Film Ready Player One movie

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Sara, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Sara Tea Drinker

Anyone hyped? I'm slightly hyped, though seeing the last trailer... Not as much as I have a hope for it being great.

2. rheds Banned

Never heard about this movie until you mentioned it. So I looked it up and didn't even know that it was based on a book. I always go to my local bookstore and not once have I seen this book on the young adult fiction section.

3. Sara Tea Drinker

It’s an adult book due to some of the eh-heh... Discussions in it, including a REALLY adult scene (it’s not NC-17) just discussion of an adult-ish topic that I won't say what here, most is teen, but it does have adult moments so I would say older teens to adult because of a few moments.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  4. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

This movie made me angry. I got done reading the book a good two weeks before I saw the movie, and I really didn't care for the book. And when I got out of that theater, I was fuming because that movie should not be as good as it is. It's a freaking miracle.

As a movie on its own (as in not thinking about the source material), it's a fun roller coaster of a story. I really bought into the whole world of the OASIS and found myself rooting for the main characters to find the egg. It felt like a love letter to overall nerd culture without playing things too broadly. Really, my only big gripe with the movie is that a lot of events didn't flow into each other in the middle. Things happen, and the plot progresses, but there were a lot of times where things didn't lead into each other. And some of the stuff with Art3mis really felt played out, but I was willing to forgive it.

And the sequence with the second key is the worth the price of admission alone. Trust me on that.

5. SushiKey Destiny Islands Resident

Neh, not really. I tried to read the book, but the first chapter just seemed tenuous to try and read, so I just stopped from there. It was definitely kinda neat though, not something I'd consider reading full through. Will I see the movie? Probably not, never been a big movie person anyway.

6. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

It is easy to say this is one of my absolute favourite books! The first chapter is quite dry but it really gets into it when Parzival goes to find the first key which is probably second or third chapter. Any time I picked up the book, I made sure I had free time to just disappear into it, I could not put it down. I would describe it to people more as a reading experience than anything else. Anyway, so when I found out they were making a film I was over the moon! The years went by and we finally got trailers and with each trailer I questioned how close they were staying to the book. Long story short: the actual events of how they find the keys (and they completely ignored the gates in the film!) is totally different and a lot better in my opinion. Most of the plot is the same except completely ignoring the fact all the characters are after the same thing and they refuse to work together in the book!

I really enjoyed the book for what it was and would recommend it but it is different enough from the film to be able to enjoy both. The film is good but I just struggled with the fact they changed so much.