Pottermore

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Princess-Sammi, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Feenie Finny, Fin of the Feenie Fish

Signed up earlier and got e-mail, I'm ThestralFlight923.

2. Midnight Star Master of Physics

...I just got Griffindor. I really wasn't expecting that, I was expecting Ravendoor or Hufflepuff but okay then.

3. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Just got in but haven't been placed yet, name's MarauderMidnight2795.

Edit: I've been placed in Gryffindor (bawh, shoulda been Ravenclaw but at least it's not Slytherin), and my wand is holly and unicorn core, nine and a half inches, slightly springy.

4. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Somehow, I go placed into Hufflepuff.

I'm still laughing at the symbol being a badger (it's a Doctor Who reference).
    It looks like the sorting hat knew me better than I knew myself.

5. Misty gimme kiss

Does anyone know if there's any significance to the wand they give you? I know that in the books there were some interesting reasons behind the wands that some of the major characters got (and even some of the minor ones), but I've not really noticed a pattern in Pottermore yet. It could be totally arbitrary but yeah.

This is mine, though:
    [​IMG]

6. Alpha Sonix Why so asymmetrical?

I don't really think there's any particular reason but it does tell you a lot about wand lore and the different kind of trees which make the wands later on. From that you can probably relate it to what you chose to receive your wand.

7. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Here's the information from Pottermore on different wand types. Wand core info is here. And lengths and flexibility is here.

The placement of wands in Pottermore is interesting. They can be pretty darn accurate, especially since there's such a wide variety of woods you can get. Though I do find many of the descriptions vague enough to be almost-horoscope like, if you get what I mean. It'd be hard to get a wand that, according to those descriptions, a person would be like "nonono, that's not me at all."
    Mine is Ash with Unicorn Hair, 12 1/4 inches (pliant). Apparently that was also Ron's first wand, albeit a hand-me-down from his brother Charlie.

8. ShibuyaGato Transformation

That was pretty interesting to read about. I'm also surprised that fourteen-inch wands aren't a rarity. Mine ended up being Alder with Unicorn Hair, 14 1/2 inches (surprisingly swishy).

9. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

This is my wand:

12 1/2 in
    Sycamore
    Dragon core
    Surprisingly Swishy

I'm actually surprised at how accurate this is. It's a bit scary. Especially with what it says about those with Dragon Heartstrings have the tendency to turn to the Dark Arts (I'm still good, but the way the world is has caused me to just barely hang on good).

10. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Apparently Ash wands, especially with unicorn hair cores, do not like at all to be passed to another wielder. Which explains why Ron didn't do so well in his first two years. xD There you go. The more you know; Pottermore edition.

11. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

My wand is 10 1/2 inches, Hawthorn, Unicorn, Hard.

Hawthorn's a very interesting wood, it can be adept at either Healing or Curses, and Unicorn horn is very consistant as a core. So that's cool.

All this stuff is so interesting, GIVE ME MORE JO!!

12. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I got 11 inches, Pear, Phoenix Feather, Slightly Springy. That was an interesting read and I'm quite happy with it.

13. Misty gimme kiss

Thanks for the links!

And yeah, reading through them they are certainly horoscope-ish, but I like horoscopes, haha. I would say mine were fairly accurate. ;o

14. strfruit Gummi Ship Junkie

12 1/4 in
    Rowan
    Unicorn
    Quite Flexible

^-^

15. Razgriz Thirteen Traverse Town Homebody

Laurel with Phoenix Feather, 12 1/2 inches, pliant :D
    The explanations are really diverse, but it's too bad that they only came out with three wand designs though.. The images themselves just vary in length and colour.

16. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

I like this though. The films kinda warped what wands really look like in my head? They're a bit too personalised? I like the fact that there's a genericness to the designs, it makes the focus much more on the actual properties of the wood and how they relate to the person's characteristics rather than "omg my want has a skull on it, I'm evil".

17. Misty gimme kiss

I actually really love the wand designs in the movie, I think it's a really interesting touch and goes very well with the whole wand chooses the wizard thing. Some of them I did find a bit gaudy/obvious (these all come to mind), but I thought it was a really nice touch. I tend to like the simpler/more basic ones myself (Hermione's is a personal favorite, though), but I don't mind there being some very unique ones out there.

18. Always Dance Chaser

What Misty said.

So what do you guys think of potions? They're fun but they get kind dull for me...

19. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I own Sirius' wand and I really think that that one is may favorite.

NOT JUST CUZ SIRIUS IS MY FAVORITE OR ANYTHING! God How could you guys think that! xD

20. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I'll agree that some of the wand designs are quite unoriginal/obvious, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Well, they can be a bit aggravating, but not nearly as much as casting spells.

The system is so hard to pick up for me, and I just can't seem to figure it out.
    Also, they need to learn that not everyone has a mouse (people on laptops)~