Non-sexual poll dancing for kids? O.o

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Maka Albarn, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Maka Albarn It's called love

Okieday! I heard this on the radio last night, and I kind of want to see what you all have to say about this. If you are uncomfortable with the topic, don't read it. Here's the article about it:

My thoughts: In the American society, poll dancing has been taken on as a sexual way. Any dance that has to do with a poll, and everyone is like, "OPE! They're poll dancing!" Maybe in the future dancing with a poll won't be taken as a sexual way, but for now, that is what's mostly on everyone's minds when they think of a poll and dancing. And then put a kid with that. ><

Your thoughts?

2. Misty gimme kiss

I can see how this can go horribly wrong, but in theory, I really don't see how teaching children to pole dance is a bad idea, so long as there is no sort of sexuality to it. Pole dancing is incredible work out, and considering the obesity problems today, I welcome any form of exercise that kids enjoy.

On the other hand, it can turn into a sexual thing for the children... and that would be bad. But really, I don't see why we should automatically reject something just because it has raunchy roots.

3. Mvalentine King's Apprentice

one video on the internet or one sexual tv show or movie and one kid will try a sexual way...others will follow I can see many ways of it turning kids into slluts

4. SpazticFantaztic >:3 Kingdom Keeper

I mean, really, it'd be fine for kids, but what happens when they reach an older age and learn about the sexual roots in the exercise? Will they accept it, or wonder why they were permitted to learn something that has a deeper meaning to adults?

5. Misty gimme kiss

Well I mean really you can make any sort of sport sexual by just having a chick dressed in lingerie doing it. Kids do some pretty risque dances and they turn out okay, I don't see why pole dancing is too different.

6. Shadox D. Twilight Town Denizen

I think its fine to teach children pole dancing because it is such an intense workout. Just because someone pole dances doesnt mean that the matter has to be taken sexually.

7. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I don't see a problem with it.
    Just another form of exercise.

There is a difference between pole dancing and stripping, just like stated in there.

And besides
    Kids don't need this to be sexual at their age.

8. C This silence is mine

I'm fine with it. As others have said it really is just another form of exercise, the kids don't think it's sexual and there's really not anything wrong with it then. I don't really see why people would make a big deal out this, they're not actually stripping...

9. Umiyuri Papaeyra Gummi Ship Junkie

...As long as, by non-sexual pole-dancing, they mean dancing around the maypole-

10. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Just cannot fathom it, that disapproving attitude towards anything even slightly suggestive - an innocent act, pole-dancing, could only be construed as dirty by the corrupted minds that hint at it. Hypocrites, the lot of them. The minds in question here should not be that of the dancing instructors, but the opposers themselves. A malignant mindset indeed, very destructive. And if the kiddies decide to take it onto a whole other level once older (mainly, sexually)? The problem? I don't see it. It is a senseless belief, that nudity and sex is "sinful". Unrighteous? Hardly. Let them do whatever they wish to do, nastily lewd or not. To disallow them such a privilege, would be grossly controlling, methinks.

*bump*

Yes, I have a (bad?) habit of reviving ancient threads.

11. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Yeah, pole dancing is a workout, but how can they make it non-sexual? That's what I'm wondering about. If they just climb them jump up and down to build muscle and burn fat... And yeah, I wouldn't approve of it, seeing as pole dancing has to be sexual. No matter how you look at it, it is erotic.

EDIT: Wow, this is an old thread o.o

12. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

I believe I can sum up the my views in one sentance:

The classification classifies the classifier.

If people don't want to have children doing pole danceing in a non-sexual way for exercise which is aerobic and great cardio, just because of slightly sordid roots, then what does that say about them? Did you know, perchance, that ballet was once outlawed in German theatres (I believe) for performance because it was seen to be risqué? There are many other things which we consider normal to us now, that were actually frowned upon and seen as scandalous in history.

13. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Thing is that ballet wasn't made for erotic reasons, while pole dancing was initially made to be sexual. I'm all for pole-dancing as a way of working out, but not for kids. Kids could just as well dance regularly as to be on a pole. When they're 16-18 years, go ahead, I won't stop them, but pole-dancing originated as something sexual, and will always be interpreted as something sexual, at least to the majority of people.

14. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Not necessarily.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_dance
    It wasn't meant to be erotic, just impressive as a skill. And besides, wouldn't it be a good idea to desexualize such a good form of exercise, especially for children? If our children grow up believing it to only be a form of fun exercise, it'll eventually become just that. It'll be a mundane exercise that is only erotic when the performer is showing more skin. Have you ever done leg raises before? Lying on the ground and raising one leg at a time sounds very provocative, doesn't it?

15. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Fair enough. However, one could try to desexualize it, but seeing how "integrated" it is in the society as something erotic, I fail to see it working. It might, but until there's a 50/50 of people who use it to work out vs. the ones who use it sexually, I fail to see it being something children would do.

Until adults use pole dancing for work-out in the open (say you have poles in a gym or something) then it would be strange to have your 12 year old kid swinging around on a pole... That's what I think at least.
    And I've done the leg raising, and no, it's not provocative.

16. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Well you need to understand how society works, at least as far as I've observed. Adults have very little to do with popularizing things. It's the middle generation (this era's middle generation, for example, would be us) that tends to be the trendsetters. So, because the kids doing the pole dancing now are being trained not to register the activity as erotic and will soon be the middle generation, it's a safe bet that they'll popularize it as a form of art and exercise. My bet is that it will be all but completely desexualized within 50 years from now.

17. Saxima [screams geometrically]

Maybe is just my bias or the fact that I used to do it when I was younger and I experienced terrible things, but I don't think that kids should be wearing skimpy clothes, entering pageants, covering their faces with makeup and looking like a clowns, or anything else related to that matter. I don't approve of my sister doing it and she's seven, and I don't approve of other parents putting their children in those kinds of activities.

This "nonsexual poll dancing" is just another one of those things. It goes against my morals and children shouldn't be doing it, even if it is for exercise. I don't even care if it's a good source of exercise - there are other sources of it.

It seems to me that this influences a child to be...I don't know. But something not good.

If you're a stripped, awesome, good for you, I'm glad you like doing that in life, but you're an adult, these are children and children should do childlike things. Not this bull called "nonsexual" poll dancing.

18. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I know we are the trendsetters, but if you look at how open the world is towards sex and sexuality, don't you think that will have an effect? I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying due to how the society is now, I think it will take about 1-2 generations before it is "accepted" as a regular form of workout. Personally, I would not like my kids to do it, as I look at poledancing as something erotic. However, I do understand that the people who don't see it as a sexual (erotic/exotic) dance, it would be a way for them to work out. Personally though, I wouldn't my kid to do it, simply because I view it as a sexual dance.
    Of course, I may be wrong, as I haven't seen how one of these lessons actually are. I do have a friend who does the work-out though (she even has her own pole), and trust me, it's very erotic.

19. The Fuk? Dead

I don't see anything wrong with it, but there must be some other way these kids can get exercise.

20. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

But if we don't try to desexualize it in the manner most likely to work, how will it ever be socially acceptable? And if you're wondering, one benefit of desexualizing pole acrobatics would like be less focus on sex in society, albeit not significantly less.

And see, that's where social constructs get us in life. You know that in most situations it is meant to be erotic, and thus you see it as erotic in all situations.
    There's always another way, but this form of exercise just happens to be a fun and highly effective way of exercising the core muscles. Why fix something that works pretty damn well? (Excuse my English)