One Dead in Northern Arizona University Shooting

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Amaury, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

• Source: NBC
    • Published: October 9, 2015

While any life loss is sad, thankfully, this is nowhere near the tragedy that happened in Roseburg, Oregon.

Condolences to the family.

2. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Honestly this trend is starting to become quite scary. Most of the college campuses I have attended have no way of keeping the schools gun free (hell they can't even manage to keep the dorms drug free), so it's really up to the mentality of the student population. While I'm thankful that it's not as bad as Oregon, the incidents are too closely paced together for me to help but wonder if they're totally unrelated. I hope someone can figure out a solution. I hope all of you guys who do attend campus school are staying as safe as you can.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

This is kind of how it has always, unfortunately, worked. One shooting happens and then a few more happen before stopping, until it happens again the cycle repeats itself.

4. Hayabusa Venomous

This is bad news. Three of my friends have gone to NAU now, so I can actually picture them being in danger, though luckily they're done with school.

It's almost like we need better firearm regulation.

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

[​IMG]

...In all seriousness, I'd love it. But even if a pro-regulation president is elected, no way is Congress gonna let anything of the sort pass. I hate this country.

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I am not saying that stricter gun control won't help (I am also not saying that it will help either, for all we know nothing could change). However, to ignore the fact that there is a different side to the coin isn't helping anyone.

Notice how most of us if we wanted to could easily get access to a firearm. Sure you would have to go around getting a license to it, and maybe you would have to move to a different location that is less strict with firearms and such, but if you wanted to get it, you could. Does that make you a murderer? No. So why is the to answer to the question "why do people do this?"...guns?

If someone is so mentally unstable that they feel the only way they can go on is by taking someone's life, taking away their "legal access to guns" won't really do much. Sure if we make the process of getting one legally, that might slow the person down. Isn't murder already illegal though, so what is a law going to do? They already broke one. If we lived in a society where owning a firearm was illegal, I am pretty sure murder would be worse (in terms of criminal charges) than illegally owning something.

Like I said, I think we need to look at these situations and think why are these PEOPLE doing these terrible things. Not "how can we slow them down".

Slowing them down is important (and if better gun control saves lives, then do it. Effing do it.), but that only really applies to those who acknowledge the law as something that should be followed. Clearly a murderer doesn't fall under that category.

7. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Problem is, every shooter had their own unique motive. To pinpoint every single issue with these people will take too damn long. There isn't really one general reason for what they do (and no, I don't find blaming them all on mental illness to be a good excuse at all). Hell, at this point, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a guy started a shooting just because he stubbed his toe.

Now personally, I don't think having stricter gun laws will eliminate gun crimes 100%, but I'll gladly take slowing them down over doing absolutely nothing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  8. Hayabusa Venomous

Of course we need to look into the processes that make people turn to crime in the first place. I didn't mean to make my post a serious, extended conversation about gun violence in the United States. I'm just so tired of gun rights advocates trying to keep up their arguments of all firearms (including assault weapons) as rights that the devil liberals are trying to take away in the face of continuous incidents like this school's.

The more important step I think is the support that keeps people from even thinking of doing these things in the first place, but I wonder if it can apply to the assailants who would be considered coming from more stable environments, if that makes sense.

Also, a lot of these murderers aren't repeat offenders (from what I can tell.) I admit that I'm assuming that they would definitely not go through the efforts of navigating an illegal firearm market, making an off-the-radar purchase, and then carryout their acts of violence; at least the ones under 30 probably wouldn't. But this is all assumption.