whim. Yes this will do rather nicely I should think. "Very well. Since you have offered me your service I believe I will take it. I would test your talents, but by you getting in here in the first place I think you've proved rather enough. If you wish to serve, then I shall have an oath of loyalty out of you. Once have sworn, then you are bound to me and no other. Not even the rest of my family. If one of my family were to order you around for any reason, then unless I have stated otherwise you report back to me and then and only then do you follow it. If it is perhaps playing your instruments then I give you leave to do so, provided that by following these instructions my own orders are not conflicted with. If any of them should take issue with this, then direct them to me. I shall handle the re-education of my family where you are concerned." Osric got to his feet and indicated for Tallesin to kneel. Osric was an imposing presence in any room. Just under 6ft tall, he was taller than any of his family and he moved with an unnatural lithe grace. He looked down at Tallesin who knelt before him and smiled. This is power. And with you Tallesin, I shall have more. And if you serve me well, I may just grant you some too.

"Repeat after me." Osric commanded. "I, Tallesin solemnly swear my service to Osric of House Lelande. I shall act in his interests. His foes are my foes, his friends are my friends and his liege is my liege. I put myself at his disposal and shall live my life in the interest of serving him, until such a time that I am released from my oath. This I swear upon the Gods old and new, and the Gods before and to come."

[​IMG]

Kari looked at her change of clothes with relative indifference. Shirt, trousers, boots. Just what I needed really. Nothing remarkable, but people might think twice about guessing my gender. I'd rather that at first glance that people figured that I was a boy. It's less trouble for me. Although that said, the axe does make a bit of a difference. I think an axe on anyone's back changes one's perception of what they can get away with at the best of times. As she left the shop she had purchased her new clothes in, she felt her stomach rumble and became suddenly aware that she was hungry and really quite thirsty. ****, I haven't eaten in ages. In search of food, Kari set out to find something. Hearing the sounds of voices within a nearby tavern, she entered. The noise was not at all what she expected. It sounded rather more angry than it should have been.

That's because there was a bar fight.

Rolling her eyes as she watched a man with very spiky blond hair and a black hooded woman with what looked like blond hair spilled out the hood down her shoulders a short ways. Both of them were armed with swords and the man looked like he was pointing a sword at... An official! One of those bastards with the King and his nobility! Dressed rather pompously and ridiculously in some sort of red costume with what looked like a whip in his hand. She gritted her teeth. I'm hungry but it can wait. I am not going to let this guy mess with any other people! He doesn't look like too much of a fight. That woman looks like she's in trouble and the man can probably handle himself. She's got more people on her. Yes, I'm helping her. Kari yanked her axe off her back and ran over to Xera, sliding over an empty table knocking over a few empty mugs in the process. Standing beside Xera with her axe ready, she looked at the people who were going to attack the hooded lady.

"Wanna take two of us?" Kari challenged. If you don't back off you're not going to be the first men I killed today!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  16. Frosch Traverse Town Homebody

Now this was a surprise. As the blue magic crackled in Kyle's hand, Franco looked at it keenly in silence for a few moments, admiring the way it cast its light and danced.

“Your magic is truly a thing of beauty,” Franco said simply, being completely open about what he was thinking right at that moment, an occurrence that wasn't frequent at all.

Kyle was turning out to be quite a good addition to Franco's retinue, despite only having just joined it. He was one of the top soldiers just out of training, he was young and seemingly unaffiliated with anyone else in the aristocracy, it was clear the young man was prepared to dedicate himself wholeheartedly to the Bertram family, and to top all this off, he possessed the rare gift of magic.
    In fact, it was almost too good to be true. It now struck Franco that there was the vague possibility that Kyle was in fact working for someone else. Magic was rare, very few people could use it or even tolerated it, and even fewer people would actually admit to having such powers. The odds of there being an unaffiliated young soldier who could use magic, and admit to it after having only just receiving a position in a new household, were quite low. Someone could be counting on Franco to jump at the chance to accept Kyle to use his power, and unwittingly reveal too many secrets. It wouldn't be a surprise if that was really what was happening here.

And yet, my own power tells me he's genuine. I can't rely just on that of course, but it's something to go on. I shall have to keep an eye on you, Kyle. For now I won't reveal too much, but I will let you know some of my secrets. And if they somehow become public knowledge, I'll know who to blame.

Coming out of his silence suddenly, Franco leaned forward.
    “What does your magic do?” he asked. “From the looks of it, it has some sort of physical impact on the world, but what exactly I obviously can't say. Perhaps you could show me?”

[​IMG]
    At first Koko couldn't really hear what the three people she was watching were saying, but soon their voices began to rise in anger. When the weapons came out, the little cat huddled down more behind the leg of the table, frightened about what would happen next. When the woman was attacked from behind, Koko just ducked down her head, trying to just hide from what was happening. There was a sound of smashing glass, and Koko scrambled underneath another table as broken pieces of a bottle landed near her. They wouldn't have hurt her, but Koko was too frightened and young to think clearly in this situation.
    Where are you Alec? Come and get me, please!
    She was nearer to the door now, but there with all the feet moving and the fight going on, the cat wasn't brave enough to make a dash for it. The door opened briefly, and Koko almost made a dash for it, but it was too late. The young woman that had opened it suddenly charged forward and slid over the table Koko was under, making it shudder and sending the kitten racing off to another table in the fear that the table would fall on her.
    Her fur ruffled and her breathing ragged, Koko cowered in corner, watching the scene in front of her with large frightened eyes. She just wished that Alec would come soon and take her somewhere safe.

17. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

"Thank you my lord." Kyle replied, bowing his head in thanks. He felt like that was genuine. He kept it showing, as he hadn't been told otherwise. Then, Franco went silent, as if considering something. A chill went down his spine, although he tried to keep his face impassive. Had he done something wrong? What could it have been? Should I have thanked him more? Did I make a mistake in showing him or... Or is it something else? At that moment, an alarming thought occurred to him. What if he thinks that I'm here to do him harm? What if he thinks that I'm here to kill him or spy on him or something, anything. Oh no, what about my family! If he believes I'm out for his blood then what will happen to them? Kyle tried to keep himself under control. This silence was unnatural, and despite it's relative brevity it was disconcerting. Then, Franco finally began to talk.
    "My lord the power is... Destructive. You'll have to replace something in here." Kyle explained. He aimed his hand at a chair. Focusing it in his mind, he lashed out with the blue energy in a focused bolt and the chair shattered in a flash of blue. He flet a change in his body as the fatigue of the use set in. It took the form of feeling a bit hungry, as he needed to replace the energy lost. "I apologise for the damage, but you wanted to see. Additionally, I can channel it through my sword and it becomes sharp. Sharp enough to slice through most things. If I put enough in, then I could maybe get it through these walls. The more I use it, it weakens me. I need to replace the energy I use up by doing it. I have to be careful with how I use it."

18. Frosch Traverse Town Homebody

Franco winced as Kyle's bolt smashed the chair, sending splinters flying everywhere. That had been an expensive chair, probably the most expensive thing in this room. No matter, I have something of greater value now. This power, it had so much potential. If Kyle had described it accurately, then it could be used to sheer through a shield raised to parry a blow, or, interestingly, for sudden, unanticipated killing. And given its effects on the chair, doors and other weak structures could be dispatched easily as well. Kyle even claimed he could get through walls given enough time and energy, and Franco was inclined to believe him.

Of course, the magic had its drawbacks. A loss of energy through its use, a common enough side effect of wielding such powers. And luckily, one that could be mitigated.

“Kyle, I think it's in both of our interests that you develop this power further,” Franco suggested. “It seems to me that, if this power of yours uses your energy, to last longer you simply need to get more energy. Your stamina, you can train to increase it. Your training as a soldier has probably allowed you to use your magic more powerfully than you would have been able to otherwise, but I am certain you could become even more stronger.”
    A plan was beginning to form in Franco's mind. Kyle's magic was strong, more powerful than anything any of his other servants could boast, and if it could be developed further, and Kyle proved faithful, Franco could find himself in a very strong position indeed. “I want you to continue your physical training, for a start,” he told Kyle. “Become fitter, faster, stronger. And aside from this, I will arrange somewhere for you to practice your magic. Somewhere out of sight and earshot. Most of my subordinates, while loyal, still share the common fear of magic users. But I'm sure you are used to this ignorant fear already.” As am I. “With practice, you will learn to use your magic more efficiently, and more potently. I doubt you've had many opportunities to use it before, so I can imagine your strength will grow quickly.”
    Now, I have to get him to strive for this. I have to challenge him.
    “Now, that's what I think should be done,” Franco said leaning back. “However, you know about your magic more than I do. Tell me what you think. Will this help, or is it just a pipe dream? Do you have any more potential, or is this your limit?Franco looked Kyle straight in the eye, challenging him. “Is this all you have?”

19. GarrettFinch Hollow Bastion Committee

Flint's pov:

Flint Mrtlin (old).png

After waiting in the spot for hours. It was time to go find this Vex person. What was he up to.
    He would have to use Eric, if he was going to get anywhere. So that is it then
    This town was pointless. No new information. Just a strange man. Who was he the way he acted in the inn, he was up to something but what? Finding Vex is next.

Sara's pov:

Sara banner.png

She was scared out of her mind. Wait do she just see a cat. No it must be that she was so scared that she was now seeing things.
    She use to have cat that followed her all the time.
    She backed up to a table. Oh no this is so bad. She stood there oh no.
    Going in this place was a mistake.
    I should have kept waking, she thought.

20. Skyheart Joker

"Get your ass back here thief!" A man had called out, yelling through the bustling crowd. Here, within the city of Corvus, a small band of guardsman had started a chase on someone. A young female, average height and weight, short blue hair and unreasonably large hat. She had been seen carting off a sack from a local store, with really only a shopkeeper yelling and pointing at a crowd of people to implicate her specifically. Nevertheless, based on her actions, she was indeed the culprit and even if she wasn't, they could still pass her off as one.

As she continued to run through the street, none of the passerbys really taking action as they were trying to take in the confusion of the scene first, she started to run backwards. Saluting to her pursuers she said, "sorry boys, no can do. Gotta steal to eat, gotta eat to live an all that jazz. You know how it is." She then turned back around and darted into a nearby alleyway. The guardsmen continued after her, only to hear a large banging noise accompanied by the sound of stone crumbling. They briefly stopped as this sound occurred once again, though they quickly got over it and continued their chase through the city.

When they entered the alleyway, they saw a different site then what was normally two solid walls accompanied by a dead end. There in one of the walls, was a large gaping hole with, what appeared to be recent, rubble surrounding it. Shocked at the site, they looked at it and saw another such hole at the end of the building. The guardsmen quickly decided to keep going through the holes in pursuit of their culprit. As they cleared the building, out from a darkened corner a short chuckle could be heard as the thief had exited out of the first hole the guards walked through. "Works every time."

[​IMG]

Jackson Alba triumphantly walked through the streets of the "City of the Nobles" with a bit of a swagger in her step, she pulled an apple out of her sack and took a bite into it. After having secured her daily scurvy prevention food, she decided to just sort of wander around and see if anything else of interest was going down. Despite being the city of nobles, it was hardly a safe place for a person to live. For the poor that meandered about, jail was their only escape. For the roaming thieves, prison was the end of the line. For the monetarily well off...well, when the end of the line wasn't in sight for the aforementioned lot, they had to learn to be more "charitable" with the wealth and goods they carried about.

She had continued to walk around the area until suddenly she someone who seemed to be hitting the poop deck of fatigue...she looked really tired. Casually sauntering herself over there, she sat beside the girl and said,
    "hey there Red, rocking that fatigued look as usual." She took a bite of her apple, while reaching through her sack of many fruit, taking out an orange. Extending it out to the girl, she offered, "want one?" After the answer she said, "so what's it like today. You on or off duty right now? I interrupting your work?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.