Obama wins!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mirai, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destined Working for WDW

I did some research and guess who could have Obama's seat in the Senate: Mike Ditka.

We could have President Elect Ditka right now.

2. Scott Pilgrim Banned

Is that a bad thing? I'm not that into polotics.

3. John Clay Rice Hollow Bastion Committee

The Former coach of Da Bears.

4. Repliku Chaser

There are plenty of people who blindly followed McCain too. There are always going to be voters that follow a candidate for superficial reasons such as a person looks better or his/her voice is better, the clothes are better, someone is afraid of someone, etc. That's just how it goes.

I do think though people should stop pointing out this flaw because it is our right as Americans to vote for who we want to based on whatever reason there is. There were smart voters for both McCain and Obama who really studied their campaigns and went for the platforms the candidates ran. It's not fair to lump a ton of people as voting for either candidate as stupid and blindly following. It -definitely- happened on both sides and also it has happened since the beginning of voting for candidates in this country, let alone anywhere in the world.

5. Daenerys Targaryen ok

I'm kinda nervous.
    He should wear a bullet proof vest D:
    I mean, racist *****es will ****ing kill the poor guy.
    Also, he is associated with a bunch of not-so-good indivials.
    Eh..History is history.
    Good job Obama.D:​

6. Soushirei 運命の欠片

The Black Kennedy? *knock on wood*

7. EvilMan_89 Code Master

it couldn't hurt to wear one under his suit. i would wear one if i were him, i wonder if other presidents wear bullet proof vests.

anyways, while i was not an Obama supporter (not for long anyway, i was initially) at least his victory made alot of people happy.

8. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

well i'm not in america, but on the news it seemed obviouys that obama will win. I'm happy he did too, i believe he can do a better job than mccain

9. LoneWolf Hollow Bastion Committee

Oh teh noes!!!! He's doomed us allll!!!

10. *Sora* Gummi Ship Junkie

You know, things can be so bad. In all walks of life, many things seem unfair. For the last few years I have gone through so many false promises and disappointments (not exclusively political) that it can be a real challenge to fake optimism. I bought into Obama's "hope" like a brand name, knowing hope is not an infallible thing. Hope leaves room for error, and all too often you get the **** end of the deal. Many of us are used to things not going our way. Sometimes you get so used to being let down, you forget that things can be good. For all the bad hands I've been dealt, I feel reprimanded, because last night we cashed in hope for "victory", in at least the reminder that America still values intellect and progression, and the reassurance that yes, our futures and the lives of our children will be brighter than ours have been.

Yesterday was the first presidential election I've ever cared for, but I will always remember it as the first day that I was proud of my country.

11. Fallout Gummi Ship Junkie

Honestly, he only won because he was black.

He introduced a new view of politics and delivered good speeches, but I'm just being honest: he won because he was black.

And, of course, I don't speak without truth. The evidence can be viewed on TV interviews and videos all over the internet.

Don't get me wrong, he seems like he'll make a good president. But they're are so many african americans who just voted for him for his color.

It gets annoying when I go to school and hear people chanting the Obama phrase: "Yes we can!" People who do that are ignorant.

12. Sara Tea Drinker

Actually, he mostly won for everything but race.

He did everything right, he stumbled, but he picked himself up and dusted himself off and kept on going. McCain did the opposite in a lot of cases, he just kept on changing tactics that he thought he would win. He made massive mistakes, Palin was one of many. It wasn't race, it was he brought his message across better than anyone.

Also, I'm glad Obama won. Granted, McCain did well and a great conceding speech, I'm proud that we picked him as president.

Lets not worry about assassination, right now lets look at the historical significance that over 40 years ago wouldn't have been thought of.

13. Reisen Twilight Town Denizen

Well congrats goes to B. Obama.
    -His points double fairly more than McCain from last night. Seeing the
    obvious how he won Deleware, is quite acceptable to applauses.

14. Fallout Gummi Ship Junkie

He won some with his new ideas.

I'm not ridiculing Obama. But I am angry over some of the African American citizens who voted for him.

Most of them didn't even look into his VP pick or look at his beliefs. To some of them, they believed as long as there was a bro in office they didn't care what he believed. (Luckily Obama isn't going to be terrible President, but what if a truly terrible President (who is black) runs for office. And, because of the ignorance of some voters, he is elected?...I have nothing against people of different race, but I am wary of the ignorance of some voters.)

Obama won because of his speeches and new ideals, I admit that. But I strongly believe (and there is proof on the internet in interviews) that most of the African-Americans voted for him because of race.

15. Repliku Chaser

Obama did receive some votes for 'being black', no doubt. He also -lost- considerable votes because he's black. In the end, that measures out to being not so darn significant.

A majority of Blacks also have been a part of the Democratic party for -years- so trying to say they all voted for Obama just because he's black is pointless. They also steered very heavily towards Clinton, often joking he was the first black president as he talked with many blacks and was down to earth with them. Many republicans did not like Clinton even early on because of his demeanor and being amiable to the younger voters.

Now, on the same note: People voted for McCain because of the lies in saying Obama was a terrorist, he's 'Muslin', an Arab, he's black. Fox News went so far as to say some of the worst things around and I am constantly reminded of how out of touch some republicans are that they do not know what a fist bump is and instead label it a 'terrorist fist jab'. Obama had many people voting superficially for him AND against him.

For the rest of us who actually did study both candidates and voted for the man we believed would do the best and fell into our pattern of thoughts on the direction for the country, I find it rude that people keep going back to this other crap. Obama won because a majority of us who are educated and study politics and the world around us -do care- about the state of things now and want things altered. Also, Obama was cool and collected throughout the campaign, never really getting super angry. He showed a strength that even Bill O'Reilly said was there and he was not so wishy washy as people were led on to think by 3 am phone call ads and Palin's stupidity comments. He showed you can be tough and resilient without having to be a person that yells and grits his teeth all the time. How refreshing. Also, Biden was picked because he has more overseas experience than Obama and it filled in a spot in his resume people were worried about. What the hell good was Palin? Had McCain actually chosen Condi Rice or some other woman with some sensibility, he would have faired better. Blame the VP choice he made. It really is where he began to fail.

People that voted for McCain agree with McCain's policies. Were some people voting for either candidate for superficial reasons such as 'race'? Yes, but I think it quite demeaning to say that a lot of people were when so much is at stake and most people I talk to who voted for Obama or McCain in college are actually pretty smart about it. Other friends are too. I may not agree with McCain's policies and definitely not his VP choice, but I don't hate the guy at all and am glad he will be sticking around as a senator. Being angry at black voters for Obama getting his position, it's stupid. It's as stupid as if McCain had won for us to say it was done out of race too, even though we -KNOW- there are people who hate black people and said so and some at Palin's rallies who were just ultimate idiots.

Give it a rest.

16. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

I think that this is leaning on the bullshit side. No offense to you, but I highly doubt most African Americans voted for Obama because he is black. Most of his strongest supporters voted for him because of his policies. During the primaries Obama specifically strayed away from the "race card." I'm going to quote Colin Powell on this one: Obama happened to be black while being elected president.

17. Sara Tea Drinker

Also, the reason why people were chanting: "Yes we can!" Is because 43 years ago, only whites could vote. African Americans DREAMED of being able to vote. They probably never thought of a day where they could see an African American president.

Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream was to have everyone equal. This is part of that dream to many people, white black or purple. I agree with Repliku, it didn't come down to race. Jessie Jackson proved it the god-knows how many times he ran and lost in the primaries.

He had something John McCain had, and they made mistakes, so did McCain. Just so many people were worried about the major factors and saw McCain too much like Bush to vote for him.

18. EvilMan_89 Code Master

just one question for you: you seem to REALLY hate Fox News but why do you keep watching it? i'm just curious, i always see you say something about Fox News but it seems like you keep watching it.
    yea but they were free to vote during the 1992, 1996, and 2000 race too but no one was chanting "Yes we can!" so that doesn't make sense to me.

19. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Obama didn't even run as "black" or "African American". He ran as "post-racial", probably to indicate that he is of mixed race.

And anyway, now of all times people need to stop *****ing and stand behind their new leader and give him the benefit of the doubt rather than criticising him before he has even started.

@EvilMan: Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you ignore it. It is a source of news and information and you need to compare different sources to find the most accurate information.

Also, surely "Yes, We Can" was Obama's chant of choice? It was his campaign thing so of course they would be chanting it *eyeroll*

20. *Sora* Gummi Ship Junkie

Evil, we watch Fox News still because it's a completely agenda-driven media source and it's always nice to know that there are people out there that don't deserve the luxuries this country provides them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.