Please Explain

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Patsy Stone, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7683189.stm

Under the premise that God does in fact exist, please explain how something like this happens. Along with all the other **** innocent and good people have to endure at every point during their lives.

Keep it clean =]

2. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

God works in mysterious ways, the good die young because god thinks they are ready to join him in heaven, being the good people they are has earned them early chances at bliss. They didn't die, they have been given eternal life with him. Take this not as a tragedy and more as a gift to such wonderful people.

As for those that continue to live and suffer. God's just testing them, if they're good people they'll pull through.

Or something ******ed like that.

3. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I heard about this, no words can describe how awful it is. One of those children was only 10 weeks old.

It isn't right and it isn't fair. Life truly is such a fragile thing ._.

4. Juicy Chaser

I saw this on the news just then T.T

Wales seems to be having a lot of people dying recently.. or maybe thats just me |:

Perhaps, saying that God does exsist, he is punishing them for some crime he sees they have commited, or perhaps this was the work of "the devil", or, you know, he wants the true angels to come to him in heaven.

If God exsists he would be so great and intelligent we couldn't possibly understand the reasons behind his actions. Thats what I think anyway...

5. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

That argument falls down with the 10 week year old at the very least. How on earth could a child of 10 weeks have committed a sin so horrendous that it deserved death?

Also, God being omnipotent could have stopped it even if Satan had been involved.

6. Juicy Chaser

Perhaps the child hadn't been baptised, which means they were still guilty of original sin.

And okay, scrap the satan bit.

7. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

I find it funny people today can be blamed for something supposedly done by the "first people" which was directly caused by god. And the sprinkling of some water obviously makes so much of a difference.

8. Juicy Chaser

But the water just represents the cleansing, it depends how you see the whole baptising process. Do you see a man pouring water on a babies head or a child of sin being cleansed?

And sorry if I sound unfair, Im not actually religious to tell you the truth.

9. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

xD I know you are just trying to explain it using irrational and illogical terms =] You will notice how hard it is.

The entire concept of original sin is laughable at best.

10. Viscount_of_Stardust Merlin's Housekeeper

Can't we all just be left what we want to believe. If it was easy to prove then there'd be no need for faith. Calling it irrational and illogical is just the easy way out of having to think outside the realms you understand. Feel free to reply as well, a good debate is always wonderful

11. Juicy Chaser

O_O

No, we were purposely being irrational and illogical. To try and take opposite sides of the debate.

12. Viscount_of_Stardust Merlin's Housekeeper

I didn't say anyone was being illogical, it was part of BunterX's argument that I was contending.

But yes, this is a tragic happening but God obviously meant it to happen for some reason we don't understand

13. Explode Who?!

There's nothing wrong with believing in whatever you want, and Bunter is a bit of a Christian basher XD but I still think that people should be able to question the existing faiths.

I agree with Bunter, that the idea of a baby dying because of a reason that humans can't understand doesn't make any sense. We've never seen any instances where demon babies started killing people. You could argue that that's because they've all been killed, but then why hasn't the source of the problem been destroyed, rather than the minor issues? Besides, if God was able to end human lives so easily, then crime would not exist at all, because the offenders would be killed before they could do anything. If these aren't one of the "unkown reasons" that lives are cut short, then I think it's safe to say that there is no reason. What's the point of killing humans if we can't hope to understand why they are being killed? And it's not like they pose a threat to God either, since they are mortal.

And this may sound harsh, but I promise that it's only for the sake of discussion. You said that calling religious beliefs "irrational and illogical is just the easy way out of having to think outside the realms you understand." However, the way I see it, organized religion is a way of not having to think about outside forces, since you are told what to believe. People who don't have a faith, or create their own, are the ones who think the most about the mysteries of death, in my opinion. Let's face it, there's no way of proving that one religion is right, and that others are wrong. The ones who don't chose a religion are the ones that take this closest to heart. Also, those who have their own "non-organized religion" draw their own conlusions, rather than excepting the beliefs of others.

I love it how this turned into a religious debate. Thanks, Bunter XD

14. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

I wouldn't say I am a Christian basher, I try not to bash Christians as people as I don't consider a person and religion to be the same thing. However, if a person believes that the most important overarching thing in their life is their religion then I might as well be bashing them. Also, I hate all organised religions more or less equally :)

But yes, saying that "God must have had a good reason to do it" is a paradoxical excuse with no end. It can be argued over and over again and never beaten because it isn't logical. If there were a good reason then god could at least have the good grace to let us know what it is rather than us having to work it out for ourselves (he apparently controls enough of the rest of our lives through the various churches to give us this concession).

15. Viscount_of_Stardust Merlin's Housekeeper

But just because it is illogical doesn't rule out it's existence. There are many illogical things in nature. And just as a matter of contrast, are you able to explain adequately how evolution comes about? Because it certainly doesn't stop your belief in it. Maybe you need a HYPOCRISY SCIMITAR

16. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

There has been much research into evolution and much of it has held up under close scrutiny. Just because there are unexplained sections doesn't mean you have to go all "god of the gaps" on origin theory. Also, belief implies that there is no evidence for a theory. There is in fact plenty of hard evidence for evolution from hundreds of locations all over the globe and from many different sources.

It is certainly more logical than woman being made from the rib of a man and the whole world being created in a week.

I am also quite amused that you would dare use the word hypocrisy against someone else. The Bible is full of hypocrasies as are the lives of every Christian today (not to mention the other religions around the world).

17. Viscount_of_Stardust Merlin's Housekeeper

I believe much of the Bible is metaphor. For you to examine it literally is absurd. I'm sure watching books and films with you is fun. Maybe a a Hypocrisy/Valium SCIMITAR is needed

18. Explode Who?!

The thing is, a lot of Christians do believe The Bible word for word. And books and movies are different from religion because it doesn't impact the world on the same scale as religion.

And did you mean "seminar"?

19. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

More excuses it seems. Why write and compile an entire book if it is to be taken metaphorically? Also, who decides what is metaphor and what is literal? An easy way out when someone questions something "Oh yeah that bit is metaphorical, you can ignore it".

There is very little concrete about religion, apart from the ignorance it breeds. And when it comes to tragedies like this ignorance is not something we need.

20. Viscount_of_Stardust Merlin's Housekeeper

I am against ignorance. However, it is hard to label something so sith-oriented. Maybe on those months when it is clearer.

But no proof doesn't disproof anything.

And yes, I meant SCIMITAR.