Osama Bin Laden is dead!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Boy Wonder, May 1, 2011.

1. Styx That's me inside your head.

Glad to hear it. I wonder how much of an impact it will have on the war.

2. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

It's not original, it's fake (the picture). DNA has already been sent and examined though.

3. Sara Tea Drinker

If it is true, a teacher of mine once told me that big events in history you always remember. What happened, where you heard about it, and what you were doing the exact moment you found out.

My mom still remembers what she was doing when she heard about the Kennedy assassination, she remembers where she was when the Challenger exploded. She remembers every single detail of the phone call that let her know about the WTC being attacked, and I remember waking up to her calls and watching the news all day and night watching 9/11.

These things leave imprints in you for the rest of your life, you never forget. This is one of them for me.

4. Patman Bof

You' ve got a point, I cannot understand how someone' s death could help anyone to feel better about a loss or lead to cheering and I probably never will.
    I just wanted to add something : Ben Laden was just a patsy. The real culprits, those who could have changed their mind and didn' t, died in the planes crash. Which of course was no comfort to anyone. (Plus I' m a bit skeptical about what really happened that day, but that' s off topic).

5. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

6. KeybladeWars Merlin's Housekeeper

You don't know how much of a good news that is. I live in Israel and it's such a relief. I just hope those *******s won't do anything to the US because of that!

7. Daxa~ #stalker

Its good hes dead I guess,as he caused so much suffering...
    But did they really need to kill his son and the other people?
    Sure their gonna say it was accidental...
    But still.

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

9. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I was shocked when I heard this. I'm personally glad that the threat to society is dead. I mean, it's been nearly a decade since 9/11 and we've been trying to find him for so long. I'm glad that we won't have to worry about him anymore but in reality, Al Quaeda (i think that's how it's spelled...) is going to try and retalliate...

10. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Even if that was a true picture, you can't seriously expect the government to broadcast the picture of a shot-up corpse on the evening news as proof. One would assume that it has been proven before it had been officially released in a press conference by the American president. Now, I'm not saying to immediately believe that they're telling the whole truth; heck, I'm not 100% persuaded either. But they can't really give the public media much more proof other than "it has been proven by scientists and the millitary", etc. They can't really give out a legitimate DNA test result willy nilly to the public.

I have to agree. Although I understand that the news of his death may come as a relief, I don't consider it a happy occasion. To be honest, I would have preferred that he had spent the rest of his life in jail. Either way, I don't see a real reason to be necessarily partying. I wouldn't be surprised if we were to see retaliation from the remaining members of Al Qaeda because he was killed instead of him dying from natural causes, which he was expected to soon. Long story short, it's just not all good news.

11. Xe54 Kingdom Keeper

Because of his death, there are police everywhere out here. I don't think another terrorist attack is gonna happen here.

12. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

An attack won't happen immediately, but al Qaeda will try something somewhere. Here's hoping anti-terror organisations will prevent such attacks, though.

13. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

People are stupid to think we actually accomplished anything. His spot can and will be taken, we've only made them mad. We wasted ten years trying to get a victory that was more symbolic than anything, and it's symbolic of our knack for wasting resources because he hasn't done **** since 9-11 and him pulling off that attack in the first place was symbolic of our ignorance. We could have taken him out before he pretty much surprised butt-sexed us up like that, but no we're stupid.

14. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

Bin Laden was still orchestrating attacks so it would've stupid to let him go. You honestly think he spent 10 years in hiding doing nothing? Aye someone will replace him, but most folk will agree that some form of justice has been served.

15. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

It was only a matter of time before he was caught, whether in jail or by death Osama wouldn't live a content life. I'm just sad of the death this hunt for him has caused, how many killed on both sides is just an unhappy feeling. I do think this is a symbolic victory more than a pratical one, he was an old man and a relic of a terrorist group, in the last 10 years new you g bloods have risen to greater powered position, and although this kill is a blow it is not fatal. Retaliation is immenent.

The only result I've seen so far from his death is a lot of text and Facebook jokes. Some are pretty good.

16. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Ditto.
    [​IMG]

and:
    Donald Trump wants Osama's death certificate!

17. Misty gimme kiss

I have to agree with those who just get a bad taste in their mouths with everyone partying over the death of someone. I do feel for those effected by the 9/11 attacks, I'm sure everyone does, and I'm proud that the US military were able to accomplish this. But to have the all out cheering and rallies that we are seeing in the city because a man was shot in the head?
    I don't know. It just doesn't feel right.

I can't say I was too shocked when I heard the news. I mean there was the initial "oh wow," but it doesn't really change much, at least not for me. While Osama certainly had no light hand in the 9/11 attacks, there are still so many out there that are a real threat to peace.

I do think US officials are handling the situation fairly well, I've seen various news reports that reinforce that we're not getting complacent because of this; if anything, we need to be more careful in the months that follow.

Still, I do have hope that this will be the first turning point in the efforts to stop terrorist activity.

And, well, I can't say I don't feel great for the US as a whole. I think we needed something like this to bring us all together.

18. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

But he was far from the only one orchestrating attacks. I was exaggerating when I said he was doing nothing, what I was really getting at is there was no more big attacks like 9-11 which I'm almost positive they promised to do something bigger but none of that ever happened. Someone with all the same resources and more vengeance and anger is probably gonna step in now. The best case scenario is them not being able to agree on a successor and then splitting into smaller groups and killing each other.

19. Misty gimme kiss

On the contrary, it could serve to demoralize them. Before they kind of dangled the "haha, you still haven't got him, US" thing in front of us--now that the man who's become sort of their poster-child is gone, and their approval ratings in the areas have plummeted, they may have trouble rising up again.

But really, at this point, anything it's possible. It's far beyond my realm of knowledge--maybe anyone's--to be able to predict the actions of radical terrorists. All we can do now is hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

20. Johnny Bravo Chaser

No one exactly knows what is going to happen next with terrorism, it can sky rocket or stop almost completely, it all depends on how the terrorists react to losing one of the Al Queda leaders. In my opinion, terrorism will most likely sky rocket because Osama is finally dead, if it doesn't, I can honestly say I will be surprised.