Photoshop CS3 Ex. crashes at startup when it says "initializing..."

Discussion in 'Technology' started by windblade, Aug 27, 2012.

1. windblade King's Apprentice

I've been using Photoshop CS3 Extended (version 10.0) on my Windows 7 64bit laptop for about 3 years with absolutely no problems. Suddenly, out of nowhere last Saturday, it wouldn't start. It would go through all of its "initializing" up until the very last one, which just simply says "Initializing..." One thing to note is that when it says "Initializing tools...", it takes a bit longer than it used to.
    http://i.imgur.com/8wXEo.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/86gAE.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/SumcV.png

I've seen people say to reset the preferences by holding "Ctrl+Alt+Shift" while starting photoshop up, however, on Windows 7, holding "Alt" along with any other buttons causes the properties of the shortcut to come up instead of the program starting. I tried various other button combinations while starting it, but no luck. Also, I tried manually just moving the "Adobe Photoshop CS3 Setting" folder, but that didn't work either.

Some info that might help:
    Recently, I got a secondary monitor to help with drawing really large pictures. I also recently got an external hard drive.
    With the monitor, I moved the photoshop window over to it and kept my laptop screen clear to do other things. Before disconnecting the secondary monitor from my laptop each time I was finished with it, I would move the photoshop window back to the laptop's screen. However, the time I used it before it started having this problem, I forgot to move it back before I closed it. Then, the next day (Saturday), when I tried to start it up without the secondary monitor attached, it would crash just like I said. I tried it with the monitor plugged in, and it opened directly on the secondary monitor, but still crashed at the same point.

With the external hard drive, I thought that I might have accidentally moved something over to it that photoshop needed to work, but I couldn't find anything related to Adobe moved onto it.

Any ideas, anyone?
    Excuse any spelling errors. It's early in the morning, and I'm still drowsy.

2. *Sora* Gummi Ship Junkie

You can search your harddrive for a .psp file that should be named "Adobe Photoshop X Pref" or something along those lines. Delete it and relaunch Photoshop.

3. windblade King's Apprentice

Thanks for the fast reply.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. "Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp". That .psp file is in the "Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings" folder in the Appdata/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS3 path, which I have tried various things with (from moving the individual files, including the Prefs.psp one, out of it onto the desktop so they wont be loaded or just simply moving the entire folder.)