recovering from surgery

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by gintasthebest, May 24, 2012.

1. gintasthebest Traverse Town Homebody

so i had my gallbladder taken out on tuesday night and went home yesterday afternoon. it was done by laparoscopy. it hurts more recovering then it did from the pain before the surgery. it hurts to sit, stand, or walk and even move sometimes. if i burp/cough like i'm supposed to, it hurts big time. ive had a pillow on my stomach since a little after waking up in the recovery room. putting pressure on it is the only thing helping. the stupid pain pills barely do a thing for me. it even seems like they make the pain worse

any advice and what not is much appreciated. and i already know it's supposed to get better each day but so far it's not happening. i also think this might be hereditary because my grandmother and mom both have had to have their gallbladders removed. i just had to have it done at a younger age (i'm 17 btw with an EXTREMELY low pain tolerance)

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Sorry to hear you're in pain.

Now, you said your mom and grandma also had this. Obviously, they're not in pain still. Do they remember how long the surgery pain lasted for them?

3. gintasthebest Traverse Town Homebody

well my grandmother passed away about 2 years ago but i think she had it out like.... 30 years ago or something. i never even knew she had to have it done until last year when i started having the gallbladder pains but of course she had been dead for a little over a year at that point. my mom had hers out about 2 1/2 years ago and says it'll get better each day and that the first few days are the worst. but with her she said her pains were in her chest and didnt have shoulder pain from the gas. i had the pain on my side right by where my gallbladder was and keep getting pain in my shoulder from the as that has to come out but it's not like i can make myself burp so i'm stuck waiting for it to happen on it's own which is torture

my mom is on her way home from work now cuz i threw up so it's hurting a bit more now then before. i hope throwing up 2 days after a surgery isn't too bad

4. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Depending on how they took it out, yeah, you're going to feel a little tender. It takes some time for the muscle wall to stitch itself up, so you'll feel sore because that's your body telling you "Knock it off, I wanna rest." As for recovery, it depends. Mom had hers taken out when my younger brother was still in diapers, and was on the floor changing him the next day, and this was back in the old days where the procedure was a bit more invasive than it can be these days. But she says (as well as I, who has yet to have hers out and probably will due to her meds at some point) that you'll probably be sore for no more than two weeks.

As for the throwing up, don't worry. The gallbladder was your body's primary source of something called bile. Now that it's out, your body is still trying to adjust and figure out where else it can find the bile. It will stop. But later on down the road you might feel uncomfy or a little sick to your stomach if you eat something with too much fat in it. That's the one complaint my mom has, and hers has been out for some 19 years now.

What else have the doctors told you to do? Just so I can toss a few more suggestions at ya.

/for the record, I am not a doctor, but am related to one, so everything I know about health and medicine comes from her.

5. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

Being ever the escapist, I suggest that you try to distract yourself from the pain (and remember to take the meds when needed, even if it hurts it could be much much worse). Try watching a tv-show or a movie you really enjoy, or read a good book. Something really engaging, that makes you think, that completely draws you into it's world. That always helps me get my mind away from pain and stuff like that...

6. DarknessKingdom The Kingpin of the TV

Consult your doctor and give him/her a call. Sebas-chan and Janson have both given sound advice but ultimately we, as forum members, cannot appropriately diagnose your problem through the Internet alone. If your vomiting continues to be an issue, your doctor could possibly recommend some anti-emetic drugs that will help your nausea and projectile vomiting. You also should increase your fluid uptake, drinking plenty of water and/or tea as vomiting is very dehydrating (consult your doctor if your recovery from surgery is still an issue!​).