No Thanks Require proper grammar/spelling in the RP Arenas...

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Jade Rhade, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ratchet Bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong!

I don't think you can actually enforce spelling as this could be counted as discrimination due to conditions that effect the function and perceptions of the brain. It is a very grey area between setting such absolute levels and being reported for discrimination (over here it comes under the Disability Discrimination Act I believe).

On a slight point I have read a lot of people moaning that they cannot find a RP good enough join and yet none of them has taken the initiative until now to really create one with a sample post.

By the way, I am typing this post with only one hand due to a dislocated shoulder so it is possible to type reasonably if you take time and concentrate hard enough without dyslexia or a similar condition. Text talk is sloppy and in many cases unreadable. I dislike it in User Names as well but some people seem to find this acceptable. It's a case of different things for different people. The hardest (I would say impossible) job is to find a happy medium. You can please some people some of the time but not all the people all of the time, so a compromise is probably the best option. How about a subsection for 'casual RPs' which the less hard core RPers could post their threads in and another for the more serious 'hard-core' RPers? That might work as they need not cross paths then.

2. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    Yeah, if RP's are crap, make your own, like soush did, seriously guys go join it.

3. Repliku Chaser

The problem though with making your own RP where you would request the RP to be ran slower and with cognitive thought out posts etc and actually being in character instead of fandom things is that putting it in the regular section would make the RP get lost. The threads there change so much and people do answer them all the time with a lot of posts per day, so a slower ran RPG is going to always get lost off the main page or first 10 pages if you get what I mean.

This is why I suggested a possible 2nd section sub-Forum so that RPs that aren't the same run of the mill thing could have a chance to survive and not just die out because they can't even be found. Hope that makes more sense why I was suggesting it.

4. Mish smiley day!

I agree with your subforum idea. o:

5. Nymph of Destiny Chaser

I disagree with the idea, since the RPG arena is supposed to be like the Spam Zone, plus, not all of the users' first language is English...but I agree with Repliku's subforum idea. :)​

6. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

I smell a sub forum..........>_>

I'm all for it xD

7. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I agree completely! I don't role play any more but when I did it really annoyed me beyond words when people used russish n00b grammar.

8. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Psh, you can even get spell check installed in your internet browser with the right tool bar. It's a sign of laziness and in most cases appears to be a dis-appreciation to the art form in my opinion. It can't be helped unless each individual does their part. But seeing as no one has really bothered to in a very, very, very long time some of us can only set examples and hope that they inspire others to see the power of spelling and grammar in the use of language.

9. Repliku Chaser

Well then, perhaps a sub-forum would be the solution and others seem to like it. That way people don't have to mold to 'reform' but there can be RPs for others who do like better grammar and other pluses that come from other types of RP and we can find those RPs better.

10. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I have decided I do not like the idea of a sub forum for different "standards" of RP, that would encourage division IMO, I see nothing wrong with those who wish for a higher standard of RP to simply post it in the existing section. IMO anyway, but I do not like the idea of having so "you RPers post here and you others post there"​

11. Laurence_Fox Chaser

So this is still going on huh?

With the way the RP Arena has been let to fall to rubbish and I'm not pointing fingers that it's anyone's fault here. It would be hard to enforce ANY kind of policy there from what I have witnessed. As far as I see it, they prefer sub-standard grammar and substandard posts consisting of a minimum of 2 words.

Which brings me to a tangent, if in the rest of the forum, even the SZ, are we made to post a minimum of 6 words then RP shouldn't be different. I think if we can get them posting a minimum(which I find ridiculous for rp posts) of 6 words, THEN we can move onto better things.

I just find it sad that some rpers are content with how things are now. I always like knowing I typed up a well thought out post that allows ample opportunity for the others involved to respond to.

12. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Oh I fully agree with you, it has been left to get into a state, I have been itching to get my hands on it for a while XD though i am not accusing anyone of neglect ^^ the other sections are at the end of the day more in need of monitering.

I also agree that it should be 6 words at least, hmm I have actually added a rule stating at least a paragraph for all RP posts, but I think that might be asking for a bit too much so soon :/

Those who are happy with the state of it are in the minority, though I must just say, those who are happy with it are the ones who show the most dedication, they RP for the fun of it and the enjoyment they get from it. My only issue is that I don't want to detract too much from the fun element of it for them.

13. Repliku Chaser

Well, without one, that really makes it harder to find RPs some of the rest of us would like which would be more like 'stories' than just line skits. It would be more difficult to find the threads etc. I think it's a real issue since I would love to RP but there's no way to find the sort of RPs I'm interested in with all of the more skit formed RPGs in there that some of us just can't keep up with. I may try my luck at forming a 'KH' rpg here since I run one in a chat group that goes pretty well, but I know it's just going to get lost in there, as will Soush's, and just look at all the thought he put into his! This is why I think they should be separated because there really is a difference in types of RP people enjoy.

14. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I really doubt that Soush's is going to get lost. I had the extra sections added to help tidy it up a bit so that it wouldn't be as chaotic as it currently is, I am doing Uni assignments right now so I haven't had the time to finish moving them all yet. If you create an RP that is suited to your tastes then you can ensure that it doesn't get lost, despite appearances there are not actually 4376524397562 million RPs that are active in there.

I do not want members seperated by ability. I am very much aware that there is a difference in the types of RP that peopel enjoy, but I see no reason why they cannot all be in the same general section. Division through ability is too strict and I am not going to support that. I am sorry.

15. Repliku Chaser

It's not division through ability. It's division by the genre type of RPG it is. There's already two places in there, so I don't see why a third couldn't be done. And I've tried playing in the RPG section in two RPGs so I do know what I'm saying here. Sometimes the RP i was on was on page 3 and it was fairly active. One that users post once or twice a day on is going to really get lost amidst that. I guess I see your point but feel this would solve a lot of problems because the sub-forum would be having the rpgs and there would be a smaller amount of them. Ah well though, if it doesn't pass.

16. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Well what is your idea for the subforum then? As in what genre?

17. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

We have 5 sub forums in there now.

18. Repliku Chaser

Well something like 'Storytelling' RPGs which would fill the gap of slower RPGs where people write out paragraphs and all and the RPGs move like a book. That's the general idea there that I think separates them from the ordinary 'skit' done RPGs which just have the short sentences and all and a loose scene depiction. What Soush did is exactly the kind of genre I mean and if you look at it, it certainly looks different than 99 percent of the RPGs in the regular section. With their own areas, I think more of these RPGs would happen, and would do one myself too, and there does seem some interest. It's not to separate the RPGs based on 'this is crap' and 'this is cool' etc, because we all have opinions there. It is just to separate them on the sort of RPG being done, which is more of a creative writing thing that some people love to do but gets lost in the other stuff. Hope that makes more sense.

19. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Exactly my point, though I would be interested in knowing what genre Repliku is thinking of because if it is possible I will look into it. I want all the RPers to be happy, but the staff cannot allow everything.

Hmmm well in all honesty, there are RP threads in there already which do follow the paragraph story layout. I don't like that idea dude, it sounds like having a section for long post RPs and a section for short post RPs and that IMO is pointless.

20. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

I think he means slower paced more detailed RPs instead of the usual "Sora goes to hell liek we gotta help him get out liek omg" kind of RP with no backstory and no actual goal in sight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.