Ollie

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by AlexleHoshi, Jan 22, 2014.

1. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

[​IMG]

This is an RP oc I made with one of my friends, although he's more of a side character, I really like his design. Also this is an AU version of him, since the main RP is more fantasy based, while this feels more futuristic.

I know the hand is too big, and some of the lines are too wavy, but other then that, I'm really pleased with how this turned out.

And I used this a reference http://www.deviantart.com/art/singing-music-BASE-200699799.

Other then the two things I pointed out. How would you improve this?

2. What? 『 music is freedom 』

D'aw, I definitely enjoy the concept. My favourite factor would most likely be the overall colour scheme you used which is very solidly done, friend.

My biggest recommendation on future improvement would just be general anatomy. You have a good deal of basic factors down and I enjoy that even with reference you are working with postures, which are a great point of improvement for any artist while helping you down the road overall. Getting some of the structure of the limbs, torso, and the head, along with their relation to each other overall, will help solidify the structure of your characters in your future work and give them more depth; positioning and the like can be tricky, so just keep practicing my friend, you do already have a solid basis, which is excellent. Hands are probably the most challenging part of any body for a number of artists (myself included; you can draw some fingers better than I can, hehe), so practicing hand positions probably just as much as overall body structure is a surefire way to get some nice contrast between hand gesture and posing. References for both of these overall are actually the best to use and you can probably find them anywhere. When you get interested in poses then I have a website you can take a look at, though I recommend getting more of your anatomy down solidly first, but heck some of the reference in there could be good for anatomy work overall..

My second suggestion would deal with the shading. You have a bit of shading going there and it fits the colours, but for your future work to really pop out you should use shading and highlights with your colours in a way that will give everything a bit more depth overall -- clothes, skin, et cetera. Getting the right shading while making it look appealing to the artist is another skill that takes a bit of practice, but with all the ways to do it (whether through simple layering to opacity overlays and luminosity to playing around with semi-opaque airbrush and acrylic brush) you can find one that fits your style. Next to overall body anatomy, getting the lighting right is probably one of the more important things I would set in an artist's burgeoning improvement. You can tie things like depth of line in your line art to this and the like to make it crisper/cleaner while giving it more variety.

Overall, however, I am pleased as well. Keep up the artistic merit, soldier!

3. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

Thanks What? And yes the things you pointed out, I do need to work on, but at the level I'm at now, I'm really pleased with myself