Osama Bin Laden is dead!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Boy Wonder, May 1, 2011.

1. Day~Dream Kingdom Keeper

I'm glad he's gone but now everyone is afraid of a revenge attack. I'm one of those people. O_O
    Like at school, there was a helicopter near one of the towers not doing anything just flying in front of it and everyone freaked...

One problem fixed just to find another...

2. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Only if there's nothing to gain from it. The only justice served here was revenge, it's kinda a morale booster for America(as disgusting as that sounds). Now, I'm not excusing Bin's actions, as they were atrocious, but this "in your face" attitude is kinda gross. That man probably had family too, the least we can do is respect their suffering. Honestly, I was watching some wrestling thing, and they were prancing like idiots about the ordeal.

/capitalism : /

3. program Twilight Town Denizen

Ruined my Sunday lineup on Fox D:

4. Saxima [screams geometrically]

Look, I'm just as glad as the next guy that bin Laden is dead, but I do want to point out one thing; So many people have celebrated the death of one man. The death.

Regardless of how bad of a man he was, he was still a man. For some reason, I don't view it as the United States has brought justice to him, it looks as if to me that we've gotten revenge. And that's where the thin line is - the one between justice and revenge.

5. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

After doing much thinking, I came up with this:

6. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i feel that way too actually. it feels weird to have people shouting "USA!" and having drinking parties over something like this. though it seems at this rate, this thing will die out pretty quickly, it seems people are already getting bored of talking about this subject.

7. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

The 2006 failed transatlantic flight plot. That would've killed thousands of people if the police hadn't caught onto it. I believe that was the attack they promised to be bigger than 9/11. However, there may not be any massive attacks as of yet, but Al Qaeda have been pulling smaller ones. Bottom line is people are still dying because of these extremists.

I agree with you on the best case scenario but if that did happen I'd imagine some would look towards the Taliban. That would be worst scenario.

No, I completely agree with you on the whole, 'in your face' attitude at the death of a man, but I can't blame people for celebrating, be it for whatever reason they believe; justice, revenge, closure or a sense of relief. Though I'd have thought most folk would be more reserved in their celebrating. They may not be as bad as the Afghanistan 9/11 celebrations (I literally felt sick watching those) but going out and celebrating like that will only rally the opposition, just like the Afgan celebrations did for America and such. But I can't really judge these people since I was never directly affected by 9/11.

Unfortunately, Bin Laden's death was necessary (I know that sounds horrible). They couldn't let him escape for what he did, nor could they capture him and send him to trial. Al Qaeda would've done everything in their power to see him released, and that is a scary though. Plus, it would've been a long drawn out process to see him only get executed. Then people would question why he wasn't killed on the spot. Yes he had a family, but I feel more for those families that suffered a loss because someone in their family was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

8. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    Okay, so Osama bin Laden is dead. While it is a good thing because it brings closure to the families affected by 9/11 and the rest of the U.S., killing him won't bring back the ones who died during those attacks, therefore; we should not be celebrating his death, we should be acknowledging the fact that the person who was behind the 9/11 attacks received his just desserts and then we should move on with our lives.

Oh and maybe congratulate seal team 6 (and hopefully their names will not be released due to the fact that they would become a target.)

9. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Too late, at least one already has.

10. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Isn't that just the same as celebrating Osam's death? Celebrating these people's actions is also celebrating the outcome they caused and by celebrating the SEALS for their ability to commit murder and cause the death you're congratulating Osama's death.

11. Styx That's me inside your head.

Just throwing this in here... How much would the practice of waterboarding have contributed to actually finding him? Would the CIA have ever heard the name of Abu Ahmed were it not for this modern form of torture? Not to nip the euphoria or anything, but it occured to me.

12. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    Well, you could perceive it that way, but the they were the ones who actually completed the mission that was started 10 years ago. It's not a matter of celebration of his murder it's a matter of closure that they provided to the American citizens.

13. Misty gimme kiss

A lot of news reports (as well as Dick Cheney himself) have said that without the Guantanamo Bay interrogations, we wouldn't have found him, you're right.

14. hikki_kairi Gummi Ship Junkie

In my opinion, this is practically a risky move., I mean it's great that "revenge" is served and all but it is still a bald move. From what happening in the Middle East right now and then Osama's death. It could spark more battles in this world.

My Social Psychology prof told us to be aware of someone from the Middle East because he might serve as another threat to the world. That person is Muammar Gaddafi. He's been silent about the revolt against him and some say he's a good strategist.

Think about it, Osama is dead, who would lead Al Qaeda or support it? They will turn to someone with greater power (and money X.x) for it. O.o

I know this sounds kinda like BS but it's time that we follow the news carefully about it. O.o

15. What? 『 music is freedom 』

Muammar Gaddafi would certainly not be a surprising choice - if I do recall correctly, he has himself been quite prone to acts of state-sponsored terrorism, but it must be noted that such acts were committed a handful of years prior. Though Gaddafi may be a possible choice to act as such a rallying point for such terrorists, his already shaky position may prove him only to be a temporary face. Though, one may suppose, that may not stop the aforementioned terrorists from considering both Gaddafi and bin Laden as "martyrs" in the face of such a conflict.

As for the death of the man himself, I shall suppose commendations on the death in itself are unnecessary due to the aforementioned reasons stated previously. However, as most likely stated before, such a death shall certainly result in some sort of retaliation. Oh, cycle of revenge, you are - as considered - a staunching factor in the progress of humanity.

16. Chevalier Crystal Princess

I must say, this is a nice read, and very insightful, but I feel like I have to play the devil's advocate.

And just how many people do you believe understand the difference between Osama the symbol and Osama the man? Certainly not those who are swept by the sensationalism of the event. People should be smart enough to realize how the destruction of a symbol isn't going to resolve problems, and only rejoice in it for what it is. But that's not happening.

Faces are interchangeable in this case. The face of true terrorism isn't one shown publicly, it's one that works in the shadows, and can assume any appearance when it suits it. The notion of terrorism isn't something you can win over, and while this marks a new leaf for it, it doesn't matter. As long as there's something to be gained from it, it'll keep happening.

This doesn't unite us in the way you'd think, I'm sorry to say. All of what you mentioned will still keep going, and using a scapegoat through terrorism will not bring some permanent semblance of unity. Once the hype is over, everything is still the same.

Ignorance isn't closure. If people need symbol killed each time to feel better, then that's what's truly sad. If they're not willing to face the fact that this just a show to deliver some sense of pride, then that's even sadder. USA's drug of relief, killing someone off to feed some sense of patriotism? Even when it may, or may not solve some issue.

Osama was a criminal, and he deserved to be brought to justice, however. People needed that. And those victims deserved some sort of peace. But there's just something not completely right about it...

17. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Okay, I agree that justice has been served. I agree that it was the right thing to do. But are you people even asking, where is the proof? They had the body, but gave it a burial at see (dumped it). They have pictures, yet refuse to let us see them. They are afraid if they let them out that the wrong people will see them and something bad will happen, well let the news guys look at it and report . . . oh wait, are we supposed to trust them. How about this, go around all over the country showing the pictures from town to town, this way everyone get's there proof and nobody gets hurt. I really believe that if Bin Laden is dead that the war is half over, but no evidence about it. If I told you I was friggin superman by this logic you should believe me . . . by the way I am superman!

Also, agree with LilBueno on the celebrating the death of they symbolicism not the man.