ok so I may have overreacted EVER so slightly,

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Stardust, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Stardust Chaser

...on second thought no. no i did not.

my playstation 2's rgb cables came in the mail today (read: cheap madcatz universal cable)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

idk man it's really hard to get a photo that shows the extent of the difference it makes. i saw it and was reduced to a cursing mess. c':

like... here is my best attempt at a direct comparison w/ composite??? for now anyway

[​IMG]

it's so crisp that dithering techniques that are supposed to create gradients don't work, lol.

tl;dr i'ts amazing im cry.

2. 61 No. B

so like i know i'm a dumb person but i cant figure out if this is a good or bad thing
    considering you said "cursing mess" i'm going with bad

3. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

It's a good thing.

4. 61 No. B

oh

okay then

5. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Also, the image she posted with the side-by-side you could barely make out Zero's face in the before side of it. RGB is sooooooo gooooood for old consoles mmmmmmm.

6. Iskandar King of Conquerors

So I take it that it's better than the normal cables that come with the PS2?

7. 61 No. B

i see

i didnt see this

8. Hayabusa Venomous

I have these and they make Silent Hill 2/3 look so good, to the point they embarrass that shite HD Collection

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  9. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I prefer to emulate and crank up the internal resolution.

Also, RGB cable is pretty vague (and in most cases inaccurate) Are you talking component, DVI, S-video, what?

EDIT: Nevermind you said composite. Learn to read Mixt :P

10. Trigger hewwo uwu

[​IMG]

never forget

11. Stardust Chaser

That works also, I just have a thing against LCD screens haha.

And no, you're right actually! I said RGB, but I mentioned composite in my comparison photo because that's what I was comparing it against. I understand what you mean, but in this case RGB is correct -- my PS2 is outputting RGB over component cables (instead of YPbPr) into an RGB monitor with an additional composite lead as a sync source, hence those particular cables. I know most AV equipment in North America doesn't deal with RGB, but I bought this monitor specifically for that purpose as I'm going to use it for my arcade build. I just hadn't gotten to test the RGB input until now c': I didn't know until recently that my particular model of monitor will take composite video as sync, but I bought the cables when I saw a little blurb about it on the net to give it a try haha.
    Really I'm just fortunate that the PS2's pinout is shared for Component and RGB -- which one it outputs can just be switched in the menu. Otherwise I'd need a SCART cable + a 4 BNC breakout cable to pull this off, and that's assuming it wasn't disabled altogether for PS2s here.

12. Hayabusa Venomous

The colors, the roads, the water, the randomly changed mile markers, the stretched cinematics, lighting, shadows, man...it's like they went out of their way to give us a terrible experience.

Yes I know I've beaten this horse before but God damn it still pisses me off.

13. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Ah, some video stuff I didn't know. Like you said the analogue stuff is mostly YPbPr, and apart from that I tend to think of the digital signal for stuff like HDMI. I googled the cables but most of what I found looked like component so I just assumed it was being used by the wrong name.

And while my tastes differ from yours on the CRT front, I'm glad you got it all speced out the way that looks best to you.

More last second edits: I just noticed that I got composite and component names mixed up again. No one is happy about composite cables unless the alternative was no cables.

14. Trigger hewwo uwu

the fact that you didn't mention the use of Comic Sans on the sign surprises me

15. Hayabusa Venomous

Thought it was obvious :x

16. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

is that ****ing comic sans
    ps, op, i'd like kh1 comparison pics

17. Stardust Chaser

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. 61 No. B

well dang.
    now i want one of these cables.

19. Stardust Chaser

Third party ones are cheap! Unless you're using an SDTV for gaming though, you're likely better off with the HD Remix and an HDMI cable.

20. 61 No. B

don't have a ps3
    have been using my ps2 on an hdtv for a while now and the quality is kinda gross but it's w/e. this would make it look nicer though.