Nintendo Pokemon Black & White 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Noroz, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

So, lads and lasses.Have any of you bought it? If so, what are your thoughts?

I absolutely love the game. By far the best game thus far (Only just defeated the 3rd gym, though.)
    (I know it's Game Freak - Still a Nintendo game)

2. sonicfan23 Traverse Town Homebody

Great game!!! I'm on the fourth gym right now, but she is SOOOOO hard!

What's your team? This is mine:

Riolu LV 25 (Nicknamed Roxas. Yeah, you read right, Roxas.)
    Purrloin LV 14
    Genesect LV 25
    Lillipup LV 14
    Azurill LV 11
    Servine LV 20

3. Hayabusa Venomous

I've not gotten the game yet myself, but I've actually heard a lot of criticism so far from fans and critics, along the lines of the game being, for the most part, exactly like the last game in most of the mechanics and sprites, and some of the reviewers thought the new story is weaker than the first Black & White games. Could you guys give an informed run-down? I was hyped at first, but what I've heard is making me hesitant.

I still want to get the games, of course, but not for the price of a new DS game, with what I've heard saying it's only marginally different from the previous iteration.

4. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

Well all pokemon series are re-runs of the same things with minimal investment in new thinghs.. It's kind sad, as Pokemon is a best seller ... and we now that Nintendo Ds has power enough to do better things(it runs Kingdom hearts for god sake!).
    The last game I did feel like they're starting to really invest (even though that "cinematic" of that Pokemon god creating the universe/an egg of a legendary pokemon was so lame ç.ç) . And I liked the plot paralel worlds and stuff, I was only expecting that the "new" game would be one that we could travel between paralel worlds, and understand the world's duality... but they seem to lost the oportunity so you can do the same thing again...
    I'll wait before trying to play it.

5. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I just finished the 7th gym.

Axew lv 37
    Lucation lv 42
    Samurott lv 42
    Electabuzz lv 40
    Arcanine lv 42

And I actually disagree with it being a bad game, story-wise. I love the new twists added to the game, the Pokémon available, the way the game plays. 21 hours in, and I still consider it to be the best Pokémon game there is.

6. sonicfan23 Traverse Town Homebody

I had actually made it to the fifth gym when I posted. Now I'm headed to the Pokemon League.

Updated Team:

Lucario (Roxas) LV 56
    Genesect LV 56
    Servine LV 29
    Cobalion LV 48
    Virizion LV 48
    Azumarill LV 26

I also disagree with it being a bad game. I love being able to catch a Riolu at the beginning. I really like the story and the backstory of your rival. I really like how they keep including Cheren and Bianca in some form or fashion. The only thing I don't really get is that basically, some cities get more attention than others, but that's just something I noticed.

PS Against some specific Team Plasma Pokemon, I recommend a Lucario that know's a fighting type move or two, Bone Rush, and whatever other move you can think of :D.

7. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

everyone keep saying that they're not going to get it but they do. i got mind because i was bored and i kinda like the music. so long story short who said that they are not going to get the new pokemon game and buys it anyway. also...

who likes N

8. Lite The Future

9. sonicfan23 Traverse Town Homebody

That's actually the same thread just so you know :D.

KYUREM IS SOOOOO HARD TO CATCH!!!!!!!! I've tried like three times now!

10. Lite The Future

When I posted that link, master's post was in a whole different thread. The post has since been merged into this thread.

Anyway, to keep with the thread topic, I'll hopefully be getting the game today. By the looks of things and the reactions from you guys, I think I'll be enjoying this installment quite a bit.

11. sonicfan23 Traverse Town Homebody

I did not know that.

And you will enjoy it. It's super fun. And one other thing: the number of Legendary Pokemon you can get SURPASSES the amount of Platinum. I'm serious, without trading or poke-transfer, there are more than platinum ever had. (I don't mean no Key Trading, you have to do that to get a certain pokemon...)

12. Lite The Future

No problem. Now you do know, and knowing is half the battl-*shot*.

Oh, wow. I remember hearing that Black 2/White 2 had a lot of Legendaries in it, but I didn't think it'd be that much to outdo Platinum. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to playing this.

13. sonicfan23 Traverse Town Homebody

Yeah. But the biggest problem is that other than the Legendary Trio, you have to wait until you beat the Elite 4 and the Champion to get them all.

14. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

Exactly like the previous versions huh? Well, it is Pokemon, don't expect much. Anyway IGN, if that says anything, gave the games a score of 9.6

I really want to get Black 2, haven't yet, but it seems awesome. What bugs me is the whole Genesect/wi fi events that make you get a Pokemon game as soon as it comes out in order not to miss anything.

15. Hiro ✩ Guardian

They came out the day before my birthday, but they were sold out, so I had to settle on Theatrythym.

Does it really surpass Platinum? now I really want this game.

16. sonicfan23 Traverse Town Homebody

I just read, and the number of True Legendaries in Platinum without trading or Poketransfer is about Eight. In BW2 (I am not counting Keytrading, and I don't know if Latios/Latias are Legendaries or not) there are 14 (without trading between the two games) Legendaries. If you want me to list them (comparing obviously) I would be happy to do that.

17. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    Ok, so I've been playing the game since it came out (nearly got it 5 days early, but Target's computers blocked the sale...) and I've got some things to say about it:

Gameplay: Not a lot to say here, but I feel like they took a little bit of a step back. In Black and White 1, the only HM you needed to finish the game was Cut... And you only had to use it once after the first gym to give a tutorial on how HMs work. Otherwise, the HMs existed purely for the post game exploration. In Black and White 2, you only need two HMs and they're two of the three best HM moves in the game, Surf and Strength. However, while Surf is always useful due to its high power (though outclassed by Scald, which is a single targeting Surf that has a chance to burn), Strength is not quite as useful. While it has the same power as Surf, its Normal type means that it won't deal super effective damage to anything. This is actually one of the reasons I continue to maintain that Strength should be a Fighting type move. Well, at least Strength, while mundane and average, isn't an outright bad move and we don't need useless and near useless trash like Defog and Flash anymore.

Also somewhat disappointing is that the difficulty seems to be lower than it was in Black and White 1. Granted, I am happy that they nerfed the hell out of Elesa, but despite nerfing, she's STILL the hardest gym. Even Drayden isn't all that hard. Really, the only bosses I felt were all that hard were Elesa and the final Team Plasma boss... and even then it was mostly because of a certain pair of Electric types that will never cease the irritate the hell out of me due to their immunities to Ground.

Also, I LOVE that there are a LOT of Legendaries from across the last three generations.

Story: Again, I feel like they took a step back. I will try to avoid spoilers, but no real promises. In Black and White 1, Team Plasma played an integral part of the story to the point of subverting the usual Pokemon story of "You're a young trainer trying to become the strongest in the region and you fight and defeat an evil team along the way," with varying degrees on which part of the story has more focus (IE, Johto is mostly about becoming the Johto/Kanto Champion, while Hoenn is mostly about fighting Team Aqua and/or Team Magma) Black and White 2 isn't quite so lucky.

Its not bad, don't get me wrong. The story more than does its job of expanding on the plot of Black and White 1, but it feels like we fell back into the usual Pokemon story. The story is more about becoming champion, oh, and you fight Team Plasma along the way. It feels like they covered the same ground that they covered in Johto. Again, don't get me wrong, its not bad. It was really interesting to see how Unova had changed over two years and I am happy that the path wasn't quite as much of a straight line as it was last time (though it was still a little too much of a straight line if you ask me as they don't give you a single town without a gym between the second and sixth gyms, so there's little time to catch your breath), but you really don't get largely involved in fighting Team Plasma until near the end of the game and it could have just as easily been resolved in the same way much earlier in the game. In fact, there isn't a single Team Plasma oriented dungeon until that point.

The expanded regional Pokedex: I've got mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, wild Riolus are AWESOME. I had a ****ing Lucario by the time I beat Roxie! I love that! I also liked seeing the return of classics like Onix, Grimer, Trapinch (which I actually run in my party as a Flygon) and so on and so forth. However, I am so sick and tired of Rattata and Zubat. They're everywhere in Gens I-IV and, even with their obvious replacements, one of my favorite parts of Black and White 1 was noting having to run into the same ****ing Pokemon I've been running into since 1998. Hell, I say this and I LIKE the Zubat family and have considered running Crobat instead of a bird from time to time.

Other thoughts: Ultimately, the game is great. Its a great Pokemon experience for both new and old players. The updated Unova is awesome and story does well to tie up Black and White 1's loose ends, despite being a bit of a step back. I've put about 50 hours into the game, not including the time I spent before restarting when I finally realized that I hated using Tepig (five gyms in), have beaten the main story and caught 8 of the game's 15 Legendaries (Cobalion, Virizion, Terrakion, Cresellia, Heatran, Latios, Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf in that order) and am currently trying to find the Legendary Golems.

Also, my team is as follows:
    Samurott (Jack)
    Typhlosion (brought in from Black 1, which was in turn brought in from HeartGold after the first gym)
    Staraptor (brought in from Black 1 from Platinum after the first gym)
    Lucario
    Galvantula
    Flygon

I WAS going to use Donphan (which was, like Typhlosion, brought in from HeartGold as soon as I had the chance), but I chose to go with Flygon so I could run a Dragon again after being happy with the result of running Haxorus in Black 1.

18. Glen Returned from the dead

I absolutely love the game! Got it about a week ago and loved every minute of it! I'm only up to the sixth gym right now, but i've loved some of the unique things they've done with the gyms!

At the moment, my pokemon team is as follows:

Blaze (level 44 Emboar)
    Level 34 Lucario
    Level 35 Golduck
    Level 24 Tranquil
    Level 31 Zoroark
    and level 39 Ampharos

19. Cloud4012 Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm on the 5th gym

Lucario Lv 25
    Genesect Lv 27
    Pignite Lv 26
    Drillbur Lv 24
    Psyduck Lv 25
    Tranquil Lv 26

20. Karuta Reborn

I havent played it yet, but im getting it for christmas, which means the genesect event will be over ;_;
    Oh well, theres always pokegen.