Quote Bucket

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LARiA, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Plums Wakanda Forever

- John Green, Paper Towns and Looking For Alaska

2. Styx That's me inside your head.

"Courage isn't the lack of fear; it is acting in spite of it."
    - Mark Twain

3. Sacredlith Destiny Islands Resident

"We're all damaged in our own way."
    - JOHNNY DEPP

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave."
    - JOSEPH HALL

4. Styx That's me inside your head.

A quote that some of the more eloquent members here should keep in mind:

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    - Albert Einstein

5. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

"Astride of a grave and a difficult birth. Down in the hole, lingeringly, the grave-digger puts on the forceps. We have time to grow old. The air is full of our cries. But habit is a great deadener."
    — Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

6. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there; I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow,
    I am the diamond glints on snow,
    I am the sun on ripened grain,
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awaken in the morning’s hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circling flight.
    I am the soft star-shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry,
    I am not there; I did not die.

— Mary Elizabeth Frye

7. Mish smiley day!

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world" - Ludwig Wittgenstein

8. Soap Hollow Bastion Committee

These are few quotes that I have enjoyed reading over my years of playing the Call of Duty series.

9. C-Cody Moogle Assistant

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    -J.R.R Tolkien

"I know very little about acting. I'm just an incredibly gifted faker."
    -Robert Downey Jr.

10. Krowley Moderator

"Monsters are born to give me experience points!"
    - Elise

"You either die a Hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain."
    - Harvey Dent

11. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

The second one is from Harvey Dent.

'Where would we go, then, Skintick? We don't even know where we are. What realm is this? What world lies beyond this forest? Cousin, we have nowhere else to go.'
    'Nowhere, and anywhere. In the circumstances, Nimander, the former leads to the latter, like reaching a door everyone believes barred, locked tight, and lo, it opens wide at the touch. Nowhere and anywhere are states of mind. See this forest around us? Is it a barrier, or ten thousand paths leading into mystery and wonder? Whichever you decide, the forest itself remains unchanged. It does not transform to suit your decision.'
    'And where is the joke in that, cousin?'
    'Laugh or cry, simple states of mind.'
    'And?'
    Skintick glanced away, back toward the camp. 'I find Clip . . . amusing.'
    'Why does that not surprise me?'
    'He has created a vast, portentous moment, the moment when he finally stands face to face with the Son of Darkness. He hears martial music, the thunder of drums, or the howl of horns sweeping round the high, swaying tower where this fated meeting no doubt will occur. He sees fear in Anomander Rake's eyes, in answer to his own fury.'
    'Then he is a fool.'
    'Us young folk commonly are. We should tell him.'
    'Tell him what? That he is a fool?'
    Skintick's smile broadened briefly, then he met Nimander's eyes once more. 'Something more subtle, I should think.'
    'Such as?'
    'The forest does not change.'

— Toll the Hounds: The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Volume 8

“I have no right to call myself one who knows. I was one who seeks, and I still am, but I no longer seek in the stars or in books; I'm beginning to hear the teachings of my blood pulsing within me. My story isn't pleasant, it's not sweet and harmonious like the invented stories; it tastes of folly and bewilderment, of madness and dream, like the life of all people who no longer want to lie to themselves.â€
    ― Hermann Hesse

12. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

"Easiest way to turn defeat into a victory is to put on the enemy's uniform"
    — Number One, Alan Ford (comic book)

13. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

"Way why would you wonder about gophers in fit lines manned salespens can milk."
    — Makaze

14. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.
    ― Aleister Crowley

It is a fool's prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak.
    ― Neil Gaiman, Sandman 3:3:6

15. ButcherKnifeBetty Merlin's Housekeeper

"i never intended all this madness and no one really understood well how could they that all i ever wanted was to bring them something great. why does nothing ever turn out like it should. well what the heck i went and did my best and by god i really tasted something swell and for a moment why i even touched the sky..."
    -Jack Skellington, The Nightmare Before Christmas

16. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Good man, reviving this limping horse. Dead weight? I think not. Clop, clop.

"My New Year's Eve Toast: to all the devils, lusts, passions, greeds, envies, loves, hates, strange desires, enemies ghostly and real, the army of memories, which which I do battle - may they never give me peace. (New Year's Eve, 1947)" --Patricia Highsmith

17. Misty gimme kiss

“They did,” he said; and he remembered breakfasting alone, very awkwardly, with her father; who had died; and he had not written to Clarissa. But he had never got on well with old Parry, that querulous, weak-kneed old man, Clarissa’s father, Justin Parry.

“I often wish I’d got on better with your father,” he said.

“But he never liked anyone who—our friends,” said Clarissa; and could have bitten her tongue for thus reminding Peter that he had wanted to marry her.

Of course I did, thought Peter; it almost broke my heart, too, he thought; and was overcome with his own grief, which rose like a moon looked at from a terrace, ghastly beautiful with light from the sunken day. I was more unhappy than I’ve ever been since, he thought. And as if in truth he were sitting there on the terrace he edged a little towards Clarissa; put his hand out; raised it; let it fall. There above them it hung, that moon. She too seemed to be sitting with him on the terrace, in the moonlight.

“Herbet has it now,” she said. “I never go there now,” she said.

Then, just as happens on a terrace in the moonlight, when one person begins to feel ashamed that he is already bored, and yet as the other sits silent, very quiet, sadly looking at the moon, does not like to speak, moves his foot, clears his throat, notices some iron scroll on a table leg, stirs a leaf, but says nothing—so Peter Walsh did now. For why go back like this to the past? he thought. Why make him think of it again? Why make him suffer, when she had tortured him so infernally? Why?

"Do you remember the lake?” she said, in an abrupt voice, under the pressure of an emotion which caught her heart, made the muscles of her throat stiff, and contracted her lips in a spasm as she said “lake.” For she was a child, throwing bread to the ducks, between her parents, and at the same time, a grown woman coming to her parents who stood by the lake, holding her life in her arms which, as she neared them, grew larger and larger in her arms, until it became a whole life, a complete life, which she put down by them and said, “This is what I have made of it! This!” And what had she made of it? What, indeed? sitting there sewing this morning with Peter.

She looked at Peter Walsh; her look, passing through all that time and that emotion, reached him doubtfully; settled on him tearfully; and rose and fluttered away, as a bird touches a branch and rises and flutters away. Quite simply she wiped her eyes.
    -- Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

18. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

"There is never enough time to do or say what we would wish, the thing is to try and do what you can with the time that you have." -The Ghost of Christmas Present, the musical version of Scrooge.

19. Misty gimme kiss

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
    --Albert Camus

20. Plums Wakanda Forever

Doc Scratch, Homestuck