Purity Ring - Another Eternity

Discussion in 'Music' started by Antidote, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Antidote Façade

[​IMG]

Out March 3rd

1. Heartsigh
    2. Bodyache
    3. push pull
    4. Repetition
    5. Stranger Than Earth
    6. Begin Again
    7. Dust Hymn
    8. Flood on the Floor
    9. Sea Castle
    10. Stillness in Woe

(@Misty *SCREAMS* our prayers have been answered!!)

They have a lot to live up to with Shrines but I think they'll outdo themselves. The songs released so far are amazing.

GET INTO THEM

2. Misty gimme kiss

Excited! I'm on vacation rn so I haven't had a chance to listen to the new track they released but a follow-up to Shrines is definitely one of my most anticipated albums. Really pumped to hear what they turn out.

3. Antidote Façade

Ahh Misty it's so good! 2 tracks and I'm already in love with it. The production seems to be a bit more squeaky clean but it's still their sound!

Also the lyrics don't seem to be as morbid so far but personally that's something I loved about the songs from Shrines, it made you wonder wtf she was singing about lol ;c

4. Misty gimme kiss

I'm not surprised the production value would go up given that it's their sophomore album, I have faith that it'll still sound like them -- though, I am having nightmarish flashbacks to the overproduced second Paramore album. Will have to listen soon, honestly I could do it now with my headphones but I kinda want to wait until I have my nice speakers and my sub. :D

Oooh I hope the lyrics are still as abstract as Shrines, obviously change is fine but there's a very poetic and evocative quality to many of the songs that I really, really adored. Much of it is nonsense (the majority of the song titles are mashed up words), but somehow that allows you to feel what they're saying more so than hear it explicitly. Occasionally they seem to use lyrics that are more so about the rhythm and the flow rather than the evident meaning of the words and I really enjoy that -- though there's still a lot to find and interpret in the their lyrics. Probably my favorite lyricist at the moment (and, I suspect, for some time) is Joanna Newsom and she experiments similarly; her lyrics are often fantastical (on Ys in particular, Have One On Me is a bit easier at times), flowing, even verbose, and there's so rarely a clear meaning; it's more about the feeling and the listeners' interpretation than some clear message she's portraying. For me, Purity Ring does something similar -- I hope they don't go too far over to the other side, but I'm sure I'll enjoy anything they put out.

Time will tell, though -- the cover is substantially 'lighter' than Shrines, so perhaps it's a growth of some kind, a more positive direction.

5. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

The Push Pull music video kinda looks like the game over screen for KH.

But yeah, these singles seems very promising. Push Pull takes its chorus's melody in odd and unexpected directions that takes the ear pleasantly off guard. I'm loving it.

Begin Again is very somber and creepy, which is great, because Purity Ring is great with making dark atmospheric music that are also almost paranoid at times. It makes their brand of music stick out pretty well.

6. Misty gimme kiss

Just listened to push pull and begin again... again. push pull I was digging less than I recall, there's something very heavy (not in a good way) and flat about the beat (I'm not a musician I don't know how to describe these things lol). Still a nice track but not destined to be my favorite, I don't think. I do love the 'I crept up in you and I wouldn't let go' lyric, though. begin again felt much more expansive than push pull and generally felt more my style. Both songs definitely feel a bit cleaner than anything on Shrines, won't make any larger judgments than that though since I've obviously yet to hear the entire album.

I gave Shrines another listen to today as well and was pleased to realize it's not nearly as dark as I had remember! Not to say that it being dark would be something bad, but it did come as a surprise -- perhaps it's because my favorite songs from it are the heavier tracks (Grandloves and Belispeak are my go-tos, and I'm not sure I'll ever get over Obedear), or because I listened to Shrines primarily during kind of a weird time in my life? I'm not sure. These sound more the route of Fineshrine -- which is totally fine, no pun intended -- but I'm hoping we'll get a nice mix from the album all the same.

To tide us all over, I sincerely hope we've all heard Purity Ring's cover of Grammy by Soulja Boy. The beat coming in at 0:29 gives me life.

7. Misty gimme kiss

Finally downloaded the album, been listening to it for the past few hours -- definitely going to be rocking this for a while.

Overall I'm incredibly pleased, it's another phenomenal release from Purity Ring and a great follow-up to Shrines. The first three tracks had me a bit dubious -- I still really haven't warmed up to Push Pull -- but Repetition pulled me and I love everything beyond it. I think the album opens very light and airy, then adapts the sort of heavier (in a good way) sound I expect from Purity Ring. I know I expressed concern about the lyrics previously but I'm really digging them as well. They actually talked a bit about their lyrics on reddit:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comme...y_ring_a_future_pop_duo_from_edmonton/cp32s1h
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comme...y_ring_a_future_pop_duo_from_edmonton/cp32j3p
    Really interesting stuff and Another Eternity definitely retains the mishmash of ethereal and visceral quality found on Shrines.

Favorite tracks right now are Repetition, Begin Again, Stillness in Woe, and Flood on the Floor. Awesome release overall.

Edit In the half hour since I posted this, I have decided Flood on the Floor is the best track on the album. It's ****ing massive and delicious.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015