Quote Bucket

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LARiA, Apr 18, 2012.

1. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

For any snippets of text and the like that hold which you want to remember, are of some significance to you. If the quotee is known, it would be appreciated if you mentioned the name, following after the quote itself is fine. It will be interesting to glimpse into your interests, and you might perhaps garner interest in sharing their quotes.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allan Poe

"Our senses enable us to perceive only a minute portion of the outside world." -Nikola Tesla

"Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from the inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves. -Mitch Albom

"I feel like people treat me oddly, as if I were mentally insane and sometimes it rubs off on me and I think that I am mentally insane. Whenever I am interacting with people I always feel as if I'm a bit mentally ill." -backspace

The last is a quote from a user on another forum... It's stuck with me.

2. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

"Do you ever see old schoolmates in the street and think of them as they were, completely innocent? And having boarded this train of thought, do you then think of others that you grew up with, wondering how many are successful: rich, married, have children; and also of those who are junkies, whores, dead? Then you turn your attention to strangers. You look at old people and see them when they were younger: your parents' age, your age, as children, babies. And the reverse: you look at children, and imagine them when they are old and done. You go further and see them rotting in their graves. And then you consider your own mortality...

A mind is a terrible thing. I envy the ones who waste it."
    -Iabd

(from another forum, damn me)

3. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

“Admit it. You aren’t like them. You’re not even close. You may occasionally dress yourself up as one of them, watch the same mindless television shows as they do, maybe even eat the same fast food sometimes. But it seems that the more you try to fit in, the more you feel like an outsider, watching the “normal people†as they go about their automatic existences. For every time you say club passwords like “Have a nice day†and “Weather’s awful today, eh?â€, you yearn inside to say forbidden things like “Tell me something that makes you cry†or “What do you think deja vu is for?†Face it, you even want to talk to that girl in the elevator. But what if that girl in the elevator (and the balding man who walks past your cubicle at work) are thinking the same thing? Who knows what you might learn from taking a chance on conversation with a stranger? Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others.â€
    — Timothy Leary

4. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

"I begin to suspect," said Abe, "that you would like to be one of them."
    Poe laughed at the suggestion. "Is not our existence long and miserable enough?" he asked, laughing. "Who in God's name would seek to prolong it?"
    -(Abraham Lincoln and Edgar Allan Poe discussing Vampires; Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter)

5. Misty gimme kiss

I am sort of a book quote nerd. :v I have lots but I will try to limit it, hah. For the time being.
    “I was telling Allison she needed someone apocalyptic,” Lila said.

“Maybe she needs both,” the woman said. “An apocalyptic boy who draws.”

“Even with the right boy I’d wreck it,” I said. “I’d join the navy on impulse and sail off right when he needed me, or we’d have a baby and I’d accidentally put it in my purse. The right boys I always toss and the wrong ones I keep on top of me like paperweights. I know they’re the wrong boys and I just go to them.” I balanced my finger on the square of a napkin and moved it down the table like a barge. “I just go,” I said.
    -- Adverbs by Daniel Handler

Allison puts a hand on her stomach. She feels fat, but maybe it’s just her. Maybe she’s by herself. “Help me,” Allison says, but she is soft-spoken, and everyone she loves is so far away.
    -- Adverbs by Daniel Handler

He was, at that time, a remarkably fine young man, with a great deal of intelligence, spirit and brilliancy; and Anne an extremely pretty girl, with gentleness, modesty, taste, and feeling.—Half the sum of attraction, on either side, might have been enough, for he had nothing to do, and she had hardly any body to love; but the encounter of such lavish recommendations could not fail. They were gradually acquainted, and when acquainted, rapidly and deeply in love. It would be difficult to say which had seen highest perfection in the other, or which had been the happiest; she, in receiving his declarations and proposals, or he in having them accepted.
    -- Persuasion by Jane Austen

I have many many more but they're scattered in various notebooks. I am in the process of transcribing said notebooks, will post moar later~

6. Soap Hollow Bastion Committee

I have always been fond of this quote.

7. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

One of my all time favorite quotes.

8. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

"What can be considered human emotions? Surely not only lyricism, sadness, tragedy? Doesn't laughter also have a claim to that lofty title? I want to fight for the legitimate right of laughter in 'serious' music."

"The withering away of illusions is a long and dreary process, like a toothache. But you can pull out a tooth. Illusions, dead, continue to rot within us. And stink. And you can't escape them. I carry all of mine around with me."

"I always try to make myself as widely understood as possible, and if I don't succeed I consider it's my own fault."

— Dmitri Shostakovich

9. Shinichi Izumi Totally Pink and stuff

"You Wish To become free of fear?! Then strengthen your soul! Balance Good an evil!"

Death The Kid, Soul Eater Manga.

10. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Early slaves had leashes and chains, modern slaves have licenses and permits. The end result is the same if they catch you doing anything without them or get caught off the plantation.
    — Mika Otf Rasila

She who knows, does not speak. She who speaks, does not know. I do not know.
    — Dao Te Tsing (or spelled Tao Te Ching)

When we ask for the abolition of the state and its organs we are always told that we dream of a society composed of men better than they are in reality. But no; a thousand times, no. All we ask is that men should not be made worse than they are, by such institutions!
    — Peter Kropotkin

If you tried to doubt everything you would not get as far as doubting anything. The game of doubting itself presupposes certainty.
    — Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty, #115

Sanity is a madness put to good uses; waking life is a dream controlled.
    — George Santayana

All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born.
    — François Fénelon

To see the cage is to leave it.
    — Stephen Molyneux

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    — Oscar Wilde

The only creative thought one can have in an institution is how to get out.
    — Oscar Wilde

A true friend stabs you in the front.
    — Oscar Wilde

Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.
    — Oscar Wilde

Society exists only as a mental concept; in the real world there are only individuals.
    — Oscar Wilde

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
    — Oscar Wilde

Who, being loved, is poor?
    — Oscar Wilde

Only the shallow know themselves.
    — Oscar Wilde

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
    — Oscar Wilde

Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocrities.
    — Oscar Wilde

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
    — Oscar Wilde

11. Krowley Moderator

“Truth is a well-known pathological liar. It invariably turns out to be Fiction wearing a fancy frock. Self-proclaimed Fiction, on the other hand, is entirely honest. You can tell this, because it comes right out and says, "I'm a Liar," right there on the dust jacket.â€
    - Alan Moore

“I always felt that if I had super-power, I wouldn't immediately run out to the store and buy a costume.â€
    - Stan Lee

"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away"
    - Shing Xiong

"The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work."
    - Robert Frost

"Use the past as a guide for the future, not an excuse for not dealing with it."
    - Patricia Fripp

"Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure"
    - George E Woodberry

We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
    - Sam Keen

12. Noteworthy Merlin's Housekeeper

"Stay Gold, Ponyboy" -Johnny Cade, The Outsiders - SE Hinton

13. Shinichi Izumi Totally Pink and stuff

The world supplies enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

14. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

"Anger, grudges, dislike, negativity. I forgive as soon the other person repents because holding onto it further will only make me the bad guy."
    — Makaze

15. Mish smiley day!

Heh, funny you should quote that. My favourite poem was used in that book. I was going to post it when I first saw this thread, but I'm not sure it would fit in, with it being a poem and all. I'll post it anyway.. :L

Nature's first green is gold
    Her hardest hue to hold
    Her early leaf's a flower
    But only so an hour
    Then leaf subsides to leaf
    So Eden sank to grief
    So dawn goes down today
    Nothing gold can stay
    - Robert Frost

16. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

"If taking one hundred percent of one's labor is slavery, then at what percent is it not slavery?"
    — Unknown

17. Shinichi Izumi Totally Pink and stuff

"I'm Batman".
    -Batman

"That's what"
    -She

"Today you are you, this is truer that true, there is no one alive who is youer than you".

"You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut".

"Think and wonder, Wonder and think"

"Unless!"

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple".

"Oh, the things you can find if you don't stay behind"!

"Today i shall behave as if this is the day i will be remembered"

-Dr.Seuss

18. Misty gimme kiss

The two little girls and I crossed the Delaware River where George Washington had crossed it, the next morning. We went to the New York World’s Fair, saw what the past had been like, according to the Ford Motor Car Company and Walt Disney, saw what the future would be like, according to General Motors.

And I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep.

-- Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

It is about the tension between feeling hopeless but also feeling as if spiritual love is possible and there for you if you want it.
    -- Jamie Stewart on Dear God, I Hate Myself

She had an excellent heart; — her disposition was affectionate, and her feelings were strong, but she knew how to govern them. It was a knowledge which her mother had yet to learn; and which one of her sisters had resolved never to be taught.
    -- Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen

19. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

For any snippets of text, I said... this does not single out poetry, and I do not know why we'd yet to post any. Quotes may be from any form of media. So... you like Robert Frost?

A Considerable Speck

(Microscopic)

A speck that would have been beneath my sight
    On any but a paper sheet so white
    Set off across what I had written there.
    And I had idly poised my pen in air
    To stop it with a period of ink
    When something strange about it made me think,
    This was no dust speck by my breathing blown,
    But unmistakably a living mite
    With inclinations it could call its own.
    It paused as with suspicion of my pen,
    And then came racing wildly on again
    To where my manuscript was not yet dry;
    Then paused again and either drank or smelt--
    With loathing, for again it turned to fly.
    Plainly with an intelligence I dealt.
    It seemed too tiny to have room for feet,
    Yet must have had a set of them complete
    To express how much it didn't want to die.
    It ran with terror and with cunning crept.
    It faltered: I could see it hesitate;
    Then in the middle of the open sheet
    Cower down in desperation to accept
    Whatever I accorded it of fate.
    I have none of the tenderer-than-thou
    Collectivistic regimenting love
    With which the modern world is being swept.
    But this poor microscopic item now!
    Since it was nothing I knew evil of
    I let it lie there till I hope it slept.

I have a mind myself and recognize
    Mind when I meet with it in any guise
    No one can know how glad I am to find
    On any sheet the least display of mind.

20. Captain America Merlin's Housekeeper