Pain Management Tips

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Laurence_Fox, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Just what it says on the tin. I'd like some advice on what I can do that doesn't involve medication.

Here's why. Working my way down.

1. Frequent headaches that sometimes go into migraines. They last for hours in varying degrees. The good ones are gone in an hour or two. The bad ones... I had a migraine that lasted a full 24 hours. During which I could not even wear my glasses or use an ice pack on my head. It was almost like my scalp had become hypersensitive.
    2. All these headaches cause tension in my neck which makes it and my shoulders hurt. I also suspect that I have something pinched since there are times where it feels like my upper arms are numb. Sometimes there's also a tingling sensation.
    3. My back frequently hurts with an ache that likes to travel. Some days it's in my upper back. Others it's in my lower back.
    4. My ankles pronate(lean inwards). I know they're supposed to pronate to a certain degree during the motion of walking but mine do it even when stationary. I've twisted/sprained both of them at least once so I suspect there's a good deal of arthritis in them and my feet. Supported by the discomfort of changes in air pressure and the fact my ankles click and/or crack when I walk.
    Sleeping is hard when you cannot get comfortable in your own bed. And when I do sleep, I have bad dreams that my feet are going to break off. I spend a lot of time sleeping in a recliner in the living room with heating pads.

I do have insoles in my shoes. If I'm not careful with my ankles, I could develop plantar faciitis in my feet.

Notes:

I do know heating pads work as I have several. And I have a slew of ice packs in the freezer. I just would not rather take all sorts of pain relief pills because they can do a number on your stomach and since my stomach hates me as it is I'd rather not make it worse.

Also I don't have access to heating pads or ice packs at work.

I'm only 31. Not 71?

So any sort of help at this point would be appreciated.

2. SushiKey Destiny Islands Resident

I wish I could help in a way that could eliminate at least one of them, but other than a few things, I can't think of much. Maybe someone else would have some ideas.

First off, try some light stretching and exercises. A quick Google search could find some good ones, but be sure to research which ones do what. There's also probably some exercise shows on TV you could record (if you have a DVR, that is). Public television (PBS in the US) is good for this - there was this one on there I watched called Classical Stretch once and it was pretty good.

And don't avoid the doctor completely. There are several things a doctor can recommend other than medication, and even if they do, be sure to ask questions/research the type of medications in that category. Doesn't hurt to know!

I wish I had more. Best of luck in your pain relief!

3. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

One thing that might help is getting a better pillow. If you're having a hard time sleeping and you have all these problems which point to a pinched nerve or something, it could be surprising how much a really good pillow could help. Maybe a memory-foam pillow. It might seem a little silly paying a lot of money for a pillow, but it could potentially save you a lot of pain.

I don't think that will help much with your ankle problem, but I hope it will at least help with your back and headaches.

Also, my mom suffered from chronic migraines for most of her life, and one thing that helped her at least bear the pain was if you get a little artificial mint flavoring (nothing fancy, like the kind you buy for baking or stuff) and pour a little bit onto a cold/hot washcloth and press it to your head, it helps a little bit with the pain.

4. SushiKey Destiny Islands Resident

Can't believe I didn't think of a pillow!

This kind of goes with the mint flavoring, but my mom has started trying essential oils for things and it's really helped both her and I. You use it in a similar way.