Revolution of Rivelle

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Glen, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glen Returned from the dead

Link to the OOC Thread
    Firstly, I would like to apologize for the delay in starting this. Secondly, if you need me to answer any questions at all that you have about how to introduce your character feel more than welcome to ask, and thirdly...I just like the number three.
    With that underway, lets get this started!

Inside a bar located in the town of Corvus, the city of Nobles, sat the mercenary Vex. He had made the trip from Balmar to Sharox, and then had arrived there, where he would spend a good few months there, doing mercenary work as he found it whilst making plans. He'd heard rumours that a man was trying to start a revolution, a war against the royal family to take the throne for themself. Rumour has it, it was him. Not a bad idea, he thought to himself as he sat on a stool. The bartender came over and gave him the drink that the mercenary had ordered a minute earlier. Vex silently pushed the money over to the man, not one for idle conversation but not wanting to start trouble. He could handle it, he just didn't particularly want to.

As Vex finished his drink only a couple of minutes later, the bartender walked over again, deciding to strike up a conversation anyway. After remarking the rumours and explaining them to Vex, he then asked if Vex himself had heard of them. A slight grin crossed the axe-wielder's face. "Scared of ghost stories huh? You really think someone could start something with the royal family and come out on top? They've been in power for centuries for a reason" he replied. The bartender simply shrugged, and Vex shoved his empty glass towards the bartender. "Get me another, and save the rumours for someone who'll believe 'em" the mercenary said seriously, the slight grin vanishing from his face as he spoke.

Inside the cheapest hotel one could stay at in Sharox was another mercenary, or rather ex mercenary. His name was Oscar Leighyard, and while Vex may have been drowning his sorrows with alcohol, Oscar was trying to sleep them off. It didn't matter that it was the middle of the day, he got rest whenever he was able to. He'd woken up rather abruptly just minutes ago, however. Looking to the other bed to see that Samuel was still there, he wondered whether the boy was actually asleep, or just trying to relax. A wave of guilt hit the older brother like a truck as he realized just how little relaxation the two of them got. Being an ex mercenary had its problems; one of them being he was a wanted criminal, so by association Samuel was constantly in danger also, and this made Oscar feel terrible. "I'll make things work, Samuel. I've lost so much since mom and dad, I won't lose you too" he said quietly, cluthing his blade closely.

Gaius Ryan stood just outside of the castle in Corvus. The castle was huge and kind of intimidating to someone that came from the small town of Balmar, but he'd come this far and there was no turning back. He turned to glance at Caleb. "Well, here goes nothin'. Maybe the king'll know somethin' about my mother, only one way to find out right?" he asked, grinning slightly as he said so. Looking back at the castle gates, he gulped a little. He was confident that things would go fine, but there was a little voice in the back of his mind just asking one question; what if they didn't?

Caleb Stitem gave a nod in response to his friend. They'd been walking for weeks to get here, but now that they had finally arrived it almost felt daunting. Caleb had a firm sense of justice, and he felt it only right to help his best friend discover what had happened to his mother. To an extent, he regretted it. They'd both seen quite a bit since leaving their small town, and while they hadn't lost much, they had lost a very close friend. However, rather than moping around and slowing down because of it, Caleb had decided to do his best to fulfill his dying friend's wishes and help Gaius find out what happened; to put his mind to rest. Stepping forward, he approached the guards with the intention of being let inside. Things would work out, they had to.

Will update with banners once made.​

2. Mysty Unknown

[​IMG]

The motel smelled of piss and alcohol, a smell only familiar to those of a lower class. However, that was just what
    Precious wanted. He sat on the bed, a smile across his lips an his tongue licking them. On the side of the bed across from the dresser was his whip, a long and powerful device he used to infuse with his magic to cause many effects of negative alignments.

"I really enjoyed the evening, love. It's just a shame we can never play again." He spoke as he stood up. "You are just a low class after all. Nobody will care if you die." He grabbed his whip and turned away, the body had its eyes wide open, its mouth drooling what was left, and his entire body covered in scratches. The man was dead. "Maybe next time I'll find a partner who whimpers instead of screams. Now won't that be a treat. Maybe he can truly hurt me too. Oh that would be fabulous!"

Leaving the motel, Precious decided to get a drink after such a long night. Within the bar he decided to arrive at, he caught the conversation between two gentleman, a bartender and the man that looked like the rebel leader. "So, I hear you are the so called man trying to overthrow his highness. I'm not so sure how I feel about a cute boy like yourself doing such a thing. Do I need to inflict punishment?"

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    Thea skipped around the house looking for the man that was supposed to be guarding her, but she just thought of him more as a friend, a person to keep her company while her parents where busy. "Balthar! Barthar! Look what I drew!" Thea said in excitement as she held up a picture of her and her parents and him for him to see. "It is for you." She said handing him the picture. Thea was generally a happy girl, she had a power and strength of power no one quite understood but that was okay, she had a great life. She used to live in the castle at a very young age, something she hardly remembered but now they had to move away. Her father said it was for her sake, her mother said it was for the safety of everyone.

"Fire Heart. Come here please."

Thea heard her mothers voice calling her favourite nickname that her mother came up with. "Oh my tutor must be here. I have to go. Will you play with me later Balthar?" The asked him as she prepared to go for her lesson. She had them every day, lessons on how to control her magic, though she never did improve much. The lessons where hard and it seemed as though her fire didn't want to be tamed, even so they had to try. Though her parents never said it she knew that it was because of her powers that they rarely had anyone over and she was rarely allowed out. She knew that if she lost her temper things could go wrong very fast, that is why they lived in a house mostly made of stone, so she couldn't burn it down. For that reason she trained the best she could every day, perhaps one of these days she could control them and then there would be no problems. "Coming Mama." She called out before running off on Balthar.

[​IMG]
    Xera stood outside the bar that Vex was drinking at, pacing actually. She didn't typically enter the bars when Vex decided to drink but she had nothing better to do than wait for him. Xera had been working under Vex almost apprenticing under him for a few months now as a way of gaining a little extra money and such. He had started some rumours that she helped spread about people coming together to overthrow the royal family. Now Xera didn't know for sure if this would actually come to pass but if it did she supported it. Xera grew up in poverty and despite all the kings money and power not once had he done anything to help, not when her mother was sick and died when she was young, not when her father beat on her and got into fits over nothing. Never once was there money or help sent from the palace even when she tried to send letters requesting it. So now she was here, an escape from her father, a way for some quick money and with someone he supported. Sounded like a good trade off to her.

After a while of waiting Xera got impatient and walked into the bar, taking a seat next to Vex.
    "How long do you plan to sit here and drink?" She asked before noticing the person on the other side of Vex talking. His mannerisms where strange to say the least. Xera's hand fell to her side as it wrapped around her sword being cautious of the person there. She knew around Vex she shouldn't talk or do to much without his permission but even so she sometimes forgot. "Who are you? Just what do you want?" She asked eyeing the person carefully.

[​IMG]
    Sasha Terence, one of few servants from birth as well as the best at what she does. Sasha had been raised up serving in the castle in many different areas of it. She never just had one job, the jobs changed with her age, that meant she could do most things needed at any given time. Right now however she served for the prince, Quinn. Sasha was only a couple years younger than the hansom young prince, and enjoyed his personality greatly. Sasha never had a problem with being a servant girl, the royal family was good to her, so there was no reason for problem.

"Your majesty." Sasha said kneeling at the princes feet. "I have come to inform you that your lunch is waiting in the great dining hall for you. However if you prefer to eat it here in your room I can bring it up for you. I am at your service." Sasha spoke in a formal manner to her prince. She stayed bowed as she talked waiting for his permission to rise. Her long hair brushed the floor at Quinns feet and her light blue eyes stayed down though she wanted to look up, she knew it was not respectful, she was taught well.

[​IMG]

Samuel lay on his bed looking away from his brother. He was simply staring at a blank wall, not much going on in his mind except for one common question. What will happen to us next? For the last few years that was the question that came up every day in Samuels mind. They boy had a strange mind though. He was smart, smart enough to nearly be qualified as a genus, and he had a special ability. He was able to see negative events, but they always came through moments after the even happened, meaning if he was there with the person he saw it happen to, he had to deal with seeing the event repeat itself directly after, relive it. However at the same time it was a helpful thing to have. More than once had him and his brother been connected with someone and leave but Samuel saw if they got in trouble. This had two benefits, either they could go back and help them. Or they knew that they had to move again.

Samuel rolled over as he heard his brother speaking. He spoke too quietly to hear the words but he could make out that something was being said.
    "Did you say something?" Samuel asked knowing perfectly well that he did but not sure that Oscar necessarily wanted to share. He sat up and curled himself into a ball before asking another thing. "So how long do you think we have before we have to run again?" Samuel asked as he glanced at the belt that contained all his throwing stars sitting on the table next to his bed.

4. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

Elyas stepped out of the rain into the inn. Sharox, he decided Is a thoroughly miserable place. Remind me not to come here again if I have to. Or at least this district. Elyas sighed dramatically, taking a seat at a table in the corner. He relaxed in his seat, content to let the shadows dance around him in his corner while he watched, watched and waited for the right man to appear at the right time. If such a man existed. He had been all over the place, all on the tail of these rumours that the King had sent him after. He picked up a shaky trail some towns back, lost it again and finally picked it up at Balmar and from Balmar, he traced it here. So from Sharox to where? The most obvious place was Corvus he supposed, but that would be more than a little brazen, starting your revolution from the city of the nobility itself. That said, where better? It was the heart of Rivelle, where most of the money was and where most of the security was. If you had to choose any place, Corvus was the most direct place to start. But, who said the mind of a man planning a revolution was a logical one? Indeed, who said the man was real? It might just be wishful thinking. It was too risky however. Revolutions were bad for politics. One goes off, then every other stupid farmer starts thinking of a new world and before you know it, the whole country is thinking exactly the same damn thing and then what do you do?

Time to wait for his contact. He got an impression of what the guy looked like from a stroke of good luck, but figuring out who it was exactly was a job easier said than done. The description was sort of generic. He just had to hope it was good, otherwise he might just walk by him and boy wouldn't that be embarrassing? Elyas Muzane the Silvertongue, walks right past the guy he's looking for and doesn't realise it. Not happening. And now, Elyas waited. For something, for anything that might give him an inkling of where exactly this Vex character had gone. All he knew is that the man had stopped here. If he could talk to the bartender then he might be able to get more intel. The running joke was that bartenders knew everything. If it was travellers you were looking for, amusingly enough they usually did.

[​IMG]

"Attention!" The Sergeant commanded. With a clanking of metal as their armour crashes against itself, the group of twenty recruits stood at attention.
    "Yes sir!" The recruits shouted in unison. Kyle tried not to take notice of how heavy the armour was, or how his ears rang from the sound of the high pitched scratching that came from Morris' gear to his left. He really needed to make the plates fit together better seriously, because every parade at least once the armour let out that high pitched supersonic whine and figuratively murdered the ears of all gathered. Kyle held his position, 'Bang straight and arms nailed to your sides' as the Sergeant liked to describe the position. As far as Sergeants went, theirs was alright if the horror stories from the other men were to be believed. Surely none of them really decimated the trainees? He decided quickly that he'd rather not know after all.
    "You've all done well! I'm proud of you boys! Well, some of you. There are those among your unit that are total- Complete- Let downs!" The Sergeant continued. The man had a way with words unlike anyone else he had ever met. Maybe it was being a sergeant. "Whatever you are, I'm happy to say that each and every one of you maggots, despite the will of the Gods, has passed! Congratulations soldiers! And you Morris. One day your dumb ass is going to have to figure out how to make your armour fit properly. When a lord or lady picks you, you'd better not have your armour like that because oddly enough Lord Upperclassman ain't going to like being deafened by your squeaky armour!" The Sergeant stood in front of Morris, a whole head higher than him and bent down, his head hovering just in front of Morris'. Standing up straight, the Sergeant started to talk again.
    "Morris aside. We've now got to give you your deployments. That's right, we're telling you which wall you're guarding now boys!" And the Sergeant began the list. Kyle stopped paying attention. He was at the end of the line and everyone else came before him. As they were listed off, they disappeared, until the only one left was Kyle.
    "Son, you're the top of the lot. So you've got a special position." He said. "You're going straight to the nobility. No half assed positions for you! You're going to have to wait a while until a noble comes and picks you up. They like having guards, makes 'em feel safe. And they like good ones, and that's what you are. You're the best out of this lot. At ease son."
    "Thank you, sir." Kyle replied, shifting into a more comfortable way of standing. Staying at attention too long was uncomfortable. "How long will I have to wait?"
    "As long as it takes for someone to notice you." Internally, Kyle groaned. I might have to wait here a while. Such is my duty...

Later, in his dorm as he waited he put out letters to the noble families of Bertram and Strive as well as Lelande, but he had already been rejected by house Lelande. So that's one of the three I've sent. Hopefully one of the other two will fancy having me along. The letter he wrote was simple, but effective. It was the same for both families, the sole difference being the name,

Dear Lord or Lady Bertram/Strive,

I have recently completed my military training and have been selected to be the Household Guard to a noble house.The way the system
    works is that since I am of the standard program but have been found to be of sufficient skill, I have no prearranged assignment. I offer
    you my service as your loyal guardsman until such a time as you would release me from your service. I am happy to servein any position
    that you would require of me, I merely ask that you consider what I have sent and take me on as an additional guard to add to your
    force.

Yours sincerely,

Kyle Ryogi

"I hope at least one of them accepts me, otherwise I could be here a while without anything."
    Kyle said to himself after the letters were sent. And then, he started his wait.

[​IMG]

"When the reign of Kings seems to be coming to an end, one cannot help but wonder what is to come next for the realm all we peoples and nobles reside in. So carefully nurtured in our cradle of Despotism and Tyranny, fair as perhaps it may be, how does one proceed when the old Kings and rulers die and therefore the figurehead, the staple piece of the system’s architecture is gone? How does one break the present cycle that we live in and proceed to instate a new order, or a new system capable of surpassing in all ways that which precedes it?"

"Perfect." Osric decided, having penned in the first part of his treatise. 'A Short Account on the Current Affairs of Politics and the Proposed Reaction to the Affairs of the Instatement of a New King and the New Order ' it was entitled, the latest of many of Osric's writings on politics from his point of view as a well learned, well connected nobleman. Eric Lelande had not installed loyalty to the present King in his son particularly so, but he had managed to educate him on the affairs of the realm and that of the deep interconnecting politics that made allies and enemies across the political spectrum. It was common knowledge that Eric was well connected, and through Eric, Osric. Osric more so, particularly amongst the younger lords and ladies. He decided quickly in his career that it was far preferable to make allies of the ones coming into power, so that those connections translated to the future when the next generation overtook the old. A modus operandi that he took everywhere he went, no matter the situation. It was always, invariably, unfailingly appropriate. After all, why befriend a dying man and preserve his reign, when you could simply wait and in the meantime, befriend his son?

Pushing the chair back, wincing at the unbearable grating sound the chair made as it scraped along the wooden floor of his study. The fire some meters to his left cast complex shadows, only kept from confusing his writing by the presence of several of his writing candles, burning slowly down. He stood up and organised his papers across his sizeable desk, putting his quill in the inkwell and pushing that back against the back of the desk next to one of several large stacks of books as he shuffled sheets around his desk, each movement deliberate. He hummed along to his favourite piece of music, hearing the delicate stringwork echo through his head as he worked away, organising. His desk organised perfectly once again, he took a final look.

"Hmph. Insolent page." He muttered, noting a corner of paper sticking out awkwardly from the middle of one of the piles. He picked up the stack and pulled out the offending sheet by half to give it a glance. "Looks as if it's an early musing on the relationship between houses. From the look of the page... Six months out of date. So, what is the rest of this pile?" Osric flipped through the stack of paper, removing from it the useful sheets. By the end of his search, five minutes had gone by and a stack of useless pages only a little smaller than it started was there, next to a few leaves of useful writings. Taking the useless stack, he walked over and tossed it, sheet by sheet, into the fire. He watched with a small, smug sense of satisfaction as it burned away, scrunching up in the hit and disintegrating to black.

Finally, he left the study, everything neatly organised again. He walked down the stairs, boots clicking along the steps as he descended into the uppermost floor of the house. He demanded the study at the top from his father who really wasn't going to argue with him, because it was far easier to give Osric the room rather than have to go through the tiresome process of opposing his reasoning as to why he should have it over him. He passed by the trophies on the wall with barely a glance at their splendour, nor the brazen grandeur of the house. It was nothing special. It was his home. He deserved nothing less. He gave each of the more expensive pieces a cursory glance just to ensure the servants were doing their jobs before returning his walk of apathy down to the lounge where he decided he would read, then await news. New of what exactly he didn't know yet- Just that he awaited news. Maybe one of his house runners had some information on these rumours of revolution going around the peasantry. It was always good to keep an eye on what the common folk said. They were a very effective intelligence service. Especially when you paid off the right people.

Descending the grand spiral stairs into the immense main foyer of the Lelande estate, he continued his stately stride until he reached their lounge. Expansive and rich, contrasting reds and blacks trimmed with gold and silver all lit by the iron wall brackets and the huge fireplace at the back of the room, bearing the old shield of the house above it, the twin Lelande blades above it. They would belong to him one day, assuming his brother Stevan was so kind as to get out of the line of succession. Osric briefly considered an accident for Stevan, but that seemed too obvious. It was never good to be too conspicuous with one's assassinations. The authorities and his family caught on very quickly. After all, they found out what Stevan did to Gareth only a couple of days after Osric did, and he caught on the next day. But what did one do? Give Osric the title of head of the house by removing Stevan from the line? Osric smiled slightly, knowing full well his father's opinion on that idea. Eric had very particular ideas for his heirs. Not that Osric ever listened. That he suspected, was the problem. Eric's plans were so dull. No ambition.

"Jeremiah!" Osric called, hands folded patiently behind his back. The man was a good servant, if a little slow at times. How long does this dullard plan to take? A few moments later, a black suited man entered, his head bowed. He had a big grey moustache and grey combed back hair.
    "Yes, my lord?" He asked, bowing fully. Osric turned around and looked at him piercingly. No, he was quick enough. Not today Jeremiah.
    "Fetch the musicians. And my runners. I await news. I'll have a few pieces whilst I wait." Osric ordered, lounging in his preferred seat, back up against the leather cushions propped up by his right arm. Right foot on the ground and his left on the seat. He gestured with his left hand. "Go on, it's not difficult."

A few moments later, the aforementioned musicians arrived. They set up their instruments with professional speed and care. Osric watched, bored. Finally, they were finished and he smiled.
    "My favourite piece. Go on, you know the one." And thus they began to play.

5. GarrettFinch Hollow Bastion Committee

Scott's pov:

Scott baner.png

Scott awoke and got out of bed. Time to see the town he thought.
    He ate a nice breakfast and when he was done he went out off the room.
    Time to see the day and town he thought.
    He walked out of the hotel he stayed in for the night.
    the night before he did not get much information. King, revaluation not new it was the same story every day for the past few weeks.
    He walked the streets of the city of Corvus not doing anything in particular. He was not sure what to do.
    Perhaps he could get some information from the people in town.
    He herd that there was a castle in town perhaps he should go there.
    Looking around he spotted a large castle in the distance.
    The castle screemed Wealth and power.
    One must have a large sum of money and a large infuence to live there.
    He continued to walk hoping something of interest would happen. His life was of wonder what he should do next.
    He walked by a bar on his way to the castle. It looked like a jammed place best not go in there he thought and continued on his way.
    There was a king that was to be around perhaps he should see him. The large castle was in the distance. He was not sure what do about the rumors about the king and vex.
    Were they true or a lie. He could only wate to find out. The revolution could become a big thing. hum.

Flint's pov:

Flint Mrtlin (old).png

Flint got out off bed and his old man face on.
    He food some food and ate it somewhat fast so that he was not spotted.
    He was now in an inn bar.
    He been sitting there since they opened and he was starting to get bord.
    The information he gathered was somewhat helpful.
    Being old had its advantages people would just tell him things just because they thought he would not remember five minutes later.
    He played into this stereo type.
    It was easy to get people what you wanted them to when they thought you were old.
    Nothing interesting never happened here he thought.
    He watched people go in and out of the place.
    He sat far way in the perfect spot to see everything.
    No one that entered got his intress yet.
    Just then a man entered into the inn taking a seat at a table in the corner. How currous he thought.

Sara's pov:

Sara banner.png

Sara was shy and not really up to do anything. The town was somewhat big.
    She was so hungry not have any for a day and a half now was getting to her. She was not sure what to do.
    She not knowing what to do just walked on.
    The smell of food was starting to bother her.
    maybe she could find a way to get a free meal some how.
    She found a inn would not hurt to go in.
    she desided that she would try her luck getting free food here.
    She walked in and food a set. She was so poor so she sat there not ordering anything.

Ooc: on a side note i am totally not riping off a show with flint nope totally did not know about it until yesterday
    Thanks al

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. Frosch Traverse Town Homebody

Trotting briskly on a blue roan mare, Franco made his way through the city of Corvus thoughtfully, not really noticing the townsfolk as they scurried out of the way of his horse, hurling curses after him if they didn't realize he was a nobleman. If Franco had heard them however, he wouldn't have really blamed them. Most people of means had some sort of entourage, and a herald as well if they were rich enough. Franco had servants and guards on hand as well, but they just didn't seem to understand his mannerisms. He would go out at all hours of the day, without prior notice given, and he wouldn't wait one moment for his servants to even saddle their own horses. It didn't help that there was little interaction between Franco and his subordinates. They were simple townspeople, raised simply and unused to someone as spontaneous as Franco. What he really needed was someone who he was in constant contact with, or could read his mind.

Due to these apparent limitations of his entourage, Franco was now making his way alone, and said subordinates were no doubt searching desperately through the streets to find him for the third time that day. He was too preoccupied to think about them though. His father was constantly inquiring as to his progress with the royal family, sometimes sending up to five letters a week. And each time Franco would either have to reply with the news that no progress had been made, or not bother resonding at all. The latter was Franco's most common method of dealing with the issue lately, and thankfully the flow of letters coming from the Bertram estate had eased as well.

Franco wouldn't have minded if the flow hadn't abated, if it had meant replies to his other letters. Nyla hadn't replied at all since he'd arrived here. She was probably busy on one of her missions, but still, Franco missed hearing from her. It was only when he thought of her that he realized how lonely he really was.
    Finally he arrived at his destination. It was one of the several barracks that dotted Corvus, this one in particular housing infantry and some training grounds. Inside, Franco hoped, was someone who could be a suitable companion for him, someone who could cope with his sudden impulses and ideas. Someone who wasn't an uneducated peasant trained to simply follow orders, but could also formulate their own plans of action and even anticipate what Franco wanted of them. A rare thing to find, but such people were out there. Nyla was a prime example of that.

Jumping off his horse just in front of the doors to the barracks, Franco threw the reigns to the startled guardsmen standing by them, pausing only to flip the man a gold coin before throwing open the doors without uttering a word to him. It wasn't really neccessary, either way the guardsman would have to hold the reigns.
    Striding quickly through the hallways of the barracks, Franco grabbed the first person that crossed his path.
    “Kyle Ryogi. Bring me to him,” he demanded. “Don't just stand there with your mouth hanging open,” he remonstrated when he didn't react immediately, holding up a coin to get the man's attention. “Bring me to Kyle, and you get this. Simple, right?”
    The man nodded wordlessly, and turned around to lead Franco, bringing him down several halls and up a short flight of stairs before presenting Franco to what he assumed was Kyle's dorm room. Franco handed the man the promised gold coin and shooed him away.
    “I'd tell you not to drink it all, but we both know it's pointless,” he called after him. Without a further thought for his guide, Franco then burst into the dorm room, taking a few steps in before stopping to examine who he assumed was Kyle. This man was... interesting. His feelings were more complex than the usual guardsman that Franco encountered on a regular basis.
    “Kyle Ryogi, correct?” he asked him, pacing around the room. “I am Lord Bertram. I received a letter from you twenty minutes ago requesting a position in my retinue. I assume your services are still available, yes?”

[​IMG]
    In a dark, dusty inn room, somewhere in the city of Corvus, Alec turned in his bed, murmuring incomprehensibly to himself, before settling back down to sleep. He had just arrived after a three day journey, and he was exhausted. He'd probably sleep away the entire day, as a matter of fact. Maybe get up for some food in the evening, and then go back to sleep. Yeah, he'd take things easy today...
    Something more sinister had other plans, however. It lurked in the shadows, peering out at Alec with glowing eyes. It was watching him, stalking, preparing to make a fatal blow against the sleeping man. It moved towards him slowly, silently, but relentlessly, getting closer and closer with each passing moment. It slid through the shadows up onto the top of the closet near the bed, peering down at the sleeping figure below it. It gathered itself up, preparing to strike, and... pounced.

A tiny bundle of fur bounced off Alec's face, landing in a heap beside him. The creature struggled to untangle itself from the sheets, but when it had it was revealed to be a small black kitten. Koko was her name, and she was bored. And a little hungry. But mostly bored.
    She crept up right in front of Alec's face and sat.
    “Alec?” No response. “Aaaaleeeec,” she called out.
    “Mmm,” was the muffled response.
    “Alec, are you awake?” He didn't respond this time either. “I'm bored. And this room is small. And I'm hungry. And you've been asleep for six hours.” The sleeping man made no indication that he had heard or cared about these statements. “Alec?”
    “What?” he muttered.
    “I said, I'm bored. Lets go do something,” whined Koko.
    Alec sighed, knowing that he had to address her in some way for the sake of his own sanity, and tried to reason with the little cat in front of him. “Koko, I've just had a really long journey, with barely any rest. I just need a little more sleep, and then we'll go downstairs to eat. Deal?”
    Koko shook her head. “Alec, you don't understand,” she explained seriously. “I'm bored.
    Alec shifted in his bed, preparing to roll over. “Look, you're a magical talking cat. You of all people should be able to amuse yourself.”
    "So you mean like, talk to people and scare the pants off of them?"
    Alec gave her a look. "Do that, and you'll be held down in a bucket to drown before you can explain you're not a witch. Not that it would make much of a difference." And with that he turned his back on her and settled back to sleep, effectively ending the conversation.
    Koko could have squirmed over to the other side of the bed and continued her assault on Alec's better nature, but she didn't feel up to the challenge. Besides, she manipulated him emotionally on a daily basis, and that got old sometimes. She'd have to find something else to do.

The door and window of the small room they had rented were locked, but that didn't faze Koko. She merely walked up to the window, and using the magic power that she had been born with and didn't fully understand, she was able to shift through it, making her body intangible and thereby finding herself on the outside of the locked window.
    Peering down at the milling townspeople below, she amused herself by showering the dust that had collected on the windowsill down on them. She was however keeping an eye out for a particular person. Some man named Vex, according to Alec. She didn't know what he looked like at all, however, but it was something to do to pass the time, no matter how futile it was. Besides, she was a kitten. Logic and reasoning weren't really her forte.
    Alec however, now he was smart. Alec could find them warm places to sleep and tasty food to eat. Alec could keep them out of danger, or keep it away from her if it was impossible to avoid.
    She began to drift off to sleep as she thought these happy thoughts. Alec was kind, and the only person Koko had ever really known. And as far as she was concerned, he was the only person she wanted to know.

7. cstar stay away from my waifu

[​IMG]

Tick tock tick tock.

Canna's mission today was taking far too long for her liking. But perhaps it was the fact she was split into three that she was as impatient as she was. Constantly shifting focus between the three she was just to get something of interest to happen by one perspective.

Canna Main, the one that generally did not disappear, was sitting in the main square of Corvus. Main wore an elegant dress which allowed her to not stand out as a peasant amongst the nobles. Though she was a peasant by these noble's standards, at least they wouldn't know unless she conversed with them.

Canna Dos was inside her target's house, dressed up as one of the servants and cleaning based on her "master's" commands. It didn't require communication or very much thought, she worked like a well oiled machine and showed no indication of anything funny going on.

Canna Trois was hiding in the attic of her target's house, searching for the information that would result in her payment. She had been on this mission for two days and it would be done today, but it was a matter of finding the papers required of her. She didn't know why her party needed these papers she just knew she would get quite a hefty sum for it.

Main kept watch from the outside to see if anything horrible went from or if guards were called. Dos was the distraction. Trois was the information extractor. This is exactly why people paid her for her work, they didn't understand how she managed to do the job of three or more people so well.

Main took a bite of a scoop of avocado from her bag and shook her head and fixed her hair as she attempted to detach from the main so the other two, preferably Trois could focus more. It resulted in the red-haired agent looking almost as if she was exhausted or drained.

Trois searched and found a box with a lock and key, she came prepared and pulled out a couple of lockpicks and began her work. After a few minutes of tampering with the lock she opened it up and scanned through a bunch of hidden documents. When she found what she was looking for, she read it as thoroughly as she could and wrote down important numbers and keywords on her arm in ink.

Trois then began to seal everything back up and begin to take her leave. Dos did their best to wrap up and leave, while Main sat there in the square seeming like a relatively-happy but obviously tired girl.

8. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

Kyle was waiting, lying down on his bed in his fairly small room, devoid of detail and suchlike as was the way of the default rooms provided by the King's budget for the trainee guardsman. Suddenly, a man burst through the door and Kyle immediately sat up, eyes wide in surprised as he brushed down his uniform. Lord Bertram! How is this even possible! I only just sent that letter! Hurriedly, Kyle got up off his bed, straightened down his jacket and knelt down in front of Lord Bertram, fist over his heart.
    "Yes, my lord!" Kyle answered, looking down at the ground as he was trained to. "My services are available, if you choose to accept them my lord!" Kyle kept his expression neutral and rigidly held his position where he was, kneeling. Hopefully I make a good first impression, and then I can work under his employ. A job, and so soon! I'll be able to do my duty. Vex... Don't trifle with Lord Bertram. If you do... I'll be waiting and I swear I'll avenge my father for what you made me do! I'll make you proud father, a loyal kingsman... A son you can be proud of! If not in life... Then in the beyond.

[​IMG]

Run, keep running. With a bit of luck I'll lose them, she thought to herself as Kari raced across a low rooftop with the city guards running after her below. Adrenaline pumped through her bloodstream as she rushed, leaping across a gap and keeping up the run. So glad my brother and I were adventurous children! She was far outpacing them, because as the guards just discovered it was hard to run in full armour. She smirked to herself as she made her easy getaway. She enjoyed times like this, nothing but the wind rushing through her hair as she did what she enjoyed the most- Screwing with the nobility and getting away with it. This time, another noble casualty. That poor lord had no idea what was coming to him. Neither did his pretty hussy of a girlfriend who was in the other room. The look on her face when she saw her prospective husband leaking blood over those nice white sheets was absolutely priceless. They deserved nothing else. That family was worthless. Her personal enemies. The Karstadt family was troublesome and supposedly quite well liked here in Corvus. She wasn't sure which one exactly was painting the sheets red at the moment, but it didn't matter did it? They were all the same weren't they?

She hopped off the roof and landed with graceful precision. Thanks Gareth. I'm glad you could teach me how to do all this before... She shook her head and ripped the memory of that night from her mind again. Not again. Not again. Once was enough! She heard the clanking of armour coming around the corner, and did a double take. She heard shouting in the distance, drawing near her. Glancing from side to side, she looked for an escape route. Which alley? An armoured individual came around the corner to her left and that made her mind up quickly. Racing down an alley to the left, she turned a couple of corners hearing the angry cursing of her pursuer as she made her bid for freedom. However. her pursuer was a little more persistent than she expected and had managed to catch up to her despite her irregular winding route. He probably knows this area well. Kari faced him in the small courtyard between houses as wooden windows opened to look at what was happening. Curious, excited and scared, adults and children alike were watching the spectacle unfolding right then.

"Little *****." The guard panted, his sword drawn as Kari unslung her axe. She gave it an experimental swing towards the guard who simply stepped back to avoid it. "Brave aren't ya? Killing a lord and now trying to kill me? You're not getting away with this one!"
    "Wanna bet on that one?" She taunted as they circled. "Just you here. All your friends got lost. You're in my turf now." The guard actually laughed at her.
    "I've been running these streets for years. Think I can't handle a gutter rat like you?" He shot back. All the mirth left her face and she looked at him very seriously.
    "Do most gutter rats kill this many nobles and get away with it?" She asked, before launching her attack. The guard parried it with seeming ease, countering her swing with a most serious slice at her throat. This one means business. They usually underestimate me because of who I am. She danced backwards against the wall of a house and the people leaning out of the window shied back. The guard approached slowly, and when he was sure he had the kill he moved in. She kicked off the wall, spinning around him and swinging the axe into the back of his legs. With a satisfying crack the axe when through his left knee, causing him to fall on one leg. Eyes hard, she brought the weapon around and spinning it around her head, Kari planted the axe square into his neck sending him sprawling to the ground as his own heartbeat finished him off for her. She wiped the axehead on her trousers, ragged and bloodstained as they were.
    "They can be fought, even in their own city! Don't back down, don't let them win!" Kari spoke, before putting her axe on her back in its leather sling and took off down the streets to lay low for a while. And get some new clothes because these just won't do any more, they're ragged by my standards!

9. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

The young prince sat in his room, looking rather bored. He seemed to be unable to find anything to do with himself lately. He looked around at his surroundings. He had a fairly nice room, but for royalty it was extremely modest and plain. It seemed like it would be the room of lesser nobility. Far from the heir to the throne. However, that was just the way Quinn liked it. He didn't think overly highly of his status. In fact, he wished he were closer to the common citizens. The closest thing to that was his friend Sasha, the servant girl who'd been born into her line of work. Outside of her, he'd been forced to socialize with all the other young lords and ladies, who he found unimaginably dull. Speaking of, she entered the room, and bowed at his feet.

As she did every day, she informed him of his lunch being prepared in the great dining hall. "Come now Sasha, there's no need to be so formal around me. Sometimes it feels like you ought to be the royal out of us." Quinn said with a friendly chuckle. He stood from his chair and gave a casual stretch. "I'll eat in the dining hall. Come on, why don't you join me for lunch?" The prince said with a sincere smile. He'd never really thought of Sasha as a servant. More like a friend. He didn't really like eating alone, so it wasn't uncommon he invited her to eat with him.

The guard, hired to protect the Strive family, stood watch as he normally did when the young girl named Thea ran up to him excited, and offered him a drawing of her and her family. It reminded him of the drawing of him she'd done a few days ago. The girl was accurate if nothing else. Balthar gave a warm laugh at her gift. He knelt down to her height and rustled the girl's hair. "Thank you Thea. I'll be sure to hang this on my refrigerator when i return home." He stopped for a moment, making a confused face. What was a refrigerator? He'd never heard of such a thing. Why would one hang a child's drawing on one? Food for thought. In any case, Thea's parents had called her into the next room, and the girl merrily skipped away. Her tutor... Right. He stood up back to his full height and resumed his guardly duties of...guarding...yeah...wow his life was boring.

[​IMG]
    Among the musicians performing for Osric, there was an unfamiliar face. Although, not much of it could be seen through the thick golden hair draped over his eyes. From what could be seen however, the man could only be described as beautiful. Not handsome, simply beautiful. However, what drew attention to him was not his appearance, but his music. The sound to it was simply glorious. It was an orchestra all in itself. From his fingers, light began to stream and wave, dancing to the waves of music. Wrapping themselves around the room, they complimented the red and gold exquisitely. The display of lights was grand, masterfully put on by the bard. Once the song had ended, Taliesin stepped forward. Hopefully his display of entertainment was suitable for a lord such as Osric, and would get him the opportunity to speak with him. That was the real reason he was here, among the musicians.

10. Mysty Unknown

The morning had come and a little girl was skipping around, avoiding the puddles that were scattered around. She was humming a song and twirling around. She laughed as she hopped a puddle then looked backwards to a tall man in blue. "Eldwidge! Eldwidge! I jumped a BIG puddle, it was da size of da ocean!"

The man behind her stood, looking around the parts of the city. Things here were down, very down. The people looked uncomfortable and angry almost. The royals must have been doing something dreadful to create such a time for them to live in. He kept a hand on his sword, making sure nobody thought twice about kidnapping the girl he had watched over. She was young an naive about the world, always trying to find the good in it. How little she knew, and how much he desired everyone could have that mentality. He heard her cries of excitement. He smiled as the girl's imagination was in full fruition. "That is quite the feat, my lady. Very few can jump such a vast amount of water."

"Yep! I'm da best jumpour in da worwd." She ran around him then held her hands up, indicated she wanted to be carried.

Eldridge picked up the girl and placed her on his shoulders. "That you are, my lady. Be careful up there. I wouldn't want you to fly away."

"No Eldwidge. Cawl me Zita. Zita."

"As you wish, Zita. How about we visit the castle and see how large it is. Maybe there will even be a dragon." He played along with the girl, enjoying himself.

"I would wuv that! I'll take down dat dragon with my magic!"

He chuckled and went on his way. "I'm most certain you would succeed. Most certain indeed."

11. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

Osric lay there, listening to the music, appreciating the subtleties of the pieces and the delicate care the players paid to each and every note. He would occasionally move his hands along with the music, an imitation of the fine way a conductor might direct their orchestra, but Osric was no such craftsman of music. The musicians knew well enough that he merely did it for show and as a display of appreciation, rather than for an actual ambition to direct. As the playing went on, he began to notice something. Something... Melodic, perfect. Perfection of music. Everything had flaws, tiny ones, big ones but nothing was flawless. His eyes once closed now opened as he searched for the source of the perfect harmony. It wasn't hard to pick out. A man stood there, unfamiliar to him. The rest of the players were old hands at this, but this was a new man and he, now he was talent! Golden hair, long. He looks to style himself as a fair elven bard of the stories. Well he pulls it off, that's for sure. Moreover, the room danced. Lights streamed from the bard's fingers and fluttered about the room, flowing with the motion of the songs each colours a perfect contrast to the room as a whole. It was an exquisite performance that lay before him and Osric smiled. I'll have you in my employ and then with a bit of time we shall dazzle the courts you and I. The performances of the Lelandes will be beyond beautiful, like none seen before! Even if it is a little magically assisted. Oh don't think I haven't caught on, although I suspect you're banking on me not caring all that much. Well you played your cards well my friend. When the music was finished, he felt a little pang of disappointment. It was such a beautiful piece, it was a shame it had to end so soon. However, he wanted a word with this new man. It seemed however, that the man wanted to speak with him too. How bold.
    "Out, all of you." Osric ordered, motioning for everyone to leave. He waited a couple of seconds and then pointed at the golden headed one. "Not you. I'd like to speak with you, master of your craft."

"I must say, I appreciate a man of daring. Surely you are, as you performed a magical display in front of a lord of the land. However, you're in luck. Many would have you executed. I'm not one of them. I sense we could have a great many successes together, you and I. Besides, I appreciate a good musician and you may well be the best I've ever met."
    Osric sat upright and looked at him.

"Come then master bard, what may I call you? And what business might you seek here with Osric Lelande?"

12. Glen Returned from the dead

[​IMG]
    Oscar decided to ignore Samuel's question about whether or not he said something. He didn't like lying to his little brother, but he didn't like talking about his feelings to others either. It was something he'd never liked, and it made himself feel very uncomfortable when he did so. The second question, however, was easier for him to answer. Although, it still wasn't an easy one to respond to. What was an older brother to tell his younger sibling? 'Oh yeah, we'll probably be running forever. Unless I kill the pursuers, but then more will be after us, so yeah endless running, I hope you've kept in shape'? Oscar was a naturally serious person as well as a protective older brother, and yet here he was taking Samuel with him from place to place, putting him in arguably more danger than he would be normally.

"We won't be running forever, but we'll have to keep on the move all the same" he replied. He didn't like it, but he didn't have to. So long as it kept him safe, that was all that mattered; Oscar could protect himself. "I'd say a few weeks tops, then everything will blow over. For now, just relax and take it easy. Pretty sure we lost them between here and Balmar, it'll take them weeks to find us" the boy added, disliking the foul taste his words left in his mouth after speaking. While he may have lost their pursuers, they were skilled at tracking people, and they would surely find them soon.

A loud knock on the door was heard, followed by a rough voice yelling to open up and give themselves up quietly. Yeah, because so far I've been so willing to co-operate, Oscar thought to himself. He stood up and grabbed his sword, the only thing he tended to carry with him from place to place. "Or hours. Damn they're persistent. Not the first time we've been caught though. You ready to get out of here and make some trackers look stupid?" Oscar asked, his wording making it seem like it was a joke but his tone deadly serious.

[​IMG]
    As Vex's drink arrived, he accepted it and paid for it once again, before glancing in Xera's direction. "As long as my wallet holds up, the bartender keeps pouring the drinks, and my patience holds itself together. Probably won't be long though, I hate sitting still" Vex responded. He stopped drinking and placed his mug on the bar in front of him. Turning to look at Precious, he found himself smirking a little bit. A tough guy, thinking he was intimidating him? Damn, he hadn't had one of those in a while. "If I was startin' some kinda rebellion, I wouldn't just go around shouting it out, would I? Didn't you hear what I told the bartender? I don't know nothin' about a rebellion. Now, are you going to keep trying to stir up trouble and make me spill my drink, or will I finally get a day without one of you assholes accusing me of some huge conspiracy?" Vex asked, his patience thinning already.

13. Mysty Unknown

[​IMG]
    Oh my. Quite the rift raft had appeared in front of him. This man was intimidating to say the least... to an ordinary man that is. Well to say the least, Precious began to work his magic, if you know what I mean. His saboteur powers began to course through the room, causing a light fatigue. Given that everyone was already drinking, this was much easier to do.

He stared down at Vex, "Do you not know who I am? I am Commandant, leader of the Royal Knights, one of the most
    powerful people you will ever meet! Now darlin', if you are going to go and get angry at me, that only increases my suspicions about you being some rebel. I know our lovely kingdom would be quite charmed to have any rebel scoffed away. And my my, language. Such a fowl tone to use. Do you kiss your mother with those succulent lips, I sure hope not. Now, how about we try that again. Perhaps if you answer correctly, I'll even buy you and your lady friend a drink. Of course, go the other way, and maybe there won't be much of a lady friend left." He glanced over at her, his whip readied in his hand.

14. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    It was about an hour before Thea was out of her lesson and soon running to visit her father. She did this every day after her lesson, she would sit in his office and tell him about how it went, and what happened with it and such like that. Although Thea knew it was polite to knock before entering her fathers office today it slipped the eight year olds mind. "Hi daddy. Guess what?" Thea paused for a moment observing her fathers concerned look. "Whats wrong daddy?" She asked curiously as she folded her arms behind her back and cocked her head to the side.

Thea's father looked up at his beautiful young daughter who stood on the other side of the desk from hi. "Nothing dear, just a letter requesting employment, nothing to concerning." Her father explained. They could use another guard or two around the house, Balthar was good at his job and all but the house was big, Thea ran wild and being so closely related to the King there was always a high chance of danger. However at the same time hiring people was difficult due to the fear of magic, and his daughters excessively strong magic. He had no idea where the magic came from but despite it he wasn't going to let it ruin his daughters life. Changing the subject he put the note to the side, deciding against hiring another guard and looked at his daughter. "So what where you going to tell me? How did your lesson go."

"Watch this!" Thea shouted at her father impressed with herself. She summoned a white flame in her hand and then touched it to a sheet of paper on her fathers desk, which to his dismay didn't burn. "I learned how to control the white fire a little bit. I can only hold a small amount in my hand and nothing else with it, but it is something, right daddy?" Thea beamed as she spoke. This was a huge leap for her because she could never keep focused to keep the white flame a white flame. Instead she had a habit of getting distracted and it going to its normal state, a red flame, or going out of control as a blue flame, wild fire.

"Very good dear. I am impressed, you are improving more everyday." Her father said with a chuckle and a clap of his hands. "Now then I have some more work to attend to, why don't you run off and play?"

"Okay daddy. See you at dinner. Love you!" Thea shouted back as she already took off running. Perhaps Balthar would play with her now. She ran straight back to where she saw him last and sure enough he was still standing there... guarding... like usual. "Balthar! Will you play with me now? Pwease?" Thea did her best to sound as cute as possible to up her chances of him actually playing with her. "Oh yeah look what I can do!" Thea exclaimed grabbing the picture that she drew him. Thea proceeded to try to repeat the exercise that she had shown her father, but the excitement of playing distracted Thea and her white flames quickly turned red, reducing the picture to a pile of ashes. Not long after Thea realized what she had done and tears started streaming down her faces as she started to wail. "I am sorry Balthar I... I ... I just to make you a nice picture... I am sorry... I didn't mean to. I swear. Please don't be mad... I will draw you another one later... promise." Thea let out between sobs, how much of what was said was actually understandable? That was anyone's guess. But she was truly sorry for destroying the picture.

[​IMG]
    Xera rolled her eyes at Vex as he commented on either running out of money or losing patients. Typical Vex. Xera was eager to get to another job, she could use the money from it, bad. Her wallet probably wasn't as dry as Vex's was tonight but she had a few of her fathers debts to pay off before her and her family got in trouble and a rainy day fund in case she got in too much trouble would be nice as well. Being from a dirt poor family Xera appreciated any little amount of money she could get.

The attention was caught when the man talking o Vex not only told him who he was but also threatened her. Xera's hand rested on the hilt of her sword now. She didn't give a damn who he was, he wasn't going to threaten her and think he could get away with it. She wouldn't make a move now but soon. If he came any closer to her she wouldn't be scared to draw her sword. For now she eyed Vex to see his next move.

[​IMG]
    Sasha rose to her feet as Quinn began to spoke. He always spoke to her like she was more than a lowly servant girl. Sasha had accepted her role and didn't mind it too much but even still sometimes when she looked at Quinn she didn't see the Prince but just a normal person and it was nice. However she could not drop the formal thing because it was required of her and if anyone saw her not treating him with the utmost respect she could get in a lot of trouble. "You know I can't do that your highness, it isn't appropriate for a servant girl." Sasha responded to the comment on the formal thing. He then requested her to join him for lunch. She knew better than to accept his request but her stomach growled and she felt bad for denying the Prince his request once again like she had many other times he had asked. "As you wish, your majesty." Sasha said with a small bow as she backed out of the room. Soon enough she turned around and led them to the dining hall.

Sasha waited for Quinn to take a seat first before quietly slipping into a seat of her own, awkwardly adjusting her skirt no knowing how she should behave at a lunch with the prince. Of course she wouldn't speak unless spoken to, that one was obvious, however other mannerisms she wasn't as well versed in. Generally the servants sat on their own area eating and there wasn't many manners there.

[​IMG]
    Samuel took some comfort in the fact that his brother assured him that they had a few weeks before anyone would find them. It would be nice to stay in once place more than a day or two. It had been a lot of running for the last little while with little sleep. With that knowledge Samuel rolled back over and closed his eyes trying to get a little sleep, something that was hard to come by.

It wasn't long into his rest that a banging on the door was heard followed by yelling. Just great, that was what they needed. Samuel had already thought ahead and rigged the window to make it easy to open and slip out from. Samuel didn't say a word but instead nodded at his brother as he slipped on his belt and slipped out the window. The boys small frame allowed him to do this with ease. Once outside Samuel kept light on his feat as he snuck around to the front of the building and up into a tree across the street. Climbing a tree keeping it as quiet as he could and using the wind rustling the leaves to mask the sound he got to a good vantage point. Samuel used one of his throwing starts to flash light into a small crack in the front window to signal his brother to her ready. Next thing their pursuers knew several throwing stars in a row where thrown hitting each of them in the ankle. Samuel wasn't too keen on death and tried to avoid killing people. With them now on the ground Oscar had a chance to get out. As soon as he was out they could make a run for it. Samuel felt too tired to run but he would anyways, he didn't have a choice, he never did.

15. Frosch Traverse Town Homebody

Franco examined the young man knelt before him for a few moments. Such determination, he was pleased to find. Kyle might just turn out to be a better catch than Franco had counted on.

“Yes, you are accepted. At least for the moment, until we both decide whether we can work long-term together. Now, get off your knees.”
    Franco paced around to room for a few moments, casually glancing over its contents without much interest. Really he was giving Kyle a chance to set himself on his feet, and make his first impressions of Franco.
    After a few moments, Franco turned back to face Kyle, making eye contact.
    “I see you're well trained in dealing with the nobility,” referring to the salute and kneeling. “I am glad to see that your training extends so far, and one of the vainer members of nobility would hire you just for that, but with me things will be different. Of course, you will salute in public when needs be,” he explained further, “but in private it won't be necessary, you'll have other uses for your limbs anyway. As for bending the knee, you bow when I do. That means not to the flamboyant peacocks that call themselves aristocrats, and not to me either. You and I bow only to the king, and to my father.”
    Confident that the issue of etiquette had been sufficiently resolved, he continued onto a more important subject. “Speaking of family, you aren't being employed merely by me. By accepting this position, you are being taken on by the Bertram Family, and will be under its command. I just happen to be its most senior representation here in Corvus, of course. The most important thing for you to understand, however, is that anyone under the employ of the Family, is part of the Family.” Franco locked eyes with Kyle, speaking carefully now. “And family is about loyalty. We don't just want your sword arm. We don't just want a facade of ceremonial bows and salutes. We want people who we can trust, and that will trust us.”
    Franco looked away again, vaguely studying the objects on the desk nearby. “The perk of that last part is that we will provide for you and your loved ones, we'll protect you from whoever may wish you harm, and we most certainly won't turn you over to another power. Any power,” he stressed.

Franco figured that here was a good place to halt his introduction. He resumed his pacing around the room, giving Kyle a moment to process what had been said and what had been offered. Of course, there was much more that they had to discuss, in regards to what Kyle's actual duties would be, but that could wait for now. First Franco had to determine whether Kyle was prepared to devote himself to a Family that before now hadn't interacted with him in a meaningful way. It was a big commitment, but Franco could see potential in the soldier. He wanted Kyle to take the job.
    Franco pulled a seat over to him and sat back in it.
    “Like I said before, this a temporary position at first. We will both want to examine what we have to offer, and how it benefits our out interests. And furthermore, people have left the Family amicably before. You leaving would be much the same, if you found you couldn't work with me. Any questions?”
    He left the conversation open for Kyle to continue, to voice any of his own concerns or opinions. Franco meanwhile was focusing the soldier's emotional state. While talking himself, it was hard to notice the other persons more subtle changes in mood, and while they usually didn't impact much on that moment in time directly, Franco actually found them quite fascinating. He felt that they helped him construct a more complex picture of a person. Sometimes he would discover the little things that were their pet peeves, or what fears they suppressed. And occasionally that information was quite valuable.

With a groan, Alec rolled over with a groan, rubbing his eyes. He was rested, sure enough, but his muscles still ached from that damned three day journey by horse. Grimacing as he eased himself off the bed, he pulled on his clothes quickly, looking around for for his little companion.

“Koko?” he called. “Where are you, you little scamp?” When there was no response, he wasn't really surprised. The kitten, intent on establishing herself as the dominant in their partnership, regularly launched ambushes and sneak attacks on Alec. As far as he knew, right now she was lurking in the shadows somewhere, biding her time.
    “Koko, we're going to eat now, so lets skip the games till later, OK?” Koko didn't respond, seemingly intent on inflicting bodily harm on Alec. “I'll get you a full plate of sausages if you come out right now,” he promised. Still no response, strangely, as Koko was near to fanaticism in her love for those succulent pieces of pork.
    Alec frowned, peering around the room at the possible hiding spots the cat could have concealed herself. Finally he spotted her through the grimy glass of the window on the windowsill outside, fast asleep. He carefully opened the window, which thankfully opened inwards, and scooped the cat up in his arms.
    He poked her awake.
    “Hey, cat, we're going to eat now.”
    Koko opened her eyes sleepily, opening her mouth wide in a long cat yawn. “Sausages. You said you'd get them for me.”
    “So you actually could hear me,” he frowned. “You were just pretending to be asleep.”
    Stretching in his arms and giving out another yawn, she leaped agilely onto his shoulder. “I was asleep. But I'm also a magical talking cat, so I know things other cats wouldn't.”
    “Yeah, well, shut your trap now,” Alec warned her, opening the door to their room. “Other people don't like it when cats talk.”
    Koko laid her ears back grumpily, but she didn't talk back. They were in public now, and she knew that if she did say anything she would get Alec into big trouble. She certainly didn't want to cause any trouble for him.
    [​IMG]
    ~Later~​

Tummy full and resting contentedly at the top of a flight of stairs, Koko looked curiously around at the abandoned house that Alec had broken them into. It was dusty and unfurnished, with a few broken floor boards and holes in the wall, but at one point it had probably been quite a nice home. Probably the property of a merchant who had gone out of business.
    Down on the ground floor, Alec was talking to the other four Alec's who lived inside him. It was Alec's power, something Koko didn't really understand, but she didn't really understand her own power either, so she wasn't really interested. Her ears perked up as Alec seemed to finish what he was saying.

“Come back here when you've found him, or this time tomorrow. I'll be waiting here.” The other four Alec's nodded, and prepared to depart. “Leave from different parts of the house, and at five minute intervals,” the real Alec finished.
    Seeing the other four finally leave, Koko trotted down the stairs and leapt up onto the real Alec's shoulder. She didn't really like the other four, if she was honest. They unnerved her, so she kept her distance. “Where are they going?” she asked.
    “They're going to inquire about this Vex person. One will go to the slums, another will see if he's hiding with one of the nobility, and the other two will try to cover the rest of the town.”
    “And what will we do?”
    “We'll stay here till tomorrow.” Noticing the disapproval in her face, he tried to satisfy her. “We'll get plenty to eat, I promise. And you'll get to explore this entire house.”
    Koko shook her head. “This is going to be boring. I have needs and places to see, I can't be holed up here all day!”
    Alec sighed, unsure of what to tell his furry partner. Then, he had an idea. It shouldn't be too dangerous, and he would be nearby if something happened... “Hey, Koko, how would you like to go on a mission?”
    Her ears perked up. “A mission?”
    “Yeah. Here, come over here,” he said, leading her over to a window. “You see the sign for the bar down there?” She nodded. “Well, I want you to go and see if Vex is in there. Just stay out of sight, come right back if you feel scared, and for the love of god, don't talk. I'll be nearby if you get into trouble as well.”
    Koko frowned, nervous about taking on an actual mission by herself, but also a little excited. Alec was actually entrusting her with one of his missions for the first time, and it would keep her from getting bored as well. She nodded to Alec. “I'll do it.”
    He opened the window, and she hopped out onto the street. “Stay safe now, ok?” Alec said to her quietly, with a slightly concerned look on his face. Koko just nodded, and set off down the street to the bar.
    It wasn't too far, and the trip was mostly uneventful. She managed to get through the doors by trailing closely on the heels of someone entering it. Nobody seemed to notice her as she slinked along the walls and in under a table, hiding behind one of the legs.
    From this position she looked around the room, not in a particularly systematic manner, but her attention was soon drawn by three people in particular. One of them had a whip out, and he talked funny. The girl was grasping her sword like she was about to use it. The other man was turned away from her and partially concealed by another drinker in front of her.
    And strangely, she felt a little drained, as if she'd just run really far. That was kind of strange, she thought vaguely in the back of her mind.

16. GarrettFinch Hollow Bastion Committee

Scott's pov:

Scott baner.png

He reached the castle. The castle was huge and kind of intimidating. The castle spoke power and money. He stood there admiring the castle for a few moments.
    Then he noticed to men standing by the entrance to the Castle.
    "Here to see the king?" he asked
    if the king was only taking a few people this may become a problem.

17. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

"Thank you, my lord." Kyle said as Bertram said he was accepted. Wait what? Long term? Until we decide if we can work together long term? This is... This isn't how it normally goes at all! Lord Bertram... He's different to the rest of them somehow. I didn't expect any noble to be like this! Having been ordered to stand, Kyle did so, getting to his feet and watching his potential future employer. I have a feeling that this man is not at all like the rest of them. He's far too... Respectful. Not a condescending respect either. He seems... Genuine. I like that- No! He's a noble you shouldn't presume to judge! And yet... I do like him. He's been He had no idea about what was to come next from Franco. The man as far as Kyle was concerned, was full of surprises already.

“I see you're well trained in dealing with the nobility. I am glad to see that your training extends so far, and one of the vainer members of nobility would hire you just for that, but with me things will be different. Of course, you will salute in public when needs be, but in private it won't be necessary, you'll have other uses for your limbs anyway. As for bending the knee, you bow when I do. That means not to the flamboyant peacocks that call themselves aristocrats, and not to me either. You and I bow only to the king, and to my father.” Kyle almost recoiled in surprises, but managed to control himself. Who IS this man? He's nothing like I expected him to do be at all! Describing the other nobles as flamboyant peacocks... He sees the world differently to them. He sees them for something closer to the truth... I'd agree with him honestly. It's not as if his opinion clashes with my own really is it? We both respect the King, and honestly I see some of the aristocracy the same way... Vex taught me that much. And he wasn't wrong. But he was about Lord Bertram. Not every noble is like that. Lord Bertram is reasonable. I'd be happy to bow to his father. I've never expected respect like this, or such honesty from my employer yet here... Here I'm getting it.
    "Ye- Yes my lord. I can certainly work with that. It fits my beliefs about the world so... I'd be happy with that." Kyle stuttered, unsure of how to actually answer such an explanation of his position. Respected... He's raising me up to something more than I could ever be somewhere else... Father, you'd want me to take this, wouldn't you? But Franco had more to say.

“Speaking of family, you aren't being employed merely by me. By accepting this position, you are being taken on by the Bertram Family, and will be under its command. I just happen to be its most senior representation here in Corvus, of course. The most important thing for you to understand, however, is that anyone under the employ of the Family, is part of the Family.” Kyle's eyes widened in shock. A part of the family? A noble family? Joining them, being part of them? Is this happening? I have to follow the words of this family and their orders, and I can be part of it? I'd be insane not to do this! It's strange, is this some kind of test? No, it can't be. I feel like, I feel like this is genuine. Like he's being serious with me. He found Lord Bertram's gaze at that point almost intimidating, awarding that to his state of utter shock at what he heard from the man he had just begged employment from. This was big, and he knew it. This was opportunity, an opportunity like no other. He worked for the King now to respect his father's memory, to try in his own small way to stop this rumoured revolution run by his old mentor (for Vex taught Kyle much, even though it was barely directly. Those lessons were now for the most part gone, because they betrayed his father and that guilt was overpowering for the boy). He didn't have to do this from a sense of duty... It could be genuine. He could like this man, and the rest of them were they like him. He could fight, because he had something to fight for! The very prospect awakened the thing inside him, but Kyle immediately quenched it. I can't let this escape yet! He can't know, not now, it might ruin everything! He put a hand behind his back feigning an itch to hide the blue glow so it wasn't seen before he crushed it. Once the energy around his hand disappeared, he brought it around to his side again.

“The perk of that last part is that we will provide for you and your loved ones, we'll protect you from whoever may wish you harm, and we most certainly won't turn you over to another power. Any power.” Mother... You can be safe! Lord Bertram can protect you! And what's more... My magic... They won't hate me for it. They won't turn me over for execution or anything. So long as they know they can trust me, I have their protection. That's it. My mind is made up. I can't pass this by. Mother, I may have lost you a husband, but I can protect you like this! It won't make everything better, and even though you don't know what happened exactly... It makes me feel like I'm slowly atoning. It's a start.

“Like I said before, this a temporary position at first. We will both want to examine what we have to offer, and how it benefits our out interests. And furthermore, people have left the Family amicably before. You leaving would be much the same, if you found you couldn't work with me. Any questions?” Temporary position? Why would I even want a temporary position? This is too good! This is too good to leave and if it doesn't work I have a guaranteed way out? I can work with this. I just want to know what will happen with mother, and maybe some other things, but I have a feeling I know the answer. My mind is made up! I'm as good as theirs! Kyle was ecstatic. He was young still, only 18 and this was still so, so much to him. He could have a position and security for a long time if he worked with this man, and the arrangements were more reasonable than he could ever have expected. Just the way that the man told Kyle everything, outlining every detail and the clauses, it was impossible not to take this. It was the best offer of a job for a nobleman he'd ever heard!

"The only thing I have to confirm is that my mother will be protected? Her, and my younger brother, but that's it. You can protect them?" Kyle tried to muster all the composure he could, but it was so very hard right now. He had just been given the chance to arguably the best job in the realm that a man like him could take. It protected him, his secrets and his mother and brother all in one. "Then I'm your man Lord Bertram! What you've offered me here it's... It's more than I could ever have asked for from anyone, so thank you. I'd be honoured to be of service to the Bertram family. There's one matter I'd like to discuss with you elsewhere. It's private and well, it's important. I swear to you I'm your man, and that's why I want to tell you about this. It's something about me, something important. Something that might be able to help you and the family."

18. GarrettFinch Hollow Bastion Committee

Sara's pov:

Sara banner.png

She walked into a bar and boy she regretted it as soon as she entered.
    one of the people had a whip out and was probably looking for a fight. Then there was another girl was grasping her sword like she was about to use it.
    What did I get myself into she thought.

19. Frosch Traverse Town Homebody

Even without powers such as Franco's, the eagerness in Kyle was readily apparent. Franco allowed himself a small smile. It was good to find someone so appreciative of everything that what was on offer. This man will prove to be invaluable to us, I believe. A man intelligent enough to entrust with important matters, and grateful enough not to betray our trust. We shall see in due time if my intuition is correct.

"The only thing I have to confirm is that my mother will be protected? Her, and my younger brother, but that's it. You can protect them? Then I'm your man Lord Bertram! What you've offered me here it's... It's more than I could ever have asked for from anyone, so thank you. I'd be honoured to be of service to the Bertram family. There's one matter I'd like to discuss with you elsewhere. It's private and well, it's important. I swear to you I'm your man, and that's why I want to tell you about this. It's something about me, something important. Something that might be able to help you and the family."

Franco nodded in response to Kyle's first question. “Yes, your family will fall under our care as well. I can arrange for her to be sent south to one of the Bertram estates. She would have to undertake a few minor tasks around a farm, perhaps by feeding the chickens or doing some laundry, but a small, comfortable cottage and suitable nourishment shall be provided. For your brother, we could even see what special skills he possesses, and perhaps set him up as an apprentice or guardsman. But of course,” he paused, “you may not like the idea of your family also being drawn into the Bertram's employ, or you might prefer if they were here in Corvus. In that case I can give you a small sum of money and you can make arrangements for them. I won't be offended, whatever you choose.”
    Standing up, Franco prepared to end the discussion. “This important matter, we'll discuss it at my home. I also have a few more things I'd like to tell you without the danger of prying ears. In the meantime, you'll want to pack up your things and say a few goodbyes I imagine. Come to my house when you've finished, and I'll have someone prepare a room for you. By the way, do you have a horse? You'll need one if you're to keep up with me. Buy yourself a good one, I'll cover the expense.” Franco looked thoughtfully for a moment, checking that he had said everything he needed to. “I think that's all then. Any last comments?”
    He stood by the door, ready to leave, but he was still turned towards Kyle, allowing him to question things further. Franco wasn't particularly in a rush to leave, but there wasn't much more he had to discuss here and now. What he had left to say could wait.

20. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

"Th- thank you my lord. I'm sure my mother would wish to repay your kindness so, that would be good. My brother is too young to work though my lord, so I'm afraid he won't be able to contribute yet. But when he's older, I'm sure he will be able to. To be honest, I'd rather they were in your family's employ. It would make me feel better to know that you were taking care of them as you saw best. I am inexperienced in that sense." Kyle said. He knew that Franco wanted to discuss it later, but he already had his mind made up. He knew that this would be for the best for his family. He trusted Lord Bertram. He wanted to trust Lord Bertram. "That is all my lord. Thank you for this offer, and your kindness. It means a lot to me. I expected to be given a miserable position under a lord that didn't respect me, but you're not that. You're a good man, and for that I'm thankful. I believe I can work with you happily. I shall purchase a horse now." Kyle bowed out of respect to him, and then left the room to head to the stables nearby. He knew of a decent horse merchant who trained his beasts well. That would suit him best, he thought. Sure enough, the merchant in question had a fairly good steed. It was fast and had a good amount of endurance. That was all Kyle needed. Taking it and telling the merchant to take it up with the Bertram family, he rode the horse back to the barracks where he met with Franco again.
    "I have my horse my lord. I'm ready to leave when you are."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.