R.I.P my PS3

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by DarknessKingdom, Jun 10, 2012.

1. DarknessKingdom The Kingpin of the TV

The YLOD has at last claimed by launch PS3.

I shall always remember our time together. Goodnight sweet prince.

Now I can finally get that slim PS3 I've been waiting for. Now I get to play Red Dead Redemption and Arkham City from scratch again! :D

(But it also means that I have to do all the Challenges...and find all of the Riddler trophies from Arkham Asylum and City again. ****!)

2. jafar custom title

or just buy a wii u

3. Fork These violent delights have violent ends

I'm sorry to hear that :c
    My PS3 has been with me for four years now and it still hasn't given up on me...yet.
    You should have backed up your saves and **** >_>

4. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    Lot of electrical deaths lately, upgrading though makes the pain go away <3

5. Jube Formerly Chuck's

Considering just how UNLIKELY it is to get this I must say your lack of luck is a cosmic hilarity.

6. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

My condolences to you. Your PS3 will never be forgotten...

So did you get that new slim PS3 yet?

7. libregkd -

8. Saxima [screams geometrically]

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I hope it doesn't happen soon. :c

9. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I'll keep waiting for open source consoles to become standard so that we do not have to deal with this.

I am entirely convinced that they design them to expire and in that way as well. Where does the yellow light come from if it is not designed?

10. Misty gimme kiss

I am probably wrong but isn't it a sign of hard drive failure? Hard drives can be unreliable, I wouldn't blame Sony for that.

I have a fat PS3 and the slims are nice but I'm just fine with mine, hah. Though this does freak me out and make me want to backup my saves. :L

11. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

True, but they could definitely afford to make better systems. They wouldn't profit as much if they did, but they could.

I wanted an old one because they are backwards compatible. I want my PS2 games.

12. C This silence is mine

"Wouldn't profit as much as they did" You know that Sony sold the Ps3 at a loss for ages, right?

13. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Because they made bad business decisions. I very highly doubt there was a loss. I would have to see how much they spent on each one compared to what they sold for.

14. C This silence is mine

Regardless of bad business decisions, saying "They wouldn't profit as much as they did" is completely wrong. As it took them years to get any sort of profit from the Ps3.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746482p1.html

15. Agent.T Destiny Islands Resident

That England thingy place I've always lived in
    The yellow light is hardware failure...The most common thing to fail is the fan which causes the ps3 to overhet...sometimes it pops up when it gets overheated...Leave it overnight, f its still there in the morning...I'm sorry D:
    My vey first ps3 did this to me within 10 minutes of hving it running...I bought it second hand for £80...Shoulda known something was fishy xDD It ate my first game too...The company that sold it to me gave it back though~ and since mum knew id be disappointed she bought me a new slim 320 hard drive to make up for it ^_^ had it more than a yer, hasnt steered me wrong yet :3

16. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

They would have made even less money if their systems had little to no fail rate, because they would have sold fewer of them regardless of the price tag.

That was an extremely bad business decision on their part.

17. C This silence is mine

You cannot be sure wether or not they would make more or less money if the systems did not have the fail rate. Some people will rebuy the console, yeah, but a lot of those got it on the warranty. There is also the fact that a lot of people do not want a product that has a decently sized fail rate, so they have been losing out on potential customers. For all we know, they could have made more money had they not the fail rate. Nobody can tell for sure.

18. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

In a market where the fail rate of the system is not the worst in the market and the system is powerful, many developers will put games on that console. Once it becomes popular for developers, it will necessarily become popular for gamers who want those games.

It is possible, but think about it this way: if you could get everyone with enough money to buy your system, that would be a lot of money. But if they all bought one only and the systems were near perfect, then the company would go bankrupt. It would only have two options for making money. First, make a better system and sell that as well. Second, make the old one expire so that they have to buy more than one. Even if they make another, better system, all that they have do is not make it backwards compatible then they can still profit from making the system dispensable, so they will do both.

While you can argue that in the end the customer decides whether or not to buy, from a producer's perspective, creating constant income is better than a one-time purchase, no matter how much money the one-time purchase costs.

It gets a lot easier to increase your fail rate to a level that seems acceptable compared to another company, but when you have three big monopolies in console gaming and they have all of the games, you buy their systems regardless of fail rate unless there is a better option on the market.

19. libregkd -

20. Makaze Some kind of mercenary